North East Buses
Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Jimmi - 24 Feb 2016

(24 Feb 2016, 7:09 pm)Michael Planning permission has gone in for the Bridges extension:

16/00294/SCR | Request for a Screening Opinion for the development of a standalone retail unit of approximately 4,180 sqm over two floors. | Site Of Crowtree Leisure Centre Crowtree Road Sunderland SR1 3EL
Track
Reference 16/00294/SCR
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Tue 23 Feb 2016
Application Validated Tue 23 Feb 2016
Address Site Of Crowtree Leisure Centre Crowtree Road Sunderland SR1 3EL
Proposal Request for a Screening Opinion for the development of a standalone retail unit of approximately 4,180 sqm over two floors.
Status Current
Appeal Status Unknown
Appeal Decision Not Available
There are 0 cases associated with this application.

There is 1 property associated with this application.

The design: http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/PlanDM/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=978287&PDF=true&content=obj.pdf

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O30GPZBB00Q00

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/online-applications/propertyDetails.do?previousCaseType=Application&previousKeyVal=O30GPZBB00Q00&activeTab=summary&previousCaseNumber=16%2F00294%2FSCR&keyVal=001DFFBBLI000

-------------

Whats really annoying is they haven't designed it like Primark, (where u have to walk through the store to get in to the bridges) they should of, i think shops work better like that.

With the new build i hope New Look gets knocked down and moved, as its rumoured to be NEXT (the shop) moving in to the new build so i hope New Look would move in to the old NEXT shop.

Pees me off that, especially as it's Primark so it's full of people not looking where the hell they are going and you get mothers smashing prams into you, this is providing the security don't tell you that can't come in as you are carrying some Coke from McDonald's (that happened to me!). Why the hell do Primark even have security anyway, the stuff is so cheap that practically no-one is going to shoplift from there.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 24 Feb 2016

(24 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm)Jimmi Pees me off that, especially as it's Primark so it's full of people not looking where the hell they are going and you get mothers smashing prams into you, this is providing the security don't tell you that can't come in as you are carrying some Coke from McDonald's (that happened to me!). Why the hell do Primark even have security anyway, the stuff is so cheap that practically no-one is going to shoplift from there.

You'll be surprised! 

Nothing worse when some women smashes in to your legs with the pushchair!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Jimmi - 24 Feb 2016

(24 Feb 2016, 7:31 pm)Michael You'll be surprised! 

Nothing worse when some women smashes in to your legs with the pushchair!
I'll be honest, I'm not a massive fan of the place, if I get out of the place without wanting to plant someone it's been a success.

New Look could possibly move into Burton as I think it had closed down the last time I was there on my birthday a few weeks back. Disappointing that it sounds like Sunderland isn't going to get any more new shops though.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 24 Feb 2016

(24 Feb 2016, 7:36 pm)Jimmi I'll be honest, I'm not a massive fan of the place, if I get out of the place without wanting to plant someone it's been a success.

New Look could possibly move into Burton as I think it had closed down the last time I was there on my birthday a few weeks back. Disappointing that it sounds like Sunderland isn't going to get any more new shops though.

I'm not either, only stuff i buy from there is my work trousers and shirts.

Blu ink has shut down down to, they could also move in there, i rarely go to Sunderland now because its that crap!, i was hoping to see new shops in Sunderland, doubt that will happen when the council etc are only bothered about profits etc!

(24 Feb 2016, 7:39 pm)Michael I'm not either, only stuff i buy from there is my work trousers and shirts.

Blu ink has shut down down to, they could also move in there, i rarely go to Sunderland now because its that crap!, i was hoping to see new shops in Sunderland, doubt that will happen when the council etc are only bothered about profits etc!

Aye, forgot Blue Inc had closed has well, Sunderland was one of the casualties of at least 60 store closures which also included Eldon Square and Officers Club stores at Hartlepool, South Shields and Stockton. The amount of shops seems to be badly decreasing in Sunderland everytime I visit.

Sunderland is not my go to place for shopping, that's normally either the MetroCentre or Middlesbrough, I go more for the day out than anything.

(24 Feb 2016, 7:49 pm)Jimmi Aye, forgot Blue Inc had closed has well, Sunderland was one of the casualties of at least 60 store closures which also included Eldon Square and Officers Club stores at Hartlepool, South Shields and Stockton. The amount of shops seems to be badly decreasing in Sunderland everytime I visit.

Sunderland is not my go to place for shopping, that's normally either the MetroCentre or Middlesbrough, I go more for the day out than anything.

Its not mine either and i live in Sunderland, much rather go to the Metrocentre or Newcastle.

Shopping as in clothes etc wise i don't, i'll go for the weekly shop though  Tongue

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - BusLoverMum - 24 Feb 2016

(24 Feb 2016, 7:09 pm)Michael Planning permission has gone in for the Bridges extension:

16/00294/SCR | Request for a Screening Opinion for the development of a standalone retail unit of approximately 4,180 sqm over two floors. | Site Of Crowtree Leisure Centre Crowtree Road Sunderland SR1 3EL
Track
Reference 16/00294/SCR
Application Received Tue 23 Feb 2016
Address Site Of Crowtree Leisure Centre Crowtree Road Sunderland SR1 3EL
Proposal Request for a Screening Opinion for the development of a standalone retail unit of approximately 4,180 sqm over two floors.
Status Current
Appeal Status Unknown

The design: http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/PlanDM/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=978287&PDF=true&content=obj.pdf

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O30GPZBB00Q00

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/online-applications/propertyDetails.do?previousCaseType=Application&previousKeyVal=O30GPZBB00Q00&activeTab=summary&previousCaseNumber=16%2F00294%2FSCR&keyVal=001DFFBBLI000

-------------

Whats really annoying is they haven't designed it like Primark, (where u have to walk through the store to get in to the bridges) they should of, i think shops work better like that.

With the new build i hope New Look gets knocked down and moved, as its rumoured to be NEXT (the shop) moving in to the new build so i hope New Look would move in to the old NEXT shop.

Having to walk through Primark is bleeding annoying. By putting that there, they got rid of the level access.

Plus, there's so much polyester in there, it's a wonder people don't get electrocuted as they walk through.

(On the plus side, was glad to see the back of that stinky butcher's shop - that always used to make me heave)

(24 Feb 2016, 7:57 pm)BusLoverMum Having to walk through Primark is bleeding annoying. By putting that there, they got rid of the level access.

Plus, there's so much polyester in there, it's a wonder people don't get electrocuted as they walk through.

(On the plus side, was glad to see the back of that stinky butcher's shop - that always used to make me heave)

Going to be honest and say i can't ever remember that area having level access before Primark, wasn't there a greggs to along with the electric shop?

I remember that butchers, never went in though, i was like 9 at the time though haha

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - BusLoverMum - 24 Feb 2016

(24 Feb 2016, 7:39 pm)Michael I'm not either, only stuff i buy from there is my work trousers and shirts.

I used to quite like Sunderland for its compactness and the fact that it's one of 2 remotely decent shopping places I can get to on one bus. Gone off it now though. Sick of having to queue every time I want a loo with paper, running water and a lack of stinking puddles to wade through. Also sick of freezing my backside off at that bus station.

(24 Feb 2016, 8:01 pm)Michael Going to be honest and say i can't ever remember that area having level access before Primark, wasn't there a greggs to along with the electric shop?

I remember that butchers, never went in though, i was like 9 at the time though haha

It was a slope up to the street.

I think you can name any street in the centre of Sunderland and it has a Greggs.

(24 Feb 2016, 8:04 pm)BusLoverMum It was a slope up to the street.

I think you can name any street in the centre of Sunderland and it has a Greggs.

Think that may be the reason I like heading to Sunderland, you're never too far away from a Greggs!

(24 Feb 2016, 8:02 pm)BusLoverMum I used to quite like Sunderland for its compactness and the fact that it's one of 2 remotely decent shopping places I can get to on one bus. Gone off it now though. Sick of having to queue every time I want a loo with paper, running water and a lack of stinking puddles to wade through. Also sick of freezing my backside off at that bus station.

Park Lane bus station is rubbish its way too open, there was talks many many many years ago about closing certain parts in but nothing come of that (like normal!), expect for a few glass panels....

The city centre has gone down hill so much, its rubbish, why would new shops want to open here?, the council are way to late in doing High Street West, Keel Square and the VAUX site all up!

The next two areas which need doing next are..... Holmeside and Blanford Street.... both horrible, paths are dreadful, seating, lighting etc.... whole lot needs ripping up and re-done.

I'm hoping when work starts on the new train station all of the area around Burger King etc will be done.... btw... when i say start... the way its going it could be in the next 50 years!

Us Sunderland lot like a Greggs sausage roll!

You go any city now and you'll have at least 2 haha

(24 Feb 2016, 8:16 pm)Michael Us Sunderland lot like a Greggs sausage roll!

A fair few places in the North East have a fair few branches whilst other places don't seem to have as many, it's not just Sunderland either, Newcastle and Darlington have a fair few as well.

May be wrong but wasn't Sunderland the first place to have a 24 hour Greggs?

(24 Feb 2016, 8:16 pm)Michael Us Sunderland lot like a Greggs sausage roll!

Aye. Sunderland has 5 or 6 in just a small area of the city, though. 

That's more than it has places selling drinkable coffee. So far I've been fairly satisfied with the winter gardens (6/10) and Nero (8/10). Keep meaning to try that elephant tearoom place, next to m&s.ight try it with motherin law, one day.

(24 Feb 2016, 8:40 pm)BusLoverMum Aye. Sunderland has 5 or 6 in just a small area of the city, though. 

That's more than it has places selling drinkable coffee. So far I've been fairly satisfied with the winter gardens (6/10) and Nero (8/10). Keep meaning to try that elephant tearoom place, next to m&s.ight try it with motherin law, one day.

The Elephant tea room is supposed to be nice.

I like Costa

(24 Feb 2016, 9:03 pm)Michael The Elephant tea room is supposed to be nice.

I like Costa

Costa is blah. And always packed. Starbucks dodge the coffee grounds as much as paying tax - they seem to be all about adding flavourings because their actual coffee aint got none. Esquires is always worryingly empty (unlike the Durham one) but given the time it takes them to serve anyone, there's no wonder. I walked out of there, so have no idea what the actual coffee is like. Debenhams is just crap and they don't even serve any decent or fresh cake to mask the crapness. M&S coffee is probably lovely (if the cafe has any running water, whenever someone flushes the loo) but they can teach Esquires a thing or two about dithering. There's a certain type of person, usually of a certain age, who thinks that dithering and faffing is the one true way. That is who M&S cafes are aimed at. Mr Ditherer will take his green v-neck jumpered self to a table, while Mrs ditherer prevaricates over fruit vs plain scones before selecting coffee cake, instead and having a conversation with the one hassled member of staff making drinks for both the cake and sandwich queues about cake tongs and cutlery and why do so many people always have to be in such a rush with the person serving, in the meantime, carefully arranging sugar cubes and saucers. Mr ditherer will then unfold and refold several napkins, before selecting one and proceeding to eat his plain chicken sandwich with a knife and fork.

I wish they'd open a Pret there. One that big'un and I both like. He likes the apple juice and pret bars.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 25 Feb 2016

Application gone in from B&M to take the last 2 units at Roker retail park.

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=16610&p=0&fsize=9kb&ftype=Application%20for%20Grant%20of%20a%20Premises%20Licence%20-%20Unit%202%20-%203%20Sunderland%20Retail%20Park.PDF

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 29 Feb 2016

Planning application submitted for the demolition of the Mayflower building:

Mayflower Glass Buildings Covered Storage Woodbine Terrace Sunderland SR4 6TE
Track
Reference 16/00320/DEM
Application Received Wed 24 Feb 2016
Application Validated Wed 24 Feb 2016
Address Former Mayflower Glass Buildings Covered Storage Woodbine Terrace Sunderland SR4 6TE
Proposal Demolish buildings to ground level.
Status Current
Appeal Status Unknown

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O344MLBB00Q00

---------------

Sunderland’s new 24-hour police station opens today

A new 24-hour police station opens in Sunderland city centre today.

The front office facility, formerly at Gillbridge Station, has moved to Unit 7, 24 Waterloo Place, near the city’s train station.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/sunderland-s-new-24-hour-police-station-opens-today-1-7754076#ixzz41Xt8difj

-----------------

This is to add an additional two floors to Cassaton House on Fawcett Street, looks like the building is above the post office..... should be good, i hope they do rest of it out.

FUL | Extension to provide two additional floors comprising 35 no. studio apartments for the student letting market and an external roof terrace. | Upper Floors Cassaton House 43 - 49 Fawcett Street Sunderland SR1 1RR
Track
Reference 16/00097/FUL
Alternative Reference PP-04781047
Application Received Wed 27 Jan 2016
Address Upper Floors Cassaton House 43 - 49 Fawcett Street Sunderland SR1 1RR
Proposal Extension to provide two additional floors comprising 35 no. studio apartments for the student letting market and an external roof terrace.
Status Current
Appeal Status Unknown

----------------

One from Roker

Work starts on £30,000 toilet block and changing facilities project at Sunderland seafront

Work is starting on further improvement work at Sunderland seafront.

Changes to the car park at Marine Walk, Roker, will start tomorrow, which are costing £30,000, in preparation for a new toilet block and a new entrance.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/work-starts-on-30-000-toilet-block-and-changing-facilities-project-at-sunderland-seafront-1-7758853#ixzz41YpJQOBS

Shame those horrid ones next to the old tram stop can't be blocked in, they're such a eye sore and horrid!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 01 Mar 2016

Few photos of the bridge development on the Hylton Retail park side...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=981484&page=54

Thanks to denm for the photos.