North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=1864)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Jimmi - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 3:32 pm)Adrian They wouldn't last 5 minutes. The B9TLs are already dying a slow death, and they're not even 5 years old.
I feel the X9/X10 needs some form of low floor coach, like what is used on the Oxford Tube. Could probably get 10 years out of them on there before they need replacing where they could then possibly be sold on or keep them for school contracts. Unsure what you'd have as spares though.

Think performance wise the MetroDecker is better than the StreetDeck although I am unsure if it would be a better buy long-term though.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Dan - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 3:46 pm)Jimmi I feel the X9/X10 needs some form of low floor coach, like what is used on the Oxford Tube. Could probably get 10 years out of them on there before they need replacing where they could then possibly be sold on or keep them for school contracts.

Think performance wise the MetroDecker is better than the StreetDeck although I am unsure if it would be a better buy long-term though.

I don't think low-floor coaches would be appropriate for the Tyne Tees Xpress. 

Adrian and I were at Showbus yesterday, and we had a snoop around one of Trent Barton's new coaches used on the Red Arrows service. The driver was answering questions about the coach and one of the things he told us was that the wheelchair lift takes ten minutes to operate. If a wheelchair user wished to use the Tyne Tees Xpress, it would add 20 minutes onto the journey time (10 mins for the wheelchair user to get on, then 10 mins for the wheelchair user to get off). The current timetable does not allow for this sort of increase in journey time.

In addition to this, this type of coach costs approximately £100,000 more per vehicle. That would be an additional £700,000 to replace all six branded Volvo B9TLs and 6084. Although they may last ten years on this route, they may not. There's always a degree of uncertainty in buying new vehicle types as it's impossible to tell what they'll be like later down the line, but it's an expensive gamble if the coaches aren't still completely reliable after ten years in service.

When they do need to be replaced; you'd then have the issue of which route you'd cascade them to, as Hexham wouldn't be able to accommodate anything larger than the former National Express tri-axle Scania Levantes that they're now using on scholars contracts. It would be difficult to sell them given they'd accumulate a very high mileage in ten years.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - NK06JXC - 26 Sep 2016

Does anyone know if the Optare MetroDecker will be allocated to a specific board?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Jimmi - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 3:57 pm)Dan I don't think low-floor coaches would be appropriate for the Tyne Tees Xpress. 

Adrian and I were at Showbus yesterday, and we had a snoop around one of Trent Barton's new coaches used on the Red Arrows service. The driver was answering questions about the coach and one of the things he told us was that the wheelchair lift takes ten minutes to operate. If a wheelchair user wished to use the Tyne Tees Xpress, it would add 20 minutes onto the journey time (10 mins for the wheelchair user to get on, then 10 mins for the wheelchair user to get off). The current timetable does not allow for this sort of increase in journey time.

In addition to this, this type of coach costs approximately £100,000 more per vehicle. That would be an additional £700,000 to replace all six branded Volvo B9TLs and 6084. Although they may last ten years on this route, they may not. You'd then have the issue of which route you'd cascade them to, as Hexham wouldn't be able to accommodate anything larger than the tri-axle Scania Levantes that they're now using on scholars contracts. It would be difficult to sell them given they'd accumulate a very high mileage in ten years.

I meant something like a Neoplan Skyliner with a low floor rather than the Red Arrows Trent Barton have (assuming that's what you were referring to) which are just a bog standard coach from what I can recall. Unsure what wheelchair access is like on something like a Neoplan Skyliner though and if they'd be suited on normal service work.

In addition to the reasons you gave, I'd imagine the fuel costs would be pretty expensive, then there is the issue of size, if this did happen I would imagine that the X9/X10 would have to be taken out of Eldon Square and Middlesbrough Bus Station could be issue.

It's a tricky one the TTX, do you go for a bog standard bus and push them to their limits and have to replace them roughly every 5 years or do you go for some form of coach which would probably last longer but has issues like the above. Based on my experiences of buses which could go on the TTX, I'd say that the Enviro 400MMC's would be the best suited bus for the service (based on my ride on one of Stagecoach Cumbria's Lakes examples along the M6 between Lancaster and Kendal) but then there is the issue of it being a non standard vehicle type within the fleet when they have to inevitably be replaced on the TTX.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - James101 - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 3:57 pm)Dan I don't think low-floor coaches would be appropriate for the Tyne Tees Xpress. 

In addition to this, this type of coach costs approximately £100,000 more per vehicle. That would be an additional £700,000 to replace all six branded Volvo B9TLs and 6084. Although they may last ten years on this route, they may not. There's always a degree of uncertainty in buying new vehicle types as it's impossible to tell what they'll be like later down the line, but it's an expensive gamble if the coaches aren't still completely reliable after ten years in service.

When they do need to be replaced; you'd then have the issue of which route you'd cascade them to, as Hexham wouldn't be able to accommodate anything larger than the former National Express tri-axle Scania Levantes that they're now using on scholars contracts. It would be difficult to sell them given they'd accumulate a very high mileage in ten years.

I don't think the idea for coaches on the TTX is inappropriate; just unlikely. To get around the wheelchair lift issue, maybe Volvo B11Rs with Plaxton Elite i bodys would be better. Due to the interdeck design, wheelchairs roll on and off as per any conventional bus, and there is some seating available on the lower deck for elderly passengers. Yesterday at Showbus, a mutual friend introduced me to Phill Southall, MD at Oxford Bus Company and we actually spoke about the TTX and he drew some comparisons to Oxford's X90 and how the Elite i works well. 

The cost of the vehicles becomes a value concern. It could be argued a more expensive coach which needs replacing every 10 years then sold on is better value than a Volvo B9 which needs replacing after 5 or 6 years before being retired to local service work.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Andreos1 - 26 Sep 2016

Maybe the issues surrounding reliability on the X9/10 is to introduce a more fluid network of vehicles.

This could be through interworking with a less demanding route at one end.
Or, by having the vehicles on a shared route where they aren't allocated to the X9/10 on a daily basis.
If they're on the route half the week, in theory that will double their lifespan - based on a 3 day allocation on the X9/10 and 3 days on a less demanding route.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Rapidsnap - 26 Sep 2016

Optare Metrodecker - This pleases me and I shall be forking out for a day Rover on my week off next week so I can sample it.

Though typical, its like the Metrocity all over again, I wait for ages to get a decent photo and the multiple oppotunities come along in quick succession.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Jamie M - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 5:10 pm)GMitchelhill Optare Metrodecker - This pleases me and I shall be forking out for a day Rover on my week off next week so I can sample it.

Though typical, its like the Metrocity all over again, I wait for ages to get a decent photo and the multiple oppotunities come along in quick succession.
Just spend a day at costa del washy galleries!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - S813 FVK - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 5:18 pm)Jamie M Just spend a day at costa del washy galleries!

He tends to stay away from bus stations and other built up areas so i guess that will certainly be something we won't see him do  Big Grin

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - a718abb - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 1:41 pm)Dan Optare MetroDecker 9099 (YJ16 DFG) has been acquired by Go North East for a period of use of up to 4 months.

It will first be allocated to Washinfor use on the X1 for four weeks.f

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the design of the Optare Metrodekka is very bland, in particular the upper windscree n and dome area. Traditionally, Optare products have been futuristic. In my opinion the Delta for example was way ahead of its competitors, and current single deck Optare designs, still bare a striking resemblance to the Delta. But the Metrodekka design falls far short of these designs. I know the current wrightbus gemini 3 is an aquired taste, but it does have style and character, but I am still undecided about it myself. I have never been a lover of Dennis products, or ADL deckers but i am loath to admit that the ADL e400Mmc is the most  attractive double deck design on the market. I am only talking about the bodywork design, not the engine or drivetrain. And dont mention the New Routemaster (Borismaster). I care not to use bad language on this forum lol.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Jamie M - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 5:42 pm)a718abb Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the design of the Optare Metrodekka is very bland, in particular the upper windscree n and dome area. Traditionally, Optare products have been futuristic. In my opinion the Delta for example was way ahead of its competitors, and current single deck Optare designs, still bare a striking resemblance to the Delta. But the Metrodekka design falls far short of these designs. I know the current wrightbus gemini 3 is an aquired taste, but it does have style and character, but I am still undecided about it myself. I have never been a lover of Dennis products, or ADL deckers but i am loath to admit that the ADL e400Mmc is the most  attractive double deck design on the market. I am only talking about the bodywork design, not the engine or drivetrain. And dont mention the New Routemaster (Borismaster). I care not to use bad language on this forum lol.
I really do like the Gemini II body work as well as the Plaxton President on a trident motor. I'm not really a fan of the streetdeck/metrodeck/whatever stagecoach has with unpronounceable name. They look a bit weird to me.
Haven't looked at the G3 bodywork enough to notice anything from the G2.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Dan - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 3:05 pm)streetlite5402 Allocated to scholars service 885 this afternoon.

Which runs onto service X1. Photos below:

[Image: 29947038975_6a1e28ebd2.jpg]Go North East: 9099 / YJ16DFG by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 29947033255_7f6b07ac0a.jpg]Go North East: 9099 / YJ16DFG by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 29947026825_ca1e1d7155.jpg]Go North East: 9099 / YJ16DFG by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 29913069116_acc8da5d7c.jpg]Go North East: 9099 / YJ16DFG by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Michael - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 6:12 pm)Dan Which runs onto service X1. Photos below:

[Image: 29947038975_6a1e28ebd2.jpg]Go North East: 9099 / YJ16DFG by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 29947033255_7f6b07ac0a.jpg]Go North East: 9099 / YJ16DFG by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 29947026825_ca1e1d7155.jpg]Go North East: 9099 / YJ16DFG by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 29913069116_acc8da5d7c.jpg]Go North East: 9099 / YJ16DFG by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

I don't like that back bottom window at all, other than that it looks alright.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Rapidsnap - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 5:29 pm)S813 FVK He tends to stay away from bus stations and other built up areas so i guess that will certainly be something we won't see him do  Big Grin

Not strictly true, I do visit bus stations if needed or if it fits in with my plans. But I don't know what you would class as built up area, as I would class most of T&W as built up. Mind I won't be hanging around the same bus station all day either. More likely my stratergy would be have a day finding it to travel on, then another day out in my car photoing it in different locations.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - a718abb - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 6:16 pm)Michael I don't like that back bottom window at all, other than that it looks alright.

After having seen these photos, i am even more convinced than before of the blandness, now that I have seen the rear for the first time. However, credit where credit is due, the interior seems high spec.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - L469 YVK - 26 Sep 2016

Remember folks, it's not the outside that counts, it's the inside and if it can live up to the standards of many other past deckers out there (positive reviews), then that'll suffice.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - Malarkey - 26 Sep 2016

Myself personally I would purchase 6 Plaxton Elite i's as they can seat up to 75 Passengers, 71 Upperdeck and 4 Lower with 1 Wheelchair which doesn't require a lift which takes 20 Minutes to get a wheelchair user on and off, as it has roll on/roll off accessibility, alternatively you have the Van Hool TDX Astromega.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - mb134 - 26 Sep 2016

(26 Sep 2016, 6:12 pm)Dan Which runs onto service X1. Photos below:

Not liking the look of the back of that at all, not just the window, it all looks quite weird. Having said that, the rest does look impressive, particularly internally. Also loving the amount of leg room that the seats just behind the staircase seem to have.

I think I prefer it lookswise to the Streetdeck, which I still find myself unable to warm to. 

Has anyone been on it(/one) yet to see how it performs in comparison to the B5TL/Streetdeck/E400 MMC?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016 - V514DFT - 26 Sep 2016

Venture solo 651 is up at Bells 5311 is still there too

(26 Sep 2016, 8:47 pm)mb134 Not liking the look of the back of that at all, not just the window, it all looks quite weird. Having said that, the rest does look impressive, particularly internally. Also loving the amount of leg room that the seats just behind the staircase seem to have.

I think I prefer it lookswise to the Streetdeck, which I still find myself unable to warm to. 

Has anyone been on it(/one) yet to see how it performs in comparison to the B5TL/Streetdeck/E400 MMC?

I rode it whilst it was with First South Yorkshire on service X78 between Sheffield and Doncaster and I didn't think it was too bad, I actually preferred it to the StreetDeck's that were used on that route at the time. Don't sit at the back downstairs though as the seats aren't comfortable and if I remember correctly there is a heater above that back window. E400MMC's are still my favourite of the current double decker's though.

Will try and catch it tomorrow for another ride to get a better opinion of it.