North East Buses
Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - BusLoverMum - 24 Apr 2016

(24 Apr 2016, 8:31 pm)Ambassador Had my first trip into Sunderland this weekend in an age.

Eye opener to say the least! Never seen so many charity and bargain shops on a main thoroughfare in a City before. Lots of empty units too. Everywhere was so quiet too. Felt like I was in some small town as opposed to a city

The condition of the buildings a lot of the shops are in leaves a lot to be desired, too. Lucky if there's any running water in the M&S - the loos were shut last time I wanted to use them. I'm surprised they could keep the cafe open.

I don't go there often. All it really has that Durham doesn't, which is at all interesting to me is Debenhams (whoop-de doo) and Lush. Durham has loads that Sunderland lacks, though - Fatface, Paperchase, decent coffee every 3rd shop... Can't even use Home bargains etc as Sunderland's USP, because I have all that crap closer to home at Peterlee!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Ambassador - 24 Apr 2016

I suppose it's difficult with Sunderland. Easily commutable to Dalton Park, Newcastle and the Metrocentre. Arguably even the Galleries and Retail Park. Historically less prosperous population etc

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - BusLoverMum - 24 Apr 2016

(24 Apr 2016, 9:51 pm)Ambassador I suppose it's difficult with Sunderland. Easily commutable to Dalton Park, Newcastle and the Metrocentre. Arguably even the Galleries and Retail Park. Historically less prosperous population etc

Aye. It was a little more exciting as a city centre when it did have Joplings (purely for the wonky floors), plus a proper indoor market. And Food Giant!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 26 Apr 2016

Couple of drawings of one of the new buildings for the VAUX site:

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/PlanDM/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=990188&PDF=true&content=obj.pdf

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/PlanDM/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=990187&PDF=true&content=obj.pdf

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 02 May 2016

Keel Square Hotel, Sunderland

http://www.elgplanning.co.uk/consultation/keel_square_sunderland

It seems they want a retail unit in the same area as the hotel as seen on the plans, which is good.

------------

http://www.elgplanning.co.uk/assets/files/556738145c99aeacb940b80262b87de5.pdf - map of the developments.

It looks like they'll knock a few buildings down opposite Primark, which is good because they're in a terrible state.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 05 May 2016

Couple of new photos on the new Bridge:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=981484&page=57

Thanks to denm for the photos.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 17 May 2016

Sweet Tooth delivery is opening 2 stores in Sunderland, one on Searoad in Fulwell and one in Sunderland City Centre opposite Nando's.

http://www.sweettoothdelivery.co.uk/

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 17 May 2016

SSTC3 Consultation

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - stagecoachbusdepot - 17 May 2016

(24 Apr 2016, 10:20 pm)BusLoverMum Aye. It was a little more exciting as a city centre when it did have Joplings (purely for the wonky floors), plus a proper indoor market. And Food Giant!

Food Giant was awesome!  Used to work there many moons ago as a teenager.  Disgrace really that the prime retail space it occupied was left to go to wreck and ruin for years...a bit like Vaux...and Joplings...

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 17 May 2016

(17 May 2016, 6:51 pm)cbma06 SSTC3 Consultation

Cheers for sharing, i didn't know it was out yet.

The plans look all over to me, i can't decide whats, what on them, the one on Trimdon St W & Beach Street Roundabout design is quite confusing.

I like the idea under Alternative Trimdon St W & Beach Street though, want to keep it simple and easy, not over complicate things...

Edit: The ones on the PDF sorry.

On the picture you post, 

We need another alternative route to the new bridge from the town and going through the area's next to the river is a good opportunity for new developments down that area, which tbh i think Sunderland need it.

Pallion and Hylton retail park should also benefit from it.

Timeline for the above project:

Key Milestones

May 2016 Confirmation of final route
2016 Planning approval
2017 Contractor announced
2017 Works start
2019 Open to traffic

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - BusLoverMum - 17 May 2016

(17 May 2016, 10:51 am)Michael Sweet Tooth delivery is opening 2 stores in Sunderland, one on Searoad in Fulwell and one in Sunderland City Centre opposite Nando's.

http://www.sweettoothdelivery.co.uk/

I never see anyone buying anything from the one on Prince Bishops' in Durham.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Jimmi - 17 May 2016

(17 May 2016, 7:32 pm)BusLoverMum I never see anyone buying anything from the one on Prince Bishops' in Durham.

Wouldn't know, most the shops in Durham now don't appeal to me. Didn't even know there was one there!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 17 May 2016

(17 May 2016, 6:51 pm)cbma06 SSTC3 Consultation

It isn't just me that sees this as another new road in Sunderland, that runs parallel to an existing one I hope.

(17 May 2016, 7:52 pm)Andreos1 It isn't just me that sees this as another new road in Sunderland, that runs parallel to an existing one I hope.

It is however this road will lead straight to the new bridge, only having the one junction on it, compared to the 3 on the current route to the new bridge, It also gives an opportunity for a better area down on the riverside allowing new things to happen... which tbh, it needs.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 17 May 2016

(17 May 2016, 7:59 pm)Michael It is however this road will lead straight to the new bridge, only having the one junction on it, compared to the 3 on the current route to the new bridge, It also gives an opportunity for a better area down on the riverside allowing new things to happen... which tbh, it needs.

There must be another, more cost effective way of doing it. Knocking buildings down and condensing the remaining buildings in to a small space between the new road and the river, doesn't seem the most sensible.
The new road from Ryhope is an excellent example of how not to do exactly what they're planning for Deptford/Pallion.

(17 May 2016, 8:46 pm)Andreos1 There must be another, more cost effective way of doing it. Knocking buildings down and condensing the remaining buildings in to a small space between the new road and the river, doesn't seem the most sensible.
The new road from Ryhope is an excellent example of how not to do exactly what they're planning for Deptford/Pallion.

What would you do the current roads, you can't make then duel, due to buildings etc

Half of the buildings are empty anyway

(17 May 2016, 8:52 pm)Michael What would you do the current roads, you can't make then duel, due to buildings etc

Half of the buildings are empty anyway

The maintenance of existing roads (like Pallion New Road and Trimdon Street West), cost. Obviously you have to factor in the construction of the new road and ongoing maintenance too.

Someone else apart from the council must own the Corning's site - judging by the way the road navigates around it.

If the new road was to replace Pallion New Road and Trimdon Street West, instantly the council can save money and raise funds by selling it - but ensuring access is maintained to the few businesses that exist along there.

Other than that, could a new junction could be constructed on the site of the current Queen Alex Bridge roundabout, giving access (and priority) to the road from the new bridge

(17 May 2016, 9:12 pm)Andreos1 The maintenance of existing roads (like Pallion New Road and Trimdon Street West), cost. Obviously you have to factor in the construction of the new road and ongoing maintenance too.

Someone else apart from the council must own the Corning's site - judging by the way the road navigates around it.

If the new road was to replace Pallion New Road and Trimdon Street West, instantly the council can save money and raise funds by selling it - but ensuring access is maintained to the few businesses that exist along there.

Other than that, could a new junction could be constructed on the site of the current Queen Alex Bridge roundabout, giving access (and priority) to the road from the new bridge

Its not really replacing Pallion Road though, its an extra route to the bridge.

There was proposals about a new junction at the current Alexandrea roundabout but I'm not sure if anything came of it.

If that proposal of the new junction ever came back up it could link up to the new road for the bridge.

(17 May 2016, 9:25 pm)Michael Its not really replacing Pallion Road though, its an extra route to the bridge.

There was proposals about a new junction at the current Alexandrea roundabout but I'm not sure if anything came of it.

If that proposal of the new junction ever came back up it could link up to the new road for the bridge.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. This new road is duplicating the existing roads. When really, I can't see the need for the two roads shadowing each other.

If Pallion New Road was sold to developers, it instantly opens up an area for more redevelopment. Assuming some of the empty land around there can be bundled up in the same sale.

Being honest, it is about a year since I last drove along there, so can't remember what is along there. I can vaguely recall a petrol station and bingo hall from when I used the road in the past.

(17 May 2016, 9:47 pm)Andreos1 Yeah, that's what I was saying. This new road is duplicating the existing roads. When really, I can't see the need for the two roads shadowing each other.

If Pallion New Road was sold to developers, it instantly opens up an area for more redevelopment. Assuming some of the empty land around there can be bundled up in the same sale.

Being honest, it is about a year since I last drove along there, so can't remember what is along there. I can vaguely recall a petrol station and bingo hall from when I used the road in the past.

Petrol station isn't there now, infact i only think the bingo hall is down that way, I'm heading down that way tomorrow so i can check.

I think all that area needs doing, maybe these new developments can bring new life in to it.

The retail park at Pallion needs a massive make over