North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=1529)

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - Dan - 12 Jul 2015

(12 Jul 2015, 5:03 pm)Michael Gone quite fast, which Orbit ones are left?

8332, 8335 and 8337 remain to be repainted out of the "Orbit" branded examples. Paired with 8328 and 8329, this will keep Saltmeadows busy for the next two weeks, and all vehicles will be repainted in time for the service changes commencing Sunday 26th July.

I will update our fleet lists after I publish the news this evening.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - Michael - 12 Jul 2015

(12 Jul 2015, 5:05 pm)Dan 8332, 8335 and 8337 remain to be repainted out of the "Orbit" branded examples. Paired with 8328 and 8329, this will keep Saltmeadows busy for the next two weeks, and all vehicles will be repainted in time for the service changes commencing Sunday 26th July.

They seem to of done them quite fast along with branding them. 

Bazza will be pleased that the news is going to be posted this evening!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - cbma06 - 12 Jul 2015

If anybody wants to keep tabs on the traffic flow on Milburngate Bridge etc..., then you can follow this link, updated every minute:

http://www.durham.gov.uk/article/6132/Durham-City-traffic-cameras

http://www.durham.gov.uk/milburngatebridge

doesn't start until 8pm tonight

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - Jackamcardle - 12 Jul 2015

Any sign of the Streetdeck yet? I'm sure someone said it was due on the 4th July.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - citaro5284 - 12 Jul 2015

(12 Jul 2015, 5:40 pm)Jackamcardle Any sign of the Streetdeck yet? I'm sure someone said it was due on the 4th July.

It has been delayed at GSC, will be here once the accident damage has been fixed.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - S813 FVK - 12 Jul 2015

(12 Jul 2015, 5:05 pm)Dan 8332, 8335 and 8337 remain to be repainted out of the "Orbit" branded examples. Paired with 8328 and 8329, this will keep Saltmeadows busy for the next two weeks, and all vehicles will be repainted in time for the service changes commencing Sunday 26th July.

Speaking of the news, I have noticed the new message - much better than the older one.

(12 Jul 2015, 5:49 pm)S813 FVK Speaking of the news, I have noticed the new message - much better than the older one.

Yeah, the old message was getting on my nerves (especially as "apologise" was spelled incorrectly). I usually leave all of the "behind the scenes" stuff to Liam, but when needs must...  Angel

He'll crack on with my request quicker next time, haha!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - S813 FVK - 12 Jul 2015

(12 Jul 2015, 2:31 pm)Malarkey 8310 (NK10 GNY) has received Quaylink (Green) Branding for the Q3, and 8316 (NK10 GOJ) has received the (Purple) Variation for the Q1/Q2.

8310:

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - Davie - 12 Jul 2015

5161's number is on the 'Wrong side'. https://flic.kr/p/uXo5Qs I forgot to mention that yesterday

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - Diamond One - 12 Jul 2015

(12 Jul 2015, 5:26 pm)Michael They seem to of done them quite fast along with branding them. 

Bazza will be pleased that the news is going to be posted this evening!
always am gonna check around 9ish tonight but first might watch a few DVDs or check Criminal Case stuff

(12 Jul 2015, 6:16 pm)Davie 5161's number is on the 'Wrong side'.  https://flic.kr/p/uXo5Qs  I forgot to mention that yesterday

Very annoying. No point in fiddling around with the switch setting if it only has a few months left in the fleet (providing it isn't going to be modified to meed DDA standards).

(12 Jul 2015, 6:16 pm)Davie 5161's number is on the 'Wrong side'.  https://flic.kr/p/uXo5Qs  I forgot to mention that yesterday

I think they've done anything possible to get the destinations working, to be honest, Davie.

As Deptford have no dual-door Volvo B10BLEs, their destination programme doesn't have this size destination in their programme. 5161 appears to have been set up as a full-size rear display, and 5162 appears to have been set up as a normal size front display (which is why it's quite squashed).

When DDA regulations come into fruition on single decks at the end of this year, we can't have them going round with the route numbers on the wrong side of the display, which is why I am working on doing something which means the switch settings will not have to be touched when the bus transfers from one depot to another. Sadly this sort of thing takes time!

(12 Jul 2015, 6:19 pm)Dan As Deptford have no dual-door Volvo B10BLEs, their destination programme doesn't have this size destination in their programme. 5161 appears to have been set up as a full-size rear display, and 5162 appears to have been set up as a normal size front display (which is why it's quite squashed).

Are they not the same as the single door renowns only with 2 doors? Obviously not i suppose with you saying what i have quoted but it sounds quite peculiar.

(12 Jul 2015, 6:22 pm)S813 FVK Are they not the same as the single door renowns only with 2 doors? Obviously not i suppose with you saying what i have quoted but it sounds quite peculiar.

No - life would be a lot easier if they did!

Most vehicles with front LED destinations have the standard 144x19 size, but there are still a large number of vehicles in the fleet with other sizes of destination display. Off the top of my head...
  • 144x19 Colour Route Number - found on many vehicles in the fleet; including Scania L94s, Volvo B9TLs, etc.
  • 160x19 - found on the ex-Brighton & Hove Scania OmniDekkas
  • 160x19 Colour Route Number - found on many vehicles in the fleet; including Mercedes Citaros and Scania OmniCities.
  • 160x17 - found on the ex-Oxford Volvo B10BLEs.
We have three different sizes of LED destinations for sides:
  • 96x8 - standard size, used on most vehicles in the fleet.
  • 128x17 - the same size in the rear of vehicles with full sized destinations, found in the ex-Brighton & Hove Scania OmniDekkas.
  • 96x15(?) - used on some of the ex-Oxford Volvo B10BLEs, including the "Fab57" branded examples.
Similarly, with the rears:
  • 128x17 - standard size for full-size rears, found on many vehicles in the fleet.
  • 32x17 - standard size for 'square' rears, found on many vehicles in the fleet.
  • 160x24 - the smaller sized full-size rear, found on Venture Solo SRs and Citylink Versas.
  • 96x17(?) - the smaller sized full-size rear, found on the Scania OmniCitys.
  • 96x15(?) - used on some of the ex-Oxford Volvo B10BLEs, including the "Fab57" branded examples.
...then of course you have the buses with a mixed variety of LED & flipdot, and those purely with flipdot.

At present, each one of those different size destinations is a different sign in a depot's LED destination programme. Most bus operators use switch settings on the displays so that it knows which sign to look at in the programme, but we are now moving down the route of profiling, which means all switch settings are set to 0 (front), 1 (side) and 2 (rear) universally and we set a profile up in the programme to match up switch setting 0 to sign 4 in the programme (as an example). These are all being set up the same across all depots, meaning that nothing has to be changed when a bus moves from one depot to another.

You may think playing on HELEN is fun when you're only messing around with one sign or two, but when you're doing about 20 different signs in total for a fleet of 600 buses, different story... Tongue

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - citaro5284 - 12 Jul 2015

And anyone who says destinations are easy.....line up and I will shoot you one by one Tongue

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015 - R852 PRG - 12 Jul 2015

(12 Jul 2015, 6:46 pm)citaro5284 And anyone who says destinations are easy.....line up and I will shoot you one by one Tongue

Destinations are easy... *runs away* Big Grin

I am not going to quote your whole post - too big.

I can sum up your post in one word: complicated. It is a shame that when you click on 'super X' on helen, none of the font changes come up and is instead just the standard hanover font.

(12 Jul 2015, 6:49 pm)S813 FVK I am not going to quote your whole post - too big.

I can sum up your post in one word: complicated. It is a shame that when you click on 'super X' on helen, none of the font changes come up and is instead just the standard hanover font.

Each 'box' you can type in is a colour - red, yellow and blue (if I remember rightly). Towards the bottom right of the screen, there are three ticky boxes which are coloured and say 'fix'. If you tick these for the appropriate coloured box you've used a non-standard font for, the font changes will remain. This is how we use Arial route numbers now.

But yes, very complicated and very time-consuming. I envy those at Arriva and Stagecoach who don't have all of the different destination display variations, that's for sure! You can appreciate that this is why Go North East seem to have more issues with route numbers appearing on the wrong side of the display, compared to other operators...

You can go into robotic mode when you're doing lots of changes to a programme for service revisions, but you just have to make sure you've got your spellings right before you start copying and pasting! I tend to type all of my destinations up on Microsoft Excel first as it's easier to see all of the destinations in a spreadsheet, then copy and paste after that.

(12 Jul 2015, 6:48 pm)R852 PRG Destinations are easy... *runs away* Big Grin

Remember there is a lake.........

(12 Jul 2015, 6:46 pm)citaro5284 And anyone who says destinations are easy.....line up and I will shoot you one by one Tongue

And then there is the destinations codes linking into the Next Stop Annoucements on top of this as well.