North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - NK53 TKT - 08 Jun 2016

(07 Jun 2016, 9:26 pm)Andreos1 It's not the same though.
The link I shared above (from the EU Parliament) stated that one of the biggest chritiscism is that the commisioners are unelected. Until 2014 and there are more than enough criticisms about that 'election'.

With regard to becoming an MP. You get your 10 nominations and sorted. It is up to the public to then vote the candidate in to Parliament.

Party members and members of the public are involved at every stage of an MP being elected.

I have copied this for clarity
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2008:115:0013:0045:EN:PDF
I agree, the EU is undemocratic and there are loads of 'elite' members of parliament 
We don't vote for our MEP Angel

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MurdnunoC - 08 Jun 2016

(08 Jun 2016, 6:12 am)NK53 TKT We don't vote for our MEP Angel

I'm afraid you're wrong there. We do vote for MEP's and always have done. In 2014, three members were returned for the North East Region: two Labour candidates and one UKIP representative respectively. Europeans elections are determined by PR (Proportional Representation) which is, arguably, a more democratic way of electing our representatives than the FTFP (First Past the Post) currently used to elect our representatives both Nationally and Locally.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - James101 - 08 Jun 2016

(07 Jun 2016, 9:59 pm)Adrian I agree, but whilst Cameron would always be reluctant appearing against Farage, I think one of his own party would be a non starter.

Mind I don't like this format either. It should be a real head to head.

I thought last night's format was useful for conveying each person's message to the audience, but made for poor TV. 

Julie Etchingham didn't seem a very authoritative host, so I think a head to head would have just descended into chaos. Dimbleby would have made a good host.

It just took me 3 attempts to type 'Dimbleby' as my phone kept correcting it to 'fumble recovery'!!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - mb134 - 08 Jun 2016

I've not got a clue how to vote in the Referendum to be honest, both sides just seem to be shouting at each other without giving any real facts.

Part of me wants to vote 'Leave' for change more than anything, however part of me is scared that if we leave, the economy will nosedive.

Both sides seem to be contradicting each other when it comes to the NHS as well, and as this is something that is very important to me, does anyone have any facts they could link?

(08 Jun 2016, 7:58 am)MurdnunoC I'm afraid you're wrong there. We do vote for MEP's and always have done. In 2014, three members were returned for the North East Region: two Labour candidates and one UKIP representative respectively. Europeans elections are determined by PR (Proportional Representation) which is, arguably, a more democratic way of electing our representatives than the FTFP (First Past the Post) currently used to elect our representatives both Nationally and Locally.

Oh, I didn't know that. Nobody voted for Mr Juncker or Mrs Murkel though

(08 Jun 2016, 3:41 pm)mb134 I've not got a clue how to vote in the Referendum to be honest, both sides just seem to be shouting at each other without giving any real facts.

Part of me wants to vote 'Leave' for change more than anything, however part of me is scared that if we leave, the economy will nosedive.

Both sides seem to be contradicting each other when it comes to the NHS as well, and as this is something that is very important to me, does anyone have any facts they could link?

http://www.theweek.co.uk/eu-referendum

If you vote on instinct, vote leave Cool

(08 Jun 2016, 4:05 pm)NK53 TKT Oh, I didn't know that. Nobody voted for Mr Juncker or Mrs Murkel though

The people of Germany certainly voted for Angela Merkel as she is their elected figurehead much like David Cameron is here in the UK. Merkel has nothing to do with the European Parliament.

As Andreos posted a few posts back, in 2014, Jean-Claude Junker was elected to serve as President of the European Commission although this was the first time an election had been held for the position. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 08 Jun 2016

(08 Jun 2016, 4:24 pm)MurdnunoC The people of Germany certainly voted for Angela Merkel as she is their elected figurehead much like David Cameron is here in the UK. Merkel has nothing to do with the European Parliament.

As Andreos posted a few posts back, in 2014, Jean-Claude Junker was elected to serve as President of the European Commission although this was the first time an election had been held for the position. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014

It must be pointed out that us mere mortals weren't involved in electing Junker.

(08 Jun 2016, 4:14 pm)NK53 TKT http://www.theweek.co.uk/eu-referendum

If you vote on instinct, vote leave Cool

Ta, I'll check them out later on.

I think majority of my friends are voting 'In', and give me 'racist' comments on a daily basis as I show some support for leaving.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 08 Jun 2016

(08 Jun 2016, 3:41 pm)mb134 I've not got a clue how to vote in the Referendum to be honest, both sides just seem to be shouting at each other without giving any real facts.

The brexit NHS references are around TTIP. I'd suggest reading up on TTIP, but the NHS is likely to be excluded anyway. That doesn't stop, in my opinion, TTIP being a really bad thing for the UK. 

However, if we left, then there's the potential a Tory majority Government could establish a TTIP scheme independently. Labour are opposed to it, and Jeremy Corbyn has vowed to kill such an agreement in Parliament.

On the other hand, John Major, former Tory PM, has put this on record. He reckons "the NHS would be as safe as a pet hamster in the presence of a hungry python if Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Iain Duncan Smith rose to power following Brexit". It speaks volumes, for someone who worked for Mrs Thatcher.

(08 Jun 2016, 5:29 pm)mb134 Ta, I'll check them out later on.

I think majority of my friends are voting 'In', and give me 'racist' comments on a daily basis as I show some support for leaving.

Leaning towards leaving, doesn't mean anyone is a racist. It does my head in to think I am similar to the likes of Farage, Johnson, IDS and Gove, all because I want to leave too.

It all depends on the agenda you believe in. As an example, the RMT are encouraging members to vote to leave - for totally different reasons to those encouraged by UKIP.

(08 Jun 2016, 5:15 pm)Andreos1 It must be pointed out that us mere mortals weren't involved in electing Junker.

But our elected representatives did which, as Adrian eludes, is not entirely different to how cabinet positions (once again, both Nationally and Locally) are decided here in the UK. 

It must also be pointed out that we don't directly elect our heads of state. Lizzie aside, David Cameron is only the elected Member of Parliament for constituency of Witney. It is only by default that he happens to be the Prime Minister as us mere mortals (especially those in the North East) weren't involved in electing him either Wink

Locally, nationally or supranationally - the application of democracy is arguably quite thin.

(08 Jun 2016, 5:33 pm)Adrian The brexit NHS references are around TTIP. I'd suggest reading up on TTIP, but the NHS is likely to be excluded anyway. That doesn't stop, in my opinion, TTIP being a really bad thing for the UK. 

However, if we left, then there's the potential a Tory majority Government could establish a TTIP scheme independently. Labour are opposed to it, and Jeremy Corbyn has vowed to kill such an agreement in Parliament.

On the other hand, John Major, former Tory PM, has put this on record. He reckons "the NHS would be as safe as a pet hamster in the presence of a hungry python if Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Iain Duncan Smith rose to power following Brexit". It speaks volumes, for someone who worked for Mrs Thatcher.
I saw Corbyns speech about TTIP the other day, and subsequently did some brief reading around it, it most certainly does not sound like a good thing.

One thing that has been on my mind throughout this Referendum campaign is,  will Cameron stay as PM if we vote to leave, especially after supporting the 'Remain' side so strongly? If he doesn't stay on, am I right in thinking a General Election would occur?

(08 Jun 2016, 5:46 pm)mb134 I saw Corbyns speech about TTIP the other day, and subsequently did some brief reading around it, it most certainly does not sound like a good thing.

One thing that has been on my mind throughout this Referendum campaign is,  will Cameron stay as PM if we vote to leave, especially after supporting the 'Remain' side so strongly? If he doesn't stay on, am I right in thinking a General Election would occur?

No - a General Election can only be called every 5 years (due to fixed term Parliaments now), upon dissolution from the Monarch, or as the result of a vote of no confidence. Tories have a majority, so that latter is unlikely to happen or succeed unless called from within. I don't think they'd do that, as I think they'd just knife him like they did to Thatcher. That'd give the party the ability to elect a new leader, and subsequently a Prime Minister - alas the Blair / Brown situation back in 2007.

My opinion is that they'll knife him, if we vote to remain in.

(08 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm)MurdnunoC But our elected representatives did which, as Adrian eludes, is not entirely different to how cabinet positions (once again, both Nationally and Locally) are decided here in the UK. 

It must also be pointed out that we don't directly elect our heads of state. Lizzie aside, David Cameron is only the elected Member of Parliament for constituency of Witney. It is only by default that he happens to be the Prime Minister as us mere mortals (especially those in the North East) weren't involved in electing him either Wink

Locally, nationally or supranationally - the application of democracy is arguably quite thin.

But it is different. The public and party members (of which it is easy to become), are involved at all stages of voting a prospective MP, leader and potential PM. 
Whilst the people of Whitney may have voted Cameron in as their MP, we all know that they did so as they thought it was the right choice. Just as Labour party members chose Corbyn as their leader and potential PM.
We can just as easily vote them out.

Whilst we may have a say in who our MEP is going to be, we know that is the end of the road as far as public involvement and influence goes.

(08 Jun 2016, 5:54 pm)Adrian No - a General Election can only be called every 5 years (due to fixed term Parliaments now), upon dissolution from the Monarch, or as the result of a vote of no confidence. Tories have a majority, so that latter is unlikely to happen or succeed unless called from within. I don't think they'd do that, as I think they'd just knife him like they did to Thatcher. That'd give the party the ability to elect a new leader, and subsequently a Prime Minister - alas the Blair / Brown situation back in 2007.

My opinion is that they'll knife him, if we vote to remain in.

Ah okay. The reason I thought it occurred is that I seem to recall studying something like that happening in History last year, though I can't remember who, when or what happened.

So, if they elect a new leader, no General Election occurs, we just get a new PM?

(08 Jun 2016, 6:11 pm)mb134 Ah okay. The reason I thought it occurred is that I seem to recall studying something like that happening in History last year, though I can't remember who, when or what happened.

So, if they elect a new leader, no General Election occurs, we just get a new PM?

James Callaghan in 1979(?) most likely? Labour minority Government at the time.

Yes - just a new PM.

(08 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm)Andreos1 But it is different. The public and party members (of which it is easy to become), are involved at all stages of voting a prospective MP, leader and potential PM. 
Whilst the people of Whitney may have voted Cameron in as their MP, we all know that they did so as they thought it was the right choice. Just as Labour party members chose Corbyn as their leader and potential PM.

Whilst we may have a say in who our MEP is going to be, we know that is the end of the road as far as public involvement and influence goes.

Going over the same ground here, but it's going to be a matter of opinion. I've absolutely no influence who Witney Conservatives and the constituents select and elect as their MP, nor do I have any say over Cameron becoming the Prime Minister as a result of his party gaining a Commons majority. 

The same as a Conservative party member has no influence over Labour elects as their leader. They can't join, become a supporter or affiliate to the Labour Party, under chapter 2 of the rule book.

Like I say though, it's a matter of opinion.

(08 Jun 2016, 6:21 pm)Adrian James Callaghan in 1979(?) most likely? Labour minority Government at the time.

Yes - just a new PM.

We only studied 1906 (but had to learn a bit before as background) until Attlee, a quick flick through Wikipedia suggests it could have been MacDonald (1924) or Baldwin (1923-24), though I'm really not sure.

(08 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm)Andreos1 But it is different. The public and party members (of which it is easy to become), are involved at all stages of voting a prospective MP, leader and potential PM. 

Glad you bring up Corbyn and the Labour Leadership election here as, in my opinion, it exemplifies the lack of public and party involvement in choosing a party leader (and potential PM) due to the politicking of those in the Parliamentary Labour Party.

While Corbyn has the overwhelming support of party members, he certainly did not have the support of those responsible of putting him on the ballot paper. If the PLP didn't underestimate his popularity, with certain MP's nominating him despite having no intention of backing him, it's doubtful he would have made it as we've heard from the likes of Margaret Beckett and such. 

Party politics aside, this has a direct effect on the electorate as the will of the party is not reflected in its leader, or potentially, the PM. If Labour happens to win the next General Election, one can argue Corbyn's assention is accidental win due the nature of his appointment. If he ousted before then due to a vote of no confidence by the PLP, one can argue that his dismissal is against the will of party members and therefore undemocratic.

Either way, his position is dependant on the few and not the many.