North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 07 Jun 2016

(07 Jun 2016, 1:14 pm)Adrian I've scrolled through the transcript, but I'd recommend watching Mike Ashley's appearance at commons committee from today.

I'll try and find a link when I get home.

I heard snippets on the radio over the course of the day.
The bit I heard about the bag checks was seemingly the focus of attention earlier today.
(07 Jun 2016, 3:52 pm)NK53 TKT Some reasons include:
The EU is expensive
The EU is an anti-democratic bureaucracy
The EU wants to accept five new nations which it turn means more migrants will come and 100 million more people have the right to free movement
The EU currency is failing (this doesn't affect us)
The EU is very harsh on fishers making other countries have priorities over our waters (fish is also my favourite food) 

There are more reasons

Interesting.
I am out too, but not for all of those reasons (with a few others instead).

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - NK53 TKT - 07 Jun 2016

(07 Jun 2016, 4:05 pm)Andreos1 Interesting.
I am out too, but not for all of those reasons (with a few others instead).

You are clearly sensible, in my opinion Wink

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - PO51WNF - 07 Jun 2016

I'm also out. There's positive and negatives to both sides, but for me leaving just edges it.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 07 Jun 2016

(07 Jun 2016, 1:14 pm)Adrian I've scrolled through the transcript, but I'd recommend watching Mike Ashley's appearance at commons committee from today.

I'll try and find a link when I get home.

http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/a870989f-3119-4e2a-9ea7-e6ab094e77d1

Cameron vs Farage on ITV now, if anyone is interested.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 07 Jun 2016

(07 Jun 2016, 8:02 pm)Adrian Cameron vs Farage on ITV now, if anyone is interested.

Farage knows what he is talking a out like

(07 Jun 2016, 8:23 pm)Michael Farage knows what he is talking a out like

Really? I thought he was coming across like a raging racist.

Edit: He keeps making reference to 'unelected' EU commissioners. Does he not realise that it works on the same principal as our Parliament, where that we elect a series of MPs - not the PM, Chancellor and so on...

(07 Jun 2016, 8:24 pm)Adrian Really? I thought he was coming across like a raging racist.

Edit: He keeps making reference to 'unelected' EU commissioners. Does he not realise that it works on the same principal as our Parliament, where that we elect a series of MPs - not the PM, Chancellor and so on...

Because he has own opinion about immigration?

Oh wait.. I forgot its 2016 and others can't have their own opinion on subjects like immigration.

So do you not agree that we have too many people coming in to the country and most of them are taking advantage of the benefits system etc.. just like most of the people who live here to...

Just to note i'm not a racist... 

David shot himself on the foot already.. said if we leave, the wages will go down.. but didn't he set them....

-----

David also said he would get it down but he hasn't.. Country is getting packed.

(07 Jun 2016, 8:24 pm)Adrian Really? I thought he was coming across like a raging racist.

The difference being that if the PM is creating unpopular policies, he/she can still be voted out by their constituents or ousted by their MP's. Maybe even encouraged to leave by their colleagues. There are many examples of that happening over the last however many years.
Party members can have a vote to decide the leader of the party and potential PM.
We may even vote for a party based on the principles of the current leader.

I can't recall any of this ever happening with the un-elected commisioners in Brussels.

Edit: Just found this: http://www.debatingeurope.eu/focus/presidential-candidates/#.V1czanRwbqA Had no idea we could vote for the EU President in 2014.

(07 Jun 2016, 8:35 pm)Michael Because he has own opinion about immigration?

Oh wait.. I forgot its 2016 and others can't have their own opinion on subjects like immigration.

So do you not agree that we have too many people coming in to the country and most of them are taking advantage of the benefits system etc.. just like most of the people who live here to...

Just to note i'm not a racist... 

David shot himself on the foot already.. said if we leave, the wages will go down.. but didn't he set them....

-----

David also said he would get it down but he hasn't.. Country is getting packed.

What defines 'immigration'? Invisible borders in the majority of cases, drawn up by people going to war over land. Sad really, as nationality doesn't make me a different breed of human being to any other, no matter where they're from.

Where are your statistics on immigrants and taking advantage of the benefit system? I mean damn this immigrant, and this one, and even this one. They must be terrible people, coming over to the UK and making us a better kingdom. In all seriousness though, it'll be the same immigrants 'taking advantage' of our benefits system, as it is 'benefit cheats' that are creating austerity - another common myth.

Farage, and the rest of his clan, live on playing on insecurities of ordinary people. Bringing out a feeling of pride in being British in people and the sense of being a superior race, and then making them look for a blame to the country's problems. Unemployment may be high in one area, so they'll sharply be nudged at Europeans coming over to the UK, and taking up paid employment. Of course, no mention to 1.2m British people living elsewhere in the EU.

Of course you're allowed an opinion in 2016, and of course plenty of debate.

Did i say all of them of them come to take advantage?, no.

Infact its good they come to work and bring loads to the UK.

When others move to a diffrent country they can't take advantage of the systems in that country...

You can't move to Australia without money and a job..so why can't it be like that here...

Its also amazing that we can't send criminals back to their own countries because the EU courts block it... Just like the 50 mentioned in tonights debate.

(07 Jun 2016, 8:44 pm)Andreos1 The difference being that if the PM is creating unpopular policies, he/she can still be voted out by their constituents or ousted by their MP's. Maybe even encouraged to leave by their colleagues. There are many examples of that happening over the last however many years.
Party members can have a vote to decide the leader of the party and potential PM.
We may even vote for a party based on the principles of the current leader.

I can't recall any of this ever happening with the un-elected commisioners in Brussels.

Edit: Just found this: http://www.debatingeurope.eu/focus/presidential-candidates/#.V1czanRwbqA Had no idea we could vote for the EU President in 2014.

Same as Parliament. A motion of no confidence can be put, but what's the likelihood of it being successful, with the first past the post system? Only time I recall it happening was Callaghan, and that was lost by one vote, despite it being a minority government at the time.

Party members can vote for a leader, but who elects the members of a political party? You don't - you make a choice to join, as you do with a trade union, and only then do you get an opportunity to elect the leadership.

Adrian i take it you are voting to stay IN?

(07 Jun 2016, 9:13 pm)Michael Adrian i take it you are voting to stay IN?

I was neutral on it to be honest, and my trade union's policy is neutral too. But I'm a member of the Labour Party, so have bought in to their remain campaign.

I do believe that were better actively campaigning for change in something, rather than being out of it and still pointing the finger of blame.

(07 Jun 2016, 9:22 pm)Adrian I was neutral on it to be honest, and my trade union's policy is neutral too. But I'm a member of the Labour Party, so have bought in to their remain campaign.

I do believe that were better actively campaigning for change in something, rather than being out of it and still pointing the finger of blame.

I'm Labour to but I'm yet to decide, reason why... both had good answers throughout the debate...

There's another one on Thursday, i think ITV said it was with 6 people this time.

(07 Jun 2016, 9:07 pm)Adrian Same as Parliament. A motion of no confidence can be put, but what's the likelihood of it being successful, with the first past the post system? Only time I recall it happening was Callaghan, and that was lost by one vote, despite it being a minority government at the time.

Party members can vote for a leader, but who elects the members of a political party? You don't - you make a choice to join, as you do with a trade union, and only then do you get an opportunity to elect the leadership.
It's not the same though.
The link I shared above (from the EU Parliament) stated that one of the biggest chritiscism is that the commisioners are unelected. Until 2014 and there are more than enough criticisms about that 'election'.

With regard to becoming an MP. You get your 10 nominations and sorted. It is up to the public to then vote the candidate in to Parliament.

Party members and members of the public are involved at every stage of an MP being elected.

I have copied this for clarity
The European Council votes by qualified majority for a nominee for the post of President, taking account of the latest European election. This proposal is then put before Parliament which must approve or veto the appointment. If an absolute majority of MEPs support the nominee, he/she is elected. The President then, together with the Council, puts forward his team to the Parliament to be scrutinised. The Parliament normally insists that each one of them appear before the parliamentary committee that corresponds to their prospective portfolio for a public hearing. The Parliament then votes on the Commission as a whole and, if approved, the European Council, acting by a qualified majority, appoints the President and his team to office
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2008:115:0013:0045:EN:PDF

(07 Jun 2016, 9:26 pm)Andreos1. Party members and members of the public are involved at every stage of an MP being elected.

Will have a look at the link when I'm on a computer. It won't play ball on my phone. 

I don't disagree on the process of electing an MP, but it's a political party that decides who is taking up all the top jobs. We don't pick and choose, and have no influence over that. Perhaps Scotland is a better example, where they have what.... 1 Tory MP, but are controlled by a central Tory Government.

What about the North East Combined Authority as another example. Is anyone on that elected to serve as a member of NECA?

I don't think the EU commission is democratic, but the point I'm making is that it's not always rosey in our garden either. The best way to change something is by being part of it.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - James101 - 07 Jun 2016

Regarding the ITV debate, I find it unfair the Leave campaign was represented by Farage, rather than anyone affiliated with the official Vote Leave campaign. He will always come across as a boob.

(07 Jun 2016, 9:53 pm)James101 Regarding the ITV debate, I find it unfair the Leave campaign was represented by Farage, rather than anyone affiliated with the official Vote Leave campaign. He will always come across as a boob.

I agree, but whilst Cameron would always be reluctant appearing against Farage, I think one of his own party would be a non starter.

Mind I don't like this format either. It should be a real head to head.

(07 Jun 2016, 9:51 pm)Adrian Will have a look at the link when I'm on a computer. It won't play ball on my phone. 

I don't disagree on the process of electing an MP, but it's a political party that decides who is taking up all the top jobs. We don't pick and choose, and have no influence over that. Perhaps Scotland is a better example, where they have what.... 1 Tory MP, but are controlled by a central Tory Government.

What about the North East Combined Authority as another example. Is anyone on that elected to serve as a member of NECA?

I don't think the EU commission is democratic, but the point I'm making is that it's not always rosey in our garden either. The best way to change something is by being part of it.

For some reason the link (The Lisbon Treaty) isn't working. Copy and paste it in to your address bar and it should be fine.

I take your point about it not being perfect in the UK, but I prefer the system we have to the one forced on us by Brussels.

You mentioned Callaghan, but I think the ousting of Thatcher is an interesting one. Granted EU Presidents can only stay in power for 5 years, but I found a line in the PDF that states a President can only be deselected if guilty of misconduct. There is no mention of any of the issues the tories had in 89 or 90, when they eventually listened to the party members and public opinion. Now Junker could be the most un-popular president in EU history etc etc., and unless he is guilty of misconduct, there isn't a thing anyone can do to remove him from power according to the clauses.