North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1247)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Go North East - Latest - lesybear2002 - 05 Sep 2013

A few oddities on the way home, between half 5 and half 6 there was a Orbit Versa on Quaylink, a Saltwell Park Versa on Orbit, a Orbit Versa on Citylink and a Quaylink Versa on Orbit. Brandings are going well today!

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 05 Sep 2013

5169 was also on the 58

RE: Go North East - Latest - CitaroFavourite - 05 Sep 2013

today i have seen a Quaylink on Saltwell Park 54, Fab Fifty Seven on Citylink 58, Orbit on Citylink 58 and finally 5263 is the 2nd Coaster to be branded

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 05 Sep 2013

(05 Sep 2013, 8:15 pm)CitaroFavourite today i have seen a Quaylink on Saltwell Park 54, Fab Fifty Seven on Citylink 58, Orbit on Citylink 58 and finally 5263 is the 2nd Coaster to be branded

62 also reported to be branded.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 05 Sep 2013

(05 Sep 2013, 8:29 pm)Daniel 62 also reported to be branded.

It'll be due another re-brand by the time they finish. Tongue I can't actually recall this happening before with a new branding or branding relaunch? It's always been the case that the vehicles would get their base colour, and then appear on the first day of 'new service' with their decals added.

Maybe in hindsight GNE would have prioritized the Coaster rebrands above the MetroLink repaints for example.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 06 Sep 2013

(05 Sep 2013, 8:44 pm)aureolin It'll be due another re-brand by the time they finish. Tongue I can't actually recall this happening before with a new branding or branding relaunch? It's always been the case that the vehicles would get their base colour, and then appear on the first day of 'new service' with their decals added.

Maybe in hindsight GNE would have prioritized the Coaster rebrands above the MetroLink repaints for example.

They did prioritise the "Coaster" repaints above the "MetroLINK" repaints.
The "OK Expressway" repaints were also above the "Coaster" repaints though, as they were being refurbished and then getting done straight away and sent to Hexham.

Alongside general maintenance, I guess their target was just never going to be fulfilled.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 06 Sep 2013

On a slightly different note, but staying with the Coaster - why has the extension been arranged for the start of the new school term?

It has to be more than just coincidence, that it started at the begining of September, rather than before or during the school holidays.

(06 Sep 2013, 6:23 am)Andreos1 On a slightly different note, but staying with the Coaster - why has the extension been arranged for the start of the new school term?

It has to be more than just coincidence, that it started at the begining of September, rather than before or during the school holidays.

If you're going to have a major network change, involving both minor and major changes to individual services, you'd have them all on the same date - right?

Some of the minor changes only involved scholars and the normal service that they interwork with (I recall someone mentioning only one journey of the 39 changing and it being scholar-related?), so it would be pretty common practice for all of these changes to happen on the same day so as to avoid confusion.
I do believe either on a morning or evening, the 24 also did scholars/workers services, so these would have to change for the 1.

What I don't understand is why the "Tynedalexpress" was held off by a week, and is starting from 8th September rather than 1st September.

(06 Sep 2013, 6:33 am)Daniel If you're going to have a major network change, involving both minor and major changes to individual services, you'd have them all on the same date - right?

Some of the minor changes only involved scholars and the normal service that they interwork with (I recall someone mentioning only one journey of the 39 changing and it being scholar-related?), so it would be pretty common practice for all of these changes to happen on the same day so as to avoid confusion.

What I don't understand is why the "Tynedalexpress" was held off by a week, and is starting from 8th September rather than 1st September.

I get what your saying about having them on the same date, but how many times do these service revisions come into play?
There were a load of changes on 28th July, some on 23rd June, others on 2nd June etc.
The 28th July would have been perfect, with it being the start of the holidays/factory fortnight - taking into account the interworking the 24 had with scholars
and workers services.

It just seems more than a coincidence, that an extension from the Coast, was launched after the school holidays.
When you look at all of the spin and PR for the re-launch, the wording makes me think that the service isn't aimed as a through service improving links to the Coast (which the brand could imply), but a link from North Tyneside AND Gateshead into Newcastle for commuters and shoppers.

Why would they want to fill the bus up with kids going to Whitley Bay, Tynemouth or Cullercoats on a £1.10 day ticket during the holidays, when they can attract commuters or shoppers paying 2, 3 or £4 a pop?

6020 has returned to service at Deptford following her brief period of being VOR with engine problems, having been transferred back from Percy Main. On 36As today.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 06 Sep 2013

(06 Sep 2013, 6:33 am)Daniel If you're going to have a major network change, involving both minor and major changes to individual services, you'd have them all on the same date - right?

I do believe either on a morning or evening, the 24 also did scholars/workers services, so these would have to change for the 1.

The X84/85 start on 8th September because Northern hadn't dreamt up the idea of the Tynedale Express in time for it to be registered with VOSA to start on 1st September. As I've said before they've lost their previous positive approach and now have no real overall plan apart from just cutting at the margins anywhere they can, just bodging things from day to day. Promoting the extension of the Coaster to Wreckenton as a wonderful new service is typical of this - it's only going back (partly) to what it was a couple of years ago. The idea of a "network" and bus "service" don't seem to figure in their planning and this negativity will just cause them to fall into the pit of the Quality Contract of Nexus which will have dramatically adverse effects on the company. Whereas Stagecoach have a much more positive attitude and are improving services to show that the only realistic way forward is a Quality Partnership, that the bus operators can and will improve to convince Nexus, Northern are doing the opposite. It's all very sad that what a couple of years ago was such a dynamic company is now losing its way.

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 06 Sep 2013

Un-ID Centurion renown on the 9's.
4944 Northern Renown on 8/78's.
Un-ID East Durham on X3 at around 11:45, meaning it'll be on the 36's & X36 also? EDIT: This was the short X3 so I'm not sure how they interwork?
506 Northern MPD on the 20/20A's.

Seen at Sunderland between 11:30-12:30.

(06 Sep 2013, 1:35 pm)CatsFast101 Un-ID Centurion renown on the 9's.

5156 was on this morning, but it is pretty common to have more than one on.

Laser on X3s. Departed SUN 1605.
Photo attached below. Phone camera shot...

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 06 Sep 2013

(06 Sep 2013, 3:11 pm)Daniel 5156 was on this morning, but it is pretty common to have more than one on.

Laser on X3s. Departed SUN 1605.
Photo attached below. Phone camera shot...

There been a Centurion on the 9 everyday this week due to the Coaster Repaints/Rebrands which has seen the Northern Omni's being used on the 1.

(06 Sep 2013, 5:53 pm)citaro5284 We are trying some different things with the destination blinds. One thing we have tried on the Percy Main and Gateshead db's is trying to make the 'Not In Service' blind clearer so people waiting at the bus stops do not put there hand out.

I have attached a link to a photo on the nerbp flickr site showing a Hexham Scania with the new blind - any opinions?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nerbp/9678919447/

My eldest spotted the Real Radio decker had this display the other night as we came along Sunderland Road.
Bearing in mind, we were on the X9, he spotted it and commented on how clear it was straight away.

To be honest, I hadn't been paying attention, but it was clear enough for him to spot it, mention it and for me to look up - all before it went past us...

RE: Go North East - Latest - idiot - 06 Sep 2013

628 on 99. Passed through Hylton Castle to Royal Hospital about 1840 ish.

'Not In Service' blind Opinions - BJ10VUS - 06 Sep 2013

(06 Sep 2013, 5:53 pm)citaro5284 I have attached a link to a photo on the nerbp flickr site showing a Hexham Scania with the new blind - any opinions?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nerbp/9678919447/

It's certainly different - that makes it stand out more to me. Rather than being the two line display previously used, the letters are much bigger.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 06 Sep 2013

(06 Sep 2013, 6:09 pm)BJ10VUS It's certainly different - that makes it stand out more to me. Rather than being the two line display previously used, the letters are much bigger.

Much better, It's heard to read the current style.

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 06 Sep 2013

(06 Sep 2013, 6:18 pm)Michael Much better, It's heard to read the current style.

I wouldn't say it was particularly 'hard' to read, but I think your eyes are more focussed on the "For more information on our services..." scrolling 'waffle' going along the bottom line Tongue

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 06 Sep 2013

(06 Sep 2013, 6:25 pm)BJ10VUS I wouldn't say it was particularly 'hard' to read, but I think your eyes are more focussed on the "For more information on our services..." scrolling 'waffle' going along the bottom line Tongue

I find it hard to read it without my glasses sounds daft but yeh the scrolling thing along the bottom doesn't help