North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1251)

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm)northtynelinks2 Why has that taken so long to get there? Seems strange, and im guessing the other missing 3 were there aswell?

The Christmas period was inevitably going to cause delays. It is perhaps why Wrights did not follow any sort of 'schedule' at all, with three or more vehicles arriving some days before Christmas - notably in a rather random order too.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm)citaro5284 Pretty powerful statement to put in the public domain. How do you justify this statement with over 14 million pound just recently spent on new vehicles?

I don't deny that they have invested a great deal in vehicles recently, (as have other companies to a certain extent) but the positive, vibrant approach of the company of a couple of years ago seems to have disappeared and the level of service they are providing now is declining bit by bit as the constant changes are nibbling away at the edges of many routes (as in the two examples I gave), hence less people will travel so more cuts will be made ..... This will continue as long as they keep looking at each individual journey rather than being determined to provide an overall service on each route including less popular journeys which are however an integral and essential part of that service. To provide a reasonable overall service, routes such as X3, X7 and X21 which may not justify an evening or Sunday operation and have an hourly or half hourly frequency during the day, should really have first journeys throughout arriving at each end by 0730/0745 and last journeys departing about 1830. Anything less than that is not really a service and recent changes have often cut routes below this acceptable level of service hence less passengers will travel.

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 12 Jan 2014

Greg, I have no idea what your agenda is. Were you denied employment? Were you fired? There's some obvious vitriol in your comments yet I cannot understand why.

Because GNE have cut unprofitable poorly used services you declare them to be in decline? Financial figures disagree. It seems very personal with you. I think you need to move into reality. The services you mention are poorly used, changing them won't make any more people use them.

The X3 is not and has never been a popular well used service. It has been cut. People need to accept this

RE: Go North East - Latest - park5354 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 4:50 pm)Dan I don't think so.

NL63XBZ is at Heysham today though:
[Image: Go%20North%20East%20NL63XBZ%20140112%20Heysham-L.jpg]

Photo credit to Malcolm Jones.

wonder if wrights will correct the rear destination before it leaves Heysham.

(12 Jan 2014, 7:37 pm)CatsFast101 On another note does anyone think it might be nice for all the route maps to be designed similar to the way they are the bus briefings?

Oh yes, I'd love that.
Think the only disadvantage would be when it comes to long services which cross multiple zone boundaries, it could be hard to make.
(12 Jan 2014, 7:39 pm)park5354 wonder if wrights will correct the rear destination before it leaves Heysham.

You'd have expected them to do it before it arrived at Heysham whilst on the production line, but nope!

Expect it'll be delivered like that and sorted when here.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 7:37 pm)CatsFast101 Ah okay, I've seen it there now, looks a little out of place on the page- could be smaller.

On another note does anyone think it might be nice for all the route maps to be designed similar to the way they are the bus briefings?

Yes! Arriva do this and it's a good reference if you're unfamiliar with a route. e.g. http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedfiles/Services/North_East/nedu24,24X_271013_020913m.pdf

RE: Go North East - Latest - park5354 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 2:52 pm)Tom Suppose so!

Well, bar the Deptford ones, these are the SPD's that need replacing:

8220 - Winlaton
8221 - Stanley
8229 - Gateshead
8236 - Chester-le-Street
8237 - Chester-le-Street
8238 - Chester-le-Street (Can't 4944 just be it's replacement?)
8239 - Percy Main
8241 - Percy Main

probably keep 4926-31 at Chester as replacements for 8236, 8237, 8238 and 8289, allowing 4944 to replace 8229 at Gateshead. Wonder if 4911 will replace 8220 at Winlaton.

(12 Jan 2014, 7:41 pm)ADLEnviro After reading comments about two of the major operators in our area I've did a little research and have come to the following on fleet replacment.

As a lot of people seem to think GNEs fleet replacement is massive compared to SNEs the figure's actually show something else.

Over the last 10 years the new vehicles entering the fleet are.

Go North East 357
Stagecoach North East 355

So SNE has a much higher percentage of fleet renewal over the last 10 years than GNE dose.

Anybody fancy doing Arriva????

In the past ten years (vehicle new in 2003-2013), Arriva have 338 vehicles - providing NEB's fleet lists are correct, that is.

Will those figures be as close by the end of 2015 though, do you think? You've got 160+ vehicles from GNE - will ANE/SNE match that? I'll be impressed if so, and very surprised.

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 7:41 pm)ADLEnviro After reading comments about two of the major operators in our area I've did a little research and have come to the following on fleet replacment.

As a lot of people seem to think GNEs fleet replacement is massive compared to SNEs the figure's actually show something else.

Over the last 10 years the new vehicles entering the fleet are.

Go North East 357
Stagecoach North East 355

So SNE has a much higher percentage of fleet renewal over the last 10 years than GNE dose.

Anybody fancy doing Arriva????

I think GNE are excellent at telling us about what they are doing, hence the perception.

May sound silly but having a corporate set livery as Stagecoach does can see new buses slip by the general public as they don't look any different (to a degree) to the old bus. Same livery, nicer seats inside as opposed to the fanfare around The Purple Pumper or whatever GNE brands something

(12 Jan 2014, 7:46 pm)Dan In the past ten years (vehicle new in 2003-2013), Arriva have 338 vehicles - providing NEB's fleet lists are correct, that is.

Will those figures be as close by the end of 2015 though, do you think? You've got 160+ vehicles from GNE - will ANE/SNE match that? I'll be impressed if so, and very surprised.

For the record, vehicles new between 2003-2013, according to NEB's fleet lists (obviously includes second hand purchases and the coaches in GNE's case):

ANE: 338 new vehicles between 2003-2013
GNE: 451 new vehicles between 2003-2013
SNE: 396 new vehicles between 2003-2013 (including the 17 gas buses purchased last year)

Suddenly not as close as I had previously thought using your figures for GNE/SNE, and I suspect the gap will get even bigger by the end of 2015. Ample opportunity to catch up from 2016 onwards though, as I expect it'll only be one or two batches of vehicles for a branded service rather than huge replacement schemes such as the ones GNE are currently undergoing.

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 7:39 pm)aureolin Never seen it before, but it's cracking value for money. Certainly saves buying a 2 zone Buzzfare if you're happy to just use the East Durham buses instead.

It is very good value for money like. I've used them before many a time (only don't Incase I'm out late and need to get a 60/20 or something after the East Durham buses stop) but if you're going from Seaham to Durham to Peterlee etc. it saves you getting a costly 3 Zone buzzfare.

(12 Jan 2014, 7:47 pm)gtomlinson I think GNE are excellent at telling us about what they are doing, hence the perception.

May sound silly but having a corporate set livery as Stagecoach does can see new buses slip by the general public as they don't look any different (to a degree) to the old bus. Same livery, nicer seats inside as opposed to the fanfare around The Purple Pumper or whatever GNE brands something

Exactly this. GNE are very good when it comes to interacting with their customers, and the other two let themselves down here.

Does anyone think that anyone outside of the enthusiast community are aware that Stagecoach purchased 20+ new Enviro 200s for Sunderland last year? I doubt it. GNE buy 11 new Citaros for the M1, rebrand it as the 4, and everyone knows about it.

(12 Jan 2014, 7:54 pm)aureolin Exactly this. GNE are very good when it comes to interacting with their customers, and the other two let themselves down here.

Does anyone think that anyone outside of the enthusiast community are aware that Stagecoach purchased 20+ new Enviro 200s for Sunderland last year? I doubt it. GNE buy 11 new Citaros for the M1, rebrand it as the 4, and everyone knows about it.

How effective do you think advertising on buses is? As far as I know, the only interaction with passengers in regards to the new E200s at Sunderland was via advertising boards on the sides of the buses:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nerbp/11312099894/

If I wasn't told about it getting done, I wouldn't have noticed them... If I'm an enthusiast who looks at buses, I can't imagine Betty or Tom to notice them either.

Go North East had a massive amount of promotion for each brand, the coffee wagon was out almost every day ( Rolleyes ) and I feel GNE made an effort to communicate with their passengers that they would see new buses out in service. No doubt we can expect a few more chocolate bars to be handed out when it comes to the #Fab56 promotion too. Tongue

(12 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm)Dan How effective do you think advertising on buses is? As far as I know, the only interaction with passengers in regards to the new E200s at Sunderland was via advertising boards on the sides of the buses:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nerbp/11312099894/

If I wasn't told about it getting done, I wouldn't have noticed them... If I'm an enthusiast who looks at buses, I can't imagine Betty or Tom to notice them either.

If that's the only way they advertised it, they may as well not have bothered. That advert blends into the livery too much therefore doesn't catch your eye.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 8:06 pm)aureolin If that's the only way they advertised it, they may as well not have bothered. That advert blends into the livery too much therefore doesn't catch your eye.

Might not be much for advertisement but the gas buses will have a big advertisement launch, they will also be a different colour from the Enviro's, think someone mentioned their will be a open depot day for it?

I can see them being in the Sunderland echo to.

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 7:39 pm)park5354 wonder if wrights will correct the rear destination before it leaves Heysham.

No, all going to be done at GNE

(12 Jan 2014, 8:11 pm)Michael Might not be much for advertisement but the gas buses will have a big advertisement launch, they will also be a different colour from the Enviro's, think someone mentioned their will be a open depot day for it?

I can see them being in the Sunderland echo to.

I do think the gas buses will have a proper launch, but I still don't see it being as great as GNE's advertising. Their advertising budget must be huge - if anyone's actually been to one of the events, you often do get a feel for how much money has been spent on the promotional items present.

Do you think many members of the public will go to a bus depot to see some brand new buses? The Open Day will most likely be aimed at enthusiasts and will in part celebrate the launch of the gas buses, but I think it's most likely to combat requests from enthusiasts to take photographs inside of the bus depot areas.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Davey Bowyer - 12 Jan 2014

I think that when the new B9TL'S launch on the 309, a good bit of marketing wouldn't go a miss. I've seen people stood there at Haymarket when the 308 has been late and the 309 turns up on time, but the first thing people say is, "but it goes all the way around Cobalt". OK, maybe it does but in a realistic perspective, it's only slower than the 308 by about 5 mins or so. GNE not only need to promote the slight difference in journey time and the little extras you get with the 309, but also the £13.60 weekly ticket needs promoting as well as the fact that you only need to buy 2 zones to get to the Metro Centre from Northumberland and One Zone from North Tyneside.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 8:14 pm)Dan I do think the gas buses will have a proper launch, but I still don't see it being as great as GNE's advertising. Their advertising budget must be huge - if anyone's actually been to one of the events, you often do get a feel for how much money has been spent on the promotional items present.

Do you think many members of the public will go to a bus depot to see some brand new buses? The Open Day will most likely be aimed at enthusiasts and will in part celebrate the launch of the gas buses, but I think it's most likely to combat requests from enthusiasts to take photographs inside of the bus depot areas.

Hopefully would be nice to see people other than enthusiasts their, im not sure if i want to go yet, i never take pictures anyway

(12 Jan 2014, 8:18 pm)Michael Hopefully would be nice to see people other than enthusiasts their, im not sure if i want to go yet, i never take pictures anyway

Certainly would be nice.

People of all ages turn up at Lothian's annual Open Doors event, and it's like people go as a family to entertain the kids on a Saturday afternoon.

Lothian is a company which never fails to communicate with passengers though. Their online presence is great too - I've seen many posts on their Social Media pages which have been incredibly friendly. Not robotic in the slightest.