North East Buses
Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 (/showthread.php?tid=1832)

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - L469 YVK - 06 Jul 2019

So, will the evening X30 and X70 journeys be run by Riverside? If so, what will the interworking pattern be and what vehicle type will be used?

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Stanleyone - 06 Jul 2019

(06 Jul 2019, 11:56 am)L469 YVK So, will the evening X30 and X70 journeys be run by Riverside? If so, what will the interworking pattern be and what vehicle type will be used?

X30 riverside inter working with 6A, don’t know what type. Dan might answer this on his return from hols.

X70 Consett could be streetdecks or diamond streetlites as it is now. We never get told operational equipment. Again this could be for dan.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - big mac - 07 Jul 2019

I agree with the comments about the dilution of the Xlines services by including the 45/46/47 in them.  Surely to count as an express route it should be limited stop on large sections if not all of the route? The renumbered x45 will still serve all stops between Consett and Metrocentre. On that principle, they could have added the 10 in to Xlines as its basically the same thing. Stop at every stop then non stop from metrocentre to Newcastle.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - peter - 07 Jul 2019

(07 Jul 2019, 9:56 am)big mac

I agree with the comments about the dilution of the Xlines services by including the 45/46/47 in them.  Surely to count as an express route it should be limited stop on large sections if not all of the route? The renumbered x45 will still serve all stops between Consett and Metrocentre. On that principle, they could have added the 10 in to Xlines as its basically the same thing. Stop at every stop then non stop from metrocentre to Newcastle.

I hate to say it, but for me X-Lines has become GNE's equivalent of Arriva's Max brand. Unnecessarily renumbering services to have the X-prefix, something which has always been used to distinguish an express service, just so they can fit services in with the new 'brand I.D'. From a marketing perspective it is quite a good one, the average passengers get upgraded vehicles and are lured into thinking their bus is quicker, but I think the reality for those a lot more in the know about bus routes and services such as members of this forum is that it seems a little unimaginative, is arguably inapplicable to some of the services, and compared to GNE's previous brand history, is a bit bland. 

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - L469 YVK - 07 Jul 2019

In perspective though, the X45/X46 are only 2-5 mins slower than the X70/X71.

I wouldn't exactly say GNE have abused the X-Lines brand the way Arriva have with MAX. Passengers around the Consett and Stanley areas will benefit from better operational efficiency.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - big mac - 07 Jul 2019

Another strange thing is the lack of pattern or logic to the Xlines brand. For example in the last round of changes, the x25 had its "x" prefix removed, even though it still remains an express between Wrekenton and Gateshead.

So on the one hand, they are wanting the "big up" the fact that a short section of route is express ie. The x45, but on the other hand with the x25 (now the 25), they want to keep it a secret.

(07 Jul 2019, 12:05 pm)big mac

Another strange thing is the lack of pattern or logic to the Xlines brand. For example in the last round of changes, the x25 had its "x" prefix removed, even though it still remains an express between Wrekenton and Gateshead.

So on the one hand, they are wanting the "big up" the fact that a short section of route is express ie. The x45, but on the other hand with the x25 (now the 25), they want to keep it a secret.

In perspective though, the X25 isn't really an express as the X21 is far quicker from CLS and the 21 only takes slightly longer as well as being more frequent.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - streetdeckfan - 07 Jul 2019

(07 Jul 2019, 12:24 pm)L469 YVK

In perspective though, the X25 isn't really an express as the X21 is far quicker from CLS and the 21 only takes slightly longer as well as being more frequent.

I'd also argue that the X21 isnt that much of an express service either now they've extended it to Tindale. It seems to go round the bloody world. Sure, it's express from Gateshead to CLS, but it's not really that much faster than the 21, and when you consider it's a 2 hour journey end to end, the difference is negligible

(07 Jul 2019, 12:48 pm)streetdeckfan I'd also argue that the X21 isnt that much of an express service either now they've extended it to Tindale. It seems to go round the bloody world. Sure, it's express from Gateshead to CLS, but it's not really that much faster than the 21, and when you consider it's a 2 hour journey end to end, the difference is negligible

But these are the journey times to / from CLS:

- X21 to Newcastle: 31 mins

- X21 to CLS: 30 mins

- 21 to Newcastle: 46 mins

- 21 to CLS: 42 mins

So there's at least 10 minutes saving if not more. It's like people saying that Arriva's X20 isn't an express as it goes all the way to Alnwick despite saving around 10-15 minutes over the X21 / X22.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Malarkey - 07 Jul 2019

Why are you snowflakes complaining about the Red Kites being rebranded to X-Lines because of Go North East making the services non-stop between MetroCentre and Newcastle yet on the flip side your saying the Red Arrows/Castles Express should become X-Lines because of their express nature.

Just to note with the upcoming changes to the Red Kites these services will have a faster journey time point to point than that of the X1/X21 so of course they should fall under X-Lines, In personal opinion I don't see this as brand dilution with Eldon Square becoming a sea of Gold in the coming months, how many services in past carried "Express Link", "Northern Superliner" & "Go Xpress" branding.

If anything for me Go North East are revisiting this type of network branding and it's actually a very clever business strategy on the part of Go North East to promote their express services in order to boost passenger numbers so that less people are taking the car to work etc which is exactly what it's purpose was 15-20 years ago and it worked.

Quite clearly Go North East are investing highly into the network of services which run from Newcastle to Stanley/Consett which many passengers have been calling for since the days in which the services were branded West Durham Swift. A majority of users on here have said on numerous occasions that these services should be invested in on the fleet order predictions thread in the past. Go North East have now done so and you lot still complain.

If you look at the bigger scale of things just look at how much money Go North East have spent since 2013 on the network of services which operate from Stanley/Consett to surrounding areas, quite clearly those previous investments have brought growth over the past 6 years.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Michael - 07 Jul 2019

Also confirmed from Martijn Gilbert on twitter, that the pictures of the red kite will stop on the X45/X46/X47.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Ds1197 - 07 Jul 2019

So far they is X line Cherry/black and White/Green and White and now red kite

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - WestDurhamSwift - 07 Jul 2019

(07 Jul 2019, 4:05 pm)Malarkey

Why are you snowflakes complaining about the Red Kites being rebranded to X-Lines because of Go North East making the services non-stop between MetroCentre and Newcastle yet on the flip side your saying the Red Arrows/Castles Express should become X-Lines because of their express nature.

Just to note with the upcoming changes to the Red Kites these services will have a faster journey time point to point than that of the X1/X21 so of course they should fall under X-Lines, In personal opinion I don't see this as brand dilution with Eldon Square becoming a sea of Gold in the coming months, how many services in past carried "Express Link", "Northern Superliner" & "Go Xpress" branding.

If anything for me Go North East are revisiting this type of network branding and it's actually a very clever business strategy on the part of Go North East to promote their express services in order to boost passenger numbers so that less people are taking the car to work etc which is exactly what it's purpose was 15-20 years ago and it worked.

Quite clearly Go North East are investing highly into the network of services which run from Newcastle to Stanley/Consett which many passengers have been calling for since the days in which the services were branded West Durham Swift. A majority of users on here have said on numerous occasions that these services should be invested in on the fleet order predictions thread in the past. Go North East have now done so and you lot still complain.

If you look at the bigger scale of things just look at how much money Go North East have spent since 2013 on the network of services which operate from Stanley/Consett to surrounding areas, quite clearly those previous investments have brought growth over the past 6 years.

Couldn't agree more! Its nice to see the area getting new buses and advertising them.

Go North Easts only competition is the car in these areas. I live in Consett, and work in Durham/Newcastle and drive. Majority of the the week I drive, but maybe once or twice a week I have to take the bus, using the main services from Consett. The investment and changes are needed!

My only disagreement, and from a personal point of view, I do think removing the 45/46 from the estate's around Consett would be beneficial to the 'Main Route' and using the Venture services as a connection similar to how the current 30/30A works with services at Stanley. I know GNE will have taken data from these services before implementing any changes & from experience they do pick passengers up on these estates, why wouldn't they? but I would argue making the route even quicker, whilst still running along main roads and the main destination wouldn't have a negative effect on passenger numbers, with a good Venture service connecting at points and ensuring the customer isn't paying more. If anything it may encourage patronage along the route for other customers.

Would these estates lose out? Maybe, good links with Venture services would prevent it and keep journey times the same as they are.

Would the route be quicker and fit more with the promotion of an 'Express'? Yes

There are loads of pros & cons to doing this, like any decision that is made by any company you could argue all day.

My issue is that they've literally changed nothing about the 45/46/47 other than change the name. Sure it's now none stop between Metrocentre and Newcastle, but it might as well have been already, in all the times I've used them, I've rarely seen anyone get on or off between them.

And I actually don't think the X21 should fall under X-Lines at all, as I don't see it as an express service. Yes, between Newcastle and Durham it is, but the rest of the route it isn't. In my eyes at least, for a service to be branded as express, there has to be a slow alternative, and since the X21 is the only GNE service that goes to Bishop, it's not.

(07 Jul 2019, 4:21 pm)Michael Also confirmed from Martijn Gilbert on twitter, that the pictures of the red kite will stop on the X45/X46/X47.

As long as they ditch the eyes on the front, they can do what the want!

(07 Jul 2019, 4:41 pm)streetdeckfan

My issue is that they've literally changed nothing about the 45/46/47 other than change the name. Sure it's now none stop between Metrocentre and Newcastle, but it might as well have been already, in all the times I've used them, I've rarely seen anyone get on or off between them.

And I actually don't think the X21 should fall under X-Lines at all, as I don't see it as an express service. Yes, between Newcastle and Durham it is, but the rest of the route it isn't. In my eyes at least, for a service to be branded as express, there has to be a slow alternative, and since the X21 is the only GNE service that goes to Bishop, it's not.

But the X21 is still an express even from Bishop Auckland as Bishop Auckland uses to only get the slower 21 or 724 service.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - ne14ne1 - 07 Jul 2019

So what was their reason for dropping it?  :-s

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - BusLoverMum - 07 Jul 2019

Services through Stanley are certainly well used on a Sunday, when we
often come back from the Metrocentre via Stanley because it takes no
longer than via Gateshead and it's a much more scenic route.

(07 Jul 2019, 4:41 pm)streetdeckfan

The X21 still manages to be a little faster than the Arriva 6, during the week, as it's not snarled up on South Road and Church street and picking up dozens of students who can't be arsed to walk half a mile.

(07 Jul 2019, 8:26 pm)BusLoverMum

Services through Stanley are certainly well used on a Sunday, when we
often come back from the Metrocentre via Stanley because it takes no
longer than via Gateshead and it's a much more scenic route.

I much prefer taking the 'scenic route' wherever possible, mostly because they're usually less busy and I don't like people!

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Andreos1 - 07 Jul 2019

Customers ain't daft. Anyone drawn to the service, under the impression it is fast and express, will be left disappointed when they find out its not.

Even though the X1 operates as an express between the Galleries and Newcastle, it's often no quicker than a 4 and a metro.

Regardless of any measures to stop/not stop, it's the existing road infrastructure that is often the ultimate deciding factor.

Fancy livery and X prefix or not.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - peter - 07 Jul 2019

Is there any clue yet as to what the new daytime interworking patterns of the X30/X31, X45/X46/X47 and X70/X71 will be??