North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=1683)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Jackamcardle - 16 Jan 2016

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but 3963 has lost its abysmal purple door - it's now red.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Dan - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 6:06 pm)LeeCalder We went for a drive around the back of Deptford last week, and noticed a lot of the Cats Fast ;-) Solar's are in a right mess....

Upgrade needed?

An upgrade isn't needed - the replacement vinyls just need to be fitted.

The examples which are missing branding have all been reported, and Go North East is waiting for the third party company to print and fit the replacement vinyls. The branding on the "Fast Cats" branded vehicles is applied by a third party company which is no longer used as frequently by Go North East, and this is presumably why this company will be dragging their heels.

I understand the frequency for service X35 on some of the buses is shown as 'every 60 minutes' (as opposed to every 30), though I don't think this will be corrected in the immediate future.

It's a bit of a dull brand which doesn't sell the service as much as it could do - nor does it really meet the standards of some of the more recent brand designs. Given that older designs seem to be under review at the moment (Red Arrows, Loop, etc), I would hope that the Fast Cats could be looked at, too.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - DanPicken - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 6:06 pm)LeeCalder We went for a drive around the back of Deptford last week, and noticed a lot of the Cats Fast ;-) Solar's are in a right mess....

Upgrade needed?

Speaking of Deptford, there's still that offer.
(16 Jan 2016, 6:07 pm)Jackamcardle Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but 3963 has lost its abysmal purple door - it's now red.

Thank god it looked horrendous like that Fab57 Renown a few months back.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - LeeCalder - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 6:24 pm)Dan An upgrade isn't needed - the replacement vinyls just need to be fitted.

The examples which are missing branding have all been reported, and Go North East is waiting for the third party company to print and fit the replacement vinyls. The branding on the "Fast Cats" branded vehicles is applied by a third party company which is no longer used as frequently by Go North East, and this is presumably why this company will be dragging their heels.

I understand the frequency for service X35 on some of the buses is shown as 'every 60 minutes' (as opposed to every 30), though I don't think this will be corrected in the immediate future.

It's a bit of a dull brand which doesn't sell the service as much as it could do - nor does it really meet the standards of some of the more recent brand designs. Given that older designs seem to be under review at the moment (Red Arrows, Loop, etc), I would hope that the Fast Cats could be looked at, too.

It's good to hear that the missing vinyl's are being replaced.

On the subject of branding's being dull, a friend of mine was talking about the branding's of the present and past, and how quite frankly they have gone downhill. I'll use the example he used...

1 - Magic Roundabout, Doxford Clipper and Pink Angel
2 - Green Arrow, indiGO and Coast and Country.

I know which option I would rather choose, and it certainly wouldn't be 2.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - MurdnunoC - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 6:52 pm)LeeCalder It's good to hear that the missing vinyl's are being replaced.

On the subject of branding's being dull, a friend of mine was talking about the branding's of the present and past, and how quite frankly they have gone downhill. I'll use the example he used...

Granted, I'm not a massive fan of branding, but I think the examples you list in Option 1 pale in comparison to the examples listed in Option 2. 

I think someone needs to go to Specsavers...

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - S813 FVK - 16 Jan 2016

I am a mix between options 1 and 2. I loved the pink version if the angel livery (pre-24 when the 'The convenient/frequent route to the heart of the north' was present) but i think the Magic Roundabout was too much on such a small vehicle. I quite like the Green Arrow and Coast&Country. Much better than the brands they replaced in my opinion.

(16 Jan 2016, 6:52 pm)LeeCalder It's good to hear that the missing vinyl's are being replaced.

It's difficult to really compare Options 1 and 2, as these aren't like-for-like replacements.

If you and your friend were to compare the old "Lime" brand to the current "Coast & Country" brand, there would only ever be one winner (and that's the more modern "Coast & Country" design - if you needed that clarifying!) Whilst the name itself isn't as catchy, the brand design itself is spot on and is noticeable even from a distance. It really sells what's on the route of the 8 and 78 services - the various landmarks served en-route and places to visit are all clearly identifiable.

The current "indiGo" brand is a lot more eye-catching than the old "East Durham" brand, and dirt (which is unavoidable at this time of year due to grit on the road, etc) is a lot less noticeable on these buses than the examples they replaced, due to the darker base livery. In an area like Peterlee where there is competition with services from another bus operator, buses have to be striking, and I certainly feel like the pink base livery achieves this. Again - an improvement in my eyes.

I used to live in the Humbledon Hill estate when the "Magic Roundabout" was around, and I used to love travelling on the 33 service, which was ultimately down to the route branding on these buses. With hindsight; the main roundabout on the route of the 33 service was the Premier Road / Silksworth Lane roundabout, and there wasn't a great deal that was 'magic' about it, so I'm not entirely sure what is relevant about this brand..? 

Route branding is always going down to be personal preference amongst enthusiasts - the above posts in response to yours provide further evidence of this. There's good designs, and not-so-good designs, but ultimately I feel the company is delivering improvements with route branding. The more pointless brand names have been dropped, and the company is no longer 'branding for branding's sake'.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - DanPicken - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:09 pm)Dan It's difficult to really compare Options 1 and 2, as these aren't like-for-like replacements.

If you and your friend were to compare the old "Lime" brand to the current "Coast & Country" brand, there would only ever be one winner (and that's the more modern "Coast & Country" design - if you needed that clarifying!) Whilst the name itself isn't as catchy, the brand design itself is spot on and is noticeable even from a distance. It really sells what's on the route of the 8 and 78 services - the various landmarks served en-route and places to visit are all clearly identifiable.

The current "indiGo" brand is a lot more eye-catching than the old "East Durham" brand, and dirt (which is unavoidable at this time of year due to grit on the road, etc) is a lot less noticeable on these buses than the examples they replaced, due to the darker base livery. In an area like Peterlee where there is competition with services from another bus operator, buses have to be striking, and I certainly feel like the pink base livery achieves this. Again - an improvement in my eyes.

I used to live in the Humbledon Hill estate when the "Magic Roundabout" was around, and I used to love travelling on the 33 service, which was ultimately down to the route branding on these buses. With hindsight; the main roundabout on the route of the 33 service was the Premier Road / Silksworth Lane roundabout, and there wasn't a great deal that was 'magic' about it, so I'm not entirely sure what is relevant about this brand..? 

Route branding is always going down to be personal preference amongst enthusiasts - the above posts in response to yours provide further evidence of this. There's good designs, and not-so-good designs, but ultimately I feel the company is delivering improvements with route branding. The more pointless brand names have been dropped, and the company is no longer 'branding for branding's sake'.

Green Arrow is more pointless than The Highwayman.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - MurdnunoC - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:16 pm)DanPicken Green Arrow is more pointless than The Highwayman.

Green Arrow is a nicer shade of green.

Option 1 for me the brands were all similar and based on the corporate livery, not done for fun.

(16 Jan 2016, 7:18 pm)DanPicken Option 1 for me the brands were all similar and based on the corporate livery, not done for fun.

Don't see how the silver-based Doxford Clipper or the pink-based Pink Angel were similar to the traditionally red-based corporate livery like.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Jimmi - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:16 pm)DanPicken Green Arrow is more pointless than The Highwayman.
How is it more pointless? I don't think either the Highwayman and Green Arrow brands are relevant to the routes that the branding was applied to. You could argue that Green Arrow is a more relevant brand simply because the base colour of the bus is green.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - L469 YVK - 16 Jan 2016

With the Red Arrows undergoing a brand refresh, do you think Gary and Lisa's announcements from Real (Heart Radio) made will either be replaced by Brian or the S&K from Metro or another Bauer Radio DJ at the same time?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Adrian - 16 Jan 2016

Upgrade needed?

Bits of branding aye, but the majority of them seem to be operationally sound. Give me one of those 2004 Solars any day, over the usual heaps I have to endure through Durham! Smile

Depends how you define pointless doesn't it? If it's increased profit across those services, then it's a job well done.

(16 Jan 2016, 7:20 pm)MurdnunoC Don't see how the silver-based Doxford Clipper or the pink-based Pink Angel were similar to the traditionally red-based corporate livery like.

I think DanPicken will be referring to the synergy between different brands owing to the 'swoops' on these designs - similar to what Trent Barton does.

I don't think there has to be links between a brand design and a main corporate identity for a brand to be successful, though. According to recent research carried out by Go North East, 81% of the company's customers love their bus brand and 87% think it makes their bus much easier to identity. The survey about brand perception was carried out by researchers, BlueGrass, and also shows that 81% of people still recognise that Go North East runs their bus route, despite the links between a corporate identity and an individual brand design no longer being existent.

[Image: 14221210568_c88d978061.jpg]5251 (NK56KHX) Consett 15 by Carlisle Bus Group, on Flickr

[Image: 23288643232_7e30fbdf97.jpg]559 (NK53TKY) Sunderland 33 by Carlisle Bus Group, on Flickr

[Image: 5622240708_c4dcb51cbd.jpg]Go North East: 0606 NK54NUB Dennis MPD/Alexander by emdjt42, on Flickr

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - LeeCalder - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:20 pm)MurdnunoC Don't see how the silver-based Doxford Clipper or the pink-based Pink Angel were similar to the traditionally red-based corporate livery like.

The Corporate livery at the time was Red, Yellow and Blue, with the "Swoosh" or "Swoop", which I thought looked brilliant, and suited every vehicle.

Almost every brand in that year or two incorporated the swoosh, which is I think Dan's point.

(16 Jan 2016, 7:24 pm)Dan I think DanPicken will be referring to the synergy between different brands owing to the 'swoops' on these designs - similar to what Trent Barton does.

I don't think there has to be links between a brand design and a main corporate identity for a brand to be successful, though. According to recent research carried out by Go North East, 81% of the company's customers love their bus brand and 87% think it makes their bus much easier to identity. The survey about brand perception was carried out by researchers, BlueGrass, and also shows that 81% of people still recognise that Go North East runs their bus route, despite the links between a corporate identity and an individual brand design no longer being existent.

[Image: 14221210568_c88d978061.jpg]5251 (NK56KHX) Consett 15 by Carlisle Bus Group, on Flickr

[Image: 23288643232_7e30fbdf97.jpg]559 (NK53TKY) Sunderland 33 by Carlisle Bus Group, on Flickr

[Image: 5622240708_c4dcb51cbd.jpg]Go North East: 0606 NK54NUB Dennis MPD/Alexander by emdjt42, on Flickr

Didn't even notice the 'swoops' to be honest - just the colour schemes.

(16 Jan 2016, 7:09 pm)Dan It's difficult to really compare Options 1 and 2, as these aren't like-for-like replacements.

Granted, the Coast and Country is eye catching, and looks pretty decent. But, the "Lime" brand was established, people recognised it. As we both know, the late former Go North East Managing Director, Peter Huntley who I believe was truly inspirational in the way he turned Go North East around stated that brands should be refreshed every five years, however, refreshing and changing the name are two completely different things. People are far more likely to say "Get the Lime bus" than "Get the Coast and Country bus" because chances are, you'll forget Coast and Country, because it isn't catchy.

indiGO isn't indiGo, that is my first gripe with that brand. It would be more acceptable if it was actually Indigo and not bright pink. Again, it has had a major upgrade which is for the customers benefit, however, again the East Durham brand was established, maybe it could have been spruced up a bit?

Magic Roundabout was quite magic, it looked magnificent if we're honest, and a great piece of marketing by Go North East, because it is something you look at and your immediate reaction is that it looks good. Okay, it maybe didn't incorporate a 'magic' roundabout, but it still worked.

I should of been more clearer when making the post.
(16 Jan 2016, 7:22 pm)Adrian Bits of branding aye, but the majority of them seem to be operationally sound. Give me one of those 2004 Solars any day, over the usual heaps I have to endure through Durham! Smile

Depends how you define pointless doesn't it? If it's increased profit across those services, then it's a job well done.
The Highwayman had a background rather than naming a brand after the color and sticking Arrow after.

(16 Jan 2016, 7:24 pm)Dan I think DanPicken will be referring to the synergy between different brands owing to the 'swoops' on these designs - similar to what Trent Barton does.

That's what I meant.
(16 Jan 2016, 7:25 pm)LeeCalder The Corporate livery at the time was Red, Yellow and Blue, with the "Swoosh" or "Swoop", which I thought looked brilliant, and suited every vehicle.

Almost every brand in that year or two incorporated the swoosh, which is I think Dan's point.

I think it's hard to find a livery that the swoop didn't suit Dennis Dart MPD/SPD also suited any livery chucked on them.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Jimmi - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:40 pm)DanPicken The Highwayman had a background rather than naming a brand after the color and sticking Arrow after.

In fairness, you could say the same thing about the 'Red Arrows' and 'Silver Arrows' brands.