North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=1588)

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - Davie - 08 Sep 2015

4933 Has been repainted

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - S813 FVK - 08 Sep 2015

5148 has definitely been withdrawn - now in storage at Saltmeadows:

[Image: 20607911543_85e64a1695.jpg]V534 GDS Go North East by gavin bone, on Flickr

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - R852 PRG - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 3:24 pm)S813 FVK 5148 has definitely been withdrawn - now in storage at Saltmeadows:

[Image: 20607911543_85e64a1695.jpg]V534 GDS Go North East by gavin  bone, on Flickr

Was on the withdrawn/VOR line at Riverside on Saturday: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@N02/21170146555/in/dateposted-public/

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - citaro5284 - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 3:48 pm)R852 PRG Was on the withdrawn/VOR line at Riverside on Saturday: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@N02/21170146555/in/dateposted-public/

Aye, think I mentioned it last week.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - S813 FVK - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 3:53 pm)citaro5284 Aye, think I mentioned it last week.

You did. I just posted the picture because it was there.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - RM2186 - 08 Sep 2015

NSA and screen not working on 5370 Drifter

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - cbma06 - 08 Sep 2015

whens the next stop announcements going to be installed on the indigo solos, my head was battered in with the next stop announcements on service 78 between sunderland and Chester-Le-Street and also on the Arriva 24 e400 from Durham to Peterlee today, don't know how passengers put up with it, I understand if the next stop announcements just came on at main stops along the route or points of interest.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - R852 PRG - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 5:24 pm)cbma06 whens the next stop announcements going to be installed on the indigo solos, my head was battered in with the next stop announcements on service 78 between sunderland and Chester-Le-Street and also on the Arriva 24 e400 from Durham to Peterlee today, don't know how passengers put up with it, I understand if the next stop announcements just came on at main stops along the route or points of interest.

I don't understand the issue with the announcements on the ''Coast & Country''? It's a simple announcement and in a clear voice, much better than the Steve & Karen announcements.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - citaro5284 - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 5:24 pm)cbma06 whens the next stop announcements going to be installed on the indigo solos, my head was battered in with the next stop announcements on service 78 between sunderland and Chester-Le-Street and also on the Arriva 24 e400 from Durham to Peterlee today, don't know how passengers put up with it, I understand if the next stop announcements just came on at main stops along the route or points of interest.

Soon.  What would be the point if it was just the main stops, people with eyesight problems can get off at any stop, so they need to know where they are.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - Adrian - 08 Sep 2015

Really? I think they're much better, now that they're clutter free - i.e. none of this 'stay seated' stuff every announce.  

I've done the 8/78 a number of times since they were switched on, and I'd say they're pretty much spot on. The volume is just right, and I find the LED display a lot more visible from the rear of the bus. For me though, it doesn't go far enough, and I'd much prefer that they both announced the next stop, but also the stop that the bus is currently at. The screens do it already, but the audio doesn't.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - cbma06 - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 5:27 pm)citaro5284 Soon.  What would be the point if it was just the main stops, people with eyesight problems can get off at any stop, so they need to know where they are.

I was on the edge of banging my head off the window with all the talk of chester road such and such at each stop, I would like to know if a survey was done for the blind and half deaf people to see if their got off at the wrong bus stop in the past, what did their do before all this fancy gizmo stuff came out  Dodgy

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - Adrian - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 5:34 pm)cbma06 I was on the edge of banging my head off the window with all the talk of chester road such and such at each stop, I would like to know if a survey was done for the blind and half deaf people to see if their got off at the wrong bus stop in the past, what did their do before all this fancy gizmo stuff came out  Dodgy

It's progress though. Progress in the right direction when it comes to accessibility of public transport.

Let's be honest though. NSAs are never going to be everybody's cup of tea. Some will find them fantastic, and others will find them an annoyance. We shouldn't forget though that some people are reliant on them.

In answer to your question though - they most likely struggled, or worse still, didn't bother with buses. In the same boat as wheelchair users, before low floor buses came along.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - Dan - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 3:17 pm)Davie 4933 Has been repainted

For clarification: former "The Highwayman" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4933 (Y933 ERG) has been repainted into Go North East's corporate livery.

Stanley's former "Diamond" branded Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5287 (NK08 CFX) is also at Saltmeadows at present, and this one is also going blue.

(08 Sep 2015, 5:29 pm)aureolin Really? I think they're much better, now that they're clutter free - i.e. none of this 'stay seated' stuff every announce.  

I've done the 8/78 a number of times since they were switched on, and I'd say they're pretty much spot on. The volume is just right, and I find the LED display a lot more visible from the rear of the bus. For me though, it doesn't go far enough, and I'd much prefer that they both announced the next stop, but also the stop that the bus is currently at. The screens do it already, but the audio doesn't.

Yes, I agree. I would like the "This is" audio to be announced when the doors are opened, and this would serve as a last minute reminder to customers that this is where they need to alight for x location. As I've said before, Go North East has done both with and without now, and it's a case of finding a happy medium for both drivers and customers (and the same applies for the volume).

I still prefer the regional accent and a familiar voice from radio presenters compared to the monotonous drone found elsewhere; indeed, the new Tyne & Wear Metro announcements are a huge improvement and a step in the right direction, so they're presumably thinking along the same lines as Go North East.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - BusLoverMum - 08 Sep 2015

The Arriva NSAs can be very loud, when they actually work. A great source of amusement to little'un, though, who loves to mimic them. i tend to tuen them out, though I still can't tune out the misspelling of horseshoes as horsehoes on the screens.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - Dan - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 8:01 pm)BusLoverMum The Arriva NSAs can be very loud, when they actually work. A great source of amusement to little'un, though, who loves to mimic them. i tend to tuen them out, though I still can't tune out the misspelling of horseshoes as horsehoes on the screens.

It's incredibly easy to make mistakes, so I'll be forgiving of that, but I'm shocked that they sitll haven't corrected that mistake..? There's not many buses on the 22 and 24 (think it's these services which serve the aforementioned location?), and it's only a case of correcting the PowerPoint, saving it, and shoving a USB memory stick into a computer on the bus to update it.

Given the negative connotations associated with the slang term "hoe", I would have thought it'd be a top priority to fix it...

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - BusLoverMum - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm)Dan They still haven't corrected that..? There's not many buses on the 22 and 24, and it's only a case of correcting the PowerPoint, saving it, and shoving a USB memory stick into a computer on the bus to update it.

Given the negative connotations associated with the slang term "hoe", I would have thought it'd be a top priority to fix it...

I'm banking on them never correcting it. Give it a few months and all the screens on the streetlites will have given up the ghost, anyhow. I haven't seen or heard NSAs on 1598 for weeks and there's a couple of others which are audio only most of the time.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - Jimmi - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm)Dan It's incredibly easy to make mistakes, so I'll be forgiving of that, but I'm shocked that they sitll haven't corrected that mistake..? There's not many buses on the 22 and 24, and it's only a case of correcting the PowerPoint, saving it, and shoving a USB memory stick into a computer on the bus to update it.

All the Arriva announcements I've seen/heard are screwed in some way, with some stops not being announced, spaces not used, lower case letters used instead of capitals, stops spelt wrong. Doesn't help that some stops have been added but nothing has been done to reflect these changes. Also on some buses especially Darlington's standard Pulsars the volume varies between buses.

On the X66 I had back from Stockton, I'm sure they've changed the announcements as Harrowgate Club came up on the screen but I'm sure it used to say Elmcroft. Not sure what the voice announcement was as I couldn't hear it!

1511 was only showing "Arriva, Go on, Get on, on the screen with no stops on the screen or voice announcements on the 5A this afternoon. 4649 on the X66 was stuck on "Four Riggs"

It's so bad it actually winds me up.

(08 Sep 2015, 8:17 pm)Jimmi Doesn't help that some stops have been added but nothing has been done to reflect these changes.

There's so many things to do when services are revised, so I can completely understand things being forgotten.

I was on Go North East's 56 service on Sunday and noticed the announcements had not been altered to reflect the closure of the road which the Sunderland Empire is situated on, as there was still an announcement for the Londonderry pub.

Going to see if we can push ahead with St. Michael's Way being recorded and added instead of The Londonderry and Sunderland Empire, in addition to the new stop on St. Mary's Way (if the buses are stopping there now). At the same time this update is pushed through, it should be possible for the radio station logo to be updated, too.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015 - Jimmi - 08 Sep 2015

(08 Sep 2015, 8:24 pm)Dan There's so many things to do when services are revised, so I can completely understand things being forgotten.

I was on Go North East's 56 service on Sunday and noticed the announcements had not been altered to reflect the closure of the road which the Sunderland Empire is situated on, as there was still an announcement for the Londonderry pub.

Going to see if we can push ahead with St. Michael's Way being recorded and added instead of The Londonderry and Sunderland Empire, in addition to the new stop on St. Mary's Way (if the buses are stopping there now). At the same time this update is pushed through, it should be possible for the radio station logo to be updated, too.
I know but the 7 had problems since day one and the Enviro's have the exact same problems! Although I imagine they just used the exact same slides audio etc. for this service.

Everytime I've had a Sapphire 24 branded Pulsar it has just displayed the Sapphire logo and I know from various appearances of them Pulsars on other services mean they probably haven't reprogrammed them since they took them off the 7.

Back to GNE, who actually does the announcements for the 56? I've never been on this route.

(08 Sep 2015, 8:31 pm)Jimmi I know but the 7 had problems since day one and the Enviro's have the exact same problems! Although I imagine they just used the exact same slides audio etc. for this service.

Everytime I've had a Sapphire 24 branded Pulsar it has just displayed the Sapphire logo and I know from various appearances of them Pulsars on other services mean they probably haven't reprogrammed them since they took them off the 7.

Back to GNE, who actually does the announcements for the 56? I've never been on this route.

Yes, I imagine the same programme would have been loaded, hence the same mistakes.

I think Stuart Elmore does the Fab56 and the Cobalt Clipper (excluding stops in Cobalt Business Park), in addition to the Coast & Country which is of course more recent.

There's a random announcement on or near Gateshead High Street which is a female voice to my memory. See if we can get that changed too...