North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1247)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Go North East - Latest - Kuyoyo - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 8:59 am)Daniel I expected the 74A would utilise a branded Solar rather than it being the other way round though. 'Tis somewhat disappointing, as the 685 could seem so much more attractive on Sundays.

Don't you mean the 85? On Sundays, the 685 is split with Arriva only operating the Hexham-Newcastle section hourly as the 85, while Stagecoach operate Hexham-Carlisle as the 685 every 3 hours (with a 31 minute layover on each trip on 685, and a 27 minutes layover on the 85). So, the X84 doesn't have a leg to stand-on on Sundays really, 2 journeys each way vs an hourly service on more-or-less the same corridor, no contest.

RE: Go North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 08 Sep 2013

They're only running the X84 as a replacement for the 684 journeys that ran at the same times on a Sunday.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 08 Sep 2013

I'm just trying to compare the Bishop Auckland to Hexham operations, following on from the comments above.

Bishop:
* Dedicated depot on hire to reduce costs.
* Reliant on pushing Buzzfare.
* 4 services launched in competition to Arriva.
* Limited service on Sundays.
* Cascaded vehicles, including second hand examples.

Hexham:
* Dedicated depot.
* Competing against train and 685.
* Several local services feeding into town centre with ongoing connections to neighbouring towns and Newcastle.
* Very limited service on Sundays on certain routes.
* Mixture of cascaded and brand new vehicles
servicing the town.

It is obvious where GNE are focusing their attention, investing more in the Tyne Valley, than down the road in the Wear Valley.
Hexham is a more prosperous area, with the weekday market attracting people from around the area as well as the commuters along the valley needing to get onto Tyneside.

However, like with the Coaster, I can't help feeling as though they have missed the boat so to speak with the x84/85.
The majority of people using the Hexham services at this time of year, will be residents living in the Hexham area.
If the X84/85 had been launched earlier in the year, then it could have found its feet perfectly with visitors and tourists wanting to go to Hexham over the summer, when the weather is nicer.
Needless to say, Sunday is an ideal day for people to do that - just not as autumn sets in...

From the other side of the coin, as we get closer to Christmas, the attraction may well be the Metrocentre and Newcastle, with loads increasing from Northumberland as they head onto Tyneside to do their shopping.

Touching on what Daniel was saying, the 74a probably won't have enough passengers to justify using a Scania and to be honest, I can't see the 7.24 X84 on a Sunday morning being too busy either.
As aureolin said, for the sake of 10mins, you can get a 10 and charge your phone up.

This isn't me having another go at GNE, I'm just trying to stand back, trying to understand and analyse their services.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 9:23 am)Kuyoyo Don't you mean the 85? On Sundays, the 685 is split with Arriva only operating the Hexham-Newcastle section hourly as the 85, while Stagecoach operate Hexham-Carlisle as the 685 every 3 hours (with a 31 minute layover on each trip on 685, and a 27 minutes layover on the 85). So, the X84 doesn't have a leg to stand-on on Sundays really, 2 journeys each way vs an hourly service on more-or-less the same corridor, no contest.

Every time I've seen the service on Sundays (including this morning), the blind has said 685 Hexham. I know it is split, but I wasn't aware of any re-numbering of the service.

EDIT: The only place that seems to list the service as 85, is Arriva's website. Journey Planner, Nexus and the buses themselves all display 685 as normal, just showing Hexham as its terminus as opposed to Carlisle.

(08 Sep 2013, 9:35 am)Andreos1 I'm just trying to compare the Bishop Auckland to Hexham operations, following on from the comments above.

Bishop:
* Dedicated depot on hire to reduce costs.
* Reliant on pushing Buzzfare.
* 4 services launched in competition to Arriva.
* Limited service on Sundays.
* Cascaded vehicles, including second hand examples.

Hexham:
* Dedicated depot.
* Competing against train and 685.
* Several local services feeding into town centre with ongoing connections to neighbouring towns and Newcastle.
* Very limited service on Sundays on certain routes.
* Mixture of cascaded and brand new vehicles
servicing the town.

It is obvious where GNE are focusing their attention, investing more in the Tyne Valley, than down the road in the Wear Valley.
Hexham is a more prosperous area, with the weekday market attracting people from around the area as well as the commuters along the valley needing to get onto Tyneside.

However, like with the Coaster, I can't help feeling as though they have missed the boat so to speak with the x84/85.
The majority of people using the Hexham services at this time of year, will be residents living in the Hexham area.
If the X84/85 had been launched earlier in the year, then it could have found its feet perfectly with visitors and tourists wanting to go to Hexham over the summer, when the weather is nicer.
Needless to say, Sunday is an ideal day for people to do that - just not as autumn sets in...

From the other side of the coin, as we get closer to Christmas, the attraction may well be the Metrocentre and Newcastle, with loads increasing from Northumberland as they head onto Tyneside to do their shopping.

Touching on what Daniel was saying, the 74a probably won't have enough passengers to justify using a Scania and to be honest, I can't see the 7.24 X84 on a Sunday morning being too busy either.
As aureolin said, for the sake of 10mins, you can get a 10 and charge your phone up.

This isn't me having another go at GNE, I'm just trying to stand back, trying to understand and analyse their services.

Came in with no passengers this morning! :p
I expect the next one will come in with some, but I will update you all when it shows at half 12.

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 08 Sep 2013

I would say the reason the X84/85 weren't launched earlier is that they are commuter services and not aimed at taking twirlys to Hexham Market.

10 passengers on the X84 (MPD 557) pulling into Newcastle now.
Again blinded up for 74A!

Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 11:31 am)Daniel 10 passengers on the X84 (MPD 557) pulling into Newcastle now.
Again blinded up for 74A!

Was it late in?

(08 Sep 2013, 11:40 am)aureolin Was it late in?

557 was in about 3 mins late.
555 came in on the 74A about 15 mins late. Now sat dead in Eldon Sq until half 4.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 11:56 am)Daniel 557 was in about 3 mins late.
555 came in on the 74A about 15 mins late. Now sat dead in Eldon Sq until half 4.

What does the driver do for the rest of the day?

Picking up on a topic which was discussed a few months ago, re 'landing' fees for buses using Interchange facilities like Eldon Square, I wonder if they are charged for parking up too?

Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 12:20 pm)Andreos1 What does the driver do for the rest of the day?

Picking up on a topic which was discussed a few months ago, re 'landing' fees for buses using Interchange facilities like Eldon Square, I wonder if they are charged for parking up too?

That's what I was thinking. Unless they spend the day relieving others for breaks?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 7:34 am)Daniel Tynedale Links MPD 555 is on the 0830 74A departure from Newcastle, presumably meaning it worked the 0725 X84 service from Hexham.
Disappointing service launch...
It's not at all a service launch for Tynedale Express today. The Sunday X84 directly replaces the 684 the two runs of which which are really only vehicle positioning and crew change runs for the 74A which would otherwise have to run LT, so even though it's not much of a service any passengers are a bonus - and you wouldn't use a Scania when an MPD will be more than enough.

(08 Sep 2013, 6:04 pm)Greg in Weardale It's not at all a service launch for Tynedale Express today. The Sunday X84 directly replaces the 684 the two runs of which which are really only vehicle positioning and crew change runs for the 74A which would otherwise have to run LT, so even though it's not much of a service any passengers are a bonus - and you wouldn't use a Scania when an MPD will be more than enough.

Surely it would have been better for the 684 to be withdrawn today and the X84/X85 start tomorrow?
In my eyes, it has been launched because the first X84 service has commenced. If the service had started tomorrow rather than today, the service could have been launched with the Scanias and those passengers who travelled today (albeit only 10) wouldn't have seen an MPD on the first day of the new service.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 6:04 pm)Greg in Weardale It's not at all a service launch for Tynedale Express today. The Sunday X84 directly replaces the 684 the two runs of which which are really only vehicle positioning and crew change runs for the 74A which would otherwise have to run LT, so even though it's not much of a service any passengers are a bonus - and you wouldn't use a Scania when an MPD will be more than enough.

They advertised that the service was starting on the 8th of September, and it still comes under the Tynedale Express on a Sunday. At least according to the timetable it does. That being said, surely you use the right buses on the day the service launches? Whether it's a one off or not.

RE: Go North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 6:12 pm)aureolin They advertised that the service was starting on the 8th of September, and it still comes under the Tynedale Express on a Sunday. At least according to the timetable it does. That being said, surely you use the right buses on the day the service launches? Whether it's a one off or not.

You'll probably find it runs with MPDs every Sunday!

RE: Go North East - Latest - eezypeazy - 08 Sep 2013

... and if the Sunday X84 ran with the Scanias, wouldn't people on here complain that the Tynedale Links 74A was being run with the wrongly branded vehicles?

They are positioning journeys - better than having out of servce buses running about, surely?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 7:11 pm)eezypeazy ... and if the Sunday X84 ran with the Scanias, wouldn't people on here complain that the Tynedale Links 74A was being run with the wrongly branded vehicles?

They are positioning journeys - better than having out of servce buses running about, surely?

You're not promising Tynedale Links passengers free Wi-Fi. You are to Tynedale Express passengers, unless it's Sunday of course. Wink Hence my original point about people using the TEN rather than this on a Sunday, when the trip is 1h+.

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 7:11 pm)eezypeazy ... and if the Sunday X84 ran with the Scanias, wouldn't people on here complain that the Tynedale Links 74A was being run with the wrongly branded vehicles?

I think that when you live in rural Northumberland, you're more bothered about your two-hourly bus turning up, rather than what colour it is? From looking, I rarely see complaints about the 'Tynedale Links' services on the GNE Facebook page.

At the end of the day, if the X84 is ran with Scanias, the 74A will be run with the wrong vehicles. If the 74A is ran with MPDs, then the X84 will be run using the wrong vehicles.

(08 Sep 2013, 7:15 pm)aureolin You're not promising Tynedale Links passengers free Wi-Fi. You are to Tynedale Express passengers, unless it's Sunday of course. Wink Hence my original point about people using the TEN rather than this on a Sunday, when the trip is 1h+.

Daily commuters are promised free Wi-Fi if they are to purchase a weekly ticket. Some may even pay for that additional "bonus" if the X84 is suitable for their journey, as opposed to the 685.
I understand that running costs (fuel consumption) may be a little higher with the Scania as opposed to the MPD, but I do think it's a little irritating that an MPD is to be the Sunday allocation.
The 74A would see an upgrade from Euro 2/Euro 3 vehicles to Euro 4 vehicles with free Wi-Fi and the X84's promise would not be broken.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Deleted - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 7:21 pm)Daniel Daily commuters are promised free Wi-Fi if they are to purchase a weekly ticket.

Good point Daniel, commuters are not just Monday to Friday 9 till 5 workers so quite a few commuters will have Sunday in there working week.