North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 07 May 2015

(07 May 2015, 7:03 am)Michael Most of that is bull shit, people are only saying that because they want to deny most of the "real" stuff hes going on about, such as immigration problems and the fact people can still get benefits for their children when they aren't even in the country!

Green Party is a load of do gooders, wanting to do things which will wreak the country, £10 minimum wage, businesses struggle with the current one! 

Labour - did fuck all for us while they were in power!

Conservatives - Done quite a bit for the NE while in power, example, gave us funding for the bridge - although they still for the rich! 

Liberal Democrats - Nah rather not - Cameron's pets!   

Personally i'm not voting... 

Labour done nowt? I'm not their biggest fan, but they brought the national minimum wage in after years of campaigning. Probably the biggest win for a long long time when it comes to workers rights.

Not to mention the BSF funding, Sure Start, the introduction of paternity leave, and the huge shift from ignorance to equality...

You'll never find one party that is a catch all for anything, but not voting is the only wasted vote.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 07 May 2015

There's my vote cast

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - beefcake - 07 May 2015

(07 May 2015, 9:05 am)MrFozz Did he stay Independent right through his time as mayor, I thought he aligned himself with The Labour Party

He stood for election as an independent for the 3 terms he got in, not sure about him aligning with the Labour party or not, but got the feeling he had to go along with them at times otherwise they'd just vote against him. In my opinion, he done a far better job than the clown we currently have, and didn't bring anywhere near as much shame on the town either

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - LeeCalder - 07 May 2015

If anyone is interested this is how our school vote went:

There were five party's to choose from, Labour, Conservatives, United Kingdon Independence Party (UKIP), Liberal Democrats and Green Party.

Me and my friend were representing UKIP, and if I'm honest I'm very happy with how it went.

We all had our opening speeches. This is how mine went "If you believe in Britain, Vote UKIP, If you believe that Britain is strong enough to 'govern' itself, Vote UKIP. And finally, if you want a party which represents the people of Britain, Vote UKIP"  I got limited applause, probably because they all though UKIP would be 'racist' although there was a section which liked my speech.

After this, we had a debate which lasted 45 minuets and it got very heated at times. Probably because I was taking the Farage approach. I wasn't going to shy away from the truth!

Then it was our final speech, I just reiterated what I said in the opening speech with some added details.

Anyway, I must have changed a lot of minds as we finished 2nd! I was chuffed as I was expecting to finish bottom of the pile. This was the full results....

1. Labour - 673
2. UKIP - 638
3. Conservatives - 372
4. Liberal Democrats - 212
5. Green Party - 83

All round, a great result!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - mb134 - 07 May 2015

We had a poll in our history class, of the people we knew (kept it close family), this was the result:

Labour- 8
UKIP -5
Lib Dems- 5
Green- 3
Conservatives- 3

Just a small poll, but some surprising results.

Also, if the Conservatives win less seats than Labour, my history teacher is buying me (and two others in the class) a McDonald's!! 

(07 May 2015, 5:11 pm)mb134 We had a poll in our history class, of the people we knew (kept it close family), this was the result:

Labour- 8
UKIP -5
Lib Dems- 5
Green- 3
Conservatives- 3

Just a small poll, but some surprising results.

Also, if the Conservatives win less seats than Labour, my history teacher is buying me (and two others in the class) a McDonald's!!

Most polls I have seen place The Conservatives slightly ahead in predicted amount of seats

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - mb134 - 07 May 2015

(07 May 2015, 5:19 pm)MrFozz Most polls I have seen place The Conservatives slightly ahead in predicted amount of seats

Aye, just hoping they do better than expected!!

Any other sad git like me gonna sit up through the night watching the results come in...I will be disappointed if Houghton and Sunderland South have not declared before 11 o'clock

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Malarkey - 07 May 2015

Anyone seen this.

https://www.facebook.com/hugo.jackson.94/videos/vb.100002637788629/654911224606798/?type=2&theater

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - S813 FVK - 07 May 2015

(07 May 2015, 7:53 pm)MrFozz Any other sad git like me gonna sit up through the night watching the results come in...I will be disappointed if Houghton and Sunderland South have not declared before 11 o'clock

According to Google, the first results expected to be declared at 00:00.

(07 May 2015, 8:20 pm)Robert According to Google, the first results expected to be declared at 00:00.
Houghton and Sunderland South and it's predecessor Sunderland South have been first to declare in the last 5 general elections, in 2010 they declared in about 45-50 minutes

Sure I heard on the news earlier all 3 Sunderland seats should be declared pretty quickly

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - S813 FVK - 07 May 2015

I would hate to be somebody counting all the votes. Just sitting there for hours going through piles of paper with a cross on it somewhere. Bet they get paid a bit to do it though.

(07 May 2015, 8:25 pm)Robert I would hate to be somebody counting all the votes. Just sitting there for hours going through piles of paper with a cross on it somewhere. Bet they get paid a bit to do it though.
I would hate it as well, I would constantly lose count and have to start again over and over lol

Glad I'm off tomorrow... 30 minutes until the madness starts, and I'm already nervous!

(07 May 2015, 8:32 pm)aureolin Glad I'm off tomorrow... 30 minutes until the madness starts, and I'm already nervous!
So I guess your sitting up and watching it unravel as the night goes on...

What outcome do you expect mate, I am going with what most of the press are saying...Hung Parliament with the Conservatives slightly ahead in number of seats

(07 May 2015, 8:34 pm)MrFozz So I guess your sitting up and watching it unravel as the night goes on...

What outcome do you expect mate, I am going with what most of the press are saying...Hung Parliament with the Conservatives slightly ahead in number of seats

I don't think there'll be a majority, but I think Labour will have the most seats. Maybe that's more hope than anything?

Forgot to ask what happens if it is a hung parliament, would Cameron still be PM while potential coalition/confidence and supply deals are being thrashed out

Could a minority government last for a fixed term or could we end up going back to the polls in about October, like what happened back in 1974???

(07 May 2015, 8:39 pm)MrFozz Forgot to ask what happens if it is a hung parliament, would Cameron still be PM while potential coalition/confidence and supply deals are being thrashed out

Could a minority government last for a fixed term or could we end up going back to the polls in about October, like what happened back in 1974???

The incumbant usually remains until another leader has created a majority coalition, and is in a position to ask the Queen for permission to form Government. Naturally the request would never be denied, and it's simply custom.

(07 May 2015, 8:42 pm)aureolin The incumbant usually remains until another leader has created a majority coalition, and is in a position to ask the Queen for permission to form Government. Naturally the request would never be denied, and it's simply custom.
The whole thing about asking the Queen, is it in law that she has to be asked or is it just out of courtesy and tradition to do so...Am I right in saying The Monarchy doesn't hold much power over government and stuff like that

(07 May 2015, 8:44 pm)MrFozz The whole thing about asking the Queen, is it in law that she has to be asked or is it just out of courtesy and tradition to do so...Am I right in saying The Monarchy doesn't hold much power over government and stuff like that

I think, strictly speaking, that she has the power to dissolve Government off her own back. It just never happens. The Queen remains the head of state, hence the request to her to form Government. It is more of a tradition than anything nowadays though, similar to the state opening of Parliament, and the Queen's speech then.