North East Buses
Whats made you happy today? - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Whats made you happy today? (/showthread.php?tid=930)

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Dan - 04 Aug 2014

(04 Aug 2014, 5:46 pm)citaro5284 Pleased you enjoyed it. Not everyone who works for GNE is a cantankerous bugger like me Tongue

One way of putting it..! Wink

(04 Aug 2014, 5:51 pm)Tom Glad to hear you enjoyed it - do you plan to become a driver or anything?

Probably not, although I'd argue it could be a good stepping stone in life if I did.

As a kid, I always wanted to own my own bus/coach company. As I've grown older, I've expanded that to be any business. My childhood aspiration is the reason why this month is so important to me. Although Go North East is a large company, the principles of what they do would have to be carried out with any bus operator - no matter how large or small.

I discovered today that, from the moment you apply for the job, it takes around three months for you to actually get behind the wheel and start driving (if, of course, you are successful - many aren't) - and that's when your mentor will be training you on various routes, etc. I honestly didn't think it would take quite so long.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Tom - 04 Aug 2014

(04 Aug 2014, 5:57 pm)Dan One way of putting it..! Wink

Probably not, although I'd argue it could be a good stepping stone in life if I did.

As a kid, I always wanted to own my own bus/coach company. As I've grown older, I've expanded that to be any business. My childhood aspiration is the reason why this month is so important to me. Although Go North East is a large company, the principles of what they do would have to be carried out with any bus operator - no matter how large or small.

I discovered today that, from the moment you apply for the job, it takes around three months for you to actually get behind the wheel and start driving (if, of course, you are successful - many aren't) - and that's when your mentor will be training you on various routes, etc. I honestly didn't think it would take quite so long.

I'd love to be a bus driver and work my way up - and as this year is a incredibly important year (options) I need to make my mind up quickly. Business and Travel and Tourism is a no brainer for me. I'll probably get selected for the English Baccalaureate thing and have to pick a language (German) and a Humanities which will be Geography.

I don't know what will help me become a bus driver, but are you going to sixth form or college? I'd much prefer college, but not sure what one would be more beneficial. Not sure about uni mind.

(04 Aug 2014, 6:04 pm)Tom I'd love to be a bus driver and work my way up - and as this year is a incredibly important year (options) I need to make my mind up quickly. Business and Travel and Tourism is a no brainer for me. I'll probably get selected for the English Baccalaureate thing and have to pick a language (German) and a Humanities which will be Geography.

I don't know what will help me become a bus driver, but are you going to sixth form or college? I'd much prefer college, but not sure what one would be more beneficial. Not sure about uni mind.

If you have Connexions in your school, they'll be forever getting onto you about how important your GCSE options are, because they map out your life in future. Trust me, the majority of people I know have now finished their GCSE course and are moving onto A-Levels or the college equivalent, and a lot of them still have no idea.

I've now chosen my A-Levels for Sixth Form (ICT, Media Studies, Business Studies and English - if you're interested), and still don't have a definitive idea.

To become a bus driver, I don't think your qualifications at school matter greatly. You will have to undergo a basic arithmetic test if you succeed in the interview too, but I think it is on the same level of difficulty as you'll find in GCSE exams. One of the guys I'm working with at the moment asked me if I want to brush up on my theory about road signs etc, and I can take the test at some point, as a bit of practice. Should be interesting!

Obviously, the higher up you want to get in the company, your qualifications most likely will matter. I was in the Recruitment Department today and several people had interviews. From what I've been told, as long as you meet the criteria (for Go North East as set here), you're at an immediate advantage - so be sure to read that! Other main factors which really influence the interviewer's decision on whether to put you through to the next stage in the recruitment process is how presentable you are in the interview (are you confident, how did you greet the interviewer, etc) and if you're on-time or not. Connexions (or whoever you've got at your school) will constantly bang on about this being so important - you'll get sick of it, and it sounds so obvious, but I'd imagine that nerves can get the better of you in an interview (especially if it's your first).

(04 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm)Dan If you have Connexions in your school, they'll be forever getting onto you about how important your GCSE options are, because they map out your life in future. Trust me, the majority of people I know have now finished their GCSE course and are moving onto A-Levels or the college equivalent, and a lot of them still have no idea.

I've now chosen my A-Levels for Sixth Form (ICT, Media Studies, Business Studies and English - if you're interested), and still don't have a definitive idea.

To become a bus driver, I don't think your qualifications at school matter greatly. You will have to undergo a basic arithmetic test if you succeed in the interview too, but I think it is on the same level of difficulty as you'll find in GCSE exams. One of the guys I'm working with at the moment asked me if I want to brush up on my theory about road signs etc, and I can take the test at some point, as a bit of practice. Should be interesting!

Obviously, the higher up you want to get in the company, your qualifications most likely will matter. I was in the Recruitment Department today and several people had interviews. From what I've been told, as long as you meet the criteria (for Go North East as set here), you're at an immediate advantage - so be sure to read that! Other main factors which really influence the interviewer's decision on whether to put you through to the next stage in the recruitment process is how presentable you are in the interview (are you confident, how did you greet the interviewer, etc) and if you're on-time or not. Connexions (or whoever you've got at your school) will constantly bang on about this being so important - you'll get sick of it, and it sounds so obvious, but I'd imagine that nerves can get the better of you in an interview (especially if it's your first).

But I'd imagine you'd have an advantage if you have better qualifications?
So if I went for an interview at 21, and had my license for say three years, without any convictions I'd be accepted? Sounds easy enough? I'm sure being an enthusiast will give you an advantage too, knowing the routes and having more passion for the job etc.

Do you go on work experience in Year 10? If so how do they decide where you go?

(04 Aug 2014, 6:24 pm)Tom But I'd imagine you'd have an advantage if you have better qualifications?
So if I went for an interview at 21, and had my license for say three years, without any convictions I'd be accepted? Sounds easy enough? I'm sure being an enthusiast will give you an advantage too, knowing the routes and having more passion for the job etc.

Do you go on work experience in Year 10? If so how do they decide where you go?

Most schools do Work Experience in Year 10, but my school chooses to do it at the end of Year 11 after we've completed our final exam so that we don't miss out on any hours in school.

It will vary depending on school, and depending on who your school has to help you. Like I mentioned above, Connexions are always in my school giving careers advice (mentioning things like being on-time for interviews, looking smart, shaking the interviewer's hand confidently, etc) and they'll communicate with teachers in your school who will organise the placement for you. I certainly didn't have much of an input with my placement, but was told that, as Morrisons was fairly local, that would be ideal for me.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - DanPicken - 04 Aug 2014

(04 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm)Dan If you have Connexions in your school, they'll be forever getting onto you about how important your GCSE options are, because they map out your life in future. Trust me, the majority of people I know have now finished their GCSE course and are moving onto A-Levels or the college equivalent, and a lot of them still have no idea.

The critertia thing for favoured depot doesn't list Riverside.

(04 Aug 2014, 6:58 pm)danpick The critertia thing for favoured depot doesn't list Riverside.

They mustn't need any more drivers at Riverside at the moment. A woman who I had a chat with in the waiting room this morning was applying for a job at Hexham.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - DanPicken - 04 Aug 2014

(04 Aug 2014, 7:01 pm)Dan They mustn't need any more drivers at Riverside at the moment. A woman who I had a chat with in the waiting room this morning was applying for a job at Hexham.

Don't know which one I would go for.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Adrian - 04 Aug 2014

Glad you enjoyed your first day. Any experience is good experience in my book. I usually find I learn just as much from my bad experiences too. Tongue

We used to have the same pep talk when Connexions came in to my school, and they actually used to hold some mock interview sessions with real employers. On top of all that, I often find it's useful to learn about the company you're applying for, as well as some of the history. I can't think of an interview I've had where I haven't been asked.

(04 Aug 2014, 6:31 pm)Dan Most schools do Work Experience in Year 10, but my school chooses to do it at the end of Year 11 after we've completed our final exam so that we don't miss out on any hours in school.

It will vary depending on school, and depending on who your school has to help you. Like I mentioned above, Connexions are always in my school giving careers advice (mentioning things like being on-time for interviews, looking smart, shaking the interviewer's hand confidently, etc) and they'll communicate with teachers in your school who will organise the placement for you. I certainly didn't have much of an input with my placement, but was told that, as Morrisons was fairly local, that would be ideal for me.

Aye we have Connexions.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - citaro5284 - 04 Aug 2014

(04 Aug 2014, 6:58 pm)danpick The critertia thing for favoured depot doesn't list Riverside.

Drivers for Riverside start at Saltmeadows first.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - mb134 - 05 Aug 2014

The driver of 7524 on my X22 home tonight, smiling and when I gave him my teencard proceeded to ask where I was going by using my name, making the whole thing more friendly and after a tough day it was refreshing Smile

RE: Whats made you happy today? - northern156 - 06 Aug 2014

My first car which I bought and insured today for me to start using from Sunday!!

Re Work Experience, I did another 5 weeks voluntary work with Stagecoach (They paid my bus travel etc) on the engineering side. I don't think I would be in the apprenticeship I am now, on the railway - which was something I've always wanted to work in.

Connexions at my school were crap - they didn't really understand anything about the transport industry!
I'd say most definitely that experience serves more value than qualifications, as qualifications say you were good in an exam and are merely a bit of paper. IMO anyway.

Re: RE: Whats made you happy today? - MrFozz - 06 Aug 2014

(06 Aug 2014, 9:39 pm)northern156 My first car which I bought and insured today for me to start using from Sunday!!

Re Work Experience, I did another 5 weeks voluntary work with Stagecoach (They paid my bus travel etc) on the engineering side. I don't think I would be in the apprenticeship I am now, on the railway - which was something I've always wanted to work in.

Connexions at my school were crap - they didn't really understand anything about the transport industry!
I'd say most definitely that experience serves more value than qualifications, as qualifications say you were good in an exam and are merely a bit of paper. IMO anyway.

Gonna take me for a spin in your motor sometime Sean [WINKING FACE] lol

RE: Whats made you happy today? - MrFozz - 07 Aug 2014

Not a happy situation really, but happy with how it was dealt with, seen a man possibly having a stroke on a bus in Hendon earlier on, guy couldn't stand up, speech was slurred and the right side of his face was drooping, heard the guys son say he was recovering from a recent stroke but said something just wasn't right...I know the bus driver has a duty of care to passengers but the bus driver was great, the guy just wanted to get home and the driver was adamant he sat down and called the ambulance...Even apologised to me and the other passengers for the inconvenience saying 'there was no way I was letting him off the bus', I just said 'nothing to apologise for mate you did the right'...

I would expect the same courtesy towards me if I needed help and it would be scandalous if the driver just let him go...Top marks to the driver

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Adrian - 08 Aug 2014

Seen something quite brilliant on my way to work today.

Lad gets on the 21 in front of me (alone), and asks "can I have a family buzzfare?"
Driver replies with a stern "No."
Lad replies "Eh whys that like?"
Driver responds "Where's your family like?"

Lad gives up and just asks for a single instead. Big Grin

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Malarkey - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 9:40 pm)aureolin Seen something quite brilliant on my way to work today.

Lad gets on the 21 in front of me (alone), and asks "can I have a family buzzfare?"

Well there all imaginary you see until I get to Newcastle, Then we are off to Wet N Wild for the Day.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Jimmi - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 9:40 pm)aureolin Seen something quite brilliant on my way to work today.

I've seen people trying to pass for half fare before too.

Re: RE: Whats made you happy today? - Adrian - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 9:53 pm)Jimmi I've seen people trying to pass for half fare before too.
I quite often see people try and blag half fare. I remember doing it myself for years on days I forgot my Orange pass. Smile was just funny to hear the driver's response.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Andreos1 - 09 Aug 2014

(07 Aug 2014, 4:04 pm)marxistafozzski Not a happy situation really, but happy with how it was dealt with, seen a man possibly having a stroke on a bus in Hendon earlier on, guy couldn't stand up, speech was slurred and the right side of his face was drooping, heard the guys son say he was recovering from a recent stroke but said something just wasn't right...I know the bus driver has a duty of care to passengers but the bus driver was great, the guy just wanted to get home and the driver was adamant he sat down and called the ambulance...Even apologised to me and the other passengers for the inconvenience saying 'there was no way I was letting him off the bus', I just said 'nothing to apologise for mate you did the right'...

I would expect the same courtesy towards me if I needed help and it would be scandalous if the driver just let him go...Top marks to the driver

Top marks to that driver and hopefully he did enough to help his passenger out.