North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=1801)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - LeeCalder - 16 Jun 2016

(16 Jun 2016, 8:29 pm)1115743 I'm not educated on this topic, so what are the negatives of the change in service ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is being withdrawn Wink

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - 1115743 - 16 Jun 2016

(16 Jun 2016, 8:30 pm)LeeCalder It is being withdrawn Wink

Aaaaaaa that explains

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - LeeCalder - 16 Jun 2016

(16 Jun 2016, 8:26 pm)Michael Ye, the comments from passengers on the GNE Facebook page aren't good either....

Maybe they should of kept that 11 but ran it hourly and have the new 11 as a different number although, like you Lee, i don't live in the areas of the changes so can't really comment on them.

Agreed, one person actually offered to fight Go North East, I don't think that will go down too well.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - Tom - 16 Jun 2016

To be fair I don't get why the couldn't just make the 10A half hourly considering it gets a 33 minute layover at Blackhall Mill anyway... so would be the same PVR I'd imagine?

The 11 never really gets busy between Newcastle and Blaydon that's the problem, and if they don't want to go via Metrocentre there is a 12 every 15 minutes from Blaydon which they can change onto.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - Dan - 17 Jun 2016

(16 Jun 2016, 8:34 pm)Tom To be fair I don't get why the couldn't just make the 10A half hourly considering it gets a 33 minute layover at Blackhall Mill anyway... so would be the same PVR I'd imagine?

The 11 never really gets busy between Newcastle and Blaydon that's the problem, and if they don't want to go via Metrocentre there is a 12 every 15 minutes from Blaydon which they can change onto.

The portion between Greenside and Blackhall Mill is secured by Nexus, so it's down to them to decide the route and frequency of the service between these two locations.

As posted elsewhere on the forum, "the number of passengers using existing service 11 from Greenside to reach Newcastle Business Park has been very disappointing, at around just two per day."

The number of direct buses between Newcastle Business Park and Blaydon, Ryton and Crawcrook (10X) has therefore been reduced to better match the number of people travelling, at peak times only.

It is unfortunate that the direct link from Greenside will be broken, but the very low usage means that it is just not sustainable to continue providing this direct link.

During the day, connections can be made between frequent TEN buses and frequent Toonlink 12/12A buses.

Whilst a number of people have signed said petition, I often think this is due to the increasing use of Social Media. It takes minutes to share the petiton on Facebook, and seconds to sign it. Even if you don't use buses, you could sign it because one of your friends has shared it and asked you to sign it (in order to build up the numbers). It's really not a true reflection, and if all of these people were making use of the direct link between Blackhall Mill, Greenside, Crawcrook, and Ryton, the service (quite frankly) wouldn't be being withdrawn.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - Dan - 17 Jun 2016

(16 Jun 2016, 8:30 pm)LeeCalder It is being withdrawn Wink

But, importantly, partly replaced too. You forgot that key detail, Lee!

As for your previous comment about drivers not being happy - I am guessing that you probably don't understand the politics behind it.

By what I can gather, the rota that these services are on at the moment will have a reduced amount of work allocated to it. The concern from drivers is that this has happened several times now, which to them would suggest that the rota will disappear completely in time. This would mean that they'd have to be allocated to a different rota - one with different (or a larger number of) services.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - LeeCalder - 17 Jun 2016

(17 Jun 2016, 4:45 am)Dan But, importantly, partly replaced too. You forgot that key detail, Lee!

As for your previous comment about drivers not being happy - I am guessing that you probably don't understand the politics behind it.

By what I can gather, the rota that these services are on at the moment will have a reduced amount of work allocated to it. The concern from drivers is that this has happened several times now, which to them would suggest that the rota will disappear completely in time. This would mean that they'd have to be allocated to a different rota - one with different (or a larger number of) services.

I wouldn't say it has been replaced, I would say passengers have been suggested other services which follow or near enough follow the same route.

I would also suggest you are incorrect on the second point, five of the seven or so drivers I have seen sharing it I know all live on or close to the route of the 11, and understand the people need to use it....

Maybe if the service hadn't been complicated last year, it would have stood a chance. But, that's just my opinion.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - MurdnunoC - 17 Jun 2016

(17 Jun 2016, 9:44 am)LeeCalder I wouldn't say it has been replaced, I would say passengers have been suggested other services which follow or near enough follow the same route.

I would also suggest you are incorrect on the second point, five of the seven or so drivers I have seen sharing it I know all live on or close to the route of the 11, and understand the people need to use it....

Maybe if the service hadn't been complicated last year, it would have stood a chance. But, that's just my opinion.

From a passenger point of view, the service wasn't that complicated. The only thing remotely complicated was that passengers alighted on Grainger Street or Market Street in Newcastle, but boarded at Eldon Square as per usual. Every other part of the route, aside from swapping the routes of the  10A and 11 around at the Folly, is/was pretty straight forward.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - Rapidsnap - 17 Jun 2016

Is the MetroCity broken, can't seem to find it on the 16 today

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - samwise - 17 Jun 2016

As a regular user of the 11 I will be very sad to see the service go. 

I will always go out for the 11 over a 10 as the service seems to be more reliable than a 10. For me the main advantage of the 11 was that it was quick! Leave Blaydon on time then belt it to Newcastle along Scotswood Road with the change of it missing out the Business Park I was able to do my journey in 25 minutes! I liked the route into Newcastle City Centre no waiting for all the taxis and pedestrians on Newgate Street or queuing to get into Eldon Square. The stop on Grainger Street was more convenient for changing onto the Metro at Monument. 

The fact I had a choice of a bus that doesn't serve the MetroCentre will also be missed. Apart the terrible congestion on Saturdays it's great to get on a bus that doesn't pick up all the charvers. 

I miss the Omnicities but part of the 11 was the attraction of not getting on the same old Ten B9s. The dual door B10BLEs are passed it but sometimes you can get a Versa or a Citaro. 

The peak time extras- not sure if we are losing more of these? The previous Bendy and now X66 Streetlite journeys always well loaded and the evening extras were the ones I will try and catch home as these runs have OmniDekkas and Vykings.

As much as I would like a faster, reliable, direct bus service to Newcastle I'm sure I will be able to live with the increased journey times and the loss of 2 buses an hour on the corridor. 

Still a good service from the days of 602 / 604 and these changes are like the old 610 route.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - MurdnunoC - 17 Jun 2016

(17 Jun 2016, 12:42 pm)samwise As a regular user of the 11 I will be very sad to see the service go. 

I will always go out for the 11 over a 10 as the service seems to be more reliable than a 10. For me the main advantage of the 11 was that it was quick! Leave Blaydon on time then belt it to Newcastle along Scotswood Road with the change of it missing out the Business Park I was able to do my journey in 25 minutes! I liked the route into Newcastle City Centre no waiting for all the taxis and pedestrians on Newgate Street or queuing to get into Eldon Square. The stop on Grainger Street was more convenient for changing onto the Metro at Monument. 

The fact I had a choice of a bus that doesn't serve the MetroCentre will also be missed. Apart the terrible congestion on Saturdays it's great to get on a bus that doesn't pick up all the charvers. 

I miss the Omnicities but part of the 11 was the attraction of not getting on the same old Ten B9s. The dual door B10BLEs are passed it but sometimes you can get a Versa or a Citaro. 

The peak time extras- not sure if we are losing more of these? The previous Bendy and now X66 Streetlite journeys always well loaded and the evening extras were the ones I will try and catch home as these runs have OmniDekkas and Vykings.

As much as I would like a faster, reliable, direct bus service to Newcastle I'm sure I will be able to live with the increased journey times and the loss of 2 buses an hour on the corridor. 

Still a good service from the days of 602 / 604 and these changes are like the old 610 route.

Living in Rowlands Gill, I tended to use the 611 (forerunner to today's 47) for similar reasons as the route along Scotswood Road seemed a lot faster than the route through Dunston and Metrocentre which every other bus to the area took. However, and granted this is going back over 10 years now, I don't seem to recall that many people boarding/alighting on Scotswood Road aside from the odd person at either AA or BA in Newcastle Business Park. 

During peak times, the Scotswood Road service was replaced by an extended 32 and, out of novelty, I used to sometimes get this bus into Newcastle in the mornings while attending uni. Once again, even with passengers from both Blaydon and Winlaton, it was only a handful of people who alighted at Newcastle Business Park with only one travelling from Rowlands Gill despite decent loadings. Needless to say, this service was eventually withdrawn.

While I would love (and therefore choose) a Metrocentre-avoiding bus, travelling patterns sadly dictate that there's no business case for GNE to provide one. Unlike the 604, and now the 11, there have been no strong views or petitions created to save (or resurrect) either the 611 or the lengthy peak-time 32.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - Rapidsnap - 17 Jun 2016

Never mind found Metrocity out of use in the depot

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - Andreos1 - 17 Jun 2016

6047 and a.n.other branded Gemini parked on the northbound slip A19/A690.
It looked like 6047 was the one picking up some new passengers.

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - TEN 6083 - 17 Jun 2016

Arriva's 604 route was a better route than the 10B that replaced it in my opinion as it stopped outside my front door. I was not happy when GNE changed the route to avoid the housing estates in Prudhoe resulting in a walk up a very steep hill from the Front Street. 686 isn't much help as it only runs between 0947 and 1416 past my house. Do remember a few years ago GNE did have a service 11 to replace the 604 when they first took over the routes before the start of the TEN brand that went through the housing estates but unfortunately it was withdrawn due to passenger numbers.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - Malarkey - 17 Jun 2016

4969 (NK53 UNV) which was repainted into Go North Easts Corporate Livery last week, was seen leaving Saltmeadows just after 12pm, I would gather this will have been returned to Deptford ahead of transferring to Percy Main when Service Changes occur, if it hasn't already.

5217 (NK54 NVN) also arrived at Saltmeadows around 12pm also, the final Prince Bishops branded Scania L94UB Wright Solar to be repainted into Go North Easts Corporate Livery. 4975 (NK53 UOB) was also parked up awaiting to be prepared for a Blue Repaint.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - Michael - 17 Jun 2016

(17 Jun 2016, 2:46 pm)Malarkey 4969 (NK53 UNV) which was repainted into Go North Easts Corporate Livery last week, was seen leaving Saltmeadows just after 12pm, I would gather this will have been returned to Deptford ahead of transferring to Percy Main when Service Changes occur, if it hasn't already.

5217 (NK54 NVN) also arrived at Saltmeadows around 12pm also, the final Prince Bishops branded Scania L94UB Wright Solar to be repainted into Go North Easts Corporate Livery. 4975 (NK53 UOB) was also parked up awaiting to be prepared for a Blue Repaint.

Thanks for the updates.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - S813 FVK - 17 Jun 2016

Unless something has changed, 4969 will have been repainted in a lighter red for service 39 as opposed to the darker red used in the corporate livery: http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/gnefleetitem.php?fleetno=4969

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - Malarkey - 17 Jun 2016

(17 Jun 2016, 4:40 pm)S813 FVK Unless something has changed, 4969 will have been repainted in a lighter red for service 39 as opposed to the darker red used in the corporate livery: http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/gnefleetitem.php?fleetno=4969

To be honest I cant tell the difference between the two shades of Red, so here is the photo I got of 4969.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - S813 FVK - 17 Jun 2016

(17 Jun 2016, 4:49 pm)Malarkey To be honest I cant tell the difference between the two shades of Red, so here is the photo I got of 4969.

I can see what you mean - that looks incredibly like the corporate livery shade of red. Might just be the rain though.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 - BusLoverMum - 17 Jun 2016

"it's great to get on a bus that doesn't pick up all the charvers."

Well, that's one way to lose sympathy for an argument.