North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1247)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Go North East - Latest - eezypeazy - 15 Sep 2013

(15 Sep 2013, 6:04 pm)aureolin ... it's always shown on my Key card as me boarding a bus towards Sunderland. My understanding was that the blinds and ticket machine worked independent of each other, so technically speaking, both would have to be adjusted to be set up for the 'next trip' if you like...
As soon as a driver has passed the last possible boarding point for that trip, he'll reset the ticket machine ready for the start of the next trip, or log out of the ticket machine if the bus is finishing. Equally, as soon as the driver has passed the last possible boarding point for that trip, and before the first possible boarding point of the next trip, he'll reset the blind (both, of course, when it's safe to do so!).

Personally, I think it's important to do the blind well before you reach a bus station such as Eldon Square - eg., GNE 31 and 11 interwork, as do 47 and 32. Imagine the chaos if a Toonlink arrived showing "Newcastle 32", pulled on to a stand and then became "Blackhall Mill 47".

On the question of resetting ticket machines... from what I've seen, it seems to be GNE practice that when a driver changeover happens during a service (at Blaydon, for example), the incoming driver collects any fares before signing out of the machine and swapping with his mate. Is this the norm with other operators, or do things vary from company to company (eg, Stagecoach on Stamfordham Road opposite Slatyford depot?).

RE: Go North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 15 Sep 2013

(15 Sep 2013, 8:00 pm)eezypeazy As soon as a driver has passed the last possible boarding point for that trip, he'll reset the ticket machine ready for the start of the next trip, or log out of the ticket machine if the bus is finishing. Equally, as soon as the driver has passed the last possible boarding point for that trip, and before the first possible boarding point of the next trip, he'll reset the blind (both, of course, when it's safe to do so!).

Personally, I think it's important to do the blind well before you reach a bus station such as Eldon Square - eg., GNE 31 and 11 interwork, as do 47 and 32. Imagine the chaos if a Toonlink arrived showing "Newcastle 32", pulled on to a stand and then became "Blackhall Mill 47".

On the question of resetting ticket machines... from what I've seen, it seems to be GNE practice that when a driver changeover happens during a service (at Blaydon, for example), the incoming driver collects any fares before signing out of the machine and swapping with his mate. Is this the norm with other operators, or do things vary from company to company (eg, Stagecoach on Stamfordham Road opposite Slatyford depot?).

For me it all depends if the next driver is already at the stand. In Middlesbrough we generally changeover in the layover bays in the middle, but in Stockton we don't.... If the next driver is already there then we handover before we load passengers, but sometimes I will load them up if there's only 1 or 2 (if I haven't already signed off that is!)

RE: Go North East - Latest - big mac - 15 Sep 2013

(15 Sep 2013, 6:07 pm)GuyParkRoyal The destination blind on the Angel 21 should be changed before departing from the bus stop at the foot of John Dobson Street as south bound customers are allowed to board the bus at this stop. This is also noted on the route map at the foot of the Angel 21 timetable. Although the bus enters Eldon Square the route north from Gateshead and returning to Gateshead is considered a circular route.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen someone board the 21 at John Dobson Street to travel southbound. So, even though technically customers are allowed to board here, they don't (unless anyone here has seen it happen).

Even though it says on the timetable, I would bet that a lot of people don't actually know that Dobson Street is a bus stop they can board at, as they will just assume the 21 leaves from Eldon Square.

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 15 Sep 2013

(15 Sep 2013, 8:00 pm)eezypeazy As soon as a driver has passed the last possible boarding point for that trip, he'll reset the ticket machine ready for the start of the next trip, or log out of the ticket machine if the bus is finishing. Equally, as soon as the driver has passed the last possible boarding point for that trip, and before the first possible boarding point of the next trip, he'll reset the blind (both, of course, when it's safe to do so!).

I've got to agree, it's so confusing when a drifter Versa's pulls in a 42 City Centre then becomes 60 Parkside. And I've seen recently a driver pulled in as 2A Sunderland into Stand C at Park Lane then whilst pulled in turned into 61 Murton but no one saw and weren't going to board until I asked the driver and told passengers (I was aware of the Interworkings hence I asked the driver).

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 16 Sep 2013

(15 Sep 2013, 9:42 pm)CatsFast101 I've got to agree, it's so confusing when a drifter Versa's pulls in a 42 City Centre then becomes 60 Parkside. And I've seen recently a driver pulled in as 2A Sunderland into Stand C at Park Lane then whilst pulled in turned into 61 Murton but no one saw and weren't going to board until I asked the driver and told passengers (I was aware of the Interworkings hence I asked the driver).

Conversely, drivers changing their destinations on Ryhope Road is just not acceptable - is it? I noted a few weeks back that I witnessed drivers changing their destination blinds (61 and 2A) at Southmoor School. I'd say there was another good 1.5 miles or so from that school to Park Lane - and there are 3-4 more stops along the way. Passengers know their service as "61 SUNDERLAND" not "2A WASHINGTON", so they're not going to stick their hands out.

I believe the pilot mentioned something similar, of drivers changing their destinations at The Cedars - just a minute or so away from Southmoor School.

Drivers usually get layover time, and (especially in the case of Gateshead Interchange or Park Lane Interchange) I do believe destinations should be changed whilst laying over. As we've already mentioned, this is not particularly appropriate at Eldon Sq as buses tend to go straight to their stands. In this case, at the final stop, a bus driver should stop and change his destination blind there. If the bus does not stop at Blackett Street, Percy Street whilst waiting at the traffic lights would also be appropriate. Changing as early as Gateshead (or even before then) just isn't acceptable really, in my eyes at least.

Lime timetables have been put on buses. Good to see that GNE did still focus on the cycle friendly element of the services!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 16 Sep 2013

(16 Sep 2013, 6:51 am)Daniel Conversely, drivers changing their destinations on Ryhope Road is just not acceptable - is it? I noted a few weeks back that I witnessed drivers changing their destination blinds (61 and 2A) at Southmoor School. I'd say there was another good 1.5 miles or so from that school to Park Lane - and there are 3-4 more stops along the way. Passengers know their service as "61 SUNDERLAND" not "2A WASHINGTON", so they're not going to stick their hands out.

I believe the pilot mentioned something similar, of drivers changing their destinations at The Cedars - just a minute or so away from Southmoor School.

Drivers usually get layover time, and (especially in the case of Gateshead Interchange or Park Lane Interchange) I do believe destinations should be changed whilst laying over. As we've already mentioned, this is not particularly appropriate at Eldon Sq as buses tend to go straight to their stands. In this case, at the final stop, a bus driver should stop and change his destination blind there. If the bus does not stop at Blackett Street, Percy Street whilst waiting at the traffic lights would also be appropriate. Changing as early as Gateshead (or even before then) just isn't acceptable really, in my eyes at least.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of changing early, as aureolin and myself have mentioned, data for late running services is being manipulated (deliberately or not) and when customers query a service, they are left annoyed by Customer Services essentially calling the passenger a liar and denying the service was running late.
All because the ticket machine was changed earlier than it should have been.

(16 Sep 2013, 8:05 am)citaro5284 Who is saying the ticket machine is changed early.....blinds yes. Remember if a machine is changed early and the machine is set for the next trip, and a passenger boards and wants to buy a ticket, how can the driver issue a ticket - simple answer is they cannot. You also can see what time the first transaction was issued and the last (to the second), so if they have still changed their machine early you can still see if the service was late running. No data for late running services is manipulated using ETM's - some people would just like to think it does Big Grin

Aureolin gave an example of it happening to him...

RE: Go North East - Latest - eezypeazy - 16 Sep 2013

(15 Sep 2013, 6:04 pm)aureolin ... I've caught the 2C a number of times from Wear Industrial Estate at Washington, and it's already had "Sunderland" set. Despite it being headed towards the Galleries. The only pattern is that it tends to be when the bus is running considerably late.

...but in the above examples, it's always shown on my Key card as me boarding a bus towards Sunderland....
I think I may have an explanation of this....

IIRC, the 2A/2C was run as a 'circular' around Washington? I don't know if it still is, but this would explain why a 2C, heading towards the Galleries, may already have shown 2A Sunderland on the blind. I can see how this might have been confusing...

And re the 'key' card: It's my understanding that the 2A/2C fare table is presented as a 'circular' to and from Sunderland Interchange on the ticket machines. Again, IIRC, using a key card will show the furthest point you can travel to on that card on that fare table, hence travel limit comes up as Sunderland, even though the driver will (I'm guessing) have to change the machine at Washington for the inbound trip.

I can't see how we can then make a leap to using this to 'manipulate data' to hide late running, though, as the last and first use of the TM will be recorded before the end of one trip and at the start of another.

You can reset the ticket machine, but you can't hide! Big Grin

RE: Go North East - Latest - cbma06 - 16 Sep 2013

Recently on GNE facebook page:

Due to a police incident, services #M1 and #71 are unable to run via Fence Houses. M1 is also unable to serve Bournmoor due to diversion

(16 Sep 2013, 11:40 am)cbma06 Recently on GNE facebook page:

Due to a police incident, services #M1 and #71 are unable to run via Fence Houses. M1 is also unable to serve Bournmoor due to diversion

The revolution has started!
The Fencehouses Popular Front have taken to the streets.

In all seriousness though, hope everyone or anyone is ok.

RE: Go North East - Latest - cbma06 - 16 Sep 2013

(16 Sep 2013, 11:52 am)Andreos1 The revolution has started!
The Fencehouses Popular Front have taken to the streets.

In all seriousness though, hope everyone or anyone is ok.

From GNE facebook page: The roads around Fence Houses have reopened so services #M1 and #71 will now operate via normal route.

4914 on X3s, arriving in 10 mins late. Has just gone out of service - not sure why?

RE: Go North East - Latest - CitaroFavourite - 16 Sep 2013

A small number of vehicle transfers in and out of Stanley have been necessary to alleviate capacity problems on scholars services.

Volvo B7/Plaxton from Stanley: 6030 to Gateshead, 6033 to Winlaton, 6017 to Washington and 6016 to Chester le Street.

Olympians to Stanley: 3833 from Gateshead, 3813 from Winlaton, 3821 from Washington and 3825 from Chester le Street.

MPD 512: X512 WRG remains in service at Consett and 516: NK51 MJV has been withdrawn instead.

(16 Sep 2013, 3:29 pm)CitaroFavourite A small number of vehicle transfers in and out of Stanley have been necessary to alleviate capacity problems on scholars services.

Volvo B7/Plaxton from Stanley: 6030 to Gateshead, 6033 to Winlaton, 6017 to Washington and 6016 to Chester le Street.

Olympians to Stanley: 3833 from Gateshead, 3813 from Winlaton, 3821 from Washington and 3825 from Chester le Street.

MPD 512: X512 WRG remains in service at Consett and 516: NK51 MJV has been withdrawn instead.

Seems odd that 516 would be withdrawn, when it is a newer vehicle...
Was this vehicle facing problems, does anyone know? I imagine if it had been VOR a lot due to issues, it would make more sense.

RE: Go North East - Latest - CitaroFavourite - 16 Sep 2013

(16 Sep 2013, 3:39 pm)Daniel Seems odd that 516 would be withdrawn, when it is a newer vehicle...
Was this vehicle facing problems, does anyone know? I imagine if it had been VOR a lot due to issues, it would make more sense.

i was shocked to find out that has happned like that time that Transbus SPD was withdrawn from Deptford

(16 Sep 2013, 3:46 pm)CitaroFavourite i was shocked to find out that has happned like that time that Transbus SPD was withdrawn from Deptford

That one was having issues though - something to do with the engine iirc (I'm sure someone will have a more definite answer)? Still parked in Deptford at the same place as it was when first withdrawn. Can't move! Tongue

PB0002400/509 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted by SN
Starting Point: WEST HARTON, ST WILFREDS CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Finish Point: JARROW BUS STATION
Via:
Service Number: 816
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 09-SEP-2013
Other Details: Monday to Friday ( school days only )

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 16 Sep 2013

(16 Sep 2013, 4:51 pm)Daniel PB0002400/509 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted by SN
Starting Point: WEST HARTON, ST WILFREDS CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Finish Point: JARROW BUS STATION
Via:
Service Number: 816
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 09-SEP-2013
Other Details: Monday to Friday ( school days only )

Bit late, aren't they? Tongue

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adam - 16 Sep 2013

(16 Sep 2013, 5:02 pm)BJ10VUS Bit late, aren't they? Tongue

it's buses man, they're always late Tongue