North East Buses
Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes (/showthread.php?tid=1031)

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Jimmi - 23 Sep 2014

Jimmi certainly didn't paint a pretty picture of Arriva's services on Teesside today - but I'm not one to tar the company with the same brush due to bad experiences on one specific service.

When I have had to use services 23/24 outside of Tyne & Wear in the past, I've had no major issues. By and large, the services have been on time. My experiences with other Arriva services are limited, but are similar to services 23/24. Time-keeping did seem to be an issue on the Quorum Express, though this has seemed to improve after umpteen amount of changes (which I still hear passengers complaining about).
I've always found the attitude of most drivers to be unpleasant, though this is replicated across all three operators. I do feel that bus drivers are under-paid for what they have to go through on a day-to-day basis, which could in part explain the poor customer service given by these drivers.
Branding is a major issue for Arriva at the moment, now more than ever as there is a growing 'hierarchy' of services: Sapphire > MAX > Normal. The mis-allocation of buses really does need to be nipped in the bud.
Of course, we all know my thoughts and feelings on the lack of knowledge some drivers have of the ticketing options in Tyne & Wear, and I needn't elaborate, as I've done that one to death!
It was more County Durham where I had the problems today, and the 21 that was late this morning usually arrives in Aycliffe early and we all know the reliability of the X1 is often poor, the only problem I had on Teesside was the large amount of traffic service 5 got stuck in and was heavily loaded with school children.

Most times I've used the 24 in County Durham it has been alright occasionally only a few minutes late, apart from the time the 24 left Peterlee Bus Station 6 MINUTES EARLY!!! which meant I had to sit in Peterlee Bus Station in the freezing cold for over 30 minutes. 

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Tom - 23 Sep 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 8:17 pm)aureolin I don't know the area around East Durham much at all, but I'd think anything they're running into Sunderland would perhaps suffer from the same problem as the X2 down Durham Road. 

We know the passenger flow on Durham Road is thick and fast, and also that there's a massive gulf between what you'd see in the figures for the  21 and for the X2. Problem with the X2 though, is that between Pity Me and Eldon Square, there is not a single other Arriva connection in sight. Some 50 minutes of travel time, with god knows how many stops. 

If there were say a few local services in Chester, a few in Gateshead, and the odd connection to Washington? Probably a completely different story.

That being said, it doesn't cater for drivers not knowing the product, and it's a disgrace that this is still being mentioned on here. It must have been at least a year ago since Dan first complained to Arriva. If you're not going to look after your customers, then another operator will be more than willing to.

I'd like to see a Chester-le-Street-Fence Houses-Houghton-Sunderland service.

Peterlee is where the 23/24 do best as I've done the full route before and everyone bar me who got on at the Durham end before Shotton got off at Peterlee and then people got on in Shotton and Peterlee to head to Sunderland.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Dan - 23 Sep 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 8:17 pm)aureolin I don't know the area around East Durham much at all, but I'd think anything they're running into Sunderland would perhaps suffer from the same problem as the X2 down Durham Road. 

We know the passenger flow on Durham Road is thick and fast, and also that there's a massive gulf between what you'd see in the figures for the  21 and for the X2. Problem with the X2 though, is that between Pity Me and Eldon Square, there is not a single other Arriva connection in sight. Some 50 minutes of travel time, with god knows how many stops. 

If there were say a few local services in Chester, a few in Gateshead, and the odd connection to Washington? Probably a completely different story.

That being said, it doesn't cater for drivers not knowing the product, and it's a disgrace that this is still being mentioned on here. It must have been at least a year ago since Dan first complained to Arriva. If you're not going to look after your customers, then another operator will be more than willing to.

You're right, and that's why I've always aspired that Arriva would take the commercial risk to divulge into operating more services in the Sunderland area, but it's probably just a case of finding something that hasn't already been covered by other companies.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there's not much left in Sunderland to do (in my opinion). Stagecoach's cross-city services are all very much similar in the way they operate, and they cover a vast amount of the city, whilst Go North East's services primarily branch off out of Sunderland, covering other areas in the process. As someone who lives in Sunderland, who travels on buses and Metros, I have to say I couldn't be any happier with the service provided. I have the ability to travel (on weekdays) from 5am onwards, all the way through to about 00:15am in the morning, and I have the option of using night buses on top of that. Granted, this isn't the case for everyone in Sunderland, but anyone who lives within close proximity of the City Centre cannot complain.

What's left to take? I know if Malarkey was working for Arriva, he'd find something, but I really am struggling...

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Dan - 23 Sep 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 8:23 pm)Tom I'd like to see a Chester-le-Street-Fence Houses-Houghton-Sunderland service.

It's been done before, in the form of Go North East's 71, but failed due to low usage.

Direct services are appealing to some (mainly those who pay for single fares), but I really do prefer streamlined high frequency services which offer connections. You've gotta think - if Arriva did this, they'd be competing against services 20/35/X35 (14 buses per hour) from Sunderland to Houghton, and then service 71 from Houghton to Chester-le-Street (2 bsues per hour).

I think the main reason that the 71 didn't perform as well as it could have is due to the fact that the frequency of the 20 means that most passengers will opt for that service over others. It's advantageous over the 35 too, of course, due to the shorter journey time.

Go North East has the monopoly there too, as I explored in my post above.

I don't know the area around East Durham much at all, but I'd think anything they're running into Sunderland would perhaps suffer from the same problem as the X2 down Durham Road. 

When I've used the X2 many of the fare paying passengers have day/weekly tickets and either boarded the X1 or has come off another service like I've seen people jump on in Newcastle and Chester-Le-Street and then get on the 7 or other services like the 43. Like you say Arriva don't have anything after Framwellgate Moor apart from the 42 from Brasside and Arnsion Centre although I doubt many have connected from these two services.

Saying about Arriva running services in Chester-Le-Street they did have the 726 from Langley Park to Chester which ran hourly Monday to Saturdays between school runs and it only lasted a few months before being axed because the passenger numbers were pretty much non existent.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - L469 YVK - 23 Sep 2014

In terms of the Quorum Express reliability, I would put the following services in Northumbria I know off for being late in order of unreliability:
53, 52, 43, 45, 54, 44, X20 / 20, 57, 57A, X5, X4, 308, X22, X21, 

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Tom - 23 Sep 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 8:43 pm)DaveyBowyer In terms of the Quorum Express reliability, I would put the following services in Northumbria I know off for being late in order of unreliability:
53, 52, 43, 45, 54, 44, X20 / 20, 57, 57A, X5, X4, 308, X22, X21, 

I've never had any problems with the 52 and I use that quite a bit. 
The X4/X5 had improved a lot, but the 308 is terrible. 

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Michael - 24 Sep 2014

Few more changes on VOSA today

PB0002032/333 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted: Operating between Thropton and Morpeth given service number 14 effective from 16-Nov-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002032/370 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted: Operating between Ashington and Bedlington Station given service number 34 effective from 16-Nov-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002032/428 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted: Operating between Newcastle and Berwick given service number X18 effective from 16-Nov-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002032/429 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted: Operating between Newcastle and Berwick given service number X15 effective from 16-Nov-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002032/488 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Alnwick
Finish Point: Berwick
Via:
Service Number: 418
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 16-NOV-2014
Other Details: Sundays

RE: Arriva bus changes! - cbma06 - 24 Sep 2014

Since I Live in peterlee for quite a number of years, l do see service 23 and 24 being busy, yes sometimes some runs may not be busy and also see either a 23 or 24 with only a few on a certain times of the day, especially when their is a hold up along the route and you get service 23 and service 24 arriving into Sunderland almost together, service 23 and 24 are busy going into Sunderland in the mornings due to workers and not many passengers leaving Sunderland to go towards Peterlee. When I travel on service 24 to Sunderland ive always wanted like an express bus which doesn't hit the Seaham and Dalton-le-Dale section as it is stop and start along their which ends on the journey time for passengers travel from the East Durham communities to Sunderland, most passengers don't board the Arriva due to them having the GNE loyalty tickets. Last week I caught Arriva service 24 from Sunderland at midday, the bus went through Seaham area and 2 service 24's was together going to Sunderland with service 23 10 minutes behind, both service 24's were busy, and when my bus reached Dalton Park a lady got on the bus with Arriva day ticket but suddenly she got off as she was wanting the 24 to Sunderland, she asked the driver where the 24 is because shes been waiting for sometime, the driver replied to her that he didn't know, so we know what happened there as both of the 24's together bypassed Dalton Park.

About the Arriva App, it is terrible since their updated the App, since their have installed new features, their have cut back on data for the live map feed, before you used to follow the bus as it was going along the route and when ive used it, it has been about 95% correct minus the times when the live map doesn't show the bus at all, soon afterwards their updated the App, I was standing on Southway in Peterlee waiting for service 22 to Durham and I used the App to see where the bus is and the live feed icon says that the bus was at Horden traffic lights junction and then 30 seconds later the bus pulled into Southway and when I looked at the feed again it still says the bus was at Horden traffic lights. ive stopped using the App as its not really giving me the information that I needed.

About Arriva bus services in Peterlee, someone saying that their should branch out and do more bus services?, the answer is that you must be joking.

Arriva/United used to do a lot of bus services in the East Durham areas, but somebody from Arriva/United management decided to withdraw the local services and used the out of town arriva services to run through these estates which the local buses used to do which had a knock on effect, since out of town services started running these services then their was no need for the depot in Peterlee, the bus services which didn't go through certain estates fell into the hands of the taxpayers to pay for via DCC which in later GNE won the contract to do, even though Arriva has a few times tried to win the contract to run them via DCC, maybe if Arriva were so desperate to run these services then their should of done what GNE did by running them commercially, but Arriva wanted to run them with funding from the council.

When the announcement was made to close Peterlee depot down, I did ask GNE MD at the time if their was any deal could be struck to purchase the peterlee depot, but GNE was content of still sharing the land at the East Durham community transport  and use Deptford depot for maintaining the peterlee fleet. but would see what the fall out of the bus services in Peterlee from the closure of the depot, since the only bus services that had to run light to Peterlee from Durham was the 26/27 later became 26 and also service 239, since GNE gained service 239 under contract and Arriva diverting service 21/21A away from Thornley and Wheatley Hill replacing service 26 at Wingate area.

Cant see Arriva anytime in the near future doing bus services in Chester-Le-Street unless under DCC contracts, the only jointly services that Arriva and GNE did was service 723 and 230/231, the decision to split the 723 was I think because of reliablilty issues and cheaper by Train, Arriva kept the Durham to Darlington and GNE had the Durham to Newcastle section, and GNE gained service 231 while Arriva gained service 230. Arriva and GNE are not going to step onto each overs toes especially when their are in partnership against QCS.

I would of loved to see Arriva service 23 extended from Sunderland Interchange to Durham via Durham Road, Doxford International,Houghton,Npower then Durham, even if its only Hourly extension, it would help Arriva drivers out by driving all the way to Sunderland by car or van to take over the other driver on service 23, and also pick up Arriva passengers who have got Arriva day, weekly or monthly tickets who have to purchase other operator tickets (GNE) for onward travel to get to work at Npower or Doxford International.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Dan - 24 Sep 2014

Will undertake a proper audit tomorrow, but...

The 23 which departs Sunderland at 0837 came in with 11 passengers, departed with none. X7, off memory, came in with 14.

I've seen no other 23s today, but the 24 I saw at approximately 1030 and 1230. One carried 3 passengers, other carried 4.

Arriva bus changes! - cbma06 - 24 Sep 2014

Should take a audit at Peterlee bus station not Sunderland interchange, true boardings of arriva services is better at Peterlee not all passengers travel all the way to final destination at Sunderland interchange.

Only person who knows the loadings of arriva services to Sunderland is Arriva themselves.

Re: RE: Arriva bus changes! - Dan - 24 Sep 2014

(24 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm)cbma06 Should take a audit at Peterlee bus station not Sunderland interchange, true boardings of arriva services is better at Peterlee not all passengers travel all the way to final destination at Sunderland interchange
But the whole point I'm making here is that the current level of passenger numbers is not sufficient to justify an express service from Sunderland to Peterlee - it's clear that Arriva are wanting to take patronage from Go North East by offering a very similar service, and boils down to competition between the two companies not being to benefit to customers, and rather to get back at the other operator for introducing a competing route elsewhere in the region.

Monitoring the loadings in and out of Sunderland is the only way to determine what the passenger numbers will be like on the X21, as in reality, the only thing that should happen is that further passenger numbers are taken from services 23/24, to boost loadings on the X21...

What I would do after or before Arriva made the changes is:

service 23 same route but diverted to go into Dalton Park replacing service 24 ( or new 22).

service 24 (or new service 22) terminating at Peterlee but then once an hour continue to Sunderland as X21 providing a 30 minute service X21, timetable would have to be adjusted to fit the 30 minute frequency for X21.

so to Sunderland their will be service 23 every 30 minutes going the full route and all stops and their will be a X21 every 30 minutes to Sunderland aswell as express.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Tom - 24 Sep 2014

(24 Sep 2014, 3:18 pm)Dan But the whole point I'm making here is that the current level of passenger numbers is not sufficient to justify an express service from Sunderland to Peterlee - it's clear that Arriva are wanting to take patronage from Go North East by offering a very similar service, and boils down to competition between the two companies not being to benefit to customers, and rather to get back at the other operator for introducing a competing route elsewhere in the region.

Monitoring the loadings in and out of Sunderland is the only way to determine what the passenger numbers will be like on the X21, as in reality, the only thing that should happen is that further passenger numbers are taken from services 23/24, to boost loadings on the X21...

How do you know people from Wingate and Sedgefield won't use the direct link to Sunderland?
You don't know that the X21 will fail. 

(24 Sep 2014, 3:34 pm)Tom How do you know people from Wingate and Sedgefield won't use the direct link to Sunderland?
You don't know that the X21 will fail. 
Who said it was going to fail?

I've asked how long do people think it will take for the X21 to be cut (though this could be expanded to the current 23/24 services too).

At the end of the day, Arriva isn't offering anything different from what Go North East is offering. They could have offered a Sunday service so that they could appeal to that market, but they haven't taken the commercial risk. As such, the X21 shouldn't attract any new passengers, other than Concessionary Pass holders who may just get that bus because it comes at a time more convenient to them (thereby taking a few passengers from the X7). This means that the passengers on services 23/24 will be spread out even further and the loadings in and out of Sunderland will be even more dire than usual.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Jimmi - 24 Sep 2014

But the whole point I'm making here is that the current level of passenger numbers is not sufficient to justify an express service from Sunderland to Peterlee - it's clear that Arriva are wanting to take patronage from Go North East by offering a very similar service, and boils down to competition between the two companies not being to benefit to customers, and rather to get back at the other operator for introducing a competing route elsewhere in the region.

Yes, you do kind of have to view the passenger numbers from Sunderland, but if the 21/X21 is marketed as a through service like the 21/31 & 21A/31A used to be you will have people travelling from further than Peterlee using the service.
The X21 may take some passengers from the 23/24 (well 22/23 from next month) but the people of Wheatley Hill have been wanting a service to Sunderland again, everytime I've used the 24 not many people have done the full route. Passenger numbers and passenger trends will likely to change when the 22 starts going to Sunderland instead of the 24 and the 21/31 used to carry a decent amount of passengers between Wheatley Hill and Sunderland in the past.

(24 Sep 2014, 3:36 pm)Jimmi Yes, you do kind of have to view the passenger numbers from Sunderland, but if the 21/X21 is marketed as a through service like the 21/31 & 21A/31A used to be you will have people travelling from further than Peterlee using the service.
The X21 may take some passengers from the 23/24 (well 22/23 from next month) but the people of Wheatley Hill have been wanting a service to Sunderland again, everytime I've used the 24 not many people have done the full route. Passenger numbers and passenger trends will likely to change when the 22 starts going to Sunderland instead of the 24 and the 21/31 used to carry a decent amount of passengers between Wheatley Hill and Sunderland in the past.
....so why were the 31/31A axed?

I'm assuming the resources were pumped into extra 23/24s, but it suggests to me that they weren't doing something right with those services!

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Jimmi - 24 Sep 2014

What I would do after or before Arriva made the changes is:

service 23 same route but diverted to go into Dalton Park replacing service 24 ( or new 22).
 service 24 (or new service 22) terminating at Peterlee but then once an hour continue to Sunderland as X21 providing a 30 minute service X21, timetable would have to be adjusted to fit the 30 minute frequency for X21.
 so to Sunderland their will be service 23 every 30 minutes going the full route and all stops and their will be a X21 every 30 minutes to Sunderland aswell as express
If you made the 23 any longer than it currently is you'd need to add an extra bus to the PVR.
Also I'm slightly confused would there still be 2 buses an hour from Durham to Hartlepool via Peterlee because when I've seen the 22 heading to Hartlepool has a very good amount of passengers on board.

Since passengers have been campaigning to get a direct service back to Sunderland from Thornley and Wheatley Hill, I wonder how long it will take for passengers from Haswell,Ludworth and Sherburn to start campaigning for a direct service to Sunderland back since their service 24 will be going to Hartlepool instead. Big Grin