North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 05 Sep 2015

(05 Sep 2015, 4:46 pm)R852 PRG I see a petition has been started to replace Katie Hopkins with 50,000 Syrian refugees. I've signed up. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Make that 100,000 migrants w/Nigel Farage as part of the deal and I will sign any petition Big Grin

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 07 Sep 2015

Is anyone watching Panorama?
A Jeremy Corbyn special.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 07 Sep 2015

(07 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm)Andreos1 Is anyone watching Panorama?
A Jeremy Corbyn special.

Of course. Wink

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 07 Sep 2015

(07 Sep 2015, 7:47 pm)aureolin Of course. Wink

It started off quite well, started to get a bit distorted now...

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 07 Sep 2015

(07 Sep 2015, 7:51 pm)Andreos1 It started off quite well, started to get a bit distorted now...

Aye, it became a dirt digging exercise. A last ditch effort by the Beeb to influence the result? Who knows. Smile

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 08 Sep 2015

(07 Sep 2015, 8:16 pm)aureolin Aye, it became a dirt digging exercise. A last ditch effort by the Beeb to influence the result? Who knows. Smile
Did you see Sharon Hodgson's cameo at Durham?

There was a close up of yours truly standing next to Mrs Constantopolous at one point too.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 08 Sep 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34177370

Living Wage to be used by Whitbread as a reason to increase prices.
An interesting one, which almost negates the point of having a living wage in the first place.

Andy Harrison, CEO
 "The scale of the increase is bigger than we would have expected and clearly employment costs are our biggest single cost."

The article goes on to state that roughly 34,000 of Whitbread's 42,000 hourly-paid staff receive less than £7.20 an hour.
Granted it is a smaller proportion, but if the remaining 8,000 received a pay increase, would the price of our coffee go up? 

I will put my last £7.20 on at Fozzes bookies, that we will see redundancies and shorter working hours for those 34,000, negating the wage increase. 
Without knowing the proportion of hours worked (full/part time) and the split, it is difficult to see how much difference the 70p increase will make to overall profits.

I wonder if a brave retailer would dare to lower prices - on the off-chance the increased money in the back pockets of those affected, may actually tempt consumers to spend more?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm)Andreos1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34177370

Living Wage to be used by Whitbread as a reason to increase prices.
An interesting one, which almost negates the point of having a living wage in the first place.

The article goes on to state that roughly 34,000 of Whitbread's 42,000 hourly-paid staff receive less than £7.20 an hour.
Granted it is a smaller proportion, but if the remaining 8,000 received a pay increase, would the price of our coffee go up? 

I will put my last £7.20 on at Fozzes bookies, that we will see redundancies and shorter working hours for those 34,000, negating the wage increase. 
Without knowing the proportion of hours worked (full/part time) and the split, it is difficult to see how much difference the 70p increase will make to overall profits.

I wonder if a brave retailer would dare to lower prices - on the off-chance the increased money in the back pockets of those affected, may actually tempt consumers to spend more?

Some companies 'boast' about paying wages above the National Minimum Wage even though the difference is often meagre. It will be interesting to see if those companies adjust their wages accordingly to maintain their 'boastful' claims.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 09 Sep 2015

I'm not reading too much into it, because it's the same recycled arguments from when the NMW was introduced in the first place.

I don't think employers should be waiting until they're forced. Many already voluntarily signed up to the (proper) living wage, and have been applying the increases for a number of years.

It is important to remember that a living wage in any form, should not be seen as a glass ceiling, but instead a minimum level of acceptable renumeration for a job.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 12 Sep 2015

Result coverage is on the BBC News channel now. Should find out in about 10 minutes!

Tom Watson elected as deputy.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - S813 FVK - 12 Sep 2015

Corbyn has won it.

Corbyn has won the leadership by a landslide in the first round - almost 60% of the votes.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - NK53 TKT - 12 Sep 2015

(12 Sep 2015, 10:44 am)aureolin Corbyn has won the leadership by a landslide in the first round - almost 60% of the votes.

What's next then Angel Angel

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 12 Sep 2015

I've never even heard of Jamie Reed until now!

Official Tory response to Corbyn being elected as leader of the Labour Party, delivered by Michael Fallon.

Labour are now a serious risk to our nation’s security, our economy’s security and your family’s security.

Whether it’s weakening our defences, raising taxes on jobs and earnings, racking up more debt and welfare or driving up the cost of living by printing money – Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party will hurt working people.

This is a very serious moment for our country – the Conservatives will continue to deliver stability, security and opportunity for working people.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - BusLoverMum - 12 Sep 2015

(12 Sep 2015, 12:47 pm)MurdnunoC Official Tory response to Corbyn being elected as leader of the Labour Party, delivered by Michael Fallon.

He should take up comedy.

(12 Sep 2015, 12:47 pm)MurdnunoC Official Tory response to Corbyn being elected as leader of the Labour Party, delivered by Michael Fallon.

I actually thought their email stank of fear. It'll be interesting to see what their tactics are when it comes to trying to smear Corbyn, because he simply doesn't allow himself or his people to rise to it. The Tories came across as a one trick pony during the last 5 years. It seemed the more they tried to smear Ed and other senior figures, the more they'd bite back. 

Come 2020, I honestly think that people will have seen right through the "pro-worker" Tory party, and are hopefully voting in their masses against austerity. That just needs all these supporters to get properly involved and organise. 

(12 Sep 2015, 8:39 pm)BusLoverMum He should take up comedy.

Or politics. Wink

(12 Sep 2015, 9:53 pm)aureolin I actually thought their email stank of fear. It'll be interesting to see what their tactics are when it comes to trying to smear Corbyn, because he simply doesn't allow himself or his people to rise to it. The Tories came across as a one trick pony during the last 5 years. It seemed the more they tried to smear Ed and other senior figures, the more they'd bite back. 

Come 2020, I honestly think that people will have seen right through the "pro-worker" Tory party, and are hopefully voting in their masses against austerity. That just needs all these supporters to get properly involved and organise. 

And most of those senior figures are now trudging off to the back benches while trying not trip over their lip on the way.

I like Corbyn's idea of allowing other MP's to take to the despatch box during PMQ's. At the very least, it keeps Cameron on his toes and serves to unsettle his flow.

(12 Sep 2015, 10:06 pm)MurdnunoC And most of those senior figures are now trudging off to the back benches while trying not trip over their lip on the way.

I like Corbyn's idea of allowing other MP's to take to the despatch box during PMQ's. At the very least, it keeps Cameron on his toes and serves to unsettle his flow.

I noticed Hunt has gone. He's a scab anyway, so I'd argue that he doesn't support Labour's values - i.e. 'decency'. 

I don't think I agree with Corbyn on that, but PMQs do need to reform from the circus that it currently is. It serves no purpose. Where else could you get away with shouting on like MPs do during it, whilst at work?