North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 16 Apr 2015

I'm doubtful as to whether Farage will even win in South Thanet.

Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 16 Apr 2015

Farage goes on about using this Australian style points system for immigration, could that be even considered if we voted to stay in the EU, he goes on about health tourism and people with HIV/Aids coming over here for treatment, I don't doubt it does happen, is there any statistics showing how much health tourism is going, you would think the NHS is absolutely with health tourists the way Big Nige goes on

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 16 Apr 2015

(16 Apr 2015, 9:03 pm)Adam I watched the debate and thought it was highly interesting. Out of the five, I think Sturgeon was the best in terms of performance.

One interesting point I made though was when the leaders were discussing who would go into coalition with who. Sturgeon said she would team up with Labour, but Miliband seems quite adamant that Labour will never do a deal with the SNP. If push comes to shove, would Miliband go with the SNP to make matters easier, instead of teaming up with the Greens, Plaid Cymru, the DUPs, other Northern Irish parties and George Galloway's Respect party, creating a whole tangled mess of multi-party politics?

The way I see it, and I am not the brainiest when it comes to politics, the way the opinion polls show, the SNP could possibly be the third party in the Commons, so I am wondering if Miliband is in a position form a government whether he will go back on his word and decide to deal with the SNP rather than a rainbow coalition made up of Plaid, Green DUP and others

Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 16 Apr 2015

One thing I wonder, could Sinn Fein be convinced into taking there seats at Westminster, they never took there seats in the Dail Eirann until recently, so would it ever be possible for Cameron or Miliband try to reach out to Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams...While I don't personally think Sinn Fein will ever budge, Michelle Gildernew reportedly said recently 'Never say Never'

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Drifter60 - 16 Apr 2015

Seem to have missed this thread previously, but looking forward to this election by sure! I'm also torn voter between Labour and Green! Mind not that I think my vote makes much of an impact in my cconstituency like.
I think a Labour/SNP collation would work, although Ed Milliband ruling it out is just giving Scotland an ultimatum on wether they should risk voting SNP and possible end up with the Tories wining a majority or use vote for a safer labour government.
I'm liking the way Leanne Wood and Nicola Sturgeon come across on the debates, very intellectual, intelligent and focused I think!
However everyone else seems to be getting a lot of leaflets etc. From parties and candidates. I haven't got a single one yet!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 16 Apr 2015

(16 Apr 2015, 10:34 pm)Drifter60 Seem to have missed this thread previously, but looking forward to this election by sure! I'm also torn voter between Labour and Green! Mind not that I think my vote makes much of an impact in my cconstituency like.
I think a Labour/SNP collation would work, although Ed Milliband ruling it out is just giving Scotland an ultimatum on wether they should risk voting SNP and possible end up with the Tories wining a majority or use vote for a safer labour government.
I'm liking the way Leanne Wood and Nicola Sturgeon come across on the debates, very intellectual, intelligent and focused I think!
However everyone else seems to be getting a lot of leaflets etc. From parties and candidates. I haven't got a single one yet!

I haven't either...

Over here in Murton, there will only be one outcome...

Easington Constituency will return a Labour MP...This area is like Hartlepool, put a monkey up for election and it would win

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Drifter60 - 17 Apr 2015

(16 Apr 2015, 10:37 pm)MrFozz I haven't either...

Over here in Murton, there will only be one outcome...

Easington Constituency will return a Labour MP...This area is like Hartlepool, put a monkey up for election and it would win

Yeah I'm same constituency! 
Labour always get in. 

Mind the fact I haven't had any leaflets isn't good, I know nothing about any of the Candiates expect from Grahame (Labour).

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - LeeCalder - 17 Apr 2015

Honestly, I think UKIP have a serious problem at the minuet which is making them go down slightly in the polls. And that problem is Nigel Farage. He is a horrendous speaker, he makes points to broad and just adds that extra little detail that people don't want to hear. When he goes on them massive rants he always ends up saying something he shouldn't. Now, after watching Question Time last night after the debate I think Douglas Carswell was brilliant. The way he dealt with and answered the question, he explained things properly without shouting whereas Farage would have went wild.

Personally speaking, I feel Douglas Carswell would be a better leader for the UK Indipedance Party than Nigel Farage

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 6:49 am)leestransportphotos Honestly, I think UKIP have a serious problem at the minuet which is making them go down slightly in the polls. And that problem is Nigel Farage. He is a horrendous speaker, he makes points to broad and just adds that extra little detail that people don't want to hear. When he goes on them massive rants he always ends up saying something he shouldn't. Now, after watching Question Time last night after the debate I think Douglas Carswell was brilliant. The way he dealt with and answered the question, he explained things properly without shouting whereas Farage would have went wild.

Personally speaking, I feel Douglas Carswell would be a better leader for the UK Indipedance Party than Nigel Farage

Yes, I suppose being a party of bigots could be seen as a serious problem...

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - omnicity4659 - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 8:42 am)aureolin Yes, I suppose being a party of bigots could be seen as a serious problem...

Never known a party to open a shop in Blyth.  Wink

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Jimmi - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 8:58 am)Tommy_1581 Never known a party to open a shop in Blyth.  Wink
Wonder if it is like the one I saw in Scarborough back in January which had a smashed window.

I thought it looked like a non chain pound shop.

Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 18 Apr 2015

I wad reading about a candidate in London somewhere who died recently and he wil stay on the ballot...

What would happen if he won the vote, unless someone knows different, ghosts cannot take there seat in Parliament...

What would happen:-

1. Would the result stand?
2. Would the person in 2nd place be elected? or
3. Would it trigger an instant by-election?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - omnicity4659 - 18 Apr 2015

Some UKIP politicians have apparently received death threats.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 10:26 am)Tommy_1581 Some UKIP politicians have apparently received death threats.
Not surprised at that to be honest

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Jimmi - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 10:29 am)MrFozz Not surprised at that to be honest
No I ain't either, especially some of the garbage they come out with.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 10:21 am)MrFozz I wad reading about a candidate in London somewhere who died recently and he wil stay on the ballot...

What would happen if he won the vote, unless someone knows different, ghosts cannot take there seat in Parliament...

What would happen:-

1. Would the result stand?
2. Would the person in 2nd place be elected? or
3. Would it trigger an instant by-election?

I think the answers to your questions are:

1) Yes
2) No
3) Probably

Irrespective of whether a candidate is dead or alive, the result of the election would have to stand. The person who is second place cannot be declared the winner if someone else has beaten them fair and square. Our version of democracy, described by Lord Hailsham as an elective dictatorship, demands the candidate who receives the most votes is declared the winner of the contest. Under FPTP, it would not be democratic to declare whomever is second to be the victor regardless of circumstance. Obviously, a non-entity cannot take their seat in parliament which means the constituency is not represented - at least not on physical basis (metaphysics aside). Therefore, in all likelihood, it would trigger a by-election. 

Politics (and other political stuff) - Jimmi - 18 Apr 2015

There is fire brigade giving out leaflets about fire safety and there is also UKIP campaigners in Darlington.

Can we combine the two by setting UKIP on fire

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - omnicity4659 - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 11:32 am)Jimmi There is fire brigade giving out leaflets about fire safety and there is also UKIP campaigners in Darlington.

Can we combine the two by setting UKIP on fire

Whey aye man! Set Darlo on fire while you're at it!  Wink Big Grin

Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 18 Apr 2015

Anyone else think Cameron looks like a knob with a turban on his head

[Image: 1000.jpg]

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 11:36 am)Tommy_1581 Whey aye man! Set Darlo on fire while you're at it!  Wink Big Grin
What is it with you and fire....U aint an arsonist are you Wink