North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=2149)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - deanmachine - 22 Aug 2018

(22 Aug 2018, 12:51 pm)Andreos1 Even with the convoluted nature of the 2 services within Washington and the two bus stations within Washington being quite a distance apart?

I would argue Washington Galleries should be used throughout. Can't get any more clearer than that (I won't mention via points) and it reduces elements of confusion and technology failing.

Those living between Penshaw and The Galleries are likely to be regular passengers on that section of route and probably do so in greater numbers than those prior to Penshaw. 
I would suggest they know where the service terminates by virtue of this. 
Those irregular passengers who don't go to the Galleries or Washington too often or are boarding at a point somewhere on Chester Road or even in Sunderland City centre - could benefit from Galleries being displayed prior to boarding.

The lack of route branding (specific to the route opposed to generic chat noir branding) can't help either.

I don't know, if I seen a bus with "Washington" on the front, I'd assume it would take me to the town centre, even if I didn't know the name of it, not everyone knows the name of the Galleries. Whereas "Washington" is a bit of a useless display once you're in Washington itself. I don't see the problem.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Andreos1 - 22 Aug 2018

(22 Aug 2018, 7:43 pm)deanmachine I don't know, if I seen a bus with "Washington" on the front, I'd assume it would take me to the town centre, even if I didn't know the name of it, not everyone knows the name of the Galleries. Whereas "Washington" is a bit of a useless display once you're in Washington itself. I don't see the problem.

I'm trying not to sound flippant here and I apologise if it comes across that way.
If you and others assume that Washington on the blind denotes a bus that takes you to the town centre/galleries, why does the display need to change once it is on its approach to said destination?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Jamie M - 23 Aug 2018

(22 Aug 2018, 11:35 pm)Andreos1 I'm trying not to sound flippant here and I apologise if it comes across that way.
If you and others assume that Washington on the blind denotes a bus that takes you to the town centre/galleries, why does the display need to change once it is on its approach to said destination?
The galleries should say the galleries for the legth, in other cases not so, like market street (until closer).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - JM03 - 23 Aug 2018

Didn’t know where to put this but Eldon square bus station has been closed down and all buses are starting from market street, been kicked off the x1 there

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Jamie M - 23 Aug 2018

(23 Aug 2018, 2:24 pm)JM03 Didn’t know where to put this but Eldon square bus station has been closed down and all buses are starting from market street, been kicked off the x1 there
Not anymore, normal routes now apparently...!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Rob44 - 23 Aug 2018

protest by taxi drive about lack of taxi rank spaces

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-taxi-protest-live-traffic-15064630

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - G-CPTN - 23 Aug 2018

(23 Aug 2018, 2:24 pm)JM03 Didn’t know where to put this but Eldon square bus station has been closed down and all buses are starting from market street, been kicked off the x1 there

I guess that explains the 'shortage' of buses at Hexham?
First off the (Hexham) depot provided a spare for the X85 towards Newbrough whilst the TEN (due out @15:32) failed to materialise with no arriving vehicle (and no spare apparently).

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - G-CPTN - 23 Aug 2018

Drivers caught up in the city centre congestion, and who 'run out of hours' - what do they do?
Truckers park up and take to the sleeper, but what do bus drivers do? They might not be able to reach a depot . . .

There were half a dozen drivers at Hexham with no buses . . .

(23 Aug 2018, 4:21 pm)G-CPTN Drivers caught up in the city centre congestion, and who 'run out of hours' - what do they do?
Truckers park up and take to the sleeper, but what do bus drivers do? They might not be able to reach a depot . . .

There were half a dozen drivers at Hexham with no buses . . .
Emergency hours most of the time. Domestic rules vary differently to EU.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/emergency-exemption-and-temporary-relaxation-of-drivers-hours-and-working-time-rrules

Title "Unforseen events" section 7 sums it up well enough. Basically so long as there isn't planned breakage of driver hours, it's allowed. If it gets really bad, drivers get sent light, but more often than not, the board just gets thrown out the window.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - TyneWearTeesGNE - 23 Aug 2018

What has happened?

(23 Aug 2018, 4:32 pm)TyneWearTeesGNE What has happened?
Taxi drivers plaguing the city more than usual in the form of a protest about taxi ranks. Can we just ban taxis?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Charles41 - 23 Aug 2018

(23 Aug 2018, 4:33 pm)Jamie M Taxi drivers plaguing the city more than usual in the form of a protest about taxi ranks. Can we just ban taxis?

To put matters into perspective Newcastle City Council has licensed over 2500 private hire vehicles alone. This figure does not include Hackney carriages ie black cabs. There are far too many taxis licenced in the city imo.

Charles

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - GNE6312 - 23 Aug 2018

(23 Aug 2018, 4:33 pm)Jamie M Taxi drivers plaguing the city more than usual in the form of a protest about taxi ranks. Can we just ban taxis?

Wish we could ban taxis
Loved it that time when a 47 stoped in a taki rank and when a 309 done the same to the blyth taki ranks
We need bigger bus stations
And dont need taxis driving like over all c**ts on the roads driving too fast using phones whilst driving etc
MORE BUSES LESS TAXIS

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - JM03 - 23 Aug 2018

(23 Aug 2018, 8:31 pm)GNE6312 Wish we could ban taxis
Loved it that time when a 47 stoped in a taki rank and when a 309 done the same to the blyth taki ranks
And dont need taxis driving like over all c**ts on the roads driving too fast using phones whilst driving etc
MORE BUSES LESS TAXIS
Well said haha

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Jimmi - 23 Aug 2018

(23 Aug 2018, 8:31 pm)GNE6312 Wish we could ban taxis
MORE BUSES LESS TAXIS
Agreed. Lost count of the times they've tried to beat the buses round where The Gate is, in some cases they have mounted the kerb and shouted angry abuse at the bus driver for about 5 minutes when the bus had priority and was already making its way round.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Ianthegoon - 23 Aug 2018

(23 Aug 2018, 9:27 pm)Jimmi Agreed. Lost count of the times they've tried to beat the buses round where The Gate is, in some cases they have mounted the kerb and shouted angry abuse at the bus driver for about 5 minutes when the bus had priority and was already making its way round.

Surely all the buses are fitted with CCTV these days, so a taxi driver trying that kind of idiocy would have his license withdrawn pretty much immediately?

(23 Aug 2018, 9:30 pm)Ianthegoon Surely all the buses are fitted with CCTV these days, so a taxi driver trying that kind of idiocy would have his license withdrawn pretty much immediately?
You think anybody is actually going to enforce taxi restrictions? Maybe if an assault was made it would be followed up but I doubt there's any funding, desire or staff to do so. It's a joke but it's a victim of its own success.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Tom - 23 Aug 2018

Banning taxis would be a ridiculous idea, though limiting the number of them would be better.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - BusLoverMum - 24 Aug 2018

Well they're useful but I take issue with the ones driving across the pavement next to water stones just expecting pedestrians to scatter. Bloody dangerous.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Michael - 24 Aug 2018

724 is now in the paint shop - https://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/29304336527/in/photostream/

Photo by Bazza