North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1247)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 13 Sep 2013

(13 Sep 2013, 9:36 am)eezypeazy Even in the heydays of the 1950s, public transport in Hexham's 'hinterland' was very thin. Anyone who lives beyond Allenheads or Bellingham has never had a bus service that would enable them to commute into Newcastle, for example (though it's perfectly possible even today from Newbrough, Allenheads and Allendale Town). So people who are "forced to drive into Hexham" have never had another option, so it's not a question of being 'forced'; it's a question of knowing that if, for whatever reason, you live somewhere remote, you might suffer from isolation if you can't drive (an issue that the HoC Transport Select Committee is currently considering).

If you really want to get into semantics....

Of course they are forced - there is no other option, either now or in the past from some of the of the outlying villages into Hexham.

If there is no bus from my home to work, then (required by circumstances) I am forced by virtue, into choosing an alternative mode of transport to get to work.

If there is a bus, but it doesn't get me to my destination directly, I am forced into changing.

RE: Go North East - Latest - eezypeazy - 13 Sep 2013

No one is "forced"; everyone is presented with choices, dependent on their circumstances.

If I don't drive and live beyond a bus route and am fit and well, I have the choice of walking, cycling, taxis, or lifts from friends; I have the choice of home delivery services for my shopping, and/or everything else that the internet offers (unless I live beyond the electricity supply); lack of electricity or gas doesn't "force" me to burn coal, peat or wood to keep warm, it simply reduces the available choices.

"Forced" implies "absolutely no other choice", which is not the case.

I agree, though, that circumstances limit choice, but that's true of everything.

If you're going to pepper your posts with emotive language like "forced", then I'll be forced to post pedantic replies! Big Grin

(13 Sep 2013, 1:12 pm)eezypeazy No one is "forced"; everyone is presented with choices, dependent on their circumstances.

If I don't drive and live beyond a bus route and am fit and well, I have the choice of walking, cycling, taxis, or lifts from friends; I have the choice of home delivery services for my shopping, and/or everything else that the internet offers (unless I live beyond the electricity supply); lack of electricity or gas doesn't "force" me to burn coal, peat or wood to keep warm, it simply reduces the available choices.

"Forced" implies "absolutely no other choice", which is not the case.

I agree, though, that circumstances limit choice, but that's true of everything.

If you're going to pepper your posts with emotive language like "forced", then I'll be forced to post pedantic replies! Big Grin

ok... Huh

edit. I was going to leave it at that, but just for eezypeazy's benefit:
'Synonyms of force: force, compel, coerce,
constrain, oblige, obligate These verbs mean to cause a person or thing to follow a prescribed or dictated course'

So unless I am missing something, people living in the Tyne Valley, without access to public transport are forced to follow a prescribed course in getting into Hexham to continue their onward journey Big Grin

You may want to nitpick at that, I'm sure you will - after all like most quotes, extracts, sources etc I have provided, they are apparently open to interpretation...

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 13 Sep 2013

4961 NA52 WVS in Northern Livery on the M1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9733483851/

Edit: If you want you can share it on other Forums too, as this is the only one I'm part of.

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 13 Sep 2013

(13 Sep 2013, 1:56 pm)Adam Malarkey 4961 NA52 WVS in Northern Livery on the M1

Very smart!

(13 Sep 2013, 2:02 pm)BJ10VUS Very smart!

Stood an Hour and 15 Minutes for this, This Morning, I thought it might of ended up on the 88/88A as time was getting on.

Also forgot to note 4957 is back at Washington after it's Loan to Deptford/Peterlee for trial work on the X7. On it's usual M1 Duties.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 13 Sep 2013

(13 Sep 2013, 1:56 pm)Adam Malarkey 4961 NA52 WVS in Northern Livery on the M1

Is the rest of the Scania's at Washington going Northern red?

(13 Sep 2013, 2:17 pm)Michael Is the rest of the Scania's at Washington going Northern red?

No Idea Michael, I haven't heard or read anything about what will happen to 4962-66. Hopefully we'll find in the next week or 2.

(13 Sep 2013, 2:23 pm)Adam Malarkey No Idea Michael, I haven't heard or read anything about what will happen to 4962-66. Hopefully we'll find in the next week or 2.

Wonder then if 4961 is gonna be a spare for the Waggonway?

Gonna be a intresting few months for new orders...

Question:

What colour will the Streetlites/Citaros be when they turn up?

(13 Sep 2013, 2:27 pm)Michael Wonder then if 4961 is gonna be a spare for the Waggonway?

Gonna be a intresting few months for new orders...

Question:

What colour will the Streetlites/Citaros be when they turn up?

Same answer I have No Idea, will have to wait and see

RE: Go North East - Latest - eezypeazy - 13 Sep 2013

(13 Sep 2013, 1:24 pm)Andreos1 'Synonyms of force: force, compel, coerce,
constrain, oblige, obligate These verbs mean to cause a person or thing to follow a prescribed or dictated course'

So unless I am missing something, people living in the Tyne Valley, without access to public transport are forced to follow a prescribed course in getting into Hexham to continue their onward journey...

"Constrain" I will grant you. But lack of a bus does not compel, coerce, oblige or obligate anyone into a prescribed or dictated course.

I've often thought that a very interesting and useful bus route would start in Newcastle and operate once a day (and return) via Shotley Bridge to Edmundbyers, Stanhope, Middleton in Teessdale, Kirkby Stephen, Dent, Settle, Burnley and Bury to Manchester. To the best of my knowledge, such a complete route has never existed and I doubt it ever will. But it would be wrong to say that without this bus service people are "forced" into any other course of action; they are simply constrained by lack of one particular choice from many. In this case, the constraint has always existed, so people's choices have always been limited by one less option. This is not to deny the right of anyone living along this particular route to ask for it, but even the most optimistic bus enthusiast would probably admit that there couldn't ever be a sustainable demand for such a thing. Neither is this to deny the right of local authorities along such a route to provide it should they so choose. But you can't turn the absence of such a bus into people being "forced" to do anything other than consider the other options... unless, of course, you're a journalist looking for a catchy headline.

(13 Sep 2013, 2:35 pm)eezypeazy "Constrain" I will grant you. But lack of a bus does not compel, coerce, oblige or obligate anyone into a prescribed or dictated course.

I've often thought that a very interesting and useful bus route would start in Newcastle and operate once a day (and return) via Shotley Bridge to Edmundbyers, Stanhope, Middleton in Teessdale, Kirkby Stephen, Dent, Settle, Burnley and Bury to Manchester. To the best of my knowledge, such a complete route has never existed and I doubt it ever will. But it would be wrong to say that without this bus service people are "forced" into any other course of action; they are simply constrained by lack of one particular choice from many. In this case, the constraint has always existed, so people's choices have always been limited by one less option. This is not to deny the right of anyone living along this particular route to ask for it, but even the most optimistic bus enthusiast would probably admit that there couldn't ever be a sustainable demand for such a thing. Neither is this to deny the right of local authorities along such a route to provide it should they so choose. But you can't turn the absence of such a bus into people being "forced" to do anything other than consider the other options... unless, of course, you're a journalist looking for a catchy headline.

No eezypeazy, if you read it again - slowly if you want...
Those words are synonyms of force, alternatives which can be used depending on the situation.

So in the example I gave: To force (verb) to cause a person or thing to follow a prescribed
or dictated course.
You got that bit though. Excellent!

Pat on the back for eezypeazy and a round of applause.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 13 Sep 2013

Lime involved in a little bump on Chester Rd...

(13 Sep 2013, 3:23 pm)Daniel Lime involved in a little bump on Chester Rd...

Looks like it was the cars tried to get though and it hasn't worked.

(13 Sep 2013, 3:41 pm)Michael Looks like it was the cars tried to get though and it hasn't worked.

I imagine the Lime was pulling behind another bus which was already in (hence its position at the stop). The driver behind has misjudged braking distance (likely to have assumed the bus was going to pull all the way into the stop) and managed to crash straight into the back because the bus stopped.
It has caused quite a lot of disruption... Traffic in both directions is being forced to use one lane (where the van is on the photo). Looked quite strange seeing a Silver Arrows Merc overtake so hastily on that lane which I observed.

By any change was the car driver old or a women... not being sexisit but its mainly them who cause problems... lol

(13 Sep 2013, 3:52 pm)Michael By any change was the car driver old or a women... not being sexisit but its mainly them who cause problems... lol

Haha, not sexist nor ageist I hope! :p

The only driver present was the bus driver on his phone sounding rather stressed... A few old biddies sitting on the bench next to the bus stop, but not sure if they were just people sitting around. Wink

Na i'm not against stuff like that was a joke but wouldn't be surprised

Cool

This just a theory here , if you look at the photo to the left showing the rear of both Vehicles, Note the Car has a Punctured Tyre at Front on Left side, could it be possible that when going at Speed the tyre popped and the car has went into the back of the Bus, plus if you look at the Positioning. The car rather than leave a dint in the back of the bus, it has some how managed to twist the rear section of the Bus into the side of the Car upon collision possibly. Plus i'm pretty sure 9/10 Drivers would have managed to get past this sort of thing no bother as it happens on Daily Basis on this Section of Chester RD.

RE: Go North East - Latest - MurdnunoC - 13 Sep 2013

(13 Sep 2013, 4:32 pm)Adam Malarkey This just a theory here , if you look at the photo to the left showing the rear of both Vehicles, Note the Car has a Punctured Tyre at Front on Left side, could it be possible that when going at Speed the tyre popped and the car has went into the back of the Bus, plus if you look at the Positioning. The car rather than leave a dint in the back of the bus, it has some how managed to twist the rear section of the Bus into the side of the Car upon collision possibly. Plus i'm pretty sure 9/10 Drivers would have managed to get past this sort of thing no bother as it happens on Daily Basis on this Section of Chester RD.

Now that you've drawn my attention to it, there does seem to be something unusual about that picture.