North East Buses
Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 22 Jul 2014

Walking through the town, work is speeding ahead on the new road to link the car park near crowtree.

Holmeside is a mess but looks better with no boarded up shops, didn't notice how much space was around that area.

The new square is just the same, loads of work going on.

Edit: Correcting my spellings haha!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 9:22 am)Michael Walking through the town, work ia speeding ahead on the new road to link the car park near crowtree.

Holmeside is a mess but looks better with no boarded up shops, didnt reliase how much space was around that area.

The new square is just the same, loads of work going on.

came across this on the Web:

19 May 2014 25 December 2014 08.00-18.00 C554 High Street West and Crowtree Road outside the Londonderry Public House
ROAD CLOSURE for major highway improvements Millfield Sunderland City Council
Tel: 5611295

end date of 25 December 2014.

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1397

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 10:07 am)cbma06 came across this on the Web:

19 May 2014 25 December 2014 08.00-18.00 C554 High Street West and Crowtree Road outside the Londonderry Public House

Thanks for sharing

It shouldn't take that long to connect the 2 roads up next to the Londonderry.... typical Sunderland council.

I just want the whole VAUX road/square to be done.

Holmeside... those shops couldn't come down quick enough, ill be glad when its all cleared and building will start on the college.

Re: RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 10:07 am)cbma06 came across this on the Web:

Working on Christmas Day..? Oof!

Bridge was completely clear when I past it at 1050 - no traffic at all - quietest I've seen it in weeks.

(22 Jul 2014, 10:13 am)Dan Working on Christmas Day..? Oof!

Bridge was completely clear when I past it at 1050 - no traffic at all - quietest I've seen it in weeks.

That's good, how was the work getting around the area?

Re: RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 10:17 am)Michael That's good, how was the work getting around the area?
I couldn't see much as I was on the train, but there was no cars actually on the bridge at all (which were stationary). Everything was moving and the only cars which were stationary were at the lights.

Should be able to go out and see what it's like later when I hunt down 4968.

(22 Jul 2014, 10:19 am)Dan I couldn't see much as I was on the train, but there was no cars actually on the bridge at all (which were stationary). Everything was moving and the only cars which were stationary were at the lights.

Should be able to go out and see what it's like later when I hunt down 4968.

Oh right, hopefully that work will be finished soon, that whole area is a mess.

I was in the town earlier for a hour, i didn't see 4968.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - S813 FVK - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 10:20 am)Michael Oh right, hopefully that work will be finished soon, that whole area is a mess.

I was in the town earlier for a hour, i didn't see 4968.

It has been spotted out and about though so hes now on a mission and im sure it wont be long before he is satisfied Smile

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 11:12 am)Robert It has been spotted out and about though so hes now on a mission and im sure it wont be long before he is satisfied Smile

Too right! I've been looking out for 4968 on the boards which are usually allocated the Solars (you pick that sorta stuff up when you live on the route), so it's clearly been escaping onto Merc-operated boards instead.

There's one part of the afternoon whereby all of the Solars usually appear within about 30 minutes of each other (in all directions) on Newcastle Rd.

Makes no difference to the average customer that 4968 isn't on one of these boards, but makes things harder for me!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - S813 FVK - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 11:18 am)Dan Too right! I've been looking out for 4968 on the boards which are usually allocated the Solars (you pick that sorta stuff up when you live on the route), so it's clearly been escaping onto Merc-operated boards instead.

There's one part of the afternoon whereby all of the Solars usually appear within about 30 minutes of each other (in all directions) on Newcastle Rd.

Makes no difference to the average customer that 4968 isn't on one of these boards, but makes things harder for me!

I never even knew they had Solar boards and Citaro boards. Also, while on the topic of the Laser, i assume 4945 and 4946 will not be receiving a repaint due to them only been repainted last year or whenever it was? Certainly wasnt in 2009 thats for sure!

(22 Jul 2014, 12:49 pm)Robert I never even knew they had Solar boards and Citaro boards. Also, while on the topic of the Laser, i assume 4945 and 4946 will not be receiving a repaint due to them only been repainted last year or whenever it was? Certainly wasnt in 2009 thats for sure!
Aye... I discovered that when I moved over to Monkwearmouth.

You find that certain boards are, without fail, allocated Mercs (presumably these are the ones that are secured at some point during the day). Others will usually be allocated a Merc but can throw up a red Solar. The branded Solars are almost always on the same boards too - and it's these boards I avoid when going to school on a morning! Wink

Think you're right re ex Nine Solars.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Adrian - 22 Jul 2014

What are they doing to the old Bar 36 on Holmside? It was a right dive but a decent night out at times.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - tyresmoke - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 12:52 pm)Dan Aye... I discovered that when I moved over to Monkwearmouth.

You find that certain boards are, without fail, allocated Mercs (presumably these are the ones that are secured at some point during the day). Others will usually be allocated a Merc but can throw up a red Solar. The branded Solars are almost always on the same boards too - and it's these boards I avoid when going to school on a morning! Wink

Think you're right re ex Nine Solars.

You'll find the earlier they leave the depot usually helps too... Later ones get the dregs of what's left if they're short! lol

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 25 Jul 2014

Reading this on skyscrapercity fourm..

I passed 'The Point' today on my way to the City centre and noticed a sheet of paper taped to one of the glass doors.

It's a notice from bailiffs warning the business operators not to attempt to enter the building as the lease had been forfeited.

Looking next door it seemed that 'Arizona' and the 'Purple Room' were shut too (although I may be mistaken as they're not the most salubrious of premises and may've just looked derelict).

A chance they may be demolished and earmarked for something nicer perhaps?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1060391&page=63

Hmm interesting, i always thought the point was way to expensive but if Arizona and purple bar has shut down, that's a surprise, they were always busy.

By pictures,first part of the new road, where Brogans used to be has being tarmacked, roads coming on great!
- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1621211&page=11

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Malarkey - 26 Jul 2014

(25 Jul 2014, 2:48 pm)Michael Reading this on skyscrapercity fourm..

I passed 'The Point' today on my way to the City centre and noticed a sheet of paper taped to one of the glass doors.

It's a notice from bailiffs warning the business operators not to attempt to enter the building as the lease had been forfeited.

Looking next door it seemed that 'Arizona' and the 'Purple Room' were shut too (although I may be mistaken as they're not the most salubrious of premises and may've just looked derelict).

A chance they may be demolished and earmarked for something nicer perhaps?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1060391&page=63

Hmm interesting, i always thought the point was way to expensive but if Arizona and purple bar has shut down, that's a surprise, they were always busy.

By pictures,first part of the new road, where Brogans used to be has being tarmacked, roads coming on great!
- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1621211&page=11

Took a Photo of the Notice, and I can confirm that the Notice was on all 3 Bars, which I think may indicate that all were owned by the same Person or Group of Owner who worked in a Partnership of some form

[attachment=5776]

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 26 Jul 2014

(26 Jul 2014, 4:01 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Took a Photo of the Notice, and I can confirm that the Notice was on all 3 Bars, which I think may indicate that all were owned by the same Person or Group of Owner who worked in a Partnership of some form

Oh no Sad

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Adrian - 26 Jul 2014

Not surprised about the Point, given that they've always been in a position to hire it out to events on Friday and Saturdays. A night club needs to be self sufficient, without relying on external promoters to bring their events there. Even that slowed down once they realised the club wasn't the best design for sound travel.

I used to quite like the Arizona and Purple Bars. Always busy as you say Michael.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 26 Jul 2014

(26 Jul 2014, 6:06 pm)aureolin Not surprised about the Point, given that they've always been in a position to hire it out to events on Friday and Saturdays. A night club needs to be self sufficient, without relying on external promoters to bring their events there. Even that slowed down once they realised the club wasn't the best design for sound travel.

I used to quite like the Arizona and Purple Bars. Always busy as you say Michael.

Arizona was class, all the old music etc, even with its sticky floor!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Adrian - 26 Jul 2014

(26 Jul 2014, 6:09 pm)Michael Arizona was class, all the old music etc, even with its sticky floor!

haha yeah, but it could have been worse. Think Tuxedo Princess! Smile

I noticed that innfusion has reopened too, dropping the 'inn' from it's name. It could have happened a while ago, but I rarely go to Sunderland these days. It's another one that used to always be a cracking bar. £2.50 for a treble+mixer.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 26 Jul 2014

(26 Jul 2014, 6:20 pm)aureolin haha yeah, but it could have been worse. Think Tuxedo Princess! Smile

I noticed that innfusion has reopened too, dropping the 'inn' from it's name. It could have happened a while ago, but I rarely go to Sunderland these days. It's another one that used to always be a cracking bar. £2.50 for a treble+mixer.

That thing stunk of 'pineapple cubes'.

The revolving dance floor was always a challenge to get off after one too many.