North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 06 Jan 2016

(06 Jan 2016, 3:28 pm)Andreos1 It is certainly playing into Cameron's hands - but I am not sure there is any lack of authority. Despite what the media is saying.
Reshuffles are part and parcel of politics. A quick google search reveals Cameron has undertaken one each year. Some members of the Tory Party are shifted about annually - as though it is 'jobs for the boys', despite being incompetent in their previous cabinet role.

I just wish MP's would listen to what members of their party want, rather than behave like spoilt kids.

Exactly.

What is currently happening in the Labour Party is symptomatic of what happens when the PLP are out of touch with party members.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 06 Jan 2016

(06 Jan 2016, 1:36 pm)MrFozz Is Jezzas authority starting to fall apart, I wont pretend I knownwhat is happening, but from what I seen on the news, it seems like his authority is waning a bit
(06 Jan 2016, 3:28 pm)Andreos1 It is certainly playing into Cameron's hands - but I am not sure there is any lack of authority. Despite what the media is saying.
Reshuffles are part and parcel of politics. A quick google search reveals Cameron has undertaken one each year. Some members of the Tory Party are shifted about annually - as though it is 'jobs for the boys', despite being incompetent in their previous cabinet role.

I just wish MP's would listen to what members of their party want, rather than behave like spoilt kids.

I wouldn't say Jeremy's authority is starting to fall apart. Far from it in fact. I think he's quite right to remove those who have publicly tried to undermine him, as if he didn't, the media would still argue that it's falling apart! 

I agree with the last point, and I've been saying this for years. The Lib Dems haven't became an irrelevance through their own mistakes between 2010-15. They've became an irrelevance because Labour has slowly drifted to the centre, through their army of career politicians. 

Jeremy Corbyn received 152 CLP nominations, yet Corbyn only received 36. How can there be a irregularity of 116, if MPs were representing their constituencies?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 18 Jan 2016

Tata have announced redundancies at various sites across the UK, including their site in Hartlepool.

Meanwhile, Gideon continues to search for cheap Chinese steel imports... Huh

I wonder how these continuous closures affect the treasury?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 18 Jan 2016

(18 Jan 2016, 11:52 am)Andreos1 Tata have announced redundancies at various sites across the UK, including their site in Hartlepool.

Meanwhile, Gideon continues to search for cheap Chinese steel imports... Huh

I wonder how these continuous closures affect the treasury?

This is how backward our Government are. Importing steel because it's cheaper than UK production, yet on the other hand doing little to nothing to support a UK steel industry. Not to mention that purchasing British steel ensures that the money goes straight back into the UK economy.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 18 Jan 2016

Durham County Council are carrying out a consultation poll on the proposed North East Devolution Agreement. Letters have been sent to all homes across the county, with the option to complete and post, or complete online. 

A copy of the leaflet being sent out with the letter is here: http://www.durham.gov.uk/media/8683/North-East-Devolution-leaflet/pdf/DevolutionPollLeaflet.pdf

There are 4 questions to answer. I've copied them below for information.

.png
devo1.PNG
Size 44.83 KB / Downloads 12

.png
devo2.PNG
Size 44.37 KB / Downloads 24

.png
devo3.PNG
Size 30.75 KB / Downloads 13

.png
devo4.PNG
Size 30.13 KB / Downloads 11

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - BusLoverMum - 18 Jan 2016

(18 Jan 2016, 2:30 pm)Adrian Durham County Council are carrying out a consultation poll on the proposed North East Devolution Agreement. Letters have been sent to all homes across the county, with the option to complete and post, or complete online. 

A copy of the leaflet being sent out with the letter is here: http://www.durham.gov.uk/media/8683/North-East-Devolution-leaflet/pdf/DevolutionPollLeaflet.pdf

Got my letter last week. Haven't got around to reading it, yet. I might get half a chance if I take it into the loo with me.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 18 Jan 2016

(18 Jan 2016, 2:30 pm)Adrian Durham County Council are carrying out a consultation poll on the proposed North East Devolution Agreement. Letters have been sent to all homes across the county, with the option to complete and post, or complete online. 

Is this a way to push devolution onto us without a Referendum and is Devolution going to happen regardless???

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 18 Jan 2016

(18 Jan 2016, 2:26 pm)Adrian This is how backward our Government are. Importing steel because it's cheaper than UK production, yet on the other hand doing little to nothing to support a UK steel industry. Not to mention that purchasing British steel ensures that the money goes straight back into the UK economy.

Including taxes (paye and business), wages into local economy etc etc.
Incredibly shortsighted to state the funds allocated for redundancy and re-training will be of benefit - when the private sector are reluctant to invest or employ, in a recession hit economy, witness to the biggest trade deficit in UK history.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 07 Feb 2016

Sunderland Council have issued a similar survey in a special edition of their newsletter.
I will try and get photos attached later on.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 07 Feb 2016

(07 Feb 2016, 9:54 am)Andreos1 Sunderland Council have issued a similar survey in a special edition of their newsletter.
I will try and get photos attached later on.

I'd seen something on their consultation portal, but it would allow anyone to comment on it. DCC's required a two part passcode to access.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 18 Feb 2016

Although no the UK, this is from America:

Trump says he'd build a wall along the Mexican border.

Trump himself said in early February that his wall would probably cost $8 billion. Basing the cost on highway panels, the price-tag for the wall alone would cost around $10 billion, which is not accounting for the cost of construction that would take at least four years over the border's diverse terrain.

Trump has repeated many times that Mexico, not the U.S., would foot the bill.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/17/politics/donald-trump-mexico-wall/index.html?sr=fbCNN021816donald-trump-mexico-wall1203AMVODtopLink&linkId=21363412

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - BusLoverMum - 20 Feb 2016

Who will he use for labour to build that wall?

-------------------

Meantime, back at home, let the pantomime begin.
https://www.politicshome.com/party-politics/articles/story/george-galloway-joins-nigel-farage-stage-brexit-rally

I might just program all my devices to block anything with the word brexit in.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 20 Feb 2016

(20 Feb 2016, 8:17 am)BusLoverMum Who will he use for labour to build that wall?

-------------------

Meantime, back at home, let the pantomime begin.
https://www.politicshome.com/party-politics/articles/story/george-galloway-joins-nigel-farage-stage-brexit-rally

I might just program all my devices to block anything with the word brexit in.

Known that idiot, it'll be the Mexicans! 

-------------

I bet we won't be told whats good about staying in the EU or what will be bad..............

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - BusLoverMum - 20 Feb 2016

(20 Feb 2016, 8:42 am)Michael Known that idiot, it'll be the Mexicans! 

-------------

I bet we won't be told whats good about staying in the EU or what will be bad..............

The analogy used on last leg, last night was rather good. Didn't explain the whys and wherefors, but explained the possible outcomes pretty well!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 20 Feb 2016

(20 Feb 2016, 8:42 am)Michael Known that idiot, it'll be the Mexicans! 

-------------

We should do. There'll be strong support on both sides, with groups set up like for the Scottish referendum. It obviously requires voters to engage their brain a bit still, and not believe everything they read in the press.

BBC has now published it's editorial standards for the EU referendum. Appendix 8 can be found here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/guidelines/appendix8

(20 Feb 2016, 12:01 pm)Adrian We should do. There'll be strong support on both sides, with groups set up like for the Scottish referendum. It obviously requires voters to engage their brain a bit still, and not believe everything they read in the press.

BBC has now published it's editorial standards for the EU referendum. Appendix 8 can be found here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/guidelines/appendix8

All i want from this:

No benefits for people coming to the country for at least 5 years + stop allowing parents sending benefits to their children in their own country, 
UK gets to say what we take in for immigration,
Stop sending millions a day to fund the EU, where they keep it or bail out Greece, it could be spent better here.

Also once again, the good and bad points of staying and leaving in the EU.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 20 Feb 2016

(20 Feb 2016, 12:15 pm)Michael All i want from this:

No benefits for people coming to the country for at least 5 years + stop allowing parents sending benefits to their children in their own country, 
UK gets to say what we take in for immigration,
Stop sending millions a day to fund the EU, where they keep it or bail out Greece, it could be spent better here.

Also once again, the good and bad points of staying and leaving in the EU.

What are your views on denying EU migrants access to in-work benefits? They're a life line to many working people in the UK, and it's allowed employers to get away with paying piss poor wages for years. 

In my opinion, nobody should require in-work benefits, because employers should be paying workers a decent wage in the first place. To remove in-work benefits from people, solely based on where they come from, is a disgrace. It's saying to low skilled workers that a condition of coming to the UK, is that they work and live in poverty.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 20 Feb 2016

I like what Dave has said up to now...

No joining the Euro
No part of Schengen
No part of a EU Superstate
No part of an EU Armed Force

Looking very likely June 23rd is the day of the Referendum

Not sure how I will vote just yet, have to wait and see what the Yes and No campaigners have to say

(20 Feb 2016, 12:23 pm)Adrian What are your views on denying EU migrants access to in-work benefits? They're a life line to many working people in the UK, and it's allowed employers to get away with paying piss poor wages for years. 

In my opinion, nobody should require in-work benefits, because employers should be paying workers a decent wage in the first place. To remove in-work benefits from people, solely based on where they come from, is a disgrace. It's saying to low skilled workers that a condition of coming to the UK, is that they work and live in poverty.

EU migrants should have access to in work benefits why shouldn't they?, they work for them, then they can have in work benefits, but like you said no one should have them because companies should be paying them decent wages but that doesn't happen.

However on the other side of the coin they shouldn't be able to claim for child benefits for their children who aren't even in the country.... you can't do that anywhere else so why does the UK have to give them out?.

A few smaller countries are against this... i wonder why?, Is that because we give your people money so you don't have to? (My point before about been able to claim benefits for children not even in the country) 

I'm not a racist, but its really annoying how they can come in to the country and soon as they arrive they can claim everything, you can't do that in America or Australia... although they aren't part of the EU... but that was a couple of examples. 

Have we even been told the deal David got yet?

(20 Feb 2016, 12:28 pm)MrFozz I like what Dave has said up to now...

No joining the Euro
No part of Schengen
No part of a EU Superstate
No part of an EU Armed Force

Looking very likely June 23rd is the day of the Referendum

Not sure how I will vote just yet, have to wait and see what the Yes and No campaigners have to say

That'll be fun, no doubt they won't tell us why its good to stay or leave or why its bad to stay or leave... it'll be all bickering with no actual facts.

EDIT:

EU REFRENDUM CALLED - 23rd JUNE