North East Buses
Politics (and other political stuff) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Politics (and other political stuff) (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - LeeCalder - 20 Apr 2017

I sincerely hope someone manages to knock Kevan Jones off his rather large high-horse in North Durham, he's as much use as a handbrake on a canoe. He's held the seat since 2001, and always wins by a large majority.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 20 Apr 2017

(19 Apr 2017, 9:22 pm)Andreos1 You need a good campaign manager, who can communicate and pass on your message clearly.
Maybe even smearing the opposition.
Or what about this for a smear

The Budget of Fozz, along the lines of Ali G, the member for Staines

https://youtu.be/HVfw9U02GB8

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 20 Apr 2017

(19 Apr 2017, 6:20 pm)Adrian I would never discourage anyone from standing, but Easington would be a task beyond most. It has been a Labour stronghold for years, and the current majority is almost 15,000 votes...
Yeah, Easington is probably out the question, one of the safest seats in the country, am I correct...

Thougb Bishop Auckland is not so safe, one opinion poll I seen predicts the Tories to gain from Labour

When it comes to wanting to stand, with having to put 500 notes down for a deposit, that money have to be from my own pocket or I could I raise using something like Just Giving or a similar kind of fundraising site...

I reckon I have some good ideas, just need to be able to word it right to put my idea out there

(20 Apr 2017, 5:43 am)LeeCalder I sincerely hope someone manages to knock Kevan Jones off his rather large high-horse in North Durham, he's as much use as a handbrake on a canoe. He's held the seat since 2001, and always wins by a large majority.
Or as effective as a fart in a force 10 gale as I like to say

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 27 Apr 2017

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/04/26/watch-as-a-factory-worker-being-talked-at-by-hapless-theresa-may-is-revealed-to-be-wearing-ear-plugs/

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Chris - 28 Apr 2017

(27 Apr 2017, 7:32 pm)Andreos1 https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/04/26/watch-as-a-factory-worker-being-talked-at-by-hapless-theresa-may-is-revealed-to-be-wearing-ear-plugs/

Outstanding.

At least if the earplugs are strong and stable he won't have to listen to her...

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 12 May 2017

https://twitter.com/EastDurhamTrust/status/862604160675581954

I caught this last night on Radio Newcastle. A pretty sad state of affairs.
Local bus transport gets a kicking too.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 21 May 2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39949130

A BBC perspective of Thatcher, courtesy of an interview in Consett Bus Station and other various places.
The ignorance is astonishing.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 30 May 2017

I'm surprised how quiet this thread is in the run up the General Election.
Particularly after the discussion we had around Brexit and the US elections.

Anyway, trying to stimulate discussion...
Any thoughts on www.schoolcuts.org.uk?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Chris - 31 May 2017

(30 May 2017, 9:02 pm)Andreos1 I'm surprised how quiet this thread is in the run up the General Election.

That school cuts website is on my ever increasing list of things to look at.  Never had the chance to yet.

Like buses, my interest in politics far exceeds my knowledge.  I particularly look forward to Adrian's contributions in this thread.

What's fascinated me is the way both campaigns appear to have been run.  Out of the 2 main parties, one party has pushed their manifesto as an offer of hope and promise; whilst the other concentrates on soundbites and smears.  'Vote for us and we'll cost it later' is the impression I get.

What's also been apparent to me is the latent bias of the mainstream media.  Including, shamefully, the BBC; whose reporting I used to hold in the highest regard.  A look at who owns our mainstream media, and the pledges on leveson 2 in one party's manifesto, reveals why.  As an example, today's newspaper headlines major in on Jeremy Corbyn needing to look up the figure that he didn't know off the top of his head.  Imagine that - a politician attempting to give an honest answer instead of guessing, and getting lampooned for it!  Diane Abbott has had similar treatment.  But when Theresa May forgets where she is, or Phillip Hammond knocks £20b off the cost of HS2, or Michael Fallon's lies reduce Robert Peston to banging his head on his desk - it's foot notes at best.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 31 May 2017

(31 May 2017, 12:05 pm)Chris That school cuts website is on my ever increasing list of things to look at.  Never had the chance to yet.

Like buses, my interest in politics far exceeds my knowledge.  I particularly look forward to Adrian's contributions in this thread.

What's fascinated me is the way both campaigns appear to have been run.  Out of the 2 main parties, one party has pushed their manifesto as an offer of hope and promise; whilst the other concentrates on soundbites and smears.  'Vote for us and we'll cost it later' is the impression I get.

What's also been apparent to me is the latent bias of the mainstream media.  Including, shamefully, the BBC; whose reporting I used to hold in the highest regard.  A look at who owns our mainstream media, and the pledges on leveson 2 in one party's manifesto, reveals why.  As an example, today's newspaper headlines major in on Jeremy Corbyn needing to look up the figure that he didn't know off the top of his head.  Imagine that - a politician attempting to give an honest answer instead of guessing, and getting lampooned for it!  Diane Abbott has had similar treatment.  But when Theresa May forgets where she is, or Phillip Hammond knocks £20b off the cost of HS2, or Michael Fallon's lies reduce Robert Peston to banging his head on his desk - it's foot notes at best.

It's interesting you mention that. Haven't long had a discussion with the other half about the same thing.

Coincidentaly, this has just appeared on my twitter feed.
https://twitter.com/LabourLeft/status/869897883117662212

Corbyn has announced he is going to go to Cambridge tonight. Will it be Rudd or May for the other side?

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 31 May 2017

Talking of MP's, Bridget Phillipson knocked on my door today as part of her Labour campaign.

I didn't answer the door so didn't have a chance to talk to her.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 31 May 2017

(30 May 2017, 9:02 pm)Andreos1 I'm surprised how quiet this thread is in the run up the General Election.

Not been on the forum a lot in general as of late! Got quite a lot on with the General Election, as I'm working with a few social media teams on that. We usually get a break after the locals too.  Smile

(31 May 2017, 12:05 pm)Chris That school cuts website is on my ever increasing list of things to look at.  Never had the chance to yet.

What's also been apparent to me is the latent bias of the mainstream media.  Including, shamefully, the BBC; whose reporting I used to hold in the highest regard.  A look at who owns our mainstream media, and the pledges on leveson 2 in one party's manifesto, reveals why.  As an example, today's newspaper headlines major in on Jeremy Corbyn needing to look up the figure that he didn't know off the top of his head.  Imagine that - a politician attempting to give an honest answer instead of guessing, and getting lampooned for it!  Diane Abbott has had similar treatment.  But when Theresa May forgets where she is, or Phillip Hammond knocks £20b off the cost of HS2, or Michael Fallon's lies reduce Robert Peston to banging his head on his desk - it's foot notes at best.

It is well worth having a look at the School Cuts website. A very comprehensive resource, and one we've actively used in local campaigning. Placards showing the cuts for a specific school, outside of the school gates. Unbelievably, we've managed to upset the odd headteacher in the process. You'd think they'd be more outraged by the cuts themselves, rather than those pointing them out...!

Back in 2010, the Coalition made a big thing about 'protecting' school funding in England. It wasn't so much investing in it, but protecting it from the savage cuts seen elsewhere in the public sector. Of course, that didn't stop many of our local authority schools becoming academies. Whilst that in itself was billed as a choice, because of the additional powers academies gained, it would be incredibly difficult to remain a sole LEA school with academies around you. Academies are ran as businesses, and can compete with others for student numbers - the whole concept of catchment areas is out the window... but the LEA schools can't do this, so would be lake of sharks with the arms and legs tied together.

Anyhow, since 2015, the Tories have went after schools and the education budget. They've slashed £2.8 billion since 2015, and between now and 2022, want to cut a further £8.9 billion. They reckon 93% will lose out with the new funding formula. Budget needs of schools continue to grow and grow, in order to provide even what we'd consider a 'basic' education, these cuts are going to give headteachers a huge problem - remember a headteacher is a MD of an academy, so is being expected to act like one. 

Around 60% of schools already running at a deficit, so I guess the question is what happens to them? They'll of course be expected to reduce their budget, but how can you possibly do this without impacting on education? Class sizes will continue to grow to astronomic levels, and the standard of teaching will drop. That is not because of the teachers ability, but because they can't work miracles.

(31 May 2017, 12:57 pm)Andreos1 It's interesting you mention that. Haven't long had a discussion with the other half about the same thing.

Coincidentaly, this has just appeared on my twitter feed.
https://twitter.com/LabourLeft/status/869897883117662212

Corbyn has announced he is going to go to Cambridge tonight. Will it be Rudd or May for the other side?

I thought Corbyn was good tonight, and I think it was a good move for him to go to it. The whole panel have made it look ridiculous that Theresa May did not attend, and quite rightly so. Its just a shame that the BBC person was such a poor chair of the debate!

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Andreos1 - 01 Jun 2017

I find the Tory policy on schools quite unsettling.

After business and charity have been given property and the fields for nothing (previously owned by the LA), often the schools are then selling off land to housing companies.

Making teachers redundant isn't something from a dystopian future either.
My eldest's school (an academy) has had teachers on fixed term contracts and at the end of the contract, they're being replaced by less experienced, cheaper staff. On similar fixed term contracts.
A tory government is only going to make this situation even worse.

Two interesting articles regarding the behaviour of Tories. One quite local.
http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/three-minutes-of-nothing-herald-reporter-reflects-on-pm-encounter/story-30363961-detail/story.html#comments

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/31/controversial-blogposts-tory-party-candidate-absolutely-shocking

There is also a story kicking around regarding Amber Rudd. Apparently her father died on Monday. Why didn't May stand in or at least find an alternative?

I find the whole thing astonishing.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Chris - 01 Jun 2017

(31 May 2017, 8:54 pm)Adrian I thought Corbyn was good tonight, and I think it was a good move for him to go to it. The whole panel have made it look ridiculous that Theresa May did not attend, and quite rightly so. Its just a shame that the BBC person was such a poor chair of the debate!

I thought Corbyn was good both last night and on the Paxman debate.  I thought Caroline Lucas also did well.  I'm assuming the 'last minute' change of heart wasn't that last minute, I think he played a blinder there.  Plus, who'd have thought Tim Farron would be king of the quips?  

In the wider media, Barry Gardiner (and I'd never heard of him before) has also been fantastic.

In terms of Amber Rudd and her father, I'm with Andreos on this one - I think it's shocking Theresa May didn't attend.

I think her not participating was her least worst option though.  Her being there would just highlight her cold, robotic persona.  And she just hasn't got the policies.

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - MrFozz - 01 Jun 2017

I have a dilemma...

My party aren't represented in Bishop Auckland, I aint interestsd in the candidates on the ballot...

Up to now it seems we have Labour, Tory, Lib Dem, UKIP and the BNP...

I dont really want to vote UKIP or the BNP and I aint interested in voting tactically, voting for one to keep another out, what is the best way forward, do I

1...Spoil my ballot paper
2...Begrudginly Vote for the Lib Dems...There a joke IMO, but I could never justify voting for UKIP or the BNP
3...Boycott the election

No.3 is not really an option to me, I believe in my democratic right to vote and have done so at every election I have been eligible to vote in

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - mb134 - 01 Jun 2017

(01 Jun 2017, 12:02 pm)MrFozz I have a dilemma...

My party aren't represented in Bishop Auckland, I aint interestsd in the candidates on the ballot...

I dont really want to vote UKIP or the BNP and I aint interested in voting tactically, voting for one to keep another out, what is the best way forward, do I

2...Begrudginly Vote for the Lib Dems...There a joke IMO, but I  could never justify voting for UKIP or the BNP
3...Boycott the election

No.3 is not really an option to me, I believe in my democratic right to vote and have done so at every election I have been eligible to vote in

Just out of interest, why don't you view Labour as an option to vote for?

Done nothing for me personally and feels like my opinion is ignored or took no notice of, I dont like Jeremy Corbyn, more of a personal opinion about him rather than the Labour Party in General.

Whereas, in the North East Party, opinion is valued, no party line to tow as such either

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Adrian - 01 Jun 2017

(01 Jun 2017, 11:37 am)Chris I thought Corbyn was good both last night and on the Paxman debate.  I thought Caroline Lucas also did well.  I'm assuming the 'last minute' change of heart wasn't that last minute, I think he played a blinder there.  Plus, who'd have thought Tim Farron would be king of the quips?  

In the wider media, Barry Gardiner (and I'd never heard of him before) has also been fantastic.

In terms of Amber Rudd and her father, I'm with Andreos on this one - I think it's shocking Theresa May didn't attend.

I think her not participating was her least worst option though.  Her being there would just highlight her cold, robotic persona.  And she just hasn't got the policies.

Barry Gardiner is becoming a bit of a cult hero within Labour Party activism. His ability to not take any sh*t whatsoever is fantastic to watch.  Smile

(01 Jun 2017, 12:02 pm)MrFozz I have a dilemma...

2...Begrudginly Vote for the Lib Dems...There a joke IMO, but I  could never justify voting for UKIP or the BNP
3...Boycott the election

Bishop Auckland have no UKIP candidate in the 2017 election, despite taking 17.8% of the vote two years ago. Labour's Helen Goodman is now defending a majority of 3,508, with the 7,015 UKIP votes now up for grabs, if the turnout were to remain the same. 

I'm biased, so I'm always going to say to vote Labour, but if you can't pick someone that stands out then I think you need to vote tactically. Ask yourself if you'd rather give the Tories an extra seat, at the expense of Labour losing one.

(01 Jun 2017, 8:01 pm)Adrian Barry Gardiner is becoming a bit of a cult hero within Labour Party activism. His ability to not take any sh*t whatsoever is fantastic to watch.  Smile

Bishop Auckland have no UKIP candidate in the 2017 election, despite taking 17.8% of the vote two years ago. Labour's Helen Goodman is now defending a majority of 3,508, with the 7,015 UKIP votes now up for grabs, if the turnout were to remain the same. 

I'm biased, so I'm always going to say to vote Labour, but if you can't pick someone that stands out then I think you need to vote tactically. Ask yourself if you'd rather give the Tories an extra seat, at the expense of Labour losing one.

Dont see Labour losing Bishop tbh...Though I have seen an opinion poll somewhere suggesting The Tories could take it.

Tactical Voting, I dont really understand it to be honest, my idea of it, in an idiots guide, is voting for one to keep another out.

I have been told to vote for the weakest/less likely candidate on the ballot, which, if they are infact standing, would be Adam Walker of the BNP and I would never, ever vote for that clown, so Lib Dem, in my opinion would be the next weakest candidate

RE: Politics (and other political stuff) - Michael - 08 Jun 2017

It's election day!

Expect the Tories to still be in tomorrow............... finish work at 1pm come home to vote.... to go back at 6pm for a staff meeting. -.-