North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=1557)

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - R852 PRG - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 4:54 pm)MurdnunoC You haven't been editing online encyclopaedia articles relating to the pastime of 'Trainspotting', have you?  Wink

Big Grin

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - R852 PRG - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 4:55 pm)Michael Another bus i haven't being on yet.

Get yourself up to the Lothian Buses Doors Open Day at the end of September.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Michael - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 4:56 pm)R852 PRG Get yourself up to the Lothian Buses Doors Open Day at the end of September.

All depends when my student loan comes through, they're behind... like last year....

I have money to last until, hopefully end of September but want to keep in case of an emergency.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - jaimzm - 27 Aug 2015

I was on the new Volvo today 9108 it's very good bus well impressed I hope they get a load of these and replace the Scania L94s

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Dan - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 5:49 pm)jaimzm I was on the new Volvo today 9108 it's very good bus well impressed I hope they get a load of these and replace the Scania L94s

I decided to sample the demonstrator from Stadium of Light Metro to Houghton-le-Spring, given that the A690 / Durham Road & Houghton Cut stretch of the route is quite demanding which requires the bus to go flat out. It was also a good test, given that the buses between 16:00 and 18:00 are often fully-laden.

As I'd been speaking to the driver, I was on the seat just behind the cab for the duration of my journey. I discovered yesterday that there are three steps in total to climb as you navigate your way up the gangway, and the rearmost seats are located just above another step (just like Stagecoach's Scania gas buses in Sunderland), meaning that you really do have to duck down if you'd like to sit here. However, the seat behind the driver was perfectly comfortable as it had plenty of legroom.

I could barely hear the engine, and actually riding it gave a slightly different perspective to what it sounds like (although my opinion largely remains the same: it sounds almost Hybrid-like, as it's so quiet). Very few rattles, and a smooth ride indeed. Completely different to the usual Scania L94s on this route which do rattle like hell towards the front of the bus.

However, with any good, there's always a bad. With a full load; the max speed was around 45mph, which did impact on time-keeping somewhat. From a passenger perspective, it felt like it was flying up any sort of bank, but the driver said that a top speed of 45mph was not suitable for that route. Worth noting that most of the Scanias on this route usually get to around 52mph on the Houghton Cut stretch, so quite a big difference. It'd be interesting to see what a Streetlite would get to, given that they're limited to 50mph anyway... I've used the Streetlites on the 8/78 with a full load, and they seem to fly about everywhere, but I suppose speed can be quite deceiving.

Interesting statistics on capacity:
- 45 seated, 50 standing, 0 wheelchairs
- 39 seated, 61 standing, 0 wheelchairs
- 39 seated, 53 standing, 1 wheelchairs

All in all a very good ride though. Probably won't be long before the rattles start, though, as the Streetlites were almost rattle-free when they were new too.

Another shot of 9108 - basking in the sun this time and looking resplendent:
[Image: 20930886405_b1cb9399cb.jpg]Go North East: 9108 / BA15BXS by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

The new dash:

[Image: 20930883125_2190eb10c8.jpg]Go North East: 9108 / BA15BXS by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - MurdnunoC - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 6:38 pm)Dan Interesting statistics on capacity:
- 45 seated, 50 standing, 0 wheelchairs
- 39 seated, 61 standing, 0 wheelchairs
- 39 seated, 53 standing, 1 wheelchairs

Wouldn't like to be on a bus standing with 60 other passengers like. I imagine it would be cramped and rather unpleasant.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Dan - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 6:44 pm)MurdnunoC Wouldn't like to be on a bus standing with 60 other passengers like. I imagine it would be cramped and rather unpleasant.

Agreed. The fact 1 wheelchair equates to 8 standees is crackers... Total capacity of 100 is completely unrealistic if you ask me.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Adrian - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 6:44 pm)MurdnunoC Wouldn't like to be on a bus standing with 60 other passengers like. I imagine it would be cramped and rather unpleasant.

It's a bit like those lifts that state they're for 16 people, and you start to get a bit nervous when a 5th person jumps in... Tongue

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Michael - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 6:47 pm)Dan Agreed. The fact 1 wheelchair equates to 8 standees is crackers... Total capacity of 100 is completely unrealistic if you ask me.

61 standing... haha 

Why can't they be realistic.

(27 Aug 2015, 6:47 pm)aureolin It's a bit like those lifts that state they're for 16 people, and you start to get a bit nervous when a 5th person jumps in... Tongue

Happens every time. Big Grin The lifts in Covent Garden tube station (with the staircase to heaven as the alternative way of reaching ground level) are a nightmare. Couldn't tell left from right!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - MurdnunoC - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 6:47 pm)aureolin It's a bit like those lifts that state they're for 16 people, and you start to get a bit nervous when a 5th person jumps in... Tongue

It's quite funny watching how people react in a situation like that. I'm quite heavy, so I usually get a few looks when I jump into a crowded lift. However, I like to live dangerously... Tongue

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Jimmi - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 6:47 pm)Dan Agreed. The fact 1 wheelchair equates to 8 standees is crackers... Total capacity of 100 is completely unrealistic if you ask me.

Can only assume they must think every passenger who boards that bus are going to be as skinny as rakes. You may only board this bus if you can fit into Topman/Topshop clothing

Possibly the largest stated capacity I've seen on a single decker are the Sapphire 7 Pulsars which I think have a overall capacity of 73 (most other ANE Pulsars max capacity is 72 I think) and this demonstrator looks to be pretty similar size to the Pulsars so how you can fit an extra 27 people on-board is beyond me!

It could just be something to do with Wrights products nowadays. The Streetlites have had their legroom compromised for the sake of an extra few seats so they could make it to highest seating capacity vehicle on the market. God knows how you can fit 100 people on one bus.

(27 Aug 2015, 7:01 pm)Jimmi Can only assume they must think every passenger who boards that bus are going to be as skinny as rakes. You may only board this bus if you can fit into Topman/Topshop clothing

Possibly the largest stated capacity I've seen on a single decker are the Sapphire 7 Pulsars which I think have a overall capacity of 73 (most other ANE Pulsars max capacity is 72 I think) and this demonstrator looks to be pretty similar size to the Pulsars so how you can fit an extra 27 people on-board is beyond me!

[Image: http://collegetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/overcrowded_bus.jpg]

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - BusLoverMum - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 4:48 pm)aureolin Speaking of Streetlites, I've noticed from my trips over the past week that they've sharp developed really bad rattles. I was sat at the emergency door seat on an 8 last night, and I had to keep my knee pushed between the door because the rattling was that bad. The one I had the other night was a similar story, with one of the seats further forward vigorously rattling every time the bus hit a bump.

The arriva Streetlites were rattly from day one but some of the fire doors are getting worse with wear. 1599 is particularly loud - big'un, like you, held his hand on it to try and soften the noise, last time he had the misfortune to sit next to the fire door.

Even if the fire doors were quieter, all the caging around the driver's seat is just as bad.

It'll be interesting to see how the internal panelling on all the newer Wright bodied buses holds out as that on the older Pulsars we used to get (mostly NK61 CY_ ) was coming apart in places and that did rattle badly.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - BusLoverMum - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 7:06 pm)R852 PRG [Image: http://collegetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/overcrowded_bus.jpg]

Nice pic of the X7, there.

That's one of those things that big'un queries every time we get in a lift. The one at the side of Debenhams in Boro is the best - supposedly holds 12 people but fits 4, very intimately.

My betting is that the numbers are made up according to how many hanging straps there are (didn't notice any from the pictures but will have to have a hunt around). of course, some of us couldn't even reach those straps when we were younger and could raise our arms above our heads.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - NK53 TKT - 27 Aug 2015

(27 Aug 2015, 7:44 pm)BusLoverMum That's one of those things that big'un queries every time we get in a lift. The one at the side of Debenhams in Boro is the best - supposedly holds 12 people but fits 4, very intimately.

My betting is that the numbers are made up according to how many hanging straps there are (didn't notice any from the pictures but will have to have a hunt around). of course, some of us couldn't even reach those straps when we were younger and could raise our arms above our heads.

Those lifts are stupid

Dan going back to your journey on the B8RLE...Do they not offer a engine etc with a better top speed than 45mph with a full load?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - South Tyne Lad - 27 Aug 2015

[quote='Dan' pid='125471' dateline='1440700717']
However, with any good, there's always a bad. With a full load; the max speed was around 45mph, which did impact on time-keeping somewhat. From a passenger perspective, it felt like it was flying up any sort of bank, but the driver said that a top speed of 45mph was not suitable for that route. Worth noting that most of the Scanias on this route usually get to around 52mph on the Houghton Cut stretch, so quite a big difference. It'd be interesting to see what a Streetlite would get to, given that they're limited to 50mph anyway... I've used the Streetlites on the 8/78 with a full load, and they seem to fly about everywhere, but I suppose speed can be quite deceiving.

Its not permanently restricted to 45mph,  In all new Volvo Buses there is a set limiter where I believe its located somewhere on the dash. from there you can set the limiter from example 15mph up with the maximum confirmed by Volvo speed is 60mph on the B8RLE so you just need to adjust the limiter to the maximum 60mph to get the full out of this High Quality vehicle.