North East Buses
Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Tom - 26 May 2016

Looks like it's opening in the Metrocentre too. Not sure why considering it's the same as Van Mildert.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Jimmi - 26 May 2016

(26 May 2016, 4:00 pm)Tom Looks like it's opening in the Metrocentre too. Not sure why considering it's the same as Van Mildert.
Think Van Mildert is closing in the MetroCentre (both shops).

Thing that now irritates me about the MetroCentre now is that Sports Direct/USC is now in part of the old ILVA/Metro Clearance shop along with B&M, not that fussed about Sports Direct but I do sometimes get some stuff from USC.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Tom - 26 May 2016

(26 May 2016, 4:05 pm)Jimmi Think Van Mildert is closing in the MetroCentre (both shops).

Thing that now irritates me about the MetroCentre now is that Sports Direct/USC is now in part of the old ILVA/Metro Clearance shop along with B&M, not that fussed about Sports Direct but I do sometimes get some stuff from USC.

Only closing for relocation though, no idea where it's going to move though 

Sports Direct is awful but I didn't mind USC had some canny stuff in there like and I've been to the USC section in Metrocentre Retail Park and it isn't great at all.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Jimmi - 26 May 2016

(26 May 2016, 4:06 pm)Tom Only closing for relocation though, no idea where it's going to move though 

Sports Direct is awful but I didn't mind USC had some canny stuff in there like and I've been to the USC section in Metrocentre Retail Park and it isn't great at all.
Yeah the new USC/Sports Direct shop is horrible, don't like the way it's set out and just about every Sports Direct has to be the most miserable looking place ever, looks dark, gloomy and gray as he'll. Then there is the pain in the neck in getting to it, usually means having to get the S1 meaning a 30+ minute detour just for that one shop, didn't bother the last time I went the other week.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 26 May 2016

I'm sure i read the other day that sports direct will be moving to the Metrocentre retail park.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - S813 FVK - 26 May 2016

(26 May 2016, 4:16 pm)Michael I'm sure i read the other day that sports direct will be moving to the Metrocentre retail park.

It already has - on top of 'The Range' on the Blaydon side of ASDA

(26 May 2016, 4:16 pm)Michael I'm sure i read the other day that sports direct will be moving to the Metrocentre retail park.
Already has, moved a few months back. USC moved as well and is now inside the new Sports Direct.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 26 May 2016

(26 May 2016, 4:20 pm)S813 FVK It already has - on top of 'The Range' on the Blaydon side of ASDA

Oh that was quick haha

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 01 Jun 2016

Not Sunderland but Durham:

Durham Shopping Centre Rebranded "The Riverwalk" and Secures Odeon Cinema

http://www.clearbell.com/news/2016/04/08/durham-shopping-centre-rebranded-riverwalk-and-secures-odeon-cinema/

Looking forward to seeing this, it'll be much better than the current one.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 02 Jun 2016

BHS store in Sunderland to close

http://www.sun-fm.com/news/local/2003666/bhs-store-in-sunderland-to-close/

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Tom - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 3:53 pm)Michael BHS store in Sunderland to close

http://www.sun-fm.com/news/local/2003666/bhs-store-in-sunderland-to-close/

All of the them are due to close - shame for the employees.

Wonder what will replace them? I'm sure the Newcastle one will be taken very quickly.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - South Tyne Lad - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 4:02 pm)Tom All of the them are due to close - shame for the employees.

Wonder what will replace them? I'm sure the Newcastle one will be taken very quickly.

Wouldn't be surprised if Primark do yet another extension into the former BHS, Where Primark is now used to be the BHS years ago.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Tom - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 4:13 pm)South Tyne Lad Wouldn't be surprised if Primark do yet another extension into the former BHS, Where Primark is now used to be the BHS years ago.

Could be right - would probably make it one of their biggest stores too!

Might be something like Zara or one of them brands too as we don't have one of them unlike most other cities

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - MurdnunoC - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm)Tom Could be right - would probably make it one of their biggest stores too!

Might be something like Zara or one of them brands too as we don't have one of them unlike most other cities

What about Selfridges?

Or is that just a little bit too exclusive for the likes of Newcastle?

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 02 Jun 2016

Another load of empty shops for the NE, hopefully the one in Sunderland can attarct something decent, as its quite big.

Same as the ones in Newcastle and the Metrocentre.

(02 Jun 2016, 5:25 pm)MurdnunoC What about Selfridges?

Or is that just a little bit too exclusive for the likes of Newcastle?

Aye that's also a good idea! Would be good to have Selfridges here, but would it be big enough? As it's 4 floors but the floor size isn't that big.

(02 Jun 2016, 5:27 pm)Michael Another load of empty shops for the NE, hopefully the one in Sunderland can attarct something decent, as its quite big.

Same as the ones in Newcastle and the Metrocentre.

Newcastle (especially eldon square) has a very low % of empty shops around the main areas I'd say? Metrocentre less so though there are a lot of units with new shops in, Sunderland is also getting better slowly.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - MurdnunoC - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 5:30 pm)Tom Aye that's also a good idea! Would be good to have Selfridges here, but would it be big enough? As it's 4 floors but the floor size isn't that big.

Newcastle (especially eldon square) has a very low % of empty shops around the main areas I'd say? Metrocentre less so though there are a lot of units with new shops in, Sunderland is also getting better slowly.

Metrocentre has quite a few empty shops in the Blue Quadrant. The Platinum Mall, despite its positioning as the most salubrious part of the complex, also contains empty units. If anything, the problem of empty units at the Metrocentre seems more prominent due to their close proximity to one another. In Eldon Square, the problem does not seem as prevalent aside from the bitleading from Next towards Monument which is conveniently undergoing re-development. The area around Pilgram Street and Market Street East is in urgent need of a facelift, however much of that is owned by a couple property developers, eagerly awaiting a program of regeneration within that part of the city.

(02 Jun 2016, 5:45 pm)MurdnunoC Metrocentre has quite a few empty shops in the Blue Quadrant. The Platinum Mall, despite its positioning as the most salubrious part of the complex, also contains empty units. If anything, the problem of empty units at the Metrocentre seems more prominent due to their close proximity to one another. In Eldon Square, the problem does not seem as prevalent aside from the bitleading from Next towards Monument which is conveniently undergoing re-development. The area around Pilgram Street and Market Street East is in urgent need of a facelift, however much of that is owned by a couple property developers, eagerly awaiting a program of regeneration within that part of the city.

Yeah the Green Mall has a lot of empty shops too, and when BHS closes it will make it even worse. The Blue Mall has Wilko opening soon taking a massive unit (Chiquito, the old McDonalds, Spudulike and Tucci) so that will improve it a lot, as well as Primarks extension.

Platinum Mall was meant to have designer shops but it is quite disappointing. Noticed Carluccios is opening there soon. Though on the plus side Van Mildert is moving there soon I saw on their Facebook, and I'm guessing New Look Men are taking the Van Mildert store - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/business/business-news/clothing-retailer-set-open-largest-11407530 . And also it was discussed on here about Flannels opening in Metrocentre so I'm guessing that will be the platinum mall too (possibly old USC?)

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - BusLoverMum - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 4:02 pm)Tom All of the them are due to close - shame for the employees.

it is a shame for the employees (and it will leave another massive hile in the middle of Hartlepool) but I'm really not surprised. The only bit that was a going concern was the homeware and other, more foreward thinking stores already do it just as well, if not better - and cheaper. People would never have been persuaded. (Need to pop in before they close for some new picnicware cups to use in the bathroom)

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - BusLoverMum - 02 Jun 2016

(02 Jun 2016, 4:13 pm)South Tyne Lad Wouldn't be surprised if Primark do yet another extension into the former BHS, Where Primark is now used to be the BHS years ago.

I hadn't noticed that primark and BHS had swapped over. I do remember now that BHS had the corner plot. The spot where BHS is used to be C&A!
2010 Newcastle http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2010/02/10/next-past-and-future/ (post C&A, obvs) There's stuff on the same blog about the swapover of Primark and BHS - it's a shared building, apparently!