North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - cbma06 - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 6:50 pm)Michael This in related to the upcoming Stagecoach in Sunderland from this Sunderland

-----------------------

Sunderland OAPs fight bus service changes

They have now met with Washington and Sunderland West MP Bridget Phillipson, to hand over petitions, they hope will influence Stagecoach to keep the services running.

Elderly Oakfield Court residents, are concerned that they will have to walk to the Board Inn roundabout on the A690, approximately half-a-mile away, to catch the Number 4 bus. A petition attracted 76 signatures.

The Plains Road residents, many of whom are in their 80s, also face a similar hike for the Number 18 and 19 services, which they face losing altogether in the evenings.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/sunderland-oaps-fight-bus-service-changes-1-7944408

I thought Bridget Phillipson would be involved!

The 18/19 don't even on an evening haha

yea I saw that aswell plus about having to walk to board inn to get service 4, which wont even run in that area after the bus changes

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 02 Jun 2016

yea I saw that aswell plus about having to walk to board inn to get service 4, which wont even run in that area after the bus changes

--------------------

Ye, luckily my bus (the 23) isn't changing only the 18/19, however i do disagree on some changes, like the 18/19 going through Pennywell, why?, they have the 10/11 and 20!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 6:50 pm)Michael This in related to the upcoming Stagecoach in Sunderland from this Sunderland

-----------------------

Sunderland OAPs fight bus service changes

They have now met with Washington and Sunderland West MP Bridget Phillipson, to hand over petitions, they hope will influence Stagecoach to keep the services running.

Elderly Oakfield Court residents, are concerned that they will have to walk to the Board Inn roundabout on the A690, approximately half-a-mile away, to catch the Number 4 bus. A petition attracted 76 signatures.

The Plains Road residents, many of whom are in their 80s, also face a similar hike for the Number 18 and 19 services, which they face losing altogether in the evenings.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/sunderland-oaps-fight-bus-service-changes-1-7944408

I thought Bridget Phillipson would be involved!

The 18/19 don't even on an evening haha

What's wrong with that? Local MP getting involved in local issues. I'd expect the same from the person I elect.

Whilst I don't particularly agree with cut backs in the first place, it's evident that Nexus should be stepping in, if there's a need such as the one described. I don't know why the Echo haven't contacted Huw Lewis for a soundbite?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 7:06 pm)Adrian What's wrong with that? Local MP getting involved in local issues. I'd expect the same from the person I elect.

Whilst I don't particularly agree with cut backs in the first place, it's evident that Nexus should be stepping in, if there's a need such as the one described. I don't know why the Echo haven't contacted Huw Lewis for a soundbite?

She makes up facts, such as all those 35 changes, she needs to get stuff like that correct, then again, she is an MP....

Stagecoach are working with NEXUS:

18/19:

Alternative facilities to Hendon Road are provided by revised Service 11, running up to every 15 minutes. In addition, the revised Service 12 will provide more frequent alternative links to Tunstall Road and Essen Way, and Service E1 will continue to provide regular links to Roker Avenue. Whilst South Bents Estate will no longer be served by Stagecoach buses, frequent Services E1, E2 and E6 continue to run along Whitburn Bents Road at the entrance to the estate, and we are working with Nexus to identify if any alternative facilities may be provided in the local area.

Although it looks like its only for Whitburn area.

I wonder if Stagecoach would reconsider these changes, if more and more people sign it..

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 7:14 pm)Michael She makes up facts, such as all those 35 changes, she needs to get stuff like that correct, then again, she is an MP....

Stagecoach are working with NEXUS:

18/19:

Alternative facilities to Hendon Road are provided by revised Service 11, running up to every 15 minutes. In addition, the revised Service 12 will provide more frequent alternative links to Tunstall Road and Essen Way, and Service E1 will continue to provide regular links to Roker Avenue. Whilst South Bents Estate will no longer be served by Stagecoach buses, frequent Services E1, E2 and E6 continue to run along Whitburn Bents Road at the entrance to the estate, and we are working with Nexus to identify if any alternative facilities may be provided in the local area.

Although it looks like its only for Whitburn area.

I wonder if Stagecoach would reconsider these changes, if more and more people sign it..

Nexus is an executive body of the North East Combined Authority whose remit is to oversee certain functions of public transport within the county of Tyne and Wear. The North East Combined Authority consists of councillors delegated to serve from each of the seven local authorities involved. NECA is a body of local governance.

An MP looks after the interests of constituents on a national level, sometimes acting as a conduit to intervene and/or influence decisions on a variety of local issues. While local and national interests may be aligned through party allegiance, common principles or collectively shared purposes or intentions; an MP is not required to abide decisions made by local councils or vice versa. Indeed, MP's and local councillors may be divided on a range of issues. Just because Nexus operates in the realm of local governance does not mean an MP is involved or has influence over any decisions made by the body. It is therefore unfair to assume that Bridget Phillipson works directly with Nexus and is aware of any future arrangements.

An MP can only act upon the complaints/concerns made by their constituents. To state unequivocally that Bridget 'makes things up' could be quite libellous. It is probably not unfair to suggest she may attempt to make political capital out of concerns made by constituents, but these concerns will most probably been raised because people feel they are affected by the proposed changes to services in the area. 

This is not to say the points you raise about the services in the area are incorrect nor is this an attempt to defend Bridget Phillipson, but there is a difference between MP's and local authorities.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - stagecoachbusdepot - 03 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 7:00 pm)Michael yea I saw that aswell plus about having to walk to board inn to get service 4, which wont even run in that area after the bus changes

--------------------

Ye, luckily my bus (the 23) isn't changing only the 18/19, however i do disagree on some changes, like the 18/19 going through Pennywell, why?, they have the 10/11 and 20!

The whole article is utter garbage.  The route of service 5 will be identical to that of service 4 from the top of Allendale Road to the Board Inn and on to Durham Road (albeit on a one way loop).  Therefore residents of Oakfield Court have no further to walk than currently, and just have to get on a bus showing number 5 instead of number 4.  A more valid argument would be that the frequency of their service has been slashed by two thirds.

Conversely, the 18/19 not only don't run on evenings anyway - but following the changes won't serve the Plains Farm end of Plains Road at any time of the day!  And the Durham Road end has plenty of other Stagecoach services so really not sure what the gripe is here.

Either very sloppy journalism or very sloppy politics, or both.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 03 Jun 2016

(03 Jun 2016, 12:19 am)stagecoachbusdepot The whole article is utter garbage.  The route of service 5 will be identical to that of service 4 from the top of Allendale Road to the Board Inn and on to Durham Road (albeit on a one way loop).  Therefore residents of Oakfield Court have no further to walk than currently, and just have to get on a bus showing number 5 instead of number 4.  A more valid argument would be that the frequency of their service has been slashed by two thirds.

Conversely, the 18/19 not only don't run on evenings anyway - but following the changes won't serve the Plains Farm end of Plains Road at any time of the day!  And the Durham Road end has plenty of other Stagecoach services so really not sure what the gripe is here.

Either very sloppy journalism or very sloppy politics, or both.

The statement from SNE was a perfect opportunity to usethe article to clarify the points about the 4 and 5.
Instead of a blanket statement about service reviews, they could have put right the misconceptions and allayed any concerns residents had.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 03 Jun 2016

(03 Jun 2016, 9:00 am)Andreos1 The statement from SNE was a perfect opportunity to usethe article to clarify the points about the 4 and 5.
Instead of a blanket statement about service reviews, they could have put right the misconceptions and allayed any concerns residents had.

Agree. Why does it take enthusiasts to point out key facts, when the company themselves neglected to mention it, when asked to comment.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - DunsBus - 04 Jun 2016

The 18/19 stopped running at nights and on Sundays back in June 2002.

Must have been a very slow news day at the Sunderland Echo!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 05 Jun 2016

It looks like the Tories are imploding over the EU debate.
John Major has made quite a few comments this morning about the Tories supporting Brexit.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 05 Jun 2016

(05 Jun 2016, 9:22 pm)Andreos1 It looks like the Tories are imploding over the EU debate.
John Major has made quite a few comments this morning about the Tories supporting Brexit.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - NK53 TKT - 06 Jun 2016

For me, not being old enough to do things like vote, I think I understand this referendum well and if I could vote, it would be to leave

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 06 Jun 2016

(06 Jun 2016, 6:13 am)NK53 TKT For me, not being old enough to do things like vote, I think I understand this referendum well and if I could vote, it would be to leave

Why leave?

Just asking out of curiosity more than anything. A lot of younger people are wanting to stay in according to surveys.

Anyone watching Andrew Neil and his 'discussion' with Hillary Benn?
Embarrassing

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 06 Jun 2016

Its the last day tomorrow for people who want to sign up to be able to vote in the EU referendum if you haven't already.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 06 Jun 2016

(06 Jun 2016, 6:52 pm)Andreos1 Anyone watching Andrew Neil and his 'discussion' with Hillary Benn?
Embarrassing

Andrew Neil is just as bad as Dimbleby. They're supposed to chair or host a debate, and end up doing most of the debating themselves.

Mind, you can always trust the independent broadcaster to find that Jeremy Corbyn farted 3 years ago.

(06 Jun 2016, 9:32 pm)Adrian Andrew Neil is just as bad as Dimbleby. They're supposed to chair or host a debate, and end up doing most of the debating themselves.

Mind, you can always trust the independent broadcaster to find that Jeremy Corbyn farted 3 years ago.

Benn couldn't get a word in edgeways. Appreciate they were on a tight schedule, but Neil kept pushing, talking, interrupting and interrupting again.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 06 Jun 2016

(06 Jun 2016, 9:38 pm)Andreos1 Benn couldn't get a word in edgeways. Appreciate they were on a tight schedule, but Neil kept pushing, talking, interrupting and interrupting again.

But note it's an interruption as soon as he's answering the question. I get that most politicians try and avoid the answers, but if you listen to Benn speaking, he's very direct in his answers. 

Kay Burley on Sky is the worst for it mind.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 07 Jun 2016

I've scrolled through the transcript, but I'd recommend watching Mike Ashley's appearance at commons committee from today.

I'll try and find a link when I get home.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - NK53 TKT - 07 Jun 2016

(06 Jun 2016, 7:15 am)Andreos1 Why leave?

Just asking out of curiosity more than anything. A lot of younger people are wanting to stay in according to surveys.

Some reasons include:
The EU is expensive
The EU is an anti-democratic bureaucracy
The EU wants to accept five new nations which it turn means more migrants will come and 100 million more people have the right to free movement
The EU currency is failing (this doesn't affect us)
The EU is very harsh on fishers making other countries have priorities over our waters (fish is also my favourite food) 

There are more reasons