North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=1683)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - L469 YVK - 22 Jan 2016

Does it matter whether the Streetlites will be Euro 5 or Euro 6 or for that matter, ANY bus? As long as the buses ordered are:

- Reasonably efficient
- Reasonably reliable
- To company and passenger requirements

Then that is fine. At least GNE are willing to invest in their fleet unlike Arriva who are happy to use 13-14 year old cast offs from London on their MAX routes and 57 plate E400s on a 'premium SAPPHIRE service' which have been battered during their time at Blyth and Redcar for the majority of them.

And, the only reason that GNE ordered B9TLs for the 47 was because of:
- Their price (end of line discount and kept in dealer stock)
- Commonality with Riverside's decker fleet (TEN and TTX)
- Proven vehicle type
- Streetdeck wasn't proven at the time of the order
- 47 despite being a profitable route and requiring extra capacity, didn't justify the expenditure of all the extra bells and whistles like the TEN, Fab 56, Cobalt Clipper etc although the 45/46 do have the extra bells and whistles

If GNEs Merc engined Citaro's can last nearly 9 year (original Red Arrows batch), then surely the Streetdeck will last as long despite being a little bit slower (or the same depending on setup) than a conventional decker.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - South Tyne Lad - 22 Jan 2016

(22 Jan 2016, 8:30 pm)Adrian That's rubbish. If you ordered a new car, it'd still be a new car whether it be built to order or whether it be dealer stock. The only difference is the interior. How do you know WiFi was thrown in, and not ordered separately?

The thing is where talking about buses, Ordering a Car is totally different because you are ordering for yourself, Ordering a Bus you have to Consider with the Passengers and Future Passengers in Mind ( Or should do )
Some people on this forum have posted about how E-Leather, Wifi, Plug Sockets ETC is now Priority on all orders........Then GNE order Dealer B9s which has a ABSOULOUTLY DIFFERENT interior for a High Profile Spec service.

GNE Chucked the Wifi in after they bought the Dealer B9s.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - S813 FVK - 22 Jan 2016

(22 Jan 2016, 9:11 pm)South Tyne Lad The thing is where talking about buses, Ordering a Car is totally different because you are ordering for yourself, Ordering a Bus you have to Consider with the Passengers and Future Passengers in Mind ( Or should do )
Some people on this forum have posted about how E-Leather, Wifi, Plug Sockets ETC is now Priority on all orders........Then GNE order Dealer B9s which has a ABSOULOUTLY DIFFERENT interior for a High Profile Spec service.  

I think priority is the wrong word to use. 

I'd maybe say 'standard'?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - South Tyne Lad - 22 Jan 2016

(22 Jan 2016, 8:57 pm)DaveyBowyer Does it matter whether the Streetlites will be Euro 5 or Euro 6 or for that matter, ANY bus? As long as the buses ordered are:

- Reasonably efficient
- Reasonably reliable
- To company and passenger requirements

Then that is fine. At least GNE are willing to invest in their fleet unlike Arriva who are happy to use 13-14 year old cast offs from London on their MAX routes and 57 plate E400s on a 'premium SAPPHIRE service' which have been battered during their time at Blyth and Redcar for the majority of them.

And, the only reason that GNE ordered B9TLs for the 47 was because of:
- Their price (end of line discount and kept in dealer stock)
- Commonality with Riverside's decker fleet (TEN and TTX)
- Proven vehicle type
- Streetdeck wasn't proven at the time of the order
- 47 despite being a profitable route and requiring extra capacity, didn't justify the expenditure of all the extra bells and whistles like the TEN, Fab 56, Cobalt Clipper etc although the 45/46 do have the extra bells and whistles

If GNEs Merc engined Citaro's can last nearly 9 year (original Red Arrows batch), then surely the Streetdeck will last as long despite being a little bit slower (or the same depending on setup) than a conventional decker.

The thing is its a disappointment that GNE always now go under and order Euro 5s when Euro 5 buses are barely the trend now ( Only Arriva ad GNE had a full Euro 5 order last year )
Going back to the past GNE were always off the mark with the lastest Buses on the Market, to name a few:

2000/2001 First Scania L94 Solars were on the market and GNE ordered one of the first batches
2006/2007 First Euro 4 Scania Omnicity appear on the market, GNEs off the mark and orders one of the first batches
2007/2008 First Euro 5 Mercedes Benz Citaros appear on the market, GNE orders again one of the first batch

Examples like that were back in the day when GNE always had the passenger in mind and Futureristic looking fleet with being first of the mark to order new types.
Now its changed.....

Even if it didn't justify extra " Bells and Whistles " If your going to make a route part of the same brand that has brand new, shiny, extra bells and whistles,
and then add a route with Dealer Stock B9s chucked in it trashes the brand in my view

GNE in 2001 could've gone under and kept ordering B10BLEs ( Like Transdev) until 2002 when the last ones were registerd, But instead went new and ordered what is now the Y Reg batch of Scanias.
In 2006 GNE could've gone under and ordered a final batch of Scania L94UBs ( Like Reading Buses ) But went new and bought Omnicitys
They could've stayed at Euro 4 a mere few months later but went further and ordered the first Euro 5 Citaros.

It shows GNE went the extra mile and ordered what the passenger would like and improved the company image.

Even if the Streetlites are Euro 5, The Streetdecks can only be Euro 6 so wouldn't it not be better to have the same engine ( DAimler OM904 ) in the Streetlite for maintenance purposes?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Adrian - 22 Jan 2016

(22 Jan 2016, 9:11 pm)South Tyne Lad The thing is where talking about buses, Ordering a Car is totally different because you are ordering for yourself, Ordering a Bus you have to Consider with the Passengers and Future Passengers in Mind ( Or should do )

Do you never resell a car? I might like scarlet red leather interior, but I'm sure Joe Bloggs who purchases it next won't. I'd purchase extras such as a decent sound system, alarm system, and interior packs, because I know it'll be of benefit to me and anyone else that uses it.

We've discussed eLeather at length. It's a convenience to operators, so I guess it's in their interests to use that where appropriate. WiFi, Plug Sockets and NSAs... The X66 Streetlites don't have those features, so I don't know how they're a priority? I'd say more an assessment on merit. 

I'd questioned the WiFi comments, because normally when you refer to 'thrown in', you're talking about an optional extra given to you at the dealer's discretion.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Kuyoyo - 22 Jan 2016

(22 Jan 2016, 9:35 pm)South Tyne Lad Even if the Streetlites are Euro 5, The Streetdecks can only be Euro 6 so wouldn't it not be better to have the same engine ( DAimler OM904 ) in the Streetlite for maintenance purposes?

Why would they need to be the same for maintenance purposes when they aren't even going to be based at the same depot? You do yourself no favors with comments like this.....

As for Euro6 engine options for the Streetlite, if Wright listen to their customers, they would do right to offer the Euro6 Cummins engine. From what little I've heard, Arriva's engineering department aren't exactly impressed with the Damiler duo.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Rapidsnap - 22 Jan 2016

The Red Kite B9s aren't the first dealer stock vehicles in the fleet.

Volvo (VDL) SB120 / Wright Merits were also dealer stock vehicles and some even entered service in dealer white. The reason for getting them, GNE needed new buses quickly, and they were the best option.

No doubt the same applied to the Volvo B9TLs for the Red Kite. GNE already had experience of the vehicle type, therefore requires less staff training on the vehicles. There isn't much point in ordering 4 of a new type of vehicle, find that they are complete lemons and go for a completely different type of vehicle for future orders. Go North East tried the Volvo B5TL on the 47 route, and found that it did struggle a little bit, so went for a wise move and went for the stock of 4 B9TLs. They days of small batches of unique vehicles are long gone. Prime examples of small batches brought new include the Dennis Lance SLFs and the Scania L94UAs. Though saying that some reasons that there wasn't more Lance SLFs was that delivery was delayed (4770-4773 were meant to carry registrations L470YVK etc). Also Wright and Dennis had a huge falling out over the fact that Dennis pushed Heathrow Airport to get Berkhof bodies on the chassis, resulting in no more Wright Pathfinders being constructed on the Dennis Lance SLF chassis. Just to add, the Dennis Lance SLF is the only vehicle type that Go North East (well Coastline) pioneered since L469YVK has the lowest numbered Dennis Lance SLF chassis that was actually registred, with the first one being a test rig.

As for the Scania L94UAs, well they were constructed for a bespoke route with low bridges, and were a bit more so of a vanity thing. We all saw how well a large fleet of Bendy Buses went don't we.

As for the Scania L94UBs, the chassis had been around a few years (1997) prior to the introduction of the Wright Solar body, so GNE weren't one of the first with the L94UB chassis. Also the body was developed at least a year before GNE got it too. Because GNE was a big Scania user, they decided to push ahead and go and buy the Scania N230UB Omnicity off the drawing board (think they were the second big operator to get them), and they ended up regretting it with the vehicles being plagued with issues which resulted in various Scania demo vehicles on loan to cover for warrenty work.

Go North East learned from this, and started evaluating more demo buses before ordering.

Also Go North East weren't one of the first few opeartors to get the Euro 5 Citaro, there were a few operators (Oxford, Plymouth, McGills and British Airways who ordered them beforehand, though I still have no idea why 5276 arrived well ahead of the rest of the batch.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - L469 YVK - 23 Jan 2016

(22 Jan 2016, 9:49 pm)Kuyoyo Why would they need to be the same for maintenance purposes when they aren't even going to be based at the same depot? You do yourself no favors with comments like this.....

As for Euro6 engine options for the Streetlite, if Wright listen to their customers, they would do right to offer the Euro6 Cummins engine. From what little I've heard, Arriva's engineering department aren't exactly impressed with the Damiler duo.
Merc engines aren't too bad to be fair. Mind you, if Wrightbus offered the 6.7 Cummins unit on the Streetdeck as a pure diesel with a standard flywheel coupled with a ZF Gearbox and the turbo configured to a similar standard to the E400, they'd go like rockets!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Jackamcardle - 23 Jan 2016

9106 is out today, allocated to service 683.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Diamond One - 23 Jan 2016

(22 Jan 2016, 11:19 pm)GMitchelhill The Red Kite B9s aren't the first dealer stock vehicles in the fleet.

Volvo (VDL) SB120 / Wright Merits were also dealer stock vehicles and some even entered service in dealer white. The reason for getting them, GNE needed new buses quickly, and they were the best option.

No doubt the same applied to the Volvo B9TLs for the Red Kite. GNE already had experience of the vehicle type, therefore requires less staff training on the vehicles. There isn't much point in ordering 4 of a new type of vehicle, find that they are complete lemons and go for a completely different type of vehicle for future orders. Go North East tried the Volvo B5TL on the 47 route, and found that it did struggle a little bit, so went for a wise move and went for the stock of 4 B9TLs. They days of small batches of unique vehicles are long gone. Prime examples of small batches brought new include the Dennis Lance SLFs and the Scania L94UAs. Though saying that some reasons that there wasn't more Lance SLFs was that delivery was delayed (4770-4773 were meant to carry registrations L470YVK etc). Also Wright and Dennis had a huge falling out over the fact that Dennis pushed Heathrow Airport to get Berkhof bodies on the chassis, resulting in no more Wright Pathfinders being constructed on the Dennis Lance SLF chassis. Just to add, the Dennis Lance SLF is the only vehicle type that Go North East (well Coastline) pioneered since L469YVK has the lowest numbered Dennis Lance SLF chassis that was actually registred, with the first one being a test rig.

As for the Scania L94UAs, well they were constructed for a bespoke route with low bridges, and were a bit more so of a vanity thing. We all saw how well a large fleet of Bendy Buses went don't we.

As for the Scania L94UBs, the chassis had been around a few years (1997) prior to the introduction of the Wright Solar body, so GNE weren't one of the first with the L94UB chassis. Also the body was developed at least a year before GNE got it too. Because GNE was a big Scania user, they decided to push ahead and go and buy the Scania N230UB Omnicity off the drawing board (think they were the second big operator to get them), and they ended up regretting it with the vehicles being plagued with issues which resulted in various Scania demo vehicles on loan to cover for warrenty work.

Go North East learned from this, and started evaluating more demo buses before ordering.

Also Go North East weren't one of the first few opeartors to get the Euro 5 Citaro, there were a few operators (Oxford, Plymouth, McGills and British Airways who ordered them beforehand, though I still have no idea why 5276 arrived well ahead of the rest of the batch.

Think there is about 10 dealer stock vehicles according to my calculations other than streetdecks they should order a Volvo EcoSeti went on a first example last Monday on the way to Rotherham not bad vehicle better than a Streetdeck could have a demonstrator just to trail it out on various routes within the region see how that goes as for the ominicity only one I like is 5241 nice machine some are good but not that good so by ordering the EcoSeti bus if successful will replace any unwanted vehicles within the fleet plus I wouldn't mind seeing an enviro 200 mmc as a demo up here first it's basically the single decker to the enviro 400 mmc lovely bus saw a few in Rotherham on Monday was tempted to ride a few but there's always another time

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Diamond One - 23 Jan 2016

(23 Jan 2016, 9:06 am)Jackamcardle 9106 is out today, allocated to service 683.

Got a pic of it? If so send us the link and I will favour it when I can p.s keep up to good work sir my advice would be to you work hard play hard

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Jackamcardle - 23 Jan 2016

(23 Jan 2016, 10:27 am)Diamond One Got a pic of it? If so send us the link and I will favour it when I can p.s keep up to good work sir my advice would be to you work hard play hard

Daniel Duffy posted it on Facebook

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Dan - 23 Jan 2016

(23 Jan 2016, 10:50 am)Jackamcardle Daniel Duffy posted it on Facebook

[Image: 12573894_10206747595303174_1139214581419...e=57472365]

Must have got through the driver familiarisation a bit quicker than expected! MPD 555 withdrawn as a consequence.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - South Tyne Lad - 23 Jan 2016

(22 Jan 2016, 9:49 pm)Kuyoyo Why would they need to be the same for maintenance purposes when they aren't even going to be based at the same depot? You do yourself no favors with comments like this.....

Company wide maintenance? Why add only a small number of a new engine type when the whole order could consist of the same engine type ( Even if the Solos are Euro 6 they'd have the same Daimler as the Streetlites ) Making the engine type more familiar.

First bought 450 Steetlites in the past two years with roughly half containing Daimlers, I would've expected first to carry on with Cummins if it was offered.

The two Daimler streetlites on the X1 cope better than the Cummins ones and very rarely Jerk back into Gear 2 etc

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Diamond One - 24 Jan 2016

vehicles out today are: 
Chester-le-Street based: 3869, 3872,  3878,  6017, 6018, 6036, 
Crook Based: 6038

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Rapidsnap - 24 Jan 2016

More than likely 6038 was receiving repairs at Chester Le Street, and was just borrowed for the replacements.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - R852 PRG - 24 Jan 2016

(24 Jan 2016, 5:25 pm)GMitchelhill More than likely 6038 was receiving repairs at Chester Le Street, and was just borrowed for the replacements.

I believe the Metro Replacement services are only operated by the bigger depots such as Riverside, Deptford and Chester-le-Street, and not by small outstations like Crook, Hexham or Peterlee.

6038 has seemingly spent the weekend at Chester-le-Street, presumably just to sort out a small defect. It was scrambled yesterday morning, when 4929 couldn't operate the 08:40 Newcastle-bound X25 to time as an ambulance had to be called for an ill passenger, and another driver came from the depot to take over the situation and allowed the original driver to run light in 6038 to Newcastle, to perform the 09:25 to Langley Park from there. 4929 then went back to the depot.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Kuyoyo - 24 Jan 2016

Would anyone be able to advise which runs the Venture Solo on the 689 does while in Hexham? Planning to head up that way on Tuesday

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - pdiddy - 24 Jan 2016

(24 Jan 2016, 5:25 pm)GMitchelhill More than likely 6038 was receiving repairs at Chester Le Street, and was just borrowed for the replacements.

6038 has been back at Chester since Thursday

While Crook have had 6019 ... 6020

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - G-CPTN - 24 Jan 2016

(24 Jan 2016, 7:13 pm)Kuyoyo Would anyone be able to advise which runs the Venture Solo on the 689 does while in Hexham? Planning to head up that way on Tuesday
It leaves the bus station as 687 @ 11:35 then ALDI @ 11:40 and runs to Corbridge and back, leaving Corbridge @ 11:53 or thereabouts - depending on the delays on Haugh Lane (due to gas-main renewal).
ETA Hexham bus station 12:10.

It then used to run up to Colwell via Barrasford and Gunnerton (Snaith 882) leaving Hexham as 682 @ 12:10 - but that was 'withdrawn' by GNE as uneconomic.

From Corbridge (instead of the 687) you could catch the TEN (from the Hill Street stop) @ 12:08 - ETA Hexham 12:17.

TENs might run a couple of minutes late due to the closure of Station Road, Corbridge.