North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 08 May 2015

If this shows anything, then it shows how complacent the Labour party have been.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 08 May 2015

How wrong Nick Clegg was when he said and I quote 'They need to go lie in a dark room if they think they'll get majority'

Paul Nuttall must feel like a knob when he said 'I guarantee that UKIP will have more than 2 seats'

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 08 May 2015

I despair.

When the NHS is privatised and you can't afford treatment, when the national debt has continued to rise, when we are ripped off in more taxpayer sell offs (if there is owt left to sell off) and we have seen police, fire brigade and many other public bodies stripped back to their bare bones - maybe the penny will drop.

One thing is for sure, those members of the forum who haven't got a job - best get looking to make one up, before benefits are scrapped entirely.
It might be a job with very few hours, you might be on minimum wage and financially worse off than before - but there is no way these lot will let you off.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 08 May 2015

(07 May 2015, 10:29 pm)MurdnunoC I don't blame the SNP for ensuring another five years of Tory rule. I disagree with the principle of tactical voting. People should vote for whichever political candidate they feel represents them the best. If Scottish voters believe the SNP will represent their interests best then so be it - even if it has the inadvertent effect of enabling another period of Tory rule. Labour (and the Lib-Dems) should have done more to appeal to the Scottish electorate. If they failed to do this, it's on them, not the SNP.

Sorry, meant to reply last night.

I have had conversations with colleagues and ex-colleagues, who live down south. They have openly admitted to being traditional lib dem supporters and live in marginal areas (not sure on the constituencies).

Rather than vote lib dem and risk the SNP having a voice via any lib lab alliance (as unlikely as that may have been), they voted tory.
One quote, from a highly educated and 'sensible' ex-colleague was: 'I voted for them. It (SNP) definitely influenced my vote, but I didn't think it would make much difference. I thought the others would have done better'.

Granted, that is only a handful of people, but thought it was an example worth sharing.

Tactical voting may not be something you agree with, but it happens.
UKIP are saying a lot of their voters, went tory - simply because they didn't want to risk a lab snp coalition.
Whether that is accurate or an example of them being upset, no idea.

The independence debate stirred up nationalism in Scotland and resentment in England.
Cameron is the only winner and has been twice over.

The SNP campaigned against austerity, yet won't change anything, other than maybe forcing through another independence referendum. They are as big as they can get and for all they may be riding on the crest of a wave, their influence, isn't going to hold much sway in Parliament.
Patriotism and hot air in Holyrood? Definitely.
Influence and change in Westminster. No way.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - idiot - 08 May 2015

I voted tatical to. Best of a bad bumch.. Labour ot tory. Well tory got it and I for one am a lot happier for it.

Balls will the NHS will be privatised so you have to pay.

Just had a laugh at some bird on the news, doing a piece about Boris Johnson, young lass said she was there because she loved Boris...When asked who she voted...UKIP

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - S813 FVK - 08 May 2015

At least Farage kept to his word. He said all along that if he didn't win his seat, he'd resign. It was right for Clegg to go also. So many people lost their jobs and i think it was only right that he gave up his to make it fair. As for Miliband, he was an arse anyway so its probably for the better.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - LeeCalder - 08 May 2015

Before I forget.... Congratulations to Douglas Carswell MP who becomes UKIP's first MP to be elected at a general election

(08 May 2015, 10:22 pm)leestransportphotos Before I forget.... Congratulations to Douglas Carswell MP who becomes UKIP's first MP to be elected at a general election
And congrats to Big Nige for not becoming an MP

Politics (and other political stuff) - LeeCalder - 08 May 2015

At least he stood by his word...

(08 May 2015, 10:23 pm)leestransportphotos At least he stood by his word...

He hasn't though? He's not really resigned, because he has said he'd consider running in their leadership contest come September? Dodgy  

(08 May 2015, 10:23 pm)leestransportphotos At least he stood by his word...
Will give the man that...

But he may be back, I am sure he said he migt stand in the leadership election...

Nuttall must feel like a knob right now when he said 'I guarantee you there will be more than 2 UKIP members elected Big Grin

(08 May 2015, 10:26 pm)aureolin He hasn't though? He's not really resigned, because he has said he'd consider running in their leadership contest come September? Dodgy  

He still resigned at the end of the day

(08 May 2015, 10:26 pm)MrFozz Will give the man that...

But he may be back, I am sure he said he migt stand in the leadership election...

Nuttall must feel like a knob right now when he said 'I guarantee you there will be more than 2 UKIP members elected Big Grin

Just like Ed Milliband, Nick Clegg etc must feel like right bellends for f*cking everything up

(08 May 2015, 10:27 pm)leestransportphotos He still resigned at the end of the day

His words - "If we'd failed in the European elections I would have stood down, if we fail next year the party will pick someone better than me, but do you know what? That ain't going to happen."

How is he keeping his word based on that? If you stand down, you do exactly that, and you walk away.

(08 May 2015, 10:32 pm)aureolin His words - "If we'd failed in the European elections I would have stood down, if we fail next year the party will pick someone better than me, but do you know what? That ain't going to happen."

How is he keeping his word based on that? If you stand down, you do exactly that, and you walk away.

Yes and he has resigned! Just like if a premier league manager resigns. There is nothing saying he can't come back.

I'm not sure what your political views are but let's just say Labour... I'm pretty sure you wouldn't say this if it was Ed Milliband

(08 May 2015, 10:34 pm)leestransportphotos Yes and he has resigned! Just like if a premier league manager resigns. There is nothing saying he can't come back.

I'm not sure what your political views are but let's just say Labour... I'm pretty sure you wouldn't say this if it was Ed Milliband

Political views are irrelevant here. Miliband and Clegg have both resigned, and you wouldn't expect them to run in their respective parties leadership elections. They'd have no credibility to do so, going out after failing to make an impact as party leader, just as Farage has. 

It's obvious you have a problem with UKIP so everything will be wrong but... I wouldn't have a problem with Milliband or Clegg re-standing. At the end of the day it is there career. And put it this way, if rather have Milliband over someone patronising and stuck up like Yvette Cooper

Hasn't Farage now resigned as many times as the Wrestler Terry Funk, if he decided to restand would it be for the 3rd or 4th spell as UKIP leader

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - idiot - 09 May 2015

Isn't Farage an MEP? Or have I missed something?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 09 May 2015

(09 May 2015, 12:02 am)idiot Isn't Farage an MEP? Or have I missed something?
Yes he is, and had he won the Westminster he would have had to give up his EU seat as far as I am aware