North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 13 Sep 2015

(12 Sep 2015, 10:28 pm)aureolin I noticed Hunt has gone. He's a scab anyway, so I'd argue that he doesn't support Labour's values - i.e. 'decency'. 

I don't think I agree with Corbyn on that, but PMQs do need to reform from the circus that it currently is. It serves no purpose. Where else could you get away with shouting on like MPs do during it, whilst at work?

Neither did I, at first. But after some consideration I decided it could actually be a very shrewd move on his part. 

While Corbyn does stand his ground and appears not to falter on his principles, he can however become a bit aggressive when criticised or challenged. When facing Cameron on a weekly basis at PMQ's, Cameron will fast learn what buttons to press to provoke a reaction and press will gleefully attempt to hammer him on this. Whether the public will be influenced by this spin - who knows? Maybe they'll appreciate his honesty and passion, maybe not, but the fact remains Corbyn probably won't be as slick as Cameron week in, week out.

By allowing other MP's to take to the despatch box, Corbyn distances himself from the constant barrage of abuse he's likely to receive from Cameron while simultaneously pursuing other agendas such as general political reform and allowing other voices in the party to be heard. It could be a good thing in the long run.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 13 Sep 2015

(13 Sep 2015, 12:12 pm)Adam I often think that the rise of Jeremy Corbyn, from a backbench MP for over 30 years to leader of the Labour party, from just scraping it onto the ballot paper to winning the election by a landslide, should be made into a Hollywood blockbuster.

Get John Hurt or Ian McKellen to play him and job's a good'un

Like the political version of Rocky!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 13 Sep 2015

I'm immensely proud that the Labour Party have elected this man to lead the party. What a passionate speaker, and to think that this was little after the biggest political landslide in years.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 13 Sep 2015

Also : http://labourlist.org/2015/09/liveblog-whos-in-jeremy-corbyns-shadow-cabinet/

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 14 Sep 2015

I am pleased to see Corbyn get in. I genuinely want him to shake things up and hope we see a massive difference in the way the country works.

Is it a pipe dream, to want to see him as PM?

There are quite a few famous names, supporting him too - http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34244179/jeremy-corbyns-famous-supporters-daniel-radcliffe-charlotte-church-russell-brand
However, as with the BBC Panorma documentary the other night, it appears the daggers are out already.
Hopefully people can see beyond the spin, chucked out by an obviously concerned/worried right wing.
I say that, as if they didn't see him as a threat, then the patter wouldn't have started.

On a local level, it seems Catherine McKinnell is the only North Eastern representative in the shadow cabinet.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - R852 PRG - 14 Sep 2015

There was quite a bit of discussion at school today about Jeremy Corbyn. One person in my Business & Economics class, who has strong Conservative beliefs, seemed adamant that is a ''fool'', bringing up arguments that Margaret Thatcher was not fond of him and he was apparently a bit controversial back in the 1980s, when he would wear woolly sweaters in the House of Commons. However, a few seemed quite positive about it. I've spent about an hour this evening doing a bit of research on him, and I have to say I'm now quite fond of him. He seems like a very charismatic and passionate speaker, having watched a few video clips, who seems to say what he really wants to say; unlike some of the others we see on the television, who act like a gun is being pointed at them...

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 14 Sep 2015

(14 Sep 2015, 4:49 pm)Andreos1 I am pleased to see Corbyn get in. I genuinely want him to shake things up and hope we see a massive difference in the way the country works.

Is it a pipe dream, to want to see him as PM?

There are quite a few famous names, supporting him too - http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34244179/jeremy-corbyns-famous-supporters-daniel-radcliffe-charlotte-church-russell-brand
However, as with the BBC Panorma documentary the other night, it appears the daggers are out already.
Hopefully people can see beyond the spin, chucked out by an obviously concerned/worried right wing.
I say that, as if they didn't see him as a threat, then the patter wouldn't have started.

On a local level, it seems Catherine McKinnell is the only North Eastern representative in the shadow cabinet.

I don't think it's a pipe dream at all, but it isn't going to happen by people sitting back and admiring from afar. People at grass roots level who have joined and voted for him on mass, now need to get involved and start organising. 

I'm pleased at his shadow cabinet selection, and I think that John McDonnell will make a fantastic shadow chancellor. I'm not too disappointed by the lack of North Eastern representatives really, although I would have found Bridget as transport secretary, a very welcome addition... Wink

(14 Sep 2015, 4:57 pm)R852 PRG There was quite a bit of discussion at school today about Jeremy Corbyn. One person in my Business & Economics class, who has strong Conservative beliefs, seemed adamant that is a ''fool'', bringing up arguments that Margaret Thatcher was not fond of him and he was apparently a bit controversial back in the 1980s, when he would wear woolly sweaters in the House of Commons. However, a few seemed quite positive about it. I've spent about an hour this evening doing a bit of research on him, and I have to say I'm now quite fond of him. He seems like a very charismatic and passionate speaker, having watched a few video clips, who seems to say what he really wants to say; unlike some of the others we see on the television, who act like a gun is being pointed at them...

He would - but why should your attire have any affect on your ability to represent those that elect you?

RE: the 80s, I'm guessing this is in reference to his opposition to Apartheid, and him being arrested for protesting against them, outside the South African embassy. Corbyn was a strong supporter of Mandella, and before it was popular to be a fan of Mandella. We shouldn't forget he was also a big supporter of LGBT rights, and at a time that the Tories dismissed such rights as far left ideology. Corbyn, Tony Benn and other also met with Sinn Fein back in the 80s, which caused a massive stir at the time.

I've only seen Corbyn speak live once, but I've obviously seen him in Commons debates and at the hustings on TV. He's a straight talking politician, and he'll stand up for what he believes in. It's a shame there's not more like it.

(14 Sep 2015, 4:57 pm)R852 PRG There was quite a bit of discussion at school today about Jeremy Corbyn. One person in my Business & Economics class, who has strong Conservative beliefs, seemed adamant that is a ''fool'', bringing up arguments that Margaret Thatcher was not fond of him and he was apparently a bit controversial back in the 1980s, when he would wear woolly sweaters in the House of Commons. However, a few seemed quite positive about it. I've spent about an hour this evening doing a bit of research on him, and I have to say I'm now quite fond of him. He seems like a very charismatic and passionate speaker, having watched a few video clips, who seems to say what he really wants to say; unlike some of the others we see on the television, who act like a gun is being pointed at them...
I think we all know who was the biggest fool of the 1980's and just a tad controversial! I will give you a clue, you mentioned her name in that BIB Wink
Mention her dealings with Pinochet, Hussein, South African Apartheid, Jimmy Saville and Iraq and see what he says.

I think it was MurdunoC who suggested people go and get involved in politics.
If you can get to see Corbyn speak live, rather than on youtube or telly, it may be more beneficial.
You may be turned off totally. You may appreciate him more.

(14 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm)aureolin I don't think it's a pipe dream at all, but it isn't going to happen by people sitting back and admiring from afar. People at grass roots level who have joined and voted for him on mass, now need to get involved and start organising. 

I'm pleased at his shadow cabinet selection, and I think that John McDonnell will make a fantastic shadow chancellor. I'm not too disappointed by the lack of North Eastern representatives really, although I would have found Bridget as transport secretary, a very welcome addition... Wink

He would - but why should your attire have any affect on your ability to represent those that elect you?

RE: the 80s, I'm guessing this is in reference to his opposition to Apartheid, and him being arrested for protesting against them, outside the South African embassy. Corbyn was a strong supporter of Mandella, and before it was popular to be a fan of Mandella. We shouldn't forget he was also a big supporter of LGBT rights, and at a time that the Tories dismissed such rights as far left ideology. Corbyn, Tony Benn and other also met with Sinn Fein back in the 80s, which caused a massive stir at the time.

I've only seen Corbyn speak live once, but I've obviously seen him in Commons debates and at the hustings on TV. He's a straight talking politician, and he'll stand up for what he believes in. It's a shame there's not more like it.

I had to check to see if this tweet was genuine and not from a spoof account
https://mobile.twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/642984909980725248

If only Bridget was selected as Transport Secretary... I won't hold it against him.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/8133390
Skinner vs Maitlis - live.
There was only going to be one winner and it wasn't going to be the sound engineer!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 15 Sep 2015

(14 Sep 2015, 7:20 pm)Andreos1 http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/8133390
Skinner vs Maitlis - live.
There was only going to be one winner and it wasn't going to be the sound engineer!
Skinner fairly put he in her place...

I love Dennis Skinner

Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 15 Sep 2015

Something that made me chuckle today...

What Football can expect under the rule of Jeremy Corbyn

http://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2015/sep/15/david-squires-on-what-football-can-expect-under-jeremy-corbyns-reign-of-terror

[Image: 2d348e57c553fe027c7ace612943f363.jpg]

Torpedo Sunderland...I thougt someone done that years ago [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][WINKING FACE]

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 15 Sep 2015

(15 Sep 2015, 9:06 am)MrFozz Skinner fairly put he in her place...

I love Dennis Skinner
He certainly has more class than Cameron - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34222801

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 16 Sep 2015

Did anyone watch PMQs?

I was impressed with the way Corbyn handled it. He made it clear he's not up for the circus stuff, and got to his questions. All of which came from real people.

I think Cameron was a bit taken back by it, as he couldn't laugh off or mock questions with people's names attached to them. The house respectively listened to each, along with the response.

An impressive session indeed.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 16 Sep 2015

(16 Sep 2015, 1:45 pm)aureolin Did anyone watch PMQs?

I was impressed with the way Corbyn handled it. He made it clear he's not up for the circus stuff, and got to his questions. All of which came from real people.

I think Cameron was a bit taken back by it, as he couldn't laugh off or mock questions with people's names attached to them. The house respectively listened to each, along with the response.

Yeah, I rushed home to catch it.

I agree with some of the other analysis offered afterwards. While Corbyn's approach was refreshing, his line of questioning did allow Cameron to push his reasons for pursuing policy objectives. I know it's early days, but eventually courtesy will need to give way to strong comeback (or two) which will (hopefully) put Cameron in his place on issues close to his heart. However, Cameron did look a little flustered as he forced to sing to Corbyn's tune instead of resorting to the vitriolic display to which he's accustomed. Glimpses of that were apparent in comments towards Angus Robertson. 

I think this is why a revolving door policy is good for Labour and Corbyn at PMQ's. One week, Corbyn can conduct proceedings in a relatively respectful manner. The next week, someone else can lead a caustic attack on Government policy. If Labour can control the tempo of the came, Cameron will come undone.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 16 Sep 2015

(16 Sep 2015, 1:45 pm)aureolin Did anyone watch PMQs?

(16 Sep 2015, 2:36 pm)MurdnunoC Yeah, I rushed home to catch it.

I agree with some of the other analysis offered afterwards. While Corbyn's approach was refreshing, his line of questioning did allow Cameron to push his reasons for pursuing policy objectives. I know it's early days, but eventually courtesy will need to give way to strong comeback (or two) which will (hopefully) put Cameron in his place on issues close to his heart. However, Cameron did look a little flustered as he forced to sing to Corbyn's tune instead of resorting to the vitriolic display to which he's accustomed. Glimpses of that were apparent in comments towards Angus Robertson. 

I think this is why a revolving door policy is good for Labour and Corbyn at PMQ's. One week, Corbyn can conduct proceedings in a relatively respectful manner. The next week, someone else can lead a caustic attack on Government policy. If Labour can control the tempo of the came, Cameron will come undone.

I managed to get to a TV, just as Ronnie Campbell started his go.
Missed Corbyn's turn - but saw Norman Smith's analysis afterwards.

There was obviously a few digs from Tory MP's and the Unionist fella, wasn't happy with the appointment of McDonnell.

I noticed Sharon Hodgson was picked too!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 17 Sep 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34276001
Jeb Bush wants Maggie to be the face of a $10 note.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 17 Sep 2015

(17 Sep 2015, 11:07 am)Andreos1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34276001

Can't see this ever happening. 

She fits one part of the criteria in that she's dead, but she's never been a president.

America's a big country. I reckon there'll be a fair few who don't know who she is!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 17 Sep 2015

(17 Sep 2015, 11:19 am)MurdnunoC Can't see this ever happening. 

She fits one part of the criteria in that she's dead, but she's never been a president.

America's a big country. I reckon there'll be a fair few who don't know who she is!

In a moment of inspiration , Jeb reckons it is "probably illegal"

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 17 Sep 2015

(17 Sep 2015, 11:07 am)Andreos1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34276001

Surely toilet paper would be more appropriate?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 18 Sep 2015

(17 Sep 2015, 8:36 pm)aureolin Surely toilet paper would be more appropriate?
my turds would be too good to smear on maggies face