North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - citaro5284 - 03 Dec 2015

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/jeremy-corbyn-incompetent-failing-people-10545426

North East MP says Corbyn is 'incompetent'

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 03 Dec 2015

(02 Dec 2015, 10:16 pm)MrFozz No thanks lol

I dont know, but boots will have to go in eventually to mop up, if that happened, maybe Arab League led UN style peacekeeping mission

So we cut off there fuel, arms and money, would they not find it elsewhere, if we stop the weapons would there not be another dodgy arms all too happy to flog them weapons and in Cyber attacking, would they not just jump from 1 account to the next, getting back quickly after being took offline

Why would ISIS do that, what propaganda value does that have if the World knows 100% it was an attack on a Daesh Convoy, if that was the case, what is there to stop them loading bombed out buildings in Raqqa with dead civilians

I remember something about Tornados colliding a while back, will check it out later about 18 months ago?

In a perfect world we would go drop a few bombs on the nasty daesh men, be done, go home and leave Syrian Civilians in peace...The world is not perfect and there will always be collateral damage.

It is a god awful shitty mess now...

It seems like nobody in the Middle East can deal with them, Assad certainly cannot, only the Kurds seem to have had any kind of success against Daesh.

Any diplomatic approach is out the question, they will never negotiate and they need to be stopped.

I dont fully understand it...

The amendment to block military action has just been defeated by 390 to 211

If we cut off their fuel, money and arms - then yeah, they can look for other supplies.
There can only be so many supplies though.

With regard to cyber attacks. I am sure there can be all sorts of ways to take them down and make life awkward for them.
I think it was 'anonymous' who said they were going to cause chaos with Isis online presence after the Paris attacks.

The propaganda with the bodies is interesting.
In the example I gave, we would automatically believe the western press when they say it was an Isis convoy.
Those in Syria and the middle east, will believe the messages being put out by Isis and the news out there.
It can stir even more emotion and anger, regardless of whether it is actually true or not.
There was a guy on Look North last night who lived on Teesside somewhere.
He was pleading with the government, not to bomb Syria as his family out there could be killed.
I am not for one moment saying he would, but in a moment of madness after hearing some bad news (it could even be in the propaganda I mentioned above), who knows what that guy could do.

I am not sure anyone understands it - just look at the image yesterday! That is meant to portray things in an easy to understand image. Nigh on impossible to work it out.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 04 Dec 2015

I see Labour MP's are getting stick now from Corbyn Supporters for daring to vote against him, end of the day it was a free vote, it ain't as if they were whipped...

Our very own Bridget Phillipson has been targeted with trolls wishing harm on her New Born child

Baby of North East mp Targeted online over Syria vote

That is disgusting and vile and hope the trolls are found and dealt with accordingly

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - BusLoverMum - 09 Dec 2015

Durham are planning a household consultation on devolution for the new year
http://www.durham.gov.uk/article/7051/Household-poll-on-devolution-agreed

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 09 Dec 2015

(09 Dec 2015, 12:00 pm)BusLoverMum Durham are planning a household consultation on devolution for the new year
How would it be decided, would Devolution be started on a Consultation alone or would we get a referendum on the matter?

If we got devolution, I would like us to be able to run our own Sports Team...A North East England National Football Team along the lines of Scotland, anything would be better than the shite we call the England Team 😀

Seriously what would devolution entail, would it be like Scotland or a watered version of Scottish Devolution

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 09 Dec 2015

(09 Dec 2015, 12:00 pm)BusLoverMum Durham are planning a household consultation on devolution for the new year

Ian Mearns, Labour MP for Gateshead, asked a question around funding during today's PMQs. With the devolution of business rates, the combined 12 authorities will lose about £223 million a year, he reckons.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - BusLoverMum - 10 Dec 2015

(09 Dec 2015, 8:36 pm)Adrian Ian Mearns, Labour MP for Gateshead, asked a question around funding during today's PMQs. With the devolution of business rates, the combined 12 authorities will lose about £223 million a year, he reckons.

Wow. That's a lot.

I wonder how many people will be replying having had full access to all the issues concerned? I can think of few disadvantages of certain things being decided and planned locally, by people who know the region and its needs better than whitehall, but if it means that all these local plans have to be enacted on a far more restricted budget than otherwise, then it becomes an impossible dream, really.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - BusLoverMum - 10 Dec 2015

(09 Dec 2015, 7:24 pm)MrFozz How would it be decided, would Devolution be started on a Consultation alone or would we get a referendum on the matter?

If we got devolution, I would like us to be able to run our own Sports Team...A North East England National Football Team along the lines of Scotland, anything would be better than the shite we call the England Team ?

Seriously what would devolution entail, would it be like Scotland or a watered version of Scottish Devolution

The article was suggesting a limited form of devolution over issues like transport and education. A far cry from the republic of people wot southerners think all sound like geordies that some people would like!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - R852 PRG - 21 Dec 2015

I'm not usually one to voice my political views, but with regards to education, I'm curious as to something.

Why is it that some schools specify in their rules that members of staff must be addressed as ''Miss'' or ''Sir''? I feel that this is unnecessary for the 21st century, and that teaching staff should be addressed by their first name. I understand that it's simply a sign of respect for an authority figure, but I just don't think it's a necessity. Others may disagree of course, but it's something I always think should just be abolished from school rules. 

Personally, I'm against the usage of ''miss'' as it's sexist, or dates back to a time when women were unequal. The title dates back to a time where women would be relieved of their duties as a teacher upon marrying and becoming a ''Mrs.''. Flight attendants were similar; they would be sacked after marriage. I just don't see the point in having to address a teacher or any other superior in education by ''Miss'' or ''Sir''.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 21 Dec 2015

(21 Dec 2015, 7:55 pm)R852 PRG I'm not usually one to voice my political views, but with regards to education, I'm curious as to something.

Why is it that some schools specify in their rules that members of staff must be addressed as ''Miss'' or ''Sir''? I feel that this is unnecessary for the 21st century, and that teaching staff should be addressed by their first name. I understand that it's simply a sign of respect for an authority figure, but I just don't think it's a necessity. Others may disagree of course, but it's something I always think should just be abolished from school rules. 

Personally, I'm against the usage of ''miss'' as it's sexist, or dates back to a time when women were unequal. The title dates back to a time where women would be relieved of their duties as a teacher upon marrying and becoming a ''Mrs.''. Flight attendants were similar; they would be sacked after marriage. I just don't see the point in having to address a teacher or any other superior in education by ''Miss'' or ''Sir''.

I agree. I think I've put my view on this one forward before.

People are given names for a reason, and we shouldn't be afraid to call someone by their name. It might have been a sign of authority back then, but I really don't think it makes any odds these days. Not to mention that I agree that 'miss' is sexist, and I'd personally refuse to use it. I refused to use both when I was at school.

(21 Dec 2015, 7:59 pm)Adrian I agree. I think I've put my view on this one forward before.

People are given names for a reason, and we shouldn't be afraid to call someone by their name. It might have been a sign of authority back then, but I really don't think it makes any odds these days. Not to mention that I agree that 'miss' is sexist, and I'd personally refuse to use it. I refused to use both when I was at school.

Completely agree. Unfortunately for me, it's just become common practice to address an authority figure by ''Miss'' or ''Sir'' as it's been drilled into me by the education system. I can vividly remember on our last day in Year 6, our teacher told us to never address him as ''Sir'' if we ever came back to visit him, as he would rather be addressed by his first name rather than that. 

I have some strong beliefs about our education system, this being one of them. While some schools do things differently; I don't think Religious Education is a necessity, and should in fact by replaced with Politics. I think gaining an education about something that everybody should have an understanding of, given that it is so important in everyday life, is far more important than learning about a bunch of fictional books that have nowhere near as much impact on people nowadays. It's ridiculous.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Jimmi - 21 Dec 2015

(21 Dec 2015, 8:06 pm)R852 PRG I have some strong beliefs about our education system, this being one of them. While some schools do things differently; I don't think Religious Education is a necessity, and should in fact by replaced with Politics. I think gaining an education about something that everybody should have an understanding of, given that it is so important in everyday life, is far more important than learning about a bunch of fictional books that have nowhere near as much impact on people nowadays. It's ridiculous.

I don't think religion should be completely demolished, I think you could maybe do a bit of it in PSHE lessons (think all schools have this lesson, may be wrong as I don't really know what normal school lessons are like as I actually went to a special needs school). I had very little taught to me about politics when I was in school and at 21 I still know next to nothing, my lesson in politics was basically watching BBC TWO comedy panel shows, I do wish I had an intrest in politics but I can't seem to wrap my head around it, possibly because I know so little about it.

(21 Dec 2015, 8:23 pm)Jimmi I don't think religion should be completely demolished, I think you could maybe do a bit of it in PSHE lessons (think all schools have this lesson, may be wrong as I don't really know what normal school lessons are like as I actually went to a special needs school). I had very little taught to me about politics when I was in school and at 21 I still know next to nothing, my lesson in politics was basically watching BBC TWO comedy panel shows, I do wish I had an intrest in politics but I can't seem to wrap my head around it, possibly because I know so little about it.

There isn't any PSHE in our weekly timetable. I believe the legal requirement is 1 hour per week. Instead, once every five weeks we have a day dedicated to PSHE (called ''Go Ahead'' days) which, like any other school day, has five periods and so technically we get PSHE. I just view it as completely pointless.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 21 Dec 2015

(21 Dec 2015, 8:23 pm)Jimmi I don't think religion should be completely demolished, I think you could maybe do a bit of it in PSHE lessons (think all schools have this lesson, may be wrong as I don't really know what normal school lessons are like as I actually went to a special needs school). I had very little taught to me about politics when I was in school and at 21 I still know next to nothing, my lesson in politics was basically watching BBC TWO comedy panel shows, I do wish I had an intrest in politics but I can't seem to wrap my head around it, possibly because I know so little about it.

It shouldn't be taught in community schools.

Something like Politics would be a better option to teach at that age, or even just general life skills. You're never taught anything about tax, mortgages, finance or anything that you need to know for life.

(21 Dec 2015, 8:37 pm)Adrian It shouldn't be taught in community schools.

Something like Politics would be a better option to teach at that age, or even just general life skills. You're never taught anything about tax, mortgages, finance or anything that you need to know for life.

Keep seeing a lot of stuff like that on Facebook and Twitter at the moment. I don't see the point in teaching children about religion; yes, it is still widely practiced in the modern society, but other things such as a political education should take priority in my opinion. I agree with your point about life skills, Adrian, but on the positive side, at least I know all about pythagoras theorem... Big Grin

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Jimmi - 21 Dec 2015

(21 Dec 2015, 8:37 pm)Adrian It shouldn't be taught in community schools.

Don't know why I said it shouldn't be demolished, I hated those lessons, it just seemed like a pointless waste of time and I have not been able to put anything I learnt from that lesson to use in my day to day life and there should certainly be more taught about paying tax, mortgages, finance and stuff like that, I know absolutely sod all about this and I have now started to stress myself out about it as I generally fear what I am going to do when I get older and have purely dependent on myself, this and a few similar things are keeping me up at night, no idea what I'm going to do in future, I know nothing about paying bills and when I hear people talking about mortgages, they may as well be discussing the topic in another language. Sad

(21 Dec 2015, 8:48 pm)Jimmi Don't know why I said it shouldn't be demolished, I hated those lessons, it just seemed like a pointless waste of time and I have not been able to put anything I learnt from that lesson to use in my day to day life and there should certainly be more taught about paying tax, mortgages, finance and stuff like that, I know absolutely sod all about this and I have now started to stress myself out about it as I generally fear what I am going to do when I get older and have purely dependent on myself, this and a few similar things are keeping me up at night, no idea what I'm going to do in future, I know nothing about paying bills and when I hear people talking about mortgages, they may as well be discussing the topic in another language. Sad

I used to feel similar whenever I viewed this thread, however, I've taken the time to read into politics and what has happened in the past, the different political states in different societies, and it's slowly become more understandable. However, I think it's wrong that it's had to be almost self-taught, it should be actively encouraged and taught in schools, as opposed to some pointless lessons. I no longer have an hour a week of RE, but for Years 7-9, an hour of political education could be very helpful in allowing them to find out more about the world we live in.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 06 Jan 2016

https://twitter.com/KevanJonesMP/status/684716024764170240
Kevan Jones is standing down from the front bench.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 06 Jan 2016

(06 Jan 2016, 12:46 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/KevanJonesMP/status/684716024764170240
Kevan Jones is standing down from the front bench.
Is Jezzas authority starting to fall apart, I wont pretend I knownwhat is happening, but from what I seen on the news, it seems like his authority is waning a bit

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 06 Jan 2016

(06 Jan 2016, 1:36 pm)MrFozz Is Jezzas authority starting to fall apart, I wont pretend I knownwhat is happening, but from what I seen on the news, it seems like his authority is waning a bit

It is certainly playing into Cameron's hands - but I am not sure there is any lack of authority. Despite what the media is saying.
Reshuffles are part and parcel of politics. A quick google search reveals Cameron has undertaken one each year. Some members of the Tory Party are shifted about annually - as though it is 'jobs for the boys', despite being incompetent in their previous cabinet role.

I just wish MP's would listen to what members of their party want, rather than behave like spoilt kids.