North East Buses
Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 07 Feb 2015

Seems the new lights are starting go up on Keel Square.... shouldn't be long before its fully complete, i wonder if they will re-tarmac all of the road again, so it looks smarter, as atm it looks like a terrible temporary one, i can't wait to see it being complete, as its took ages, Looking forward to seen the water feature on and the bus lane finally up and running!

Next step after the road/square  is complete, the VAUX site will get work done to it so it doesn't look a mess, so its ready to be built on by the start of summer. 

Pictures from Skyscrapercity, thanks to all who post their pictures - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1710912&page=10

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 07 Feb 2015

(07 Feb 2015, 6:54 pm)AIG20 New lampposts appear to be going up in Seaburn as well. Hopefully these remodelling roadwork's will see the end of those ugly horrible large and thick lampposts with the two/three globes on top. The new pavements look really nice as well - much better than the red tarmac and grey paving slabs. The new curb stones opposite the Marriot Hotel also look like Granite.

However, I hope they get all of the work done before the summer as Seaburn is an absolute mess at the moment; and the temporary traffic lights are getting really annoying.

I haven't being to Seaburn for a while, i may try and have a pop down soon, last time i was there, they were still doing the path down next to the beach, along with the barriers. 

By pictures though the Seaburn shelter has gone, thank god, as it was horrible, along with the toilets, which were also horrible, hopefully when the new ones get fitted they're kept clean and refurbished when needed.

What they need to do next down Seaburn is sort the old fairground site out.... maybe they could lower the rent to get people to put something on it!#

What i would also do is.. get rid of the Seaburn centre, pullman lodge and just re-build the Seaburn centre, so it looks better. 

(07 Feb 2015, 7:18 pm)AIG20 The fairground is currently being used to store all of the dumpy bags and crates full of cement, dolomite, sand, paving and other materials; as well as all of the broken up tarmac, and so on.

I think those stylish brand new lights in the pedestrianized High Street West/West Street are the ones that are also going up in Seaburn.

Least its being used for something haha

What else are they planning on doing down Seaburn?

Was it to change the road system next to Morrisons? 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 09 Feb 2015

(07 Feb 2015, 9:17 pm)AIG20 Here is the article that was released by Sunderland City Council before the roadwork's began: Smile
http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=9813

Cheers!

I'm having a proper read of the proposals for the plans to scrap the Monkwearmouth one-way system, i think this will be a good idea, although Dame Dorothy Street's traffic lights and the whole road will need re-doing, i think this would work.

As for North Bridge street, not sure.... i still think they'll want the one lane, as the wheatscheaf will need to be altered if it was changed in to a 2 lane road.

The same side of the road is in need of repairs, its terrible.

Still not sure why this wasn't thought of when the wheatsheaf was altered.... typical Sunderland council, do it, take it back up months later....

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 13 Feb 2015

It seems part of the bus lane on st marys is open now.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Malarkey - 13 Feb 2015

Got on the 2 back home from the Stop on Holmeside earlier on this afternoon, and I wouldnt be at all surprised if someone doesnt get knocked over in the near future due to the amount of Buses going along that stretch of Road.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 13 Feb 2015

(13 Feb 2015, 4:37 pm)Malarkey Got on the 2 back home from the Stop on Holmeside earlier on this afternoon, and I wouldnt be at all surprised if someone doesnt get knocked over in the near future due to the amount of Buses going along that stretch of Road.

I used the 20 to go for a short ride between Park Lane and Fawcett St (height of laziness - I know) and someone nearly got knocked over. The young girl was too busy focused on her phone to even go to the bother of looking left and right before crossing the road. The driver had to come to an immediate halt otherwise he would have knocked her over. Thankfully the buses don't go at a great speed here which means that it's unlikely there will be any fatalities, but it won't be long before someone gets injured.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - idiot - 14 Feb 2015

However quite a few drivers exceed the 20 speed limit...

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 15 Feb 2015

(14 Feb 2015, 11:29 pm)idiot However quite a few drivers exceed the 20 speed limit...

They do, something needs to be done, also think it doesnt help that the speed limit for the road isn't displaced... traffic lights near subway etc need updating, the road markings need to be re-painted on the road.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 24 Feb 2015

(14 Feb 2015, 11:29 pm)idiot However quite a few drivers exceed the 20 speed limit...

Holmeside was completely gridlocked about half an hour ago because a driver of the 33 stood outside of The Point and was having issues with a customer (so it seemed from a distance) and there was a van and about six buses behind the 33. As such, none of the buses on the other side could move. Buses heading towards Wilkinsons were backed up as far as Hays Travel. There was no chance of any driver exceeding the 20mph speed limit!

Getting down to Fawcett Street, the driver of my 2/2A was forced to use the stand which Stagecoach's 3 service uses (ie the stop closest to Wilkinsons) because, if he didn't, he would have been blocking the road completely. Matters are made worse by the 8 and 20 laying over here opposed to outside of Mowbray Park. All passengers had to run from the bus stop the 2 is meant to use to the one closest to Wilkinsons.

St. Mary's Way this morning... Gridlocked for half an hour. I cannot believe it took that amount of time to get from the Wheatsheaf to Park Lane. The driver dropped people off outside of the police station in the safest place possible as one woman was already late for work and she was complaining that this was making matters worse as the driver didn't go via John St / Holmeside like they usually do when the traffic is so bad on St. Mary's Way.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 25 Feb 2015

Not Sunderland but Dalton Park

Big-name restaurant chains join £45m Dalton Park expansion – start date set for May

The owners of the Murton-based complex have announced they will welcome Pizza Express and Prezzo to its phase two development, which will also include a Morrisons supermarket, petrol station, hotel, pub and seven-screen Cineworld cinema.

The restaurants will join a drive-thru KFC and a Frankie and Benny’s diner which have already been confirmed as tenants.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/business/big-name-restaurant-chains-join-45m-dalton-park-expansion-start-date-set-for-may-1-7124151

Yes, its happening... work starts May!!!!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 27 Feb 2015

http://m.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/500-homes-on-way-as-sunderland-council-sells-off-land-to-developer-1-7128774

Plans made to clear old Colliery/bus depot site.

There are some historic buildings and engine sheds round there, which may make for interesting photos prior to demolition.

Due to the size of the development, I would suggest some of the money is spent on improving the road infrastructure in the area - particularly around Herrington Burn and Shiney Row.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 27 Feb 2015

(25 Feb 2015, 9:31 am)Michael Not Sunderland but Dalton Park

Big-name restaurant chains join £45m Dalton Park expansion – start date set for May

The owners of the Murton-based complex have announced they will welcome Pizza Express and Prezzo to its phase two development, which will also include a Morrisons supermarket, petrol station, hotel, pub and seven-screen Cineworld cinema.

The restaurants will join a drive-thru KFC and a Frankie and Benny’s diner which have already been confirmed as tenants.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/business/big-name-restaurant-chains-join-45m-dalton-park-expansion-start-date-set-for-may-1-7124151

Yes, its happening... work starts May!!!!
http://www.thejournal.co.uk/business/business-news/dalton-park-leisure-scheme-county-8726973

Image of the completed project.
Looks like the sole bus stop is staying - can't see anything else in the picture which shows an alternative calling point/s.

Wonder if the operators see value in sticking a bus in, that doesn't come from Sunderland or go via Seaham Wink.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - MurdnunoC - 01 Mar 2015

(01 Mar 2015, 8:55 pm)AIG20 I have found a massive Sunderland Council PDF document on the "Seaburn Masterplan":
http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=11091&p=0&fsize=10Mb&ftype=Seaburn%20Masterplan.PDF

On Page 49 & 50 it states that Lowry Road will be widened and the rood between the Morrisions roundabout and Dykelands Road will be reduced in width.  There will also be more bus stops placed on Lowry Road which suggests that more services may use that road such as the E6, instead of only service 99.

Looking at the plans on pages 44-50, I would presume all traffic currently using the sea front will be diverted via Dykelands Road and Lowry Road thus creating a more pedestrianised feel to the area. 

A similar project happened in Whitley Bay which diverted traffic using the old Promenade in font of the Spanish City to new road which cuts behind it. To me, it looks like Sunderland Council are aiming for something similar.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 01 Mar 2015

The current work down Seaburn is really good, i hope they do something with the old fairground area and all the grass area behind it.

Still think they should knock down the Seaburn centre and pullman lodge... then re-build the Seaburn centre with improved facilities.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - idiot - 02 Mar 2015

Does anyone know what the steel structure is for opposite the Pullman and Seaburn Centre?

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 02 Mar 2015

(02 Mar 2015, 12:26 am)idiot Does anyone know what the steel structure is for opposite the Pullman and Seaburn Centre?

It's the Seaburn shelter, it's getting upgraded to a restaurant i think, with the toilets below finally getting a refurbishment, =). 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - idiot - 02 Mar 2015

Thanks Smile

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Malarkey - 20 Mar 2015

Has there been any further information on the New Bridge across the River Wear in Sunderland, as it looked like work has been started on the River Bank right next to the Retail Park on the Enterprise Park, along with the other side of the River at Pallion looking clear to make way for the Bridge.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 20 Mar 2015

(20 Mar 2015, 6:51 pm)Malarkey Has there been any further information on the New Bridge across the River Wear in Sunderland, as it looked like work has been started on the River Bank right next to the Retail Park on the Enterprise Park, along with the other side of the River at Pallion looking clear to make way for the Bridge.

Heard nothing =(