North East Buses
Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 (/showthread.php?tid=1832)

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Stanleyone - 04 Jul 2019

(04 Jul 2019, 6:59 pm)L469 YVK

I think the X-Lines brand is great to be fair to GNE. As long as they don't dilute it the way Arriva did with MAX, then I can see X-Lines being a success. Ok, maybe questionable about the Red Kites joining the X-Lines brand but the X45/X46 are only slightly slower than the X70/X71.

X-Lines potential list of routes:

- X1

- X5/X15 - Done

- X6/X7/X20 - Done

- X9/X10

- X21

- X30/X31/X32 - Done

- X45/X46/X47 - Done

- X70/X71/X72 - Done

- X84/X85

X21 joining the brand when new buses arrive (2 new plus others rebranded)

(04 Jul 2019, 6:09 pm)BeachBoy99

Better than the horrific X-lines brand...

Really don’t think MG or the senior management team will be too worried what enthusiasts think of the brand or the number of services added, as long as it grows the passenger numbers.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - L469 YVK - 04 Jul 2019

(04 Jul 2019, 7:10 pm)Stanleyone

Really don’t think MG or the senior management team will be too worried what enthusiasts think of the brand or the number of services added, as long as it grows the passenger numbers.

With regards to the X21, you all probably knew about me banging on about swapping 6301-07 with 6111-17 (when the PVR was 7x) but with a potential clean air zone coming in, the B9TLs will most likely carry a heavier penalty charge than the StreetDecks (whch will be much lower or even be exempt).

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - RobinHood - 04 Jul 2019

(02 Jul 2019, 7:34 pm)L469 YVK

Well that's exactly why GNE will want to keep these under wraps.

Due to the scale of ANE's more national management, they won't check as soon as they can get copies from VOSA. Obviously they'll check eventually but not straight away.

ANE will also have other divisions and competitors to take care off.

You do realise that Arriva do still have Sunderland based Commercial team, who I can assure you, know exactly what the changes were and had a copy of the registration the day it was accepted by the traffic commissioner.

All bus companies keep a very close eye on N&P. As soon registrations are accepted, they obtain copies if it is of interest.

GNE waiting until last minute to release to the public has nothing to do with competitive reasoning.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - BeachBoy99 - 04 Jul 2019

(04 Jul 2019, 7:10 pm)Stanleyone

Well they should. Just because we're enthusiasts doesn't mean we aren't customers? I use GNE regularly...

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - ne14ne1 - 04 Jul 2019

(04 Jul 2019, 6:09 pm)BeachBoy99

Better than the horrific X-lines brand...

At least the X-Lines brand doesn't use the same awful nursery school font that 'Toonlink' is splattered across the buses in.

(04 Jul 2019, 6:28 pm)BusLoverMum

Well if it is scrapped, the Black Cats livery's days are likely numbered, too.
<meta charset="utf-8">

Fingers crossed.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - JM03 - 04 Jul 2019

(04 Jul 2019, 4:51 pm)JP6004

I think it's quite smart. The B9s looked great when they first got repainted black

Toon link is my favourite brand, going to be a shame seeing it get dropped but could've been used on more better bus routes with more Geordie-based areas tbh or even expanded beyond the County Durham based buses. If it was on more buses like the black cats as that is on multiple buses going to different areas of Sunderland. Tyne valley ten and city links could've as easily been Toon Link in my eyes but Durham Diamond could probably get used on these buses too.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - S813 FVK - 04 Jul 2019

(04 Jul 2019, 7:45 pm)BeachBoy99

Well they should. Just because we're enthusiasts doesn't mean we aren't customers? I use GNE regularly...

And just because you're a customer doesn't mean you have the automatic right to tell them what brands they can and can't have.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - JP6004 - 04 Jul 2019

(04 Jul 2019, 8:15 pm)JM03

Toon link is my favourite brand, going to be a shame seeing it get dropped but could've been used on more better bus routes with more Geordie-based areas tbh or even expanded beyond the County Durham based buses. If it was on more buses like the black cats as that is on multiple buses going to different areas of Sunderland. Tyne valley ten and city links could've as easily been Toon Link in my eyes but Durham Diamond could probably get used on these buses too.

Would be pointless branding services for toonlink if they don't even go to Newcastle

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - streetdeckfan - 04 Jul 2019

(04 Jul 2019, 8:15 pm)JM03

Toonlink joins with Red Kites as my least favourite brand, probably something to do with finding the word 'Toon' a step beyond cringy! Although, I think Red Kites might be slightly worse, if only because of those eyes (they give me nightmares!)

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - BeachBoy99 - 05 Jul 2019

(04 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm)S813 FVK

And just because you're a customer doesn't mean you have the automatic right to tell them what brands they can and can't have.

Excuse me? Just because I have an opinion on designs doesn't mean you have to be a total arse about it. I'm not saying I have any influence on what brands they produce; it's just terrible that they are standardising everything when they are literally renowned for having a diverse range of liveries. Honestly. *_*

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - ne14ne1 - 05 Jul 2019

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and everyones tastes are different. I suspect the majority of customers don't really give two hoots what colour their bus is, what name has been given to the route, or what font the brand uses.

Some may think of GNE as being known for having a diverse range of liveries - others may see GNE as having a wide collection of mismatched brands and confused identities.
Personally I think they've got a few smart route brands, but equally several look rather amateurish & dated now or even look like they were competition entries from joe public.

I'm in favour of some standardisation now. When I see one of the latest 2019 corporate liveried buses (ie no blue front panel) I think wow, now that looks smart, clean and professional - a corporate image to be proud of - time to drop most of the route brands with the exception of just a handful of flagship routes and expresses.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - JP6004 - 05 Jul 2019

(05 Jul 2019, 4:17 pm)ne14ne1

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and everyones tastes are different. I suspect the majority of customers don't really give two hoots what colour their bus is, what name has been given to the route, or what font the brand uses.

Some may think of GNE as being known for having a diverse range of liveries - others may see GNE as having a wide collection of mismatched brands and confused identities.
Personally I think they've got a few smart route brands, but equally several look rather amateurish & dated now or even look like they were competition entries from joe public.

I'm in favour of some standardisation now. When I see one of the latest 2019 corporate liveried buses (ie no blue front panel) I think wow, now that looks smart, clean and professional - a corporate image to be proud of - time to drop most of the route brands with the exception of just a handful of flagship routes and expresses.

The reason why branding was introduced was because it was easier to identify a bus by its colour rather than the number, making it a lot easier on main routes and cities. For example eldon square, you know that if it's a black DD you know its toonlink, green it's the angel, red it's the X1. I still think branding has a big part to play, however I think that some do need a bit of a refresh

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - streetdeckfan - 05 Jul 2019

(05 Jul 2019, 4:17 pm)ne14ne1

I'm in favour of some standardisation now. Drop all route brands except for a handful of flagship routes, plus express services.
Sometimes when I see one of the latest 2019 corporate liveried buses (ie no blue front panel) I think wow, now that looks smart, clean and professional - a corporate image to be proud of - just present the whole fleet like that, (again, maybe with the exception of just a handful of flagship routes and expresses).

I agree with you there. But it depends on your definition of flagship routes.

For me I would keep the independent branding on Angel, Castles Express, X9/X10, Tyne Valley Ten (although change it so it doesn't look like it was designed by a primary school), 56 (once again change it as it's currently awful), Quaylink, Cobalt and Coast.
Basically, any route that has competition or goes along a route where a lot of people can see it

I like the idea of Xlines but they've already started diluting it too much for my taste. There is no way on earth 45/46/47 deserve to be branded as an express route. Sure, it's none stop from MetroCentre to Newcastle, but it might as well have been already since people rarely used them stops.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - BeachBoy99 - 05 Jul 2019

I apologise for my outburst last night. I'm really struggling in life at the moment and the tiniest things are seeming to annoy/upset me lately. I'm not usually like that.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - WestDurhamSwift - 05 Jul 2019

(05 Jul 2019, 4:32 pm)streetdeckfan I agree with you there. But it depends on your definition of flagship routes.

For me I would keep the independent branding on Angel, Castles Express, X9/X10, Tyne Valley Ten (although change it so it doesn't look like it was designed by a primary school), 56 (once again change it as it's currently awful), Quaylink, Cobalt and Coast.
Basically, any route that has competition or goes along a route where a lot of people can see it

I like the idea of Xlines but they've already started diluting it too much for my taste. There is no way on earth 45/46/47 deserve to be branded as an express route. Sure, it's none stop from MetroCentre to Newcastle, but it might as well have been already since people rarely used them stops.

With the 45/46 they should of rerouted them away from the housing estates around Consett, only stopping on the main roads. Would easily knock another 10minutes off the journey.

Reroute one of the Venture services to cover the estates, or make the current venture services around those areas more frequent.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Stanleyone - 05 Jul 2019

(05 Jul 2019, 6:46 pm)Arcticrossy92

With the 45/46 they should of rerouted them away from the housing estates around Consett, only stopping on the main roads. Would easily knock another 10minutes off the journey.

Reroute one of the Venture services to cover the estates, or make the current venture services around those areas more frequent.

You’d be surprised how many folk are picked up around the estates that travel to Newcastle, so removing these routes from the estates would seem rather pointless. The whole idea of the changes is to reduce the time spent travelling, whilst the timetable doesn’t seem to show a great deal of difference, mentally a bus not stopping seems quicker (in my opinion).

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - streetdeckfan - 05 Jul 2019

(05 Jul 2019, 7:50 pm)Stanleyone

You’d be surprised how many folk are picked up around the estates that travel to Newcastle, so removing these routes from the estates would seem rather pointless. The whole idea of the changes is to reduce the time spent travelling, whilst the timetable doesn’t seem to show a great deal of difference, mentally a bus not stopping seems quicker (in my opinion).

Then they should have kept them as they were and added the X45/X46 as a separate service. Or, maybe, not rebranded them to Xlines

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - ne14ne1 - 05 Jul 2019

(05 Jul 2019, 4:32 pm)streetdeckfan I agree with you there. But it depends on your definition of flagship routes.

Yup those are pretty much the routes I was referring to as flagships. Smile

(And I agree with your comment about diluting XLines too).

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - S813 FVK - 05 Jul 2019

I’d be interested to see if the 45 etc would have been renumbered had the decision to tag them onto the X31/X70/X71 not been made.

The interworking plans, X30 extension and removal of the 30 for the M6 means that barring the CLS Towns and Cathedral Bus, every Hownsgill based bus will end up at Consett over the course of its service day. How many driver changeovers will still take place at Stanley?

Leaning towards the argument that these changes are more for operational reasons than for the benefit of passengers.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Jamie M - 05 Jul 2019

(05 Jul 2019, 8:51 pm)S813 FVK

I’d be interested to see if the 45 etc would have been renumbered had the decision to tag them onto the X31/X70/X71 not been made.

The interworking plans, X30 extension and removal of the 30 for the M6 means that barring the CLS Towns and Cathedral Bus, every Hownsgill based bus will end up at Consett over the course of its service day. How many driver changeovers will still take place at Stanley?

Leaning towards the argument that these changes are more for operational reasons than for the benefit of passengers.

Stanley finishing 16As are pretty much guaranteed to be changeovers until evening.