North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=1683)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Dan - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:31 pm)MurdnunoC Didn't even notice the 'swoops' to be honest - just the colour schemes.

I'm willing to bet that most others didn't notice them either, which is why it's no longer common practice!

(16 Jan 2016, 7:36 pm)LeeCalder Granted, the Coast and Country is eye catching, and looks pretty decent. But, the "Lime" brand was established, people recognised it. As we both know, the late former Go North East Managing Director, Peter Huntley who I believe was truly inspirational in the way he turned Go North East around stated that brands should be refreshed every five years, however, refreshing and changing the name are two completely different things. People are far more likely to say "Get the Lime bus" than "Get the Coast and Country bus" because chances are, you'll forget Coast and Country, because it isn't catchy. 

indiGO isn't indiGo, that is my first gripe with that brand. It would be more acceptable if it was actually Indigo and not bright pink. Again, it has had a major upgrade which is for the customers benefit, however, again the East Durham brand was established, maybe it could have been spruced up a bit?

There are instances where it's probably more commercially advantageous to completely change the look and name of a brand, though. You've really got to look at the whole picture, if you're going to be critical of decisions made by people who are a lot more experienced in marketing than you or I!

If the company's old brand identity has a tarnished reputation, it may wish to ditch it completely in favour of something totally new. A new brand identity allows for a clean slate, with brand new buses which are a lot more reliable. This may entice new customers to the route, and encourage growth on this route, which will ultimately provide a return on the new vehicles.

(16 Jan 2016, 7:40 pm)DanPicken The Highwayman had a background rather than naming a brand after the color and sticking Arrow after.

What was the background? The fact that these services used Whickham Highway?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - S813 FVK - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:40 pm)DanPicken The Highwayman had a background rather than naming a brand after the color and sticking Arrow after.

I don't see anybody complaining about the Red Arrows. Yet...

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - DanPicken - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm)Dan I'm willing to bet that most others didn't notice them either, which is why it's no longer common practice!

There are instances where it's probably more commercially advantageous to completely change the look and name of a brand, though. You've really got to look at the whole picture, if you're going to be critical of decisions made by people who are a lot more experienced in marketing than you or I!

If the company's old brand identity has a tarnished reputation, it may wish to ditch it completely in favour of something totally new. A new brand identity allows for a clean slate, with brand new buses which are a lot more reliable. This may entice new customers to the route, and encourage growth on this route, which will ultimately provide a return on the new vehicles.

What was the background? The fact that these services used Whickham Highway?

It had a back story related to The Highwayman where as Green Arrow only refers to the color.
(16 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm)S813 FVK I don't see anybody complaining about the Red Arrows. Yet...
Because it was an original brand but more and more are popping up the 20 will be the Purple Arrow on the Streetlite's. Tongue

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - citaro5284 - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:50 pm)DanPicken Because it was an original brand but more and more are popping up the 20 will be the Purple Arrow on the Streetlite's. Tongue

Damn....somebody has let the new brand name out.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - LeeCalder - 16 Jan 2016

The Highwayman did actually have a meaning.

I am lead to believe it dates back to a story of robberies in the Lobley Hill area in the late 1800. The people who committed these robberies were known as Highwaymen.

Hence why on one of the old Highwayman timetables, it says "At £2.20, it's a steal"

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - MurdnunoC - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:50 pm)DanPicken It had a back story related to The Highwayman where as Green Arrow only refers to the color.

What's this back story to which you refer?

The only back story I'm aware of is that the bus served Wickham Highway and there's a pub on-route named The Highwayman. Other than that, zilch. I hope this backstory is interesting and contains real highwaymen fighting pirates and dragons and stuff.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Adrian - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:36 pm)LeeCalder indiGO isn't indiGo, that is my first gripe with that brand. It would be more acceptable if it was actually Indigo and not bright pink. Again, it has had a major upgrade which is for the customers benefit, however, again the East Durham brand was established, maybe it could have been spruced up a bit?

'indiGo' is being used as a play on words, promoting links to a, b and c. Painting it the colour Indigo is a difficult one, given that several buses from the network cross paths with the Prince Bishops, which is relatively the same colour. It's not great to have two brands running on one corridor, with neither standing out from the other.

Trent's 'Rainbow One' branded vehicles aren't painted in colours of the rainbow? Nor is the service number '1'. Disappointingly, I've not seen many teal mangos either.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - R852 PRG - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:54 pm)LeeCalder The Highwayman did actually have a meaning.

I am lead to believe it dates back to a story of robberies in the Lobley Hill area in the late 1800. The people who committed these robberies were known as Highwaymen.

Hence why on one of the old Highwayman timetables, it says "At £2.20, it's a steal"

Pretty sure it's actually got something to do with a public house/restaurant located on the Whickham Highway, called ''The Highwayman'', which the route passes.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - MurdnunoC - 16 Jan 2016

Source?

And spates robberies have taken place in Lobley Hill in the interim period. It's not the most salubrious place.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - DanPicken - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:52 pm)citaro5284 Damn....somebody has let the new brand name out.

Sh*t! Tongue

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - BusLoverMum - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 6:06 pm)LeeCalder We went for a drive around the back of Deptford last week, and noticed a lot of the Cats Fast ;-) Solar's are in a right mess....

Upgrade needed?

They're all rather battered looking. The one we caught on the X36 to Newcastle in the summer had a pretty knackered suspension. Every single uneven bit of road caused a massive jolt. There was a poor woman in a wheelchair who clearly had some abdominal pain and she was really suffering with the bumps.

I don't think there's any logical upgrades to make, in the near future, given that the batch of solars coming off the PB when they're replaced are pretty much the same age and condition.

(16 Jan 2016, 7:58 pm)MurdnunoC Source?

Highwayman timetable from around 2007/8.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Dan - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm)S813 FVK I don't see anybody complaining about the Red Arrows. Yet...

In 2011; Go North East were quoted in the trade press to have seen a 52% rise in passenger journeys on the X1 service, following the introduction of the "Red Arrows" brand name to this service. If this isn't a commercial success story, I don't know what is. You'd be mad to complain about this brand name!

The name is a representation of the brand, conjuring images, concepts and experiences. The "Red Arrows" brand name, to me, connotes a limited-stop express service, given the relation to the widely-known Red Arrows jets, operated by the Royal Air Force.

I'm a former Media Studies student, which means I naturally analyse different products and their connotations and what it could represent, and I also have an interest in this industry. I don't think many 'normal' customers would analyse a brand name and design as much as I have done in the example above. Perhaps they just see a coloured bus, and use this to identify their service from a distance?

At the end of the day, route branding is what you make of it.

I wonder how many customers on the 97 knew of this story about robberies in Lobley Hill which occurred in the late 1800s?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - LeeCalder - 16 Jan 2016

I know people are kind of taking the piss out of what I've just stated about The Highwayman, but there is a local history to the place. I believe the story is fictional, however it clearly had something to do with the brand, otherwise it wouldn't have been said in a timetable. Which I'm now on the hunt for now.

(16 Jan 2016, 7:56 pm)Adrian 'indiGo' is being used as a play on words, promoting links to a, b and c. Painting it the colour Indigo is a difficult one, given that several buses from the network cross paths with the Prince Bishops, which is relatively the same colour. It's not great to have two brands running on one corridor, with neither standing out from the other.

Trent's 'Rainbow One' branded vehicles aren't painted in colours of the rainbow? Nor is the service number '1'. Disappointingly, I've not seen many teal mangos either.

What does this discussion have to do with TrentBarton? Nothing at all....

The Rainbow 1 has been an established brand for the last 15 or so years, and does actually incorporate the colours on the Rainbow One logo...

(16 Jan 2016, 8:07 pm)LeeCalder I know people are kind of taking the piss out of what I've just stated about The Highwayman, but there is a local history to the place. I believe the story is fictional, however it clearly had something to do with the brand, otherwise it wouldn't have been said in a timetable. Which I'm now on the hunt for now.

So am I.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Adrian - 16 Jan 2016

(16 Jan 2016, 8:08 pm)LeeCalder What does this discussion have to do with TrentBarton? Nothing at all....

The Rainbow 1 has been an established brand for the last 15 or so years, and does actually incorporate the colours on the Rainbow One logo...

indiGo incorporates the colour indigo on the lettering. Will it be ok for the indiGo buses to be pink in 15 years time? Wink

The discussion is on route branding of bus routes, so there's your link to Trent Barton. If you were comparing the branding of soft drinks, you'd look across range of manufacturers. Not just the Pepsi Co for example.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - S813 FVK - 16 Jan 2016

Well, the 'its a steal' bit is true!

(16 Jan 2016, 8:07 pm)LeeCalder I know people are kind of taking the piss out of what I've just stated about The Highwayman, but there is a local history to the place. I believe the story is fictional, however it clearly had something to do with the brand, otherwise it wouldn't have been said in a timetable. Which I'm now on the hunt for now.

Found it "Our \highwayman Switcha ticket lets you hop on any of our buses at Gateshead Interchange or Metrocentre to continue your journey to Newcastle. Buy it on your Highwayman bus and at just £2 a ticket, it's a steal!" 7th November 2010 edition of Highwayman Timetable.

(16 Jan 2016, 8:16 pm)DanPicken Found it "Our \highwayman Switcha ticket lets you hop on any of our buses at Gateshead Interchange or Metrocentre to continue your journey to Newcastle. Buy it on your Highwayman bus and at just £2 a ticket, it's a steal!" 7th November 2010 edition of Highwayman Timetable.

That's some backstory that mind!