North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=1683)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Dan - 27 Jan 2016

Go North East's Next Stop Announcements are currently being reviewed - the main visual changes are summarised below:
  • The company is expected to roll out a new 'line-plan' format on all services with Next Stop Announcements, allowing passengers to see the previous, next and future stops, as well as the ultimate terminal point, with scope in future of showing expected journey times.
  • Go North East will depict connections to other Go North East buses at key interchange points by showing images of the brightly coloured buses. Passengers should recognise the striking livery design and know that they need to alight to connect to that service.
  • BuzzFare ticketing zones will be advertised, so that passengers are aware of where a boundary starts and ends on the route.
  • Go North East will make use of the TFT monitors on express routes in between long-distance bus stops by promoting the company's smartphone application which allows customers to see live times, buy tickets and download timetables while on the go; as well as other things such as the company's 'Key' smartcard that makes travelling by bus easier, cheaper and more secure.
The new line-plan format has now been rolled out on two "Red Arrows" branded Volvo B9TL double-deck vehicles (6007 and 6050). The audio and names of stops will be reviewed next month in line with service changes, but a number of minor tweaks have been made to the existing audio, cutting down on some of the more "playful" announcements.

A few photographs taken today are below:

[Image: 24649030215_3171066e49.jpg]Go North East: 'Next Stop' Announcements by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 24622830336_85a4b947cc.jpg]Go North East: 'Next Stop' Announcements by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - DanPicken - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 4:54 pm)Dan A few photographs taken today are below:

[Image: 24649030215_3171066e49.jpg]Go North East: 'Next Stop' Announcements by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 24622830336_85a4b947cc.jpg]Go North East: 'Next Stop' Announcements by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Looks good will have to ride either 6007/50 on Saturday.

(27 Jan 2016, 4:56 pm)DanPicken Looks good will have to ride either 6007/50 on Saturday.

For those wishing to see the new screens in the flesh, I will post which running boards 6007 and 6050 have both been allocated to on Saturday.

Feel free to drop me a note with any feedback.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Michael - 27 Jan 2016

Looks really good, great work.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Ambassador - 27 Jan 2016

Looks great Dan. Really strong visuals.

Can I ask a question regarding next stop announcements on the Angel?

The first stop in Birtley is called Northdene and it literally drops you off outside Coach and Horses. The second by Windsor Rd (called Windsor Rd on northbound next stop announcements)is called Coach and Horses. Makes no sense!

(27 Jan 2016, 5:04 pm)Ambassador Looks great Dan. Really strong visuals.

Can I ask a question regarding next stop announcements on the Angel?

The first stop in Birtley is called Northdene and it literally drops you off outside Coach and Horses. The second by Windsor Rd (called Windsor Rd on northbound next stop announcements)is called Coach and Horses. Makes no sense!

I can't comment on any of the old stuff, I'm afraid, as I had absolutely nothing to do with it back then!

The Next Stop Announcements on the Angel will be reviewed at some point this year, in the new style depicted by the Red Arrows, and with new audio. The announcements on the Peterlee indiGo services should hopefully be implemented at some point during March - this is one of the highest priorities, given that the vehicles were launched a few months ago and they still haven't had announcements programmed yet. After that, other routes such as the Angel will be reviewed.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Andreos1 - 27 Jan 2016

I suppose we now know the X1 livery is staying the same, following the repaints.

Quick question though, between Wrekenton and Easington Lane it only indicates 4 stops. I guess these will be highlighted and will be at Springwell, Galleries, Houghton and Hetton?
What happens at Shiney or Herrington Burn? Both key stops, but with no indication on the imagery, other than the NSA's we see presently.
I imagine it isn't possible to represent every stop between the Galleries and Easington Lane, whereas it is on the limited stop section of the route.

(27 Jan 2016, 5:12 pm)Andreos1 I suppose we now know the X1 livery is staying the same, following the repaints.

Quick question though, between Wrekenton and Easington Lane it only indicates 4 stops. I guess these will be highlighted and will be at Springwell, Galleries, Houghton and Hetton?
What happens at Shiney or Herrington Burn? Both key stops, but with no indication on the imagery, other than the NSA's we see presently.
I imagine it isn't possible to represent every stop between the Galleries and Easington Lane, whereas it is on the limited stop section of the route.

Who's to say I haven't prepared another version for next month's changes? Wink

The line-plan format is the same as the format used on the Quaylink services, if you have used any of those services following the re-launch last year. The bus remains static, and it is the stops that move along the line.

In the example I took a photograph of - when the bus reaches the High Level Bridge, 'St Nicholas Cathedral' will move behind the bus (Eldon Square will no longer be shown), and 'Gateshead Interchange' will be highlighted red and move in front of the bus. Everything moves along one, and 'Springwell Village' then takes the place of 'Wrekenton High Street'. The number of squares in between Wrekenton High Street and Easington Lane does not represent the amount of stops - merely that there are a number of stops in between those two locations.

As the bus approaches the end of the route, the squares start to disappear, meaning that there are fewer and fewer stops until the terminal point. When there are just five stops remaining, the bus starts to move along the line.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - citaro5284 - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 5:49 pm)Dan Who's to say I haven't prepared another version for next month's changes? Wink

The line-plan format is the same as the format used on the Quaylink services, if you have used any of those services following the re-launch last year. The bus remains static, and it is the stops that move along the line.

In the example I took a photograph of - when the bus reaches the High Level Bridge, 'St Nicholas Cathedral' will move behind the bus (Eldon Square will no longer be shown), and 'Gateshead Interchange' will be highlighted red and move in front of the bus. Everything moves along one, and 'Springwell Village' then takes the place of 'Wrekenton High Street'. The number of squares in between Wrekenton High Street and Easington Lane does not represent the amount of stops - merely that there are a number of stops in between those two locations.

As the bus approaches the end of the route, the squares start to disappear, meaning that there are fewer and fewer stops until the terminal point. When there are just five stops remaining, the bus starts to move along the line.

Simple really..

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - G-CPTN - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 4:54 pm)Dan Go North East's Next Stop Announcements are currently being reviewed 
The TEN announcements for Station Road Corbridge have the Dyvels (pub) sounding like D'vels when it should be Die-vels.

Just saying.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - citaro5284 - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 6:00 pm)G-CPTN The TEN announcements for Station Road Corbridge have the Dyvels (pub) sounding like D'vels when it should be Die-vels.

Just saying.

The TEN is another route high up the list to do (and put right)  Smile

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Diamond One - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 4:54 pm)Dan A few photographs taken today are below:

[Image: 24649030215_3171066e49.jpg]Go North East: 'Next Stop' Announcements by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 24622830336_85a4b947cc.jpg]Go North East: 'Next Stop' Announcements by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

them NSA reminds me of the Lynx buses they use over in Florida when i have been on them last time i was on a Lynx bus was September 2015 except these NSA didn't talk only said this "Thank You for riding the bus" or "Lynx 42 to Orlando Premium Outlet"

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Andreos1 - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 5:56 pm)citaro5284 Simple really..

You deleted your other comment before I had a chance to reply...
I think we all worked out the bus moved along, even though nobody asked that.
Do the wheels turn too?

The question was about the stops not on the visual imagery and how they would be portrayed.

Simple really..

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Adrian - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 6:32 pm)Andreos1 You deleted your other comment before I had a chance to reply...
I think we all worked out the bus moved along, even though nobody asked that.
Do the wheels turn too?

The question was about the stops not on the visual imagery and how they would be portrayed.

Simple really..

Not sure I understand the question, but I'd say it's fairly common to break up a long passage of information by using "..." or another visual representation. It works quite well on Quaylink, and you can immediately the next stop plus another 4 or 5, at any one time. It doesn't catch you out at least, as it does with the old slides.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Malarkey - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 5:56 pm)citaro5284 Simple really..

Yeah when system works Tongue , experienced the teething issues first hand as I had the pleasure of the Updated NSAs on 6050 tonight, there was no announcement of St Nicholas Cathedral being the next stop upon departing Eldon Square as you would expect, and didnt come on till we went past the Cathedral itself, this pattern continued as we went through Gateshead, Q.E. Hospital, Wrekenton and Springwell Village, with no announcement for Washington Galleries where 6050 terminated, other than the above issue I really like the look of the updated announcements.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - dannygee - 27 Jan 2016

What about on the cobalt clippers theres a few stops that come up on screen but arent spoken

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Adrian - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 7:35 pm)dannygee What about on the cobalt clippers theres a few stops that come up on screen but arent spoken

Dan has only said a few posts earlier, that they're expecting to roll out the new format on all services.

(27 Jan 2016, 7:34 pm)Malarkey Yeah when system works Tongue , experienced the teething issues first hand as I had the pleasure of the Updated NSAs on 6050 tonight, there was no announcement of St Nicholas Cathedral being the next stop upon departing Eldon Square as you would expect, and didnt come on till we went past the Cathedral itself, this pattern continued as we went through Gateshead, Q.E. Hospital, Wrekenton and Springwell Village, with no announcement for Washington Galleries where 6050 terminated, other than the above issue I really like the look of the updated announcements.

It actually said next stop after you had gone through the stop, just it was not doing that when we were on it this morning?

Was it not announcing the next stop as soon as the doors were closed (ie saying next stop is Springwell Village when the doors were closed at Wrekenton)

(27 Jan 2016, 6:42 pm)Adrian Not sure I understand the question, but I'd say it's fairly common to break up a long passage of information by using "..." or another visual representation. It works quite well on Quaylink, and you can immediately the next stop plus another 4 or 5, at any one time. It doesn't catch you out at least, as it does with the old slides.

The question about the wheels turning?
Simple really.. Wink

Nah, the initial question was about the line map and how stops not on it would be represented.
So if you look at the photo, there is no mention of Shiney Row.
However, Dan has explained that as the journey progresses those stops not shown on the map early on, appear further on with an updated map.

I have been on the Q3 since the changes, but as I knew where I was going - I didn't bother looking or using the display.

However, I do prefer these visual screens or the ANE versions as opposed to the scrolling dot matrix ones seen on the 78.
I keep expecting my name to appear telling me to go to consulting room 3. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2016 - Malarkey - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 7:42 pm)citaro5284 It actually said next stop after you had gone through the stop, just it was not doing that when we were on it this morning?

Was it not announcing the next stop as soon as the doors were closed (ie saying next stop is Springwell Village when the doors were closed at Wrekenton)

No it was announcing after we had already passed that stop, so when we departed Wrekenton for example, it would then announce the next stop is Wrekenton and continued on in that pattern for every stop we passed.