North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 26 Mar 2015

(26 Mar 2015, 11:32 pm)aureolin Hopefully it's on 4OD, so I can listen to it in work tomorrow. Looking at twitter, the response on Ed is actually a lot better than what id initially been told.

He admitted the previous Labour government had gotten things wrong and refused to speculate on figures or be drawn into making false promises. He came across as an underdog and displayed a little bit of passion for wanting to help ordinary people - which I believe. 

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 27 Mar 2015

Kay Burley really is a hideous woman. Sniping at everything Milliband came out with, and even dared to state he gave a politicians answer. I actually think he's come across really sincere with his answers, and has been brutally honest with them. Cameron had spent the previous 45 giving politician answers, yet she doesn't say a word about that...

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 28 Mar 2015

(27 Mar 2015, 6:36 pm)aureolin Kay Burley really is a hideous woman. Sniping at everything Milliband came out with, and even dared to state he gave a politicians answer. I actually think he's come across really sincere with his answers, and has been brutally honest with them. Cameron had spent the previous 45 giving politician answers, yet she doesn't say a word about that...

Yeah I got a bit sick of her constantly interrupting when Miliband was speaking while fawning in admiration when Cameron was taking questions. 

I think Paxman's treatment of Miliband was fair. I don't think many have a problem with what Miliband says but rather how he comes across. He's not statesman-like which does draw concerns both from the public and within in his own party, but, then again, maybe people are sick of slickly-produced politicians who are immersed in the art of public relations.  

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - mb134 - 28 Mar 2015

I felt Miliband gave better answers than Cameron did, but I think it would have been better to make it so that both faced Paxman before they faced the public, rather than the way Miliband did it. 

Looking forward to the actual debates Smile

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 28 Mar 2015

(28 Mar 2015, 12:21 pm)MurdnunoC Yeah I got a bit sick of her constantly interrupting when Miliband was speaking while fawning in admiration when Cameron was taking questions. 

I think Paxman's treatment of Miliband was fair. I don't think many have a problem with what Miliband says but rather how he comes across. He's not statesman-like which does draw concerns both from the public and within in his own party, but, then again, maybe people are sick of slickly-produced politicians who are immersed in the art of public relations.  

Aye, the bias was certainly there! 

Paxman is Paxman. Everyone knows what to expect. Even though he's a Tory, we've seen time and time again that he'll happily give everyone a hard time about anything. I thought Milliband tried to make the point too much at some points, but it was good to see him just admit that things were wrong in the past. 

The general public hate non-answers, so I'm assuming they found it refreshing too.

(28 Mar 2015, 6:12 pm)mb134 I felt Miliband gave better answers than Cameron did, but I think it would have been better to make it so that both faced Paxman before they faced the public, rather than the way Miliband did it. 

Looking forward to the actual debates Smile

It'd have been better to have them both debating at the same time, and both answering questions at the same time, but Cameron bottled it. It's not hard to see why though, when you look back to the 2010 debates. Tongue

The only thing back then that stopped him looking completely hopeless, was the fact that Gordon Brown looked stressed to death, and is perhaps the single reason for Labour failing in 2010. 

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - mb134 - 28 Mar 2015

(28 Mar 2015, 6:38 pm)aureolin Aye, the bias was certainly there! 

Paxman is Paxman. Everyone knows what to expect. Even though he's a Tory, we've seen time and time again that he'll happily give everyone a hard time about anything. I thought Milliband tried to make the point too much at some points, but it was good to see him just admit that things were wrong in the past. 

The general public hate non-answers, so I'm assuming they found it refreshing too.

It'd have been better to have them both debating at the same time, and both answering questions at the same time, but Cameron bottled it. It's not hard to see why though, when you look back to the 2010 debates. Tongue

The only thing back then that stopped him looking completely hopeless, was the fact that Gordon Brown looked stressed to death, and is perhaps the single reason for Labour failing in 2010. 

We discussed the programme heavily in school on Friday, and most people agreed that Miliband faired a bit better than Cameron did. However, what surprised me, was that even where I live and go to school, people were happy with what the Conservatives have done in the past five years (for us), and they are seemingly oblivious to the fact that for my age group, Labour would probably be the best choice (Uni Fees etc).

I know that Labour did play a big part in the financial problems last time, and credit to Miliband for admitting that, but lets not forget that it happened in most countries and I doubt the Conservatives would have done much better.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - mb134 - 29 Mar 2015

Did anyone see Coalition on Channel 4 last night?

Found it quite interesting to see how this government was formed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3016649/Labour-opens-4-point-poll-lead-TV-contest-Miliband-vowed-Hell-yes-m-tough-enough.html

Looks like the programme on Thursday night has paid off a little for Labour.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 29 Mar 2015

(28 Mar 2015, 7:07 pm)mb134 We discussed the programme heavily in school on Friday, and most people agreed that Miliband faired a bit better than Cameron did. However, what surprised me, was that even where I live and go to school, people were happy with what the Conservatives have done in the past five years (for us), and they are seemingly oblivious to the fact that for my age group, Labour would probably be the best choice (Uni Fees etc).

I know that Labour did play a big part in the financial problems last time, and credit to Miliband for admitting that, but lets not forget that it happened in most countries and I doubt the Conservatives would have done much better.

With the constant Tory propagation about how they've gotten tough on benefit scrounging and how they've 'fixed' the economy I can understand why some might be happy with what the Tories have done over the past five years. As to whether the Conservatives would have fared any better during the 2008 financial crisis...check Hansard! - Compare what Cameron and Osbourne had to say about the crisis, as it was unfolding, and contrast their views against whatever their mantra is now.

(29 Mar 2015, 12:59 pm)mb134 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3016649/Labour-opens-4-point-poll-lead-TV-contest-Miliband-vowed-Hell-yes-m-tough-enough.html

Looks like the programme on Thursday night has paid off a little for Labour.

Love reading the comments of Daily Mail readers...It never fails to amuse!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 29 Mar 2015

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-cameron-refused-shake-hands-5421550
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sinister-conservative-dirty-tricks-campaign-5420141
The Mirror is upping the ante, with the anti-Tory articles making the paper, with increasing regularity.

(29 Mar 2015, 1:52 pm)MurdnunoC With the constant Tory propagation about how they've gotten tough on benefit scrounging and how they've 'fixed' the economy I can understand why some might be happy with what the Tories have done over the past five years. As to whether the Conservatives would have fared any better during the 2008 financial crisis...check Hansard! - Compare what Cameron and Osbourne had to say about the crisis, as it was unfolding, and contrast their views against whatever their mantra is now.

Love reading the comments of Daily Mail readers...It never fails to amuse!
Aye I've noticed there seems to be some common trends, the only real reason I look at the Daily Mail to be honest! Some of the articles on there are utter nonsense.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 30 Mar 2015

There seems to be more and more of these popping up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31973051

I scored 5
Your answers place you on the left of the political centre in comparison with the overall population in 2014.

You scored 5 out of 25

A score of 5 is the furthest left and 25 is the furthest right. Your answers would place you a long way from the political centre in any year but you would have been closest to the centre of political opinion in 1995 and 1996.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 01 Apr 2015

Martin Freeman starring in Labour's party election broadcast: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05p9rtf/party-election-broadcasts-labour-general-election-2015-31032015

Politics (and other political stuff) - R852 PRG - 01 Apr 2015

(01 Apr 2015, 12:35 pm)aureolin Martin Freeman starring in Labour's party election broadcast: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05p9rtf/party-election-broadcasts-labour-general-election-2015-31032015

Quite like him, he's a good actor. Hopefully he has something to add. Wink

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - S813 FVK - 01 Apr 2015

(01 Apr 2015, 3:36 pm)MarcTheA4 Quite like him, he's a good actor. Hopefully he has something to add. Wink

Wasn't that the guy that was in the first nativity film?

Politics (and other political stuff) - R852 PRG - 01 Apr 2015

(01 Apr 2015, 3:43 pm)Robert Wasn't that the guy that was in the first nativity film?

Not sure, he starred in the Hobbit and Sherlock for sure, though.

(01 Apr 2015, 3:43 pm)MarcTheA4 Not sure, he started in the Hobbit and Sherlock for sure, though.

And The Office! 

The great fear of workers having rights...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32141412

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - S813 FVK - 01 Apr 2015

Answered my own question:

His other notable film roles include the romantic comedy Love Actually (2003), the comic science fiction film The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005), the semi-improvised comedy Nativity! (2009)...

From wikipedia, obviously.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 01 Apr 2015

(01 Apr 2015, 3:45 pm)aureolin And The Office!

Always wanted to hide someone's stapler in a jelly...

Never quite had the nerve to do it.