North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1244)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Go North East - gtom - 15 Jun 2013

(15 Jun 2013, 1:33 pm)Andreos1 re new vehicles for the 28/28a, GNE also said something on the page about their fleet being 100% low floor by the end of the year.

Looks like the Sxxx OFT and Sxxx FVK Olympians are on their way...
Knowing how good they are, I would have thought replacing the less reliable deckers in the fleet would have been a priority over a handful of reliable step-entrance ones

I was in a car following 4985 this morning, was amused by the 'Cleaner Engines, Cleaner air' sticker which was barely readable thanks to some hefty exhaust fumes coming out of the rear.

Whatever the 28 group ends up with will decrease the life span because its such a punishing route and it's even worse now. During the early days of the Omnicities they were on the 709/728 for a few weeks and seriously struggled once they left Durham Road and headed up towards Ouston and onto Beamish.

RE: Go North East - Andreos1 - 15 Jun 2013

Those Prestege's on The Waggonway must be completely done in, even though they are 16 years old and should still have enough in them to be sold on.
They had a stint on the X30/X31 which is a pretty hard run, before the 28's - which as you say is a punishing route.

If you think that as airport shuttle buses in a previous life, they won't have lived the 'standard' existence that other acquired vehicles have had, before GNE got them either.
So after potting about terminal car parks and going back and forwards all day, they were certainly thrown in at the deep-end after moving North.

On a slightly seperate note, GNE must have been pretty desperate back in 2005'ish. Apart from these, Im pretty sure that was when they had a stack of vehicles on hire, as well as the ex-Arriva London, Nottingham, Isle of Man and Dublin deckers coming in.
The Arriva London Olympians didn't last as long as the others if I remember right, with them breaking down pretty regular. Can remember passing a scholars on the hard shoulder of the A1 one afternoon...

RE: Go North East - Rapidsnap - 15 Jun 2013

The Arriva London Leyland Olympian / ECWs were only on loan whilst Ensign bus converted the G-VBBs Olympians to single door.

As for the Waggonway, it's more likely to get newer vehicles (not brand new) cascaded from elsewhere when the Citaros arrive for the M1.

RE: Go North East - BJ10VUS - 15 Jun 2013

I do think the Prestiges are pretty expired, in terms of the 28's - but I do think that if they were refurbished they'd probably be alright. Been on the 28A just recently, (albeit just Gateshead to Eldon Square), and the rear seats were shaking really violently and the vehicle overall was sounding very rough.

RE: Go North East - Andreos1 - 15 Jun 2013

I always found it strange and could never understand why the original ECW Olympians and MCW Metrobuses were disposed of, without a decent lot of replacements already in situ.
It can't have been the case they were no longer reliable and had to be disposed of, because the ones which were sold on locally to the likes of Weardale and Classic, were still running a year or two later.
In fact, GNE had been short of deckers for a number of years prior to 2005 (disregarding the disposal of the Olympians and Metrobuses), because of the need had to have the Optare deckers on long term loan from Ensign...

Even in the weeks/months leading upto the Nottingham, Isle of Man, London, Ensign deckers arriving due to 'shortages' - GNE were getting rid of vehicles (including deckers) as if they were going out of fashion.

It seemed (and still does) a total contradiction to get rid of decent, reliable vehicles on one hand, yet scrabble about for others - which needed conversions, re-registrations, re-paints with the other hand.

RE: Go North East - MurdnunoC - 15 Jun 2013

I was just about to post something that Andreos1 has touched upon.

Is it just me or do buses today seem to be generally more unreliable than vehicles of yesteryear?

Somebody mentioned the 28/709/728 being a torturous route but is this really the case? - From Durham Road in Birtley, it ventures towards Ouston (or Urpeth Grange - I can't remember) where there's one bank. From there, it's Pelton, High Handenhold and Beamish where, granted, there is gradual incline but nothing I would consider severe. After Beamish, it's uphill to West Pelton, downhill to Grange Villa, uphill to Pelton Fell, then downhill into Chester. Again, I wouldn't consider any of these hills massively big when compared to, say, Swalwell Bank, Blaydon Bank, Shibdon Bank or Sheriff Hill. These hills have not suddenly materialised over the last ten years so, presumably, vehicles like the Optare Solo, the Nationals, Atlantieans (sp?), Bristols, MCW Metrobuses and ECW Olympians managed to operate on these type of route, albeit slowly, without any real problems.

Of course, living in the internet age, we learn of reliability issues concerning buses instantaneously through Facebook and the like when passengers complain about disruptions to their journeys. In the past, most of us wouldn't have had access to this information unless we were on a bus which broke down or whatever. So, back to my question, were buses really more reliable in the past? Or is it the case that they were just as 'unreliable', but, due to the lack of widespread coverage, we were not as aware?

RE: Go North East - Rapidsnap - 16 Jun 2013

Just to point out Andreos. GNE never had any Optare deckers on loan from Ensign Bus.

The buses on loan from Ensign were 11 ex Arriva London ECW bodied Olympians plus one Roe bodied Olympian that ran previously with Eastbourne Buses.

GNE had sold their ECW bodied Olympians and their MCW Metrobuses because they had at the time lost a number of contracts. However about a year later they gained more contracts and needed to source the vehicles.

The Second-hand high floor deckers taken into stock in 2005 were........
3x Volvo Olympian / ELC Pyoneers (3944-3946) New to Nottingham.
6x Leyland Olympian / Alexander Belfast (3947-3952) New to Dublin Bus.
9x Leyland Olympian / N-C Palatine 1 (3953-3961) New to Kentish Bus.

All bar 2 of the DAF DB250 / Optare Spectras were disposed of in 2006.

Further second hand deckers (including Low Floor ones) were added later on, these being:
17x Volvo B7TL / ELC Myllenium Vyking (3966-3983) New to London General
11x Volvo Olympian / N-C Palatine 1 (3984-3994) New to Metrobus, Orpington
34x Volvo B7TL / Plaxton Presidents (6008-6042) New to Go-Ahead London

Over the years it meant some interesting times for Go North East as an Enthusiast, days which I sadly miss.

RE: Go North East - Andreos1 - 16 Jun 2013

@AdamY
Maybe the internet has made us more aware of certain issues, but as a passenger initially and then as an adult with a driving licence, it was possible to see, comment and judge on a vehicle without use of the internet.
GTomlinson touched on that earlier with the smoke coming out of a Waggonway.

As a kid, I could tell the older Nationals (which turned out to be the MK1) were less reliable than the MK2. I saw Atlanteans which broke down regular, smoked a lot and spent time being towed back to Sunderland Road.
Very rarely have I seen a Volvo engined bus break down either.

Even by riding them, passengers can guage a vehicle, by the sounds, rattles and the way it rides.

You missed out Long Bank and Bensham Bank too :p
Normally Bensham Bank isn't an issue, but for the Prestiges, they can struggle.
I haven't seen/been on a bus yet which didn't struggle up Long Bank.
I get your point about the other parts of the route, but if the same vehicle is doing it, day in, day out, with several round trips a day, it is going to have an impact. As I said earlier, it isn't as if these Rxxx FNW vehicles had much of a route to break the engines in before being brought North and thrown onto the lanes of Co Durham.
Wonder what sort of mileage is on them?

If you compare them to the Renowns on the Lime, which have worked a similar type of route, for a lot longer but are of a similar age - there's no competition as to which vehicle is the more reliable and has aged the best.

However, I have never been on or seen a Trident which has broken down. If it wasn't for the GNE facebook page and the 13, 14 & X25, I wouldn't be aware of their problems.

@GMitchellhill
I was always under the impression after being 'reliably' informed at the time, that the Optare Spectra were on long term lease/loan and GNE hadn't bought them.

Even though a load of the ECW Olympians and MCW Metrobus' were sold in 2004, there were still some knocking about and in use into spring 2005 (does the archive list on the GNE website go back that far to double check dates?).

The paperwork/bid that GNE put in for the contracts which needed the acquired deckers, will have been submitted long before the vehicles arrived on the scene in the summer of 2005.
It seems very shortsighted of a major PLC to tender for contracts without the stock to deliver it and then, pay for repaints, re-registrations, buy/lease the stock, get conversion work done etc to fulfil the contracts

RE: Go North East - Malarkey - 16 Jun 2013

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/sets/72157634166140850/
As i'm really tired and cba I have put all the photos I took last Thursday/Friday into one set instead of post a load of separate links for odd workings etc, which there is a few including East Durham MPD's on the 42 and 60, TTX on 24, OK1 on 50. And all the Northern MPD's minus 605 which didnt come back into service until yesterday. Enjoy.

RE: Go North East - eezypeazy - 17 Jun 2013

Re the Waggonway DAFs: I believe the intention is to replace these with the Scanias off the M1 Metrolink when the new Citaros arrive...

RE: Go North East - BJ10VUS - 17 Jun 2013

(17 Jun 2013, 8:07 am)eezypeazy Re the Waggonway DAFs: I believe the intention is to replace these with the Scanias off the M1 Metrolink when the new Citaros arrive...

What ever it gets, I'd just like to see their (most likely) horrendous branding attempt.

RE: Go North East - nk55 - 17 Jun 2013

i think we'll see the withdrawl of the waggonway brand.

I'm led to believe the V reg volvo B7s will start to move to scholars/ spare roles from september and then withdrawl of the tridents from the fleet.

RE: Go North East - Michael - 17 Jun 2013

I think we will see a decent new brand because im sure GNE is working with beamish for the 28/28A.
Would be great for beamish to do the new brand

it should advertise beamish more... with the pictures of.. lets say the trams and shops etc

RE: Go North East - Andreos1 - 17 Jun 2013

Does anyone know if the Renowns working the Lime have been re-engined or had some work on their engines? Saw two this morning (a Lime 8 and Northern 78) that seemed to be a bit more refined than usual.

It would make sense, if GNE are going to squeeze a few more years out of them - like they did with the re-engined Nationals in the mid 90's.

RE: Go North East - gtom - 17 Jun 2013

(17 Jun 2013, 9:42 am)Michael I think we will see a decent new brand because im sure GNE is working with beamish for the 28/28A.

it should advertise beamish more... with the pictures of.. lets say the trams and shops etc

Something simple as 4847 branding would do for the Waggonway or as I suggested sometime ago a heritage led Northern General Transport branding.

(though it should be noted that the 28/28A isn't just specifically a Beamish service as such)

They should push the 25% off entry prices with a bus ticket, thats a great saving (not sure how it works with a key card mind)

I forgot about 4847 being branded for the 128, they should be like that, they should push with the 25% discount offer, Beamish is a great place and the current brand for the 28/28A.. isnt to advertising.

RE: Go North East - BJ10VUS - 17 Jun 2013

(17 Jun 2013, 11:46 am)Michael I think we will see a decent new brand because im sure GNE is working with beamish for the 28/28A.

They do advertise Beamish on-board, but not greatly. Also, most of the posters on-board have managed to peel off - probably due to the vibrations!

Haha, Yeh they are terrible buses cant wait for them to be replaced.

Like it was said earlier on the page, Can the newish buses cope, its a long route.

RE: Go North East - gtom - 17 Jun 2013

(17 Jun 2013, 12:26 pm)Michael Haha, Yeh they are terrible buses cant wait for them to be replaced.

Like it was said earlier on the page, Can the newish buses cope, its a long route.

Even if they cope for a year or two, better for passengers than current crop.

It's not an easy route at all. The hills down into Chester Le Street, back up towards Beamish, into the museum itself now, through Handenhold, Pelton, Ouston and down Station Lane, then either up Long Bank and Sheriffs Hill or down through Lamesley and up through Bensham.

The route has changed since the days of the ECW and then the Spectras etc on the 733

Go North East - Part 22 - Venturego - 17 Jun 2013

http://focustransport2011.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/red-arrow-v-city-link.html

Have Nottingham copied from GNE in attached?