North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1247)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 13 Sep 2013

Just reading through the few comments over the past few hours, and I think they are quite interesting.

Personally I also liked the original Metrolink Livery as I also liked that Standard Livery at the time, tbh I wish it was still about as much as I like the Northern Brand it's a bit on the plain side.

As for the incoming Citaros I think they should be in a Dark Greyish/Silver Colour, as it would be similar to that of the Refurbished Metro Livery. As for the M1 being re-numbered 4, is it really that bad, I don't think it is personally I think it could be a good move, as long as GNE follow it up with the M2/M3. As it would be pointless Re-Numbering one Service but not the others.

As someone above mentioned "4Metro", Although some may think that is a Terrible Brand Name, I quite like it, The more I say it, The more I like it. Now I do like the "Metrolink" Brand Name, But perhaps a little Repackage of the Brand as the "Metrolink" Brand is what like 7 Years Old now, I will be good if rumour is true.

Now I have came if with Two Liveries, One for Metrolink and One for 4Metro.

Metrolink

[attachment=4605]

4Metro

[attachment=4606]

RE: Go North East - Latest - eezypeazy - 13 Sep 2013

(13 Sep 2013, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 wrote What colour is a red Northern bus?
Cos I'm pretty certain you would argue it was blue.
A Red Northern Bus is a Red Northern Bus... although some people would spend many hours discussing shades/pantone references/etc Big Grin

(13 Sep 2013, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 wrote Right... One last time, it might sink in: To force (verb) to cause a person or thing to follow a prescribed or dictated course.

Q: What is the lack of a bus doing to the people in the Tyne Valley?

Is it:
A ) Causing that person to follow a prescribed course and seek alternative forms of transport (see definition of force taken from a dictionary)
to get to their destination?

Precisely... a lack of a bus is NOT causing that person to follow a prescribed course... this is the bit you don't understand. The lack of a bus (anywhere - even in Fencehouses) causes a constraint of options; it does not prescribe or dictate what happens next. It cause them to seek alternatives (as we both agree, I think), but that's just life...

This is more important than this debate... it's a fundamental discussion of what's happening, today, in many rural communities (and others not so rural). For example, you can trace it back to the Durham County Council 'Category D' classification in the 50s/60s. DCC wanted villages that had been built around collieries to die; some did, some survived as dormitories. DCC's argument that was the cost of providing schools/shops/doctors and, yes, transport to these places was excessive, given that there real purpose (ie., coal mining) had gone.

If you've always lived in a remote, isolated community, you've never had the benefit of public transport; you've never had it, so it's never been taken away from you. So why should the lack of public transport be translated into you being "forced" (your word) to use an alternative, where public transport has never existed? And why should the need to provide public transport become a responsibility on either a bus company or a local authority? (Whole new debate opens up - hopefully...).

Believe me, I'm not trying to have a debate about words here; I'm trying to stimulate debate about the benefits, and limitations, of public transport, and buses in particular. But I do get upset when people describe a bus service that's carrying no-one as a "life line" (how often do you read that in a newspaper?); and that's why I object to words like "forced" being used inappropriately.

As enthusiasts (and I guess I've been one for longer than most people on here), shouldn't we be spending our time encouraging others to use buses, rather than getting our knickers in a knot when the wrong colour bus turns up? The more people use buses, the greater the demand, the more buses there will be and the more interesting and varied this hobby of ours becomes. But if all we do is perpetuate negatives, well, we're just talking the industry down and doing it - and ourselves - no favours at all.

(13 Sep 2013, 6:07 pm)Andreos1 wrote If I didn't know better, I could have sworn he wrote in the style and manner of a well known GNE facebook page...

Oh, I wish... then I might be earning a helluva lot more than I do now...!!!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 13 Sep 2013

Without drawing myself into this debate, which I think has more than ran it's course now, I'll just respond to one of your final points. I think anything further on this debate should really enter the off topic forum..

(13 Sep 2013, 9:53 pm)eezypeazy wrote As enthusiasts (and I guess I've been one for longer than most people on here), shouldn't we be spending our time encouraging others to use buses, rather than getting our knickers in a knot when the wrong colour bus turns up? The more people use buses, the greater the demand, the more buses there will be and the more interesting and varied this hobby of ours becomes. But if all we do is perpetuate negatives, well, we're just talking the industry down and doing it - and ourselves - no favours at all.

On that first sentence, I couldn't agree with you more to be honest. I do feel that enthusiasts should be encouraging others to use buses. My worry is if that suddenly started happening tomorrow, it would be completely one sided. There has to be just as much give as there is take.

The bus industry has has almost developed a closed door policy, and has forgotten about the basic principals of customer care. Aside from bus station management, which I think GNE especially do very well with, I get the impression a lot of customers feel unloved by all the big operators. I know it''s been discussed above, but I do think a lot of customers are using buses as a last resort, and that they wouldn't if they have a viable alternative. That's a trend only the operators can change - not enthusiasts.

eezypeazy, we've had a massive discussion on here about poor customer service. You might of seen our almost endless thread on the life and times of Go North East's Facebook page. Perhaps GNE have been a victim of their own success here. Their page is by far the largest of the big three operators in the region (although Stagecoach don't have one!). I would say a fair summary of what members of this site think about the GNE Facebook page would be "a shambles".

If I was sitting behind Kevin Carr's desk today, and I seen a summary like that drawn about the customer service my organisation is providing, I'd be distraught. Not only that, but I'd also have a complete strategy to ensure that trend is completely reversed, and that my customers receive second to NONE service going forward. If you were behind that same desk, would you rather have customers that WANT to keep using your services - because they think you provide a great service, or customers that NEED to use your service - because they feel that they have no viable alternative?

Another thing that really gets me is how faceless the management teams of these big companies have become. I would never doubt that some real work goes on behind the scenes, but your customers want to see you! I can't think of the last time I heard of senior managers getting really involved with their customers? It's amazing how easy this tactic builds up relationships with customer bases. I remember Peter Huntley having a 2 hour window every week when he was in charge, which was in it's simplest form, an open door policy to everyone. How many companies can you think of that does this? I really think GNE had something unique here, and would have loved Arriva and Stagecoach to follow suit. There again, even GNE have slammed the door well and truly shut on that one.

I'd love to see one of the big three operators set up a customer based focus group/consultation panel. There's a real opportunity here, and one for these companies to really interact with their passengers. All for the sake of a couple of hours a month. Heck, I'd even donate my own time and experience to chair such a thing if any of them were willing to give it a shot.

In summary. I'd love nothing more than seeing bus usage rapidly increase year on year. It benefits us just as much as it benefits the companies. There's a lot of broken bridges and middle ground to cover before people are sold on this though. Convincing enthusiasts is the least of these companies worries. It's your average Joe that you need to please.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 14 Sep 2013

(13 Sep 2013, 9:53 pm)eezypeazy wrote A Red Northern Bus is a Red Northern Bus... although some people would spend many hours discussing shades/pantone references/etc Big Grin

Precisely... a lack of a bus is NOT causing that person to follow a prescribed course... this is the bit you don't understand. The lack of a bus (anywhere - even in Fencehouses) causes a constraint of options; it does not prescribe or dictate what happens next. It cause them to seek alternatives (as we both agree, I think), but that's just life...

This is more important than this debate... it's a fundamental discussion of what's happening, today, in many rural communities (and others not so rural). For example, you can trace it back to the Durham County Council 'Category D' classification in the 50s/60s. DCC wanted villages that had been built around collieries to die; some did, some survived as dormitories. DCC's argument that was the cost of providing schools/shops/doctors and, yes, transport to these places was excessive, given that there real purpose (ie., coal mining) had gone.

If you've always lived in a remote, isolated community, you've never had the benefit of public transport; you've never had it, so it's never been taken away from you. So why should the lack of public transport be translated into you being "forced" (your word) to use an alternative, where public transport has never existed? And why should the need to provide public transport become a responsibility on either a bus company or a local authority? (Whole new debate opens up - hopefully...).

Believe me, I'm not trying to have a debate about words here; I'm trying to stimulate debate about the benefits, and limitations, of public transport, and buses in particular. But I do get upset when people describe a bus service that's carrying no-one as a "life line" (how often do you read that in a newspaper?); and that's why I object to words like "forced" being used inappropriately.

As enthusiasts (and I guess I've been one for longer than most people on here), shouldn't we be spending our time encouraging others to use buses, rather than getting our knickers in a knot when the wrong colour bus turns up? The more people use buses, the greater the demand, the more buses there will be and the more interesting and varied this hobby of ours becomes. But if all we do is perpetuate negatives, well, we're just talking the industry down and doing it - and ourselves - no favours at all.

Oh, I wish... then I might be earning a helluva lot more than I do now...!!!

If you don't like what I or others write, then don't bother replying.

If you feel that there should be debates about other topics or discussions, start one off.

However stalking my posts and being "pedantic" about the wording I have used, having personal digs about me or my opinions as you did in the QC thread or making things up and denouncing our questions in the Network Ticketing thread - isn`t the best way to have a debate is it?
I certainly can't be arsed to discuss QCS with you any longer and the thread has died a death over the last few weeks.

I couldn't give a rats chuff, whether you "have been an enthusiast longer than most people on here" and to be honest, is irrelevant, unless you can share that knowledge in the most suitable context, whilst showing the respect that other members of this forum deserve.

A quick question though eezypeazy/Ian, particularly relevant after you called me troll and your admission to wanting debate and discussions: How many other people have you had a discussion with or quoted on this forum, apart from myself?

RE: Go North East - Latest - MrFozz - 14 Sep 2013

I'd love to see one of the big three operators set up a customer based focus group/consultation panel. There's a real opportunity here, and one for these companies to really interact with their passengers. All for the sake of a couple of hours a month. Heck, I'd even donate my own time and experience to chair such a thing if any of them were willing to give it a shot.

I have thought about this many times, and my idea was to have Customer Reps from each area covering services in the area they represent that would feed into a North East Bus Users Forum manned by Representatives from The Big 3...

My Idea would be to split up areas either, by the Buzzfare Zones with 2 reps in each colour or go for splitting into areas (Sunderland South and East Durham, Sunderland North and South Tyneside and so on) and then they would attend either monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly meetings with the top dogs and also meet with Service Delivery Managers and Depot Management every now and again. That said, I also thought Arriva and Stagecoach could do something like this and between the three of them setup a North East Forum for bus use that is Customer Led and it is just another metbod of communictating with each other only through the mouths and opinions of customers.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 14 Sep 2013

Red 5229 is on 0944 Allenheads to Hexham service 688 and Wi-Fi works (slowly) even at Allenheads. Currently at Dirt Pot (altho road signs for this wonderfully named hamlet seem to have disappeared)

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 14 Sep 2013

(14 Sep 2013, 9:12 am)Greg in Weardale wrote Red 5229 is on 0944 Allenheads to Hexham service 688 and Wi-Fi works (slowly) even at Allenheads. Currently at Dirt Pot (altho road signs for this wonderfully named hamlet seem to have disappeared)
And I hear MPD 555 is on 1010 X85 from Newcastle ha ha ha !!!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 14 Sep 2013

Oh i bet that's fun, bet the passengers are having a good time!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 14 Sep 2013

Post on FB says.. theirs being a crash between a bike and bus in front of stadium of light

RE: Go North East - Latest - MrFozz - 14 Sep 2013

(14 Sep 2013, 9:56 am)Michael wrote Post on FB says.. theirs being a crash between a bike and bus in front of stadium of light

Hope that gets cleared up quick, potential carnage on the roads with SAFC being at home

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 14 Sep 2013

(13 Sep 2013, 7:24 pm)Andreos1 wrote 4 play?

If it is the 4 (like BJ10 VUS, I'm sceptical), how many key points does it serve?
- Houghton
- Galleries
- Concord
- Heworth

Nah, not even GNE are that daft - surely?

4 Play?

You really think they are daft enough to call a bus foreplay?

Haway Five 0 man!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 14 Sep 2013

544 sounds rather unhealthy on 99s today... Apparently was facing some problems earlier but after a reset it sorted itself out.

(14 Sep 2013, 11:46 am)gtomlinson wrote 4 Play?

You really think they are daft enough to call a bus foreplay?

Haway Five 0 man!

Oh I'm not sure.
If you think about some of their examples...

Then if you think about the current route, just as you think you're getting somewhere, it teases you, deviating off down another avenue.
It slows down, picks up speed again and your heart races as you think you're nearly there - before deviating around another curve.
You feel your body shaking, with vibrations racing through your body, thrown about like a rag doll.
Then all of a sudden - bam! You have reached your destination! Heaven... I mean, erm Heworth!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Acky81 - 14 Sep 2013

Switch 35 back to as it was previous and axe 99 waste of fuel I say

4907 didn't last long in service... Don't say I didn't warn you all!
Is now VOR again, alongside Hybrid 640.

(14 Sep 2013, 2:54 pm)Liam wrote The only way to advertise fare increases...

Roll on Monday and a series of posts questioning the rise and a series of replies stating they were advertised...

(14 Sep 2013, 2:20 pm)Daniel wrote 4907 didn't last long in service... Don't say I didn't warn you all!
Is now VOR again, alongside Hybrid 640.

Is now in service following a quick road test earlier, and has replaced East Durham MPD 520 on 700s. 628 is still being used, alongside 629.

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 14 Sep 2013

What bus/service was involved in the incident beside the stadium of light? And it's about time Go North East sorted out the links they post. http://www.simplygo.com/view-all-timetables/?timetable_keywords=durham&timetable_keywordsTo= advertising what bus services serve 'Durham' and as everyone knows the X9/5/X30/38/X7 serve Durham too, well they do now!

And 544 has always sounded very unhealthy, often on the 238's and it sounds terrible I actually couldn't hear my friend who was sitting next to me! Very loud and tired.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 14 Sep 2013

(14 Sep 2013, 6:37 pm)CatsFast101 wrote What bus/service was involved in the incident beside the stadium of light? And it's about time Go North East sorted out the links they post. http://www.simplygo.com/view-all-timetables/?timetable_keywords=durham&timetable_keywordsTo= advertising what bus services serve 'Durham' and as everyone knows the X9/5/X30/38/X7 serve Durham too, well they do now!

And 544 has always sounded very unhealthy, often on the 238's and it sounds terrible I actually couldn't hear my friend who was sitting next to me! Very loud and tired.

I can see why the X7/X9/X30 as Peterlee is part of County Durham, hence why they would've been brought up, as for the 5/38 I have no idea.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 14 Sep 2013

(14 Sep 2013, 6:52 pm)citaro5284 wrote Durham Drive for the 5 in Fellgate, and East Durham on the 38/238 timetable.

There we go, Question has been answered haha.