North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1251)

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 12:18 pm)Dan I believe it's still in Cobalt livery.

No further movements from Deptford as of yet.

Think it's 150.

With not being down Handy Drive since my Costco card expired a few years back, I haven't seen the layout etc of the depot.

Is the 150 the approved limit registered with VOSA, just internal space or is there scope to store vehicles outside (but within depot grounds) like happens at Sunderland Road, Washington etc

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 12:50 pm)andreos1 With not being down Handy Drive since my Costco card expired a few years back, I haven't seen the layout etc of the depot.

Is the 150 the approved limit registered with VOSA, just internal space or is there scope to store vehicles outside (but within depot grounds) like happens at Sunderland Road, Washington etc

You can see photos of the entire depot (and offices) here.

I think the buses will all be stored outside, in the massive space as shown below:
[Image: 12017871426_dc5e390a75_z.jpg]

RE: Go North East - Latest - Diamond One - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm)Dan You can see photos of the entire depot (and offices) here.

I think the buses will all be stored outside, in the massive space as shown below:

this new depot reminds me alot of Deptford it is huge and when i see it on New Years Day when SAFC are playing at home it is totally full to the bone canny good depot but now i wonder which is bigger Handy Drive Depot or Deptford

(19 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm)Dan You can see photos of the entire depot (and offices) here.

Cheers.
Very surprised at the lack of internal storage, away from the pits.
Obviously cheaper for GNE to construct the site in this way, but in turn leaves the majority (if not all) vehicles open to the elements.
Thought there would be some sort of internal garaging.

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 1:47 pm)andreos1 Cheers.
Very surprised at the lack of internal storage, away from the pits.
Obviously cheaper for GNE to construct the site in this way, but in turn leaves the majority (if not all) vehicles open to the elements.
Thought there would be some sort of internal garaging.

There is not really any pits, the vehicles, as Dan shows drive in and they can either be worked on at ground level or elevated up. There is plenty of storage trust me, it is just you cannot see it. A couple of pictures that Dan took, from where he was standing above is the storage area (which Dan will say, is pretty big), then apart from there, there are other areas dedicated for certain items (like tyres).

Most bus depots now are constructed like this, not just GNE. Oxford Bus Company's depot is the same, not just cheaper for construction, but the more building you have the more the local council wants from you.

Compared to what they have now, it is a vast improvement, and as always you cannot please all the people all of the time and some just like to pull everything apart!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 2:15 pm)citaro5284 There is not really any pits, the vehicles, as Dan shows drive in and they can either be worked on at ground level or elevated up. There is plenty of storage trust me, it is just you cannot see it. A couple of pictures that Dan took, from where he was standing above is the storage area (which Dan will say, is pretty big), then apart from there, there are other areas dedicated for certain items (like tyres).

Most bus depots now are constructed like this, not just GNE. Oxford Bus Company's depot is the same, not just cheaper for construction, but the more building you have the more the local council wants from you.

Compared to what they have now, it is a vast improvement, and as always you cannot please all the people all of the time and some just like to pull everything apart!

I really like it, at first when it was getting built it didn't look as big as i thought it was going to be, now its completed it's massive, it looks really advanced to, hopefully all of GNE new depots are built like this in the future... that's if that ever happens.

Should be a good investment.

How is the route learning happening, with quite a few new routes for drivers - are they busy doing that now?

(19 Jan 2014, 2:23 pm)Michael How is the route learning happening, with quite a few new routes for drivers - are they busy doing that now?

That's what 547 was being used for yesterday! Tongue

(19 Jan 2014, 2:27 pm)Dan That's what 547 was being used for yesterday! Tongue

Ohhh Tongue

(19 Jan 2014, 2:28 pm)Michael Ohhh Tongue

A group of drivers were in a B10BLE learning 49s too. Getting plenty of practice in!

(19 Jan 2014, 2:15 pm)citaro5284 There is not really any pits, the vehicles, as Dan shows drive in and they can either be worked on at ground level or elevated up. There is plenty of storage trust me, it is just you cannot see it. A couple of pictures that Dan took, from where he was standing above is the storage area (which Dan will say, is pretty big), then apart from there, there are other areas dedicated for certain items (like tyres).

Who has pulled everything apart like?
Haven't seen any comments on here from any of the members pulling anything apart?

I agree, there will be advantages in a number of areas to what exists now - the only thing I questioned/commented on was the fact the majority of buses will be kept outside in the elements - regardless whether this is a common design in the industry or not.

(19 Jan 2014, 2:30 pm)Dan A group of drivers were in a B10BLE learning 49s too. Getting plenty of practice in!

Nothing worse... we have the route change to, so that will be included in the tour Tongue

Wonder which depots will be next to get a new one..

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 2:44 pm)Michael Nothing worse... we have the route change to, so that will be included in the tour Tongue

Wonder which depots will be next to get a new one..

You'd think Chester would be due a revamp. Ripe for housing/development that site.

(19 Jan 2014, 3:44 pm)gtomlinson You'd think Chester would be due a revamp. Ripe for housing/development that site.

I do think, when the time comes, the next super depot would be Chester and Washington.

RE: Go North East - Latest - northtynelinks2 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 3:46 pm)Dan I do think, when the time comes, the next super depot would be Chester and Washington.
And possibly Stanley. If you ever go past carcraft at Birtley there is hardly any cars parked outside compared to what the used to be, it would be great if they were quick and got the land 2nd time lucky. If carcraft were to move of course.

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 3:46 pm)Dan I do think, when the time comes, the next super depot would be Chester and Washington.

Yeah totally agree with that. Chester and Washington will both benefit from combining the two depots.
That would, leave three super depots each with a low cost unit;
Gateshead Riverside and Saltmeadows
Sunderland Deptford and Peterlee
Chester Washington and Crook.

Then two other normal depots,
Percy Main
Stanley (which I'd combine with Consett tbh)

(19 Jan 2014, 3:59 pm)northtynelinks2 And possibly Stanley. If you ever go past carcraft at Birtley there is hardly any cars parked outside compared to what the used to be, it would be great if they were quick and got the land 2nd time lucky. If carcraft were to move of course.

Do think Stanley's Newcastle ops would move to Riverside and other ops to the Washington/CLS one.

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 4:02 pm)Dan Do think Stanley's Newcastle ops would move to Riverside and other ops to the Washington/CLS one.

Services are bad enough round Stanley way without losing the depot as there been no presence at the end if the routes.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 19 Jan 2014

Man you guys must be mind readers or something, as on Friday when out on my Bike I think found great spot for a New Depot for Chester le Street/Washington, But I forgot to Mention it due to being tired etc, Then I seen Daniels Photos at Riverside and jogged my Memory, In the attachment below I have outlined where the New Site would be along with the 2 Current Depots in which it will replace.

Now Although on the Attachment it may not look all that Big for a New Bus Depot to be situated, but when riding past it on Friday it is quite a Big Plot of Land, Plus it is in a Very Handy spot at the Bottom of the Motorway would allow for quick and easy access for Services operating in the Washington Area, which can either go up the Motorway or Alternatively through Picktree Village for example if the M2/M3 are Starting at Birtley/Ayton on a Morning etc.

[attachment=5170]

(19 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm)CatsFast101 Services are bad enough round Stanley way without losing the depot as there been no presence at the end if the routes.

Ultimately would be a cost-cutting exercise, I guess. It is unbelievably rare to see other depots covering a certain depot's service anyway - just how often do you see Gateshead covering Stanley breakdowns if/when they occur in the Newcastle area?

Hexham is a right mess. You can see it rotting. Only a matter of time before that one has to go.

Ye it seems the best idea to merge chester and washington first.

Adam that seems a good area for the next super depot for washington and chester, if it happens.