North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 24 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 6:57 am)MrFozz Even though I voted to leave, I never saw that result coming, neither did Big Nige it seems...I saw somewhere that he actually conceded before the count even started...

Interesting times ahead...What I want to know now...

1. Where does this leave David Cameron and the government in general? A few political pundits said Cameron would end up walking if he was defeated in this

2. What does it mean for the United Kingdom? The fish wife in charge North of the Border said Brexit could stir enough of a voice for another referendum, Northern Ireland also voted to Remain, could this be the start of Irish Re-Unification or some kind of Union with Scotland away from the UK

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Should you not be telling us the answers to those questions, as a leave voter? Smile

As someone that didn't want to even think about the consequences of leaving, I really have no answer on either point.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 24 Jun 2016

This is currently the best video on Facebook!

"If you wannabe Prime Minister, you better get with my friends"

https://www.facebook.com/skynews/videos/1362672097080717/

some reason it isn't going straight to the video, so you'll have to scroll down

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - S813 FVK - 24 Jun 2016

Haha that's great - Sky News have done similar things before regarding the Scottish Referendum and election last year.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - cbma06 - 24 Jun 2016

When Britain joined the EU, there were conditions that had to be met, couple of which affected the north east was to close the shipbuilding down so more ships could be built in other EU countries, also give up on the fishing Industry in the North Sea to other EU countries on other side of the north sea, and set quotas of very small amount of fish to be caught by Britain, while Spain with there massive trawlers came up and caught a huge catch day after day. another note was Nissan, there get millions and millions of government money per year just to stay in Britain, couple of years ago, Nissan announced cut backs on the work force and the government give Nissan 10 Million and all of a sudden Nissan was hiring again, Nissan should go, and the money there were getting should be used to start building and manufacturing again by Britain, since joining the EU, Britain stopped making anything and imported almost everything. hopefully when getting out of the EU (will take about 10 years to do) buses will last longer in public service without the EU dictating how long the buses are on the road before there get withdrawn and there be no longer euro5, euro6 etc.....

If Britain voted for remain then Turkey which are to become part of the EU would be able to walk into Britain free and start claiming benefits etc.... and sent the money home to the families in Turkey etc...

(24 Jun 2016, 7:27 pm)cbma06 When Britain joined the EU, there were conditions that had to be met, couple of which affected the north east was to close the shipbuilding down so more ships could be built in other EU countries, also give up on the fishing Industry in the North Sea to other EU countries on other side of the north sea, and set quotas of very small amount of fish to be caught by Britain, while Spain with there massive trawlers  came up and caught a huge catch day after day. another note was Nissan, there get millions and millions of government money per year just to stay in Britain, couple of years ago, Nissan announced cut backs on the work force and the government give Nissan 10 Million and all of a sudden Nissan was hiring again, Nissan should go, and the money there were getting should be used to start building and manufacturing again by Britain, since joining the EU, Britain stopped making anything and imported almost everything. hopefully when getting out of the EU (will take about 10 years to do) buses will last longer in public service without the EU dictating how long the buses are on the road before there get withdrawn and there be no longer euro5, euro6 etc.....

If Britain voted for remain then Turkey which are to become part of the EU would be able to walk into Britain free and start claiming benefits etc.... and sent the money home to the families in Turkey etc...

You think that Nissan, which employs about 7,500 people in the North East, should go? Wow. I mean whichever side of the debate you're on, that's one heck of a statement to make. Out of interest, how do you propose to create 7,500 proper full time posts to replace them?

On Turkey. They're a candidate yes, but it's unlikely to happen any time soon. If one country exercises the right to veto, then they won't be accepted. Can you honestly see Cyprus not using it's veto? Not to mention that they've only closed one of thirty-five chapters...

Politics (and other political stuff) - cbma06 - 24 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 7:56 pm)Adrian You think that Nissan, which employs about 7,500 people in the North East, should go? Wow. I mean whichever side of the debate you're on, that's one heck of a statement to make. Out of interest, how do you propose to create 7,500 proper full time posts to replace them?

On Turkey. They're a candidate yes, but it's unlikely to happen any time soon. If one country exercises the right to veto, then they won't be accepted. Can you honestly see Cyprus not using it's veto? Not to mention that they've only closed one of thirty-five chapters...

Not getting into a debate with ya, but why should britain pay millions of pounds to Nissan every year to keep bailing them out,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(24 Jun 2016, 8:30 pm)cbma06 Not getting into a debate with ya, but why should britain pay millions of pounds to Nissan every year to keep bailing them out,

When did this bailout happen? How many millions did we pay? Genuinely interested, that's all.

Nissan leaving Washington would be catastrophic, not only for the 7,500 employees at the plant, but for the supply chain right across the region.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - R852 PRG - 24 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 8:30 pm)cbma06 Not getting into a debate with ya, but why should britain pay millions of pounds to Nissan every year to keep bailing them out,

So you think 7,500 people should be made redundant, just so millions of pounds can be saved? Alright. That'll be the last nail in the coffin for a region that already suffers from lots of unemployment.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Jamie M - 24 Jun 2016

I feel Nissan will leave, not be kicked out. It's a European factory and was designed to bypass all sorts of regulations which they no longer can bypass and have access to a huge labour force. I feel it's going to end up moving itself to Marseille or which ever municipal will subsidise costs the most to have it.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - BusLoverMum - 24 Jun 2016

£10,000,000 to secure British jobs in an area where they're needed is peanuts compared with what's been wiped off the value of our currency, today.

How much do you think benefits and retraining for 7500 workers is likely to cost? What about the loss of revenue if a massive company like Nissan moves all of it's UK production to continental Europe? It's not just direct costs - many Nissan workers are reasonably well paid for their specific skills. People who work for them stay working for them, on the whole. Their buying power isn't going to be the same if they end up signing on long term or pulling pints. any other businesses in the NE will suffer as a result of that, alongside Nissan's UK suppliers.

So 10 Million might sound like a lot of money, but it's what would generally be regarded as a very good investment rather than money merely given away.

(24 Jun 2016, 9:42 pm)BusLoverMum So 10 Million might sound like a lot of money, but it's what would generally be regarded as a very good investment rather than money merely given away.

Ahh thanks Smile I assume this was the regional growth fund *grant*, for the Nissan Leaf?

A very welcome grant to our region, and a boost for the largest employer up here by some way. The economic benefits are of course huge, and indirectly benefits most of us.

Politics (and other political stuff) - cbma06 - 24 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 9:42 pm)BusLoverMum £10,000,000 to secure British jobs in an area where they're needed is peanuts compared with what's been wiped off the value of our currency, today.

How much do you think benefits and retraining for 7500 workers is likely to cost? What about the loss of revenue if a massive company like Nissan moves all of it's UK production to continental Europe? It's not just direct costs - many Nissan workers are reasonably well paid for their specific skills. People who work for them stay working for them, on the whole. Their buying power isn't going to be the same if they end up signing on long term or pulling pints. any other businesses in the NE will suffer as a result of that, alongside Nissan's UK suppliers.

So 10 Million might sound like a lot of money, but it's what would generally be regarded as a very good investment rather than money merely given away.

What about the loss of ship building industry and the suppliers when Britain joined the EU and the loss of jobs in the fishing industry, and other mass jobs across Britain etc....

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - BusLoverMum - 24 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 10:29 pm)cbma06 What about the loss of ship building industry and the suppliers when Britain joined the EU and the loss of jobs in the fishing industry, and other mass jobs across Britain etc....

Bad and sad decisions, a long time in the past. I think you can count the Nissan investment as learning from mistakes. If we didn't learn from mistakes, then we would have been in even more trouble long time past.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 25 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 9:00 pm)Jamie M I feel Nissan will leave, not be kicked out. It's a European factory and was designed to bypass all sorts of regulations which they no longer can bypass and have access to a huge labour force. I feel it's going to end up moving itself to Marseille or which ever municipal will subsidise costs the most to have it.
Renault and wanted to move the most productive plant in Europe to France for years.
Nissan (to their credit), have held out.
The drop in the value of the pound, will actually help their exports.

(24 Jun 2016, 10:39 pm)BusLoverMum Bad and sad decisions, a long time in the past. I think you can count the Nissan investment as learning from mistakes. If we didn't learn from mistakes, then we would have been in even more trouble long time past.

I dread to think what would have happened if Nissan hadn't arrived in the region.
Granted it and it's suppliers only recruited a fraction of the numbers made redundant from shipyards and pits, but it was still a significant number.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 27 Jun 2016

I wonder if the likes of Margaret Hodge have ever spoken to the party members who voted Corbyn as leader and listened to what they want?
Or has she just taken this opportunity to spit her dummy out and try and get her own preferred party leader in? 

Needless to say, Laura Kuensberg (sp?) is appearing to be loving it all.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 27 Jun 2016

(27 Jun 2016, 8:24 am)Andreos1 I wonder if the likes of Margaret Hodge have ever spoken to the party members who voted Corbyn as leader and listened to what they want?
Or has she just taken this opportunity to spit her dummy out and try and get her own preferred party leader in? 

My MP hasn't, and she's just resigned too. She actually told the CLP (City of Durham) that she was committed to working with him, so I'm not sure what's changed.

What if she and others get a leadership election which they so desire, and then they don't like the new leader? Toys out the pram again, like a petulant child?

(27 Jun 2016, 12:31 pm)Adrian My MP hasn't, and she's just resigned too. She actually told the CLP (City of Durham) that she was committed to working with him, so I'm not sure what's changed.

What if she and others get a leadership election which they so desire, and then they don't like the new leader? Toys out the pram again, like a petulant child?

Pat Glass was interviewed earlier and although I can't remember the exact quote, she referred to the need for the party to support the person that had been democratically elected.

Totally agree about the throwing the toys out of the line comment, if they end up with a leader that they don't like.
For all the people standing aside, there will be others wanting to take their place.

If party members are asked to vote again, the support he has amongst them is likely to mean he win again.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 27 Jun 2016

(27 Jun 2016, 1:14 pm)Andreos1 Pat Glass was interviewed earlier and although I can't remember the exact quote, she referred to the need for the party to support the person that had been democratically elected.

Totally agree about the throwing the toys out of the line comment, if they end up with a leader that they don't like.
For all the people standing aside, there will be others wanting to take their place.

If party members are asked to vote again, the support he has amongst them is likely to mean he win again.

It's right though. They're not in the real world. Members elected him with the largest mandate ever, and the PLP think they're in a better place than members to elect the party leader.

Democracy can't only be applied when it suits.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 27 Jun 2016

(27 Jun 2016, 8:24 am)Andreos1 I wonder if the likes of Margaret Hodge have ever spoken to the party members who voted Corbyn as leader and listened to what they want?

Nearly [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Laura Kuenssberg

(27 Jun 2016, 3:51 pm)Adrian It's right though. They're not in the real world. Members elected him with the largest mandate ever, and the PLP think they're in a better place than members to elect the party leader.

Democracy can't only be applied when it suits.

Dennis Skinner appears to have shown the former shadow cabinet what he thinks of them.
There's clips doing the rounds of him shaking Corbyn's hand, before flipping the V's at those standing in the corner.

(27 Jun 2016, 4:09 pm)MrFozz Nearly [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Laura Kuenssberg

Copy and pasting is a wonderful thing Fozz Wink