North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1240)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Go North East - gtom - 20 Jan 2013

(19 Jan 2013, 9:38 pm)Daniel
(19 Jan 2013, 9:17 pm)Brandon I thought it was odd this morning seeing Fast Cats X35 leaflets stocked in the SimpliCity Versa (36) I was on! I am a bit surprised that the spare Versa hasn't been re-painted into Northern Red yet.

I've noticed a hell of a lot of branded service leaflets being stocked in the wrong vehicles - that's not just Deptford either!
The 78 I was on today had leaflets for the 50 on it...

The 21 I was on yesterday bizarrely had Pink Angel timetables on it.

Just spotted this on another forum too which is relevant to the Angel

''Gateshead council are going to segregate the bus lane and install a bollard on Newcastle Bank in Birtley (that's the road out of Birtley towards the Angel)''

I imagine this will stop people using the bus lane and blocking it as they try to enter onto the A1 at Eighton Lodge, should improve Angel time keeping as it'll have a buslane from Birtley to Low Fell now

RE: Go North East - Michael - 20 Jan 2013

Glad to see the TEN deckers arriving, seems abit early, wonder when the changes will be posted for the changes in the area

RE: Go North East - Dan - 20 Jan 2013

Pretty sure I was told they'd be coming in late too!

I wish Go North East had held back a little actually, isn't it March 2013 where we can have new 13 regs? Would have been better than 62 regs!

Gateshead-based "Loop" 5224 (NK54 NVX), Scania L94UB/Wright Solar was working the "X66 Metrocentre" X66 service today. Only oddity I spotted!
The yellow Prestige was out on the M1 again too, but that seems to be quite a common occurrence these days..!

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the 327 service? The last few times I've gone to get some photos, it hasn't operated... I thought it was a daily service with the exception of three or four certain days which are public holidays? Ta in advance.

And finally, "Doxford Clipper" service 39 and "SimpliCity" service 42 coped well with the diversions in place today due to the closure of Toward Road. At first, the drivers had been given the instruction not to follow Nexus' diversion because the works had continued until the Winter Gardens bus stop near Holmeside, but after that cleared up (I had no idea it would be done so quickly, so I was sat like an absolute numpty on a wall on Stockton Road for 40 minutes before giving up), they used Nexus' diversion instead. I do actually think the other diversion was better though! Admittedly, it missed out an additional stop, but this could have been served at the 38C stop on Burdon Road, surely?

(20 Jan 2013, 5:57 pm)Liam
(20 Jan 2013, 5:47 pm)Daniel Pretty sure I was told they'd be coming in late too!

I wish Go North East had held back a little actually, isn't it March 2013 where we can have new 13 regs? Would have been better than 62 regs!

I believe the first vehicle was originally due 4 weeks back. But Wrightbus have been running a little behind with the number of vehicles being produced for London. I wouldn't be too surprised if we also get some further cast-offs this year from London.

That's what I heard! Even still, I don't believe they're for service until March 2013 and the previous branding for the "TEN" service wasn't particularly extravagant so if they're retaining the same sort of style, it wouldn't take a great deal of time to get it done...

RE: Go North East - Dan - 21 Jan 2013

"Laser" Citaro on the 39
"SimpliCity" Versa on the 20/20A
"Route 19" SPD on the 9.
"Fast Cats" Scania on the 2A/C

Hope to catch them all later - saw them all while I was coming back from school. Have tonnes of homework to be doing tonight too Sad

RE: Go North East - NEB Admin Team - 21 Jan 2013

Those allocations are all over the place! Tongue

Peterlee's East Durham 541 doing this evenings 592 runs.

RE: Go North East - Dan - 21 Jan 2013

(21 Jan 2013, 6:00 pm)Brandon Those allocations are all over the place! Tongue

Peterlee's East Durham 541 doing this evenings 592 runs.

Yup! I was just about to say that - I saw it all of 20 minutes ago at Sunderland Empire :L

Because of the missing Citaro that was on the 39, the 35/A/B/C (whatever) had a President and quite a few SPDs on it too. President doesn't happen too often, so I was chuffed with it.

RE: Go North East - Michael - 21 Jan 2013

Didn't expect a citaro on the 39.

Update from GNE for weather

Monday 21st January at 19:25

All buses are currently delayed but running to normal routes today with the exception of the following:

Service 10A unable to serve Rockwood Hill

Services 13 & 14 are omitting Kingsway with the 14 also omitting Kimblesworth. 13 is unable to run via Findon Hill. Diverted between Sacriston and Durham

Service 15 is omitting Hawthorne Terrace, operating via St. Ives Road.
Service 31 unable to serve Hanover Estate

Services 43 and 44 services are running between Newcastle and Stanley at the moment as we await gritters for the section between Durham and Stanley, 44 also unable to call at Dipton

Service 45 and 46 are unable to run via Blackhill, Shotley Bridge and Bridgehill, the service is diverted via Leadgate, Burnopfield and Low Westwood - WE ARE CURRENTLY REVIEWING THE OPERATION OF THESE SERVICES
Service 47 Unable to serve Blackhall Mill, terminating at Chopwell Bus Stand

Service 49 Unable to serve Black Lane

Service 51 is omitting Valley Drive, operating via Dryden Road and Durham Road.

Service 65 is omitting Toft Crescent.

Service 78 is omitting Hawthorne Terrace and Southfields. Unable to run between Consett and Stanley

Service 97 is omitting Parkway, North View and Milton Road.
Services 98/98A are omitting Parkway

Service 130 is operating to South Moor then via Hustledown Road/Tyne Road to Stanley, omitting Quaking Houses.

Service 684 is omitting St. Helen's, Corbridge and all Hexham estates.

Service 688 is terminating at Allendale, not continuing to Allenheads.

Service M1 towards Heworth is omitting Lingey Lane and operating via the Leam Lane Estate. It is operating to its normal route in the opposite direction.

Service M2 is omitting Lingey Lane and operating via Roman Road and the A184 to The Black Bull.

V1-V9 Venture Buses from Consett Bus Station are suspended

Service X21 subject to delays due to poor road conditions between Bishop Auckland and Durham
X25 is unable to serve Waldridge Fell and Edmonsley

Service X30 and X31 are running between Newcastle and Stanley/Annfield Plain - UNABLE TO RUN THROUGH TO LANCHESTER

X70 and X71 subject to severe delays - WE ARE CURRENTLY REVIEWING THE OPERATION OF THESE SERVICES

Update: ALL SERVICES TO AND FROM CONSETT BUS STATION SUSPENDED AS OF 20:15 THIS EVENING

RE: Go North East - Dan - 22 Jan 2013

6018 (think it was anyway - same one as was on Metro Replacement duties over the weekend) was on the 61 this morning taking me to school, so it would have been on the 38s etc too... Could imagine it had quite a lot of free seats Wink

And 3979 was on the 42s (or it might have been the other Vodafone one... One was on the 99 and the other the 42)!

Other than that, I didn't see any irregularities in Sunderland today! There seems to be at least one "Silver Arrows" Citaro on the X3 now which seems odd.

RE: Go North East - gtom - 22 Jan 2013

I had a thrilling ride on a Waggonway this morning.

Lets' say DAF's struggle on the route when its not covered in snow and ice so today was fun. We pretty much skated the whole route and were pretty close to ending up in a ditch for most of the route. Credit to the driver!

And some changes at the top...

Go North East Commercial Director Martin Harris has been appointed Managing Director of Brighton & Hove Bus Company.
Martin will take up the role on 1 April 2013 when current Managing Director Roger French retires.
Martin has 32 years’ experience in the bus industry, having begun his career in Brighton as a senior management trainee for Southdown in 1980. He returned to the Sussex coast after two years with West Riding and was later part of the management team which formed Brighton & Hove Bus Company. Martin spent 11 years as Business Manager for the company before taking up the role as Director/General Manager at Go North East in 1996. Since then Martin has excelled in his role as Commercial Director and has been pivotal to Go North East’s success as a leading operator in the region.
Martin Harris
Martin has led the delivery of Go North East’s innovative approach to marketing; introducing mobile-ticketing, "the key" smartcard and the development of 50 branded routes, all of which have helped boost patronage over recent years. He has also introduced benchmark standards for accessibility and has driven successful public and private sector partnerships.
David Brown, Go-Ahead Group Chief Executive said: "I am delighted that Martin will be heading up our bus operations in Brighton. He has played a key role in the success of Go North East and will bring a wealth of experience and knowledge to his new position as Managing Director at Brighton & Hove. "
Martin Harris said: "I’m thrilled to be taking up this appointment and returning once more to Brighton & Hove. It’s a company with a well-deserved reputation for excellence with an outstanding leader. This is the one job in the industry that could tempt me away from Go North East and I am looking forward to working with the Brighton & Hove team to continue to build upon their successes for the future."

Photos of 5219 and 5224 both working the X66 on Sunday are now up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/8406507318/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/8405417097/in/photostream/

RE: Go North East - ian - 22 Jan 2013

i wonder if this could spell the end of the branded routes and return all buses to northern red, thus easing the wrong "branded" bus turning up. Somehow i think we're stuck with the brands for a little while longer.

(22 Jan 2013, 7:40 pm)ian i wonder if this could spell the end of the branded routes and return all buses to northern red, thus easing the wrong "branded" bus turning up. Somehow i think we're stuck with the brands for a little while longer.

'Martin has led the delivery of Go North East’s innovative approach to marketing; introducing mobile-ticketing, "the key" smartcard and the development of 50 branded routes, all of which have helped boost patronage over recent years.'

Does that look to you like they'd de-brand all services? :L

RE: Go North East - Adam - 22 Jan 2013

(22 Jan 2013, 8:17 pm)Daniel
(22 Jan 2013, 7:40 pm)ian i wonder if this could spell the end of the branded routes and return all buses to northern red, thus easing the wrong "branded" bus turning up. Somehow i think we're stuck with the brands for a little while longer.

'Martin has led the delivery of Go North East’s innovative approach to marketing; introducing mobile-ticketing, "the key" smartcard and the development of 50 branded routes, all of which have helped boost patronage over recent years.'

I agree with you Daniel. Now, I am going to baffle you all with some business related wiff waff so please bear with me. Mr Harris has transformed GNE and the branding has gained GNE a USP and a competitive advantage over its competitors, which is good for consumers as it makes public transport more attractive and easier to use, increasing the likelihood of the company making a greater profit. Therefore, debranding all the buses will lose the USP and competitive advantage GNE have gained over the last few years.

(22 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm)Adam

I agree with you Daniel. Now, I am going to baffle you all with some business related wiff waff so please bear with me. Mr Harris has transformed GNE and the branding has gained GNE a USP and a competitive advantage over its competitors, which is good for consumers as it makes public transport more attractive and easier to use, increasing the likelihood of the company making a greater profit. Therefore, debranding all the buses will lose the USP and competitive advantage GNE have gained over the last few years.

Good job I take Business Studies at GCSE and know exactly what unique selling points are!
Not only would it be displeasing to the members of the public of the North East (having to deal with one single generic livery again wouldn't be particularly pleasing to the eye - especially as Go North East's is ever so much more tedious than it was in a previous age), but it would be incredibly confusing for those who rely on the branding of bus. I know on Boxing Day, when allocations were all over the place due to the closure of several depots, a lot of elderly folk had to ask the driver whether he was driving x service, and every time, the driver had to say yes. While I admit that the occasional incorrect brand appearing on a service may be confusing right now, it's a problem that can be fixed in the short term, whereas the confusion caused if they were all to be de-branded would most definitely be long term.
The thing that concerns me most of all is how disrespectful it would be to Peter Huntley - the guy who started the brands off... I've always wanted to see one vehicle branded up in his memorial (similar to 4949), but unfortunately never got it... I'm thinking that most people won't even know the name "Peter Huntley" so it wouldn't be beneficial to Go North East at all.

I totally agree though... The unique selling point of public transport provided by Go North East is most definitely the different brands of services. That is why they are so heavily advertised.
Go North East are a prestigious operator, and their name is known all across the United Kingdom. I'd assume that this is because of their brands. Of course being part of Go-Ahead helps too, but yeah.

RE: Go North East - Adam - 22 Jan 2013

(22 Jan 2013, 8:35 pm)Daniel
(22 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm)Adam

Good job I take Business Studies at GCSE and know exactly what unique selling points are!
Not only would it be displeasing to the members of the public of the North East (having to deal with one single generic livery again wouldn't be particularly pleasing to the eye - especially as Go North East's is ever so much more tedious than it was in a previous age), but it would be incredibly confusing for those who rely on the branding of bus. I know on Boxing Day, when allocations were all over the place due to the closure of several depots, a lot of elderly folk had to ask the driver whether he was driving x service, and every time, the driver had to say yes. While I admit that the occasional incorrect brand appearing on a service may be confusing right now, it's a problem that can be fixed in the short term, whereas the confusion caused if they were all to be de-branded would most definitely be long term.
The thing that concerns me most of all is how disrespectful it would be to Peter Huntley - the guy who started the brands off... I've always wanted to see one vehicle branded up in his memorial (similar to 4949), but unfortunately never got it... I'm thinking that most people won't even know the name "Peter Huntley" so it wouldn't be beneficial to Go North East at all.

I totally agree though... The unique selling point of public transport provided by Go North East is most definitely the different brands of services. That is why they are so heavily advertised.
Go North East are a prestigious operator, and their name is known all across the United Kingdom. I'd assume that this is because of their brands. Of course being part of Go-Ahead helps too, but yeah.

Exactly. I do AS Level Business at the minute, so most of that is GCSE and A-Level blended together. I agree there with everything you say. Debranding the buses into one livery would be likely to turn away customers. Most passengers know their service by livery name, not number. The percentages of people using GNE's branded services have rocketed in the last few years, even though prices have risen.

This therefore shows that the popularity of the brands have increased, so debranding would not only be more boring colourwise, it would also harm GNE's financial situation as they'll have less money to continue investing in new buses and technologies to improve the overall experience of bus travel.

Trent barton have on their spare/fleet liveried buses the name of the route rather than a number on destination blinds, so maybe this maybe an option, which to be honest i think gne should apply when the route is operated by a red bus anyway, so maybe have "highwayman" in large print & then the usual destination on alternating screens, thus helping passengers

(22 Jan 2013, 9:17 pm)ian Trent barton have on their spare/fleet liveried buses the name of the route rather than a number on destination blinds, so maybe this maybe an option, which to be honest i think gne should apply when the route is operated by a red bus anyway, so maybe have "highwayman" in large print & then the usual destination on alternating screens, thus helping passengers

That's always something I've disliked about Trent.
A close friend of mine who is a regular visitor to the places that Trent serve and I always argue about whose ideas are better - Trent's or GNE's.

I prefer numbers, having a colour is not sufficient in my eyes. I know Trent's don't overlap and they stand no chance of ever meeting, but there are multiple routes with one colour and that's just a no-go for me. Fair enough having different buses with the same base colour and different branding, but not the destination itself. That's far too confusing.

Not only that, but these destination screens would be a hell of a lot more expensive and harder work to code, no doubt...

if it was linked to the number that is inputted to bring up the current display then that wouldn't prove problematic as most hannover displays are colour coded for specific routes.