North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 06 May 2016

(06 May 2016, 4:18 pm)Andreos1 Saw this earlier. Very pleased.

It is yet another tory u-turn. They're almost going in circles now!

One additional thing that I am pleased about is the end of the free land grab.
Each of these academies would have been given potentially hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of local authority land, given to them for nothing.
Of course what would have stopped them selling off portions in the future?Over the

Ye, wonder if its to do with the upcoming EU vote.... no doubt it'll come back up again.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - NK53 TKT - 06 May 2016

(06 May 2016, 4:11 pm)Michael I bet they are, i know a few people who work in education and they are thrilled with this U-turn.

It was a disgrace anyway, to me it should of never of been proposed, Nicky Morgan should resign.

Is this how you can afford all these holidays? Tongue

Probably, I don't pay though with me only being 11 Tongue 
I am just lucky, normally I choose them as well.

As far Nicky Morgan I agree, my parents think only a former teacher should be the education secretary

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 06 May 2016

(06 May 2016, 4:33 pm)NK53 TKT Probably, I don't pay though with me only being 11 Tongue 
I am just lucky, normally I choose them as well.

As far Nicky Morgan I agree, my parents think only a former teacher should be the education secretary

Tongue

I agree, said it a long time but its always someone who has money, who gets the job and has no idea!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 06 May 2016

(06 May 2016, 4:18 pm)Andreos1 Saw this earlier. Very pleased.

It is yet another tory u-turn. They're almost going in circles now!

One additional thing that I am pleased about is the end of the free land grab.
Each of these academies would have been given potentially hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of local authority land, given to them for nothing.
Of course what would have stopped them selling off portions in the future?Over the

Not just the land, but the playing fields too. There's no obligation to keep them as playing fields either...

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Charles41 - 07 May 2016

(06 May 2016, 4:44 pm)Adrian Not just the land, but the playing fields too. There's no obligation to keep them as playing fields either...

There's also the question of access to playing fields as well. When schools become academies there is a tendency to take away historic facility for the wider community to use playing fields for recreation.

My former school used to have playing fields which were open to all to use free of charge outside of school hours. They now have a large fence around them and a no admittance policy.

The academy my partner's son attends has excellent modern sporting facilities. However these are only available to clubs by prior arrangement at a weekend on a fee paying basis. I feel this is wrong, facilities should be made available for all to use. Also the academy is surrounded by high fences and electronic gates. My partner has to buzz the intercom if she wants to visit. It's meant to be a school not a bloody prison.

Charles

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 07 May 2016

(07 May 2016, 8:23 am)Charles41 There's also the question of access to playing fields as well. When schools become academies there is a tendency to take away historic facility for the wider community to use playing fields for recreation.

My former school used to have playing fields which were open to all to use free of charge outside of school hours. They now have a large fence around them and a no admittance policy.

The academy my partner's son attends has excellent modern sporting facilities. However these are only available to clubs by prior arrangement at a weekend on a fee paying basis. I feel this is wrong, facilities should be made available for all to use. Also the academy is surrounded by high fences and electronic gates. My partner has to buzz the intercom if she wants to visit. It's meant to be a school not a bloody prison.

Charles

Most school playing fields (at least the ones in Sunderland) have always been private property, and access to such has always been considered trespass. I recall Sunderland schools having sign posts up about it, and that's going back to the mid-90s?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 07 May 2016

The majority of schools stepped up their security post Dunblane.

I remember the waist high wooden fences (mine didn't have any), being replaced with the 6ft metal ones with a spike on the top.A

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - BusLoverMum - 07 May 2016

(07 May 2016, 8:23 am)Charles41 There's also the question of access to playing fields as well. When schools become academies there is a tendency to take away historic facility for the wider community to use playing fields for recreation.

Charles

Local primary has high fences and intercom. Pretty standard. From my POV, it means that Littl'un can't just take himself for walks. He'd not be able to attend his local school, otherwise. It also means that parents with a grudge to bear can't just march in and that pupils can spend their school day safe from adults in their life who aren't supposed to have any contact with them, for good reason.

Also has the added bonus that the (many) local scrappies have to make the effort to throw stuff over a very high, extremely prickly hedge if they want to fly tip. The field isn't as well protected as the school yards.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 07 May 2016

(07 May 2016, 7:31 pm)BusLoverMum Local primary has high fences and intercom. Pretty standard. From my POV, it means that Littl'un can't just take himself for walks. He'd not be able to attend his local school, otherwise. It also means that parents with a grudge to bear can't just march in and that pupils can spend their school day safe from adults in their life who aren't supposed to have any contact with them, for good reason.

Also has the added bonus that the (many) local scrappies have to make the effort to throw stuff over a very high, extremely prickly hedge if they want to fly tip. The field isn't as well protected as the school yards.

...and it all makes sense really.

When I was in primary school, we had a huge field attached to the school, with one of those waist height wooden fences. I remember it, as everyone used to sit on it. You were told not to go past the trees at the top, but there'd be nothing stopping you leaving the field at the top, or even worse, someone taking you from it.

As Andreos1 mentioned above, it'll have been around the time of Dunblane, where we upgraded to one of the big metal fences. I recall it being locked during the school day, and only opened again at 3pm.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 09 May 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36242312

Pleased to see progress with this at long last.
It begs the question though - who else was complicit?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 15 May 2016

If want to vote in the EU referendum, you have to sign up to do it... you must register by 7 June if you want to vote in the EU referendum on 23 June.
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Just thought i would share it on here for people who don't know and are old enough to vote!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Chris - 17 May 2016

A bit of 'Politics' crossed with 'What's Made You Happy Today' if you can imagine such a thing - but I've been appointed as a Count Assistant for the EU Referendum Count on 23rd June.

I done the same for the recent PCC/Local elections, and as geeky as it sounds, I found the whole thing fascinating. 

I'm actually looking forward to it!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 17 May 2016

North East agrees devolution deal
http://www.northeastca.gov.uk/news/north-east-agrees-devolution-deal

A sad day for democracy...

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 18 May 2016

What would the State Opening of Parliament be without the obligatory Dennis Skinner quip?

(Like last year, boring?)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 18 May 2016

(18 May 2016, 11:23 am)MurdnunoC What would the State Opening of Parliament be without the obligatory Dennis Skinner quip?

(Like last year, boring?)

He is nowt compared to the EFF!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7WR4ZszgR0

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 18 May 2016

(18 May 2016, 11:27 am)Andreos1 He is nowt compared to the EFF!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7WR4ZszgR0

That wouldn't be out of place in a wrestling show.

The brawl even looks staged and the crowd-noise sounds almost artificial.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 31 May 2016

I received and completed my postal vote today, with regard to the EU referendum.

It has gone back already.

Hopefully those not registered to vote, have followed Michael's tips from a few weeks back.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 31 May 2016

(31 May 2016, 8:37 pm)Andreos1 I received and completed my postal vote today, with regard to the EU referendum.

It has gone back already.

Hopefully those not registered to vote, have followed Michael's tips from a few weeks back.

Do you fall under Sunderland or Durham for electoral? I'm in Durham and my card says they won't start coming out until tomorrow.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 01 Jun 2016

(31 May 2016, 8:46 pm)Adrian Do you fall under Sunderland or Durham for electoral? I'm in Durham and my card says they won't start coming out until tomorrow.

I haven't fallen under County Hall's remit for quite a few years now. It must be 10 years + since they last sent voting paperwork out to me.

It won't let me post the link unfortunately, but The Morning Star have a quite balanced perspective on the EU vote. Outlining some of the difficulties union members face, specifically around workers rights. It mentions the positives and negatives of EU legislation.
I will keep on trying to post the link.

Edit: https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-8df5-Workers-rights-The-EU-Dilemma#.V06md3RwbqA

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 02 Jun 2016

This in related to the upcoming Stagecoach in Sunderland from this Sunderland

-----------------------

Sunderland OAPs fight bus service changes

They have now met with Washington and Sunderland West MP Bridget Phillipson, to hand over petitions, they hope will influence Stagecoach to keep the services running.

Elderly Oakfield Court residents, are concerned that they will have to walk to the Board Inn roundabout on the A690, approximately half-a-mile away, to catch the Number 4 bus. A petition attracted 76 signatures.

The Plains Road residents, many of whom are in their 80s, also face a similar hike for the Number 18 and 19 services, which they face losing altogether in the evenings.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/sunderland-oaps-fight-bus-service-changes-1-7944408

I thought Bridget Phillipson would be involved!

The 18/19 don't even on an evening haha