North East Buses
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - Jimmi - 25 Aug 2017

(25 Aug 2017, 2:54 pm)RobinHood Apparently this one has a higher spec engine, hence the trial.

Also has stop-start technology it seems as well. Had a ride on it this afternoon on the 5 from Bishop Auckland to Newton Aycliffe and it got up Eldon Bank alright, I would say it's possibly better than some StreetLite's I've been on recently but still can't bring myself to like them personally.

I recorded a video of parts of the journey I made on it this afternoon: https://youtu.be/TppDyBhJHzo

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - mb134 - 25 Aug 2017

(25 Aug 2017, 5:18 pm)omnicity4659 StreetDeck SK17 HHC has moved to Redcar, for use there instead of the high-speed interurban routes at Ashington.

So, what exactly was the point of sending it there initially, did they have a change of mind this week without even seeing it in service?  Huh

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - S830OFT - 25 Aug 2017

Does anyone know how long the 2 Demo Buses will be on trial for?

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - omnicity4659 - 25 Aug 2017

(25 Aug 2017, 7:56 pm)mb134 So, what exactly was the point of sending it there initially, did they have a change of mind this week without even seeing it in service?  Huh

Top speed is 50mph, and as StreetLites can't keep to time on any of the expresses its been decided its useless!

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - L469 YVK - 25 Aug 2017

Don't want to go off topic too much here but it's a bit of a sad way that Wrightbus and the bus industry has gone in general. Yes there is some big demand for lightweight and fuel efficient vehicles and these should be ordered where suited and are suitable for a good few routes. But, looking at the double decker markets, there are only 3x options for more heavy duty work or intense interurban work now:

- ADL E400MMC with ZF (meaning competitors subsidising Stagecoach not that Arriva seem to mind as such lately but might change)
- Scania ADL E400MMC with ZF (good but too heavy duty)
- Ensignbus BCI Excellence (looks good but unproven)

Wrightbus should consider offering the Streetdeck and Streetlites with bigger engines (Cummins 6.7?) and gearbox options that are approproately setup as required.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - mb134 - 25 Aug 2017

(25 Aug 2017, 9:52 pm)omnicity4659 Top speed is 50mph, and as StreetLites can't keep to time on any of the expresses its been decided its useless!

Wonder what the hell was going through the heads of whoever sent it to Ashington in the first place at this point! Assuming someone at Ashington depot piped up and told someone that trialling it on the Alnwick expresses would be a completely pointless task if it was limited to 50?

They are going to be seriously hard pressed in a couple of years when it comes to replacing 7412-6, 4653/9, and probably 7511-3 (Including 7511-13 in that because, while only 9 years old, they've had a rough 9 years). One double deck on the market has already been ruled out, currently it seems pigs will fly before Arriva buy anything with a Volvo chassis (even though B8RLEs are probably the best option to replace 4653/9) and Streetlites/E200MMCs aren't capable. That leaves E400 MMCs, and the ones on the X21/22 don't strike me with an awful lot of confidence.

(25 Aug 2017, 10:10 pm)L469 YVK Don't want to go off topic too much here but it's a bit of a sad way that Wrightbus and the bus industry has gone in general. Yes there is some big demand for lightweight and fuel efficient vehicles and these should be ordered where suited and are suitable for a good few routes. But, looking at the double decker markets, there are only 3x options for more heavy duty work or intense interurban work now:

- ADL E400MMC with ZF (meaning competitors subsidising Stagecoach not that Arriva seem to mind as such lately but might change)

Wrightbus should consider offering the Streetdeck and Streetlites with bigger engines (Cummins 6.7?) and gearbox options that are approproately setup as required.

I'm a bit baffled as to why Arriva moved to Voith gearboxes in the MMCs for the X21/22. When they get to speed they seem quite happy to sit there, but it takes far too long to get there! It seems strange to move away from a set up that was working very well in 7522-33, which all perform brilliantly on express services.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - omnicity4659 - 25 Aug 2017

(25 Aug 2017, 10:11 pm)mb134 Wonder what the hell was going through the heads of whoever sent it to Ashington in the first place at this point! Assuming someone at Ashington depot piped up and told someone that trialling it on the Alnwick expresses would be a completely pointless task if it was limited to 50?

They are going to be seriously hard pressed in a couple of years when it comes to replacing 7412-6, 4653/9, and probably 7511-3 (Including 7511-13 in that because, while only 9 years old, they've had a rough 9 years). One double deck on the market has already been ruled out, currently it seems pigs will fly before Arriva buy anything with a Volvo chassis (even though B8RLEs are probably the best option to replace 4653/9) and Streetlites/E200MMCs aren't capable. That leaves E400 MMCs, and the ones on the X21/22 don't strike me with an awful lot of confidence.

Wonder how that happened.  Angel

What I'm told is that the X15 is earmarked for new buses next year, when I was told about the StreetDeck coming for trials, the lad did say that those were the types that were coming. 

What I assume will happen, is that the E400s off the X15 cascade onto the X20, withdrawing or transferring 7412-6.

(25 Aug 2017, 10:32 pm)omnicity4659 Wonder how that happened.  Angel

What I'm told is that the X15 is earmarked for new buses next year, when I was told about the StreetDeck coming for trials, the lad did say that those were the types that were coming. 

What I assume will happen, is that the E400s off the X15 cascade onto the X20, withdrawing or transferring 7412-6.

It's suicide if they are the type coming. The X15 needs all the help it can get as it is, putting buses on that are limited to 50mph is as close to giving up the service as you can get. It stinks of Arriva, as per usual, doing everything on the cheap. The decision to buy B9TLs for the X93 was clearly, as feared, a false dawn. They took over a successful business in Northumbria, that specified buses highly, and bought vehicles appropriate for the routes they'd be allocated to, and have ran it into the ground. 

Again, moving 7511-3 to the X20 is just a disaster waiting to happen. They've been blasted up and down the A1 for the past 9 years, and to expect them to continue to do so is sheer folly. Those 3 should really be moved to the 35 if anything, 7514 is the only one branded for the X15 that should be kept on the expresses. Both the X15 and X20 need brand new vehicles, and not things that are limited to 50mph that will have absolutely no chance of keeping anything on time.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - tyresmoke - 26 Aug 2017

The Streetdeck demonstrator is operating on the X93 today - it left Middlesbrough at 0850 I believe.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - South Tyne Lad - 26 Aug 2017

(25 Aug 2017, 10:48 pm)mb134 It's suicide if they are the type coming. The X15 needs all the help it can get as it is, putting buses on that are limited to 50mph is as close to giving up the service as you can get. It stinks of Arriva, as per usual, doing everything on the cheap. The decision to buy B9TLs for the X93 was clearly, as feared, a false dawn. They took over a successful business in Northumbria, that specified buses highly, and bought vehicles appropriate for the routes they'd be allocated to, and have ran it into the ground. 

Again, moving 7511-3 to the X20 is just a disaster waiting to happen. They've been blasted up and down the A1 for the past 9 years, and to expect them to continue to do so is sheer folly. Those 3 should really be moved to the 35 if anything, 7514 is the only one branded for the X15 that should be kept on the expresses. Both the X15 and X20 need brand new vehicles, and not things that are limited to 50mph that will have absolutely no chance of keeping anything on time.

With the rumors of the North East getting Streetlite's for Darlington next year, I'm worrying that the possibility of Streetdecks for Alnwick route's is highly likely.
B9TL's for the X93 in my opinion has to have been one of there better decisions ( bar that there basically still in Dealer Stock spec with headrests) but its the fact theve continued to wreck there buses in the name of saving fuel ( fitting Econospeed to them in this case ) which has absolutely wrecked there potential on such a demanding route, There pretty much useless on there now going by last ride on the route.

Another thing that baffles me is pretty much all divisions now ordering ADL, Which to be fair is a much Heavy Duty as your going to get at Arriva. Yet we are still sticking with Wrightbus Integral's despite continuous mistakes made by buying them in the past, Streetlites for the X1 etc...
We are one of only 2 or 3 divisions in the country that is ( until now ) trying to find a suitable setup for that god awful Econospeed chip, Which is causing more problems with it fitted than when it isn't.

If this was Stagecoach running exactly the same service's they would have bought Scania N230UD E400's years back before considering them for the new N250UD MMC, All with either High Backed Seating or Stagecoach Gold spec instead, Keeping Driver's/Passengers in comfort and more than likely saving money in the long run...

I'm a bit baffled as to why Arriva moved to Voith gearboxes in the MMCs for the X21/22. When they get to speed they seem quite happy to sit there, but it takes far too long to get there! It seems strange to move away from a set up that was working very well in 7522-33, which all perform brilliantly on express services.
[/quote]

Arriva moved to Voith because there a whole lot cheaper to maintain than ZF despite being unsuitable for the work there doing, They also specified Voith because they are the only ones yet to interwork with the Cummins Stop Start system, Which is specified on all new ADL orders ( again, Another ridiculous money save (ie blower ) )

(25 Aug 2017, 10:10 pm)L469 YVK Don't want to go off topic too much here but it's a bit of a sad way that Wrightbus and the bus industry has gone in general. Yes there is some big demand for lightweight and fuel efficient vehicles and these should be ordered where suited and are suitable for a good few routes. But, looking at the double decker markets, there are only 3x options for more heavy duty work or intense interurban work now:

The fact lightweight Bus Chassis have became so successful bugs me a bit, Perfect for town work. But the fact Operators are killing there own services/imgine with Jerkey Braking, Whiplash inducing gearbox downshift's ( due to being setup to setup more alike to a modern heavy duty bus but having the same pressure placed on a dinky engine ) Awful build quality and are driving Driver's crazy due to how bad they are in all categories. The only lightweight chassis in my eyes that are capable of heavy duty work were the Cummins Powered Optare Versa or the Enviro300, Both now discontinued...

Wrightbus did offer the ZF Ecolife when Euro6 first rolled over, But it was quietly discontinued. Why should they invest more in bigger engines options? There raking in now thanks to crap loopholes which should never been aloud in the first place.

We woudnt of been in this predicament anyways if wasn't for Government actually thinking there tacky Micro-Hybrid system was worthy of claiming BSOG payments. Streetlite sales before BSOG passing and DDA deadlines were terrible, Probably would've been pulled by now if it wasn't for those, After rolling out there Micro-Hybrid crap was when they started seeing there pound signs..

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - L469 YVK - 27 Aug 2017

In terms of the StreetDeck, I would say that it's a vehicle aimed at routes akin to the following criteria:

- Urban Routes such as ANE's 308, GNE's 21.

- Developing and growing routes such as GNE's X21 bearing in mind that it currently has a layover at Bishop Auckland.

Another route in which it would be justified getting Streetdecks but already has E400s would be the 7 due to the variable load factors. The same could also go for the 4x decker boards on the Red Kite which also fall under the same criteria. Not suggesting upgrades on the above routes but just highlighting examples.

However, where a route is more demanding but stable and profitable, then a slightly more heavy duty vehicle could be warranted. The X15 is a proven route and warrants vehicles fit for purpose.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - S830OFT - 27 Aug 2017

Any idea how long the StreetDeck will be on trial for in the North East?

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - Jimmi - 27 Aug 2017

@S830OFT
Supposedly, the StreetDeck is here until Friday.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - S830OFT - 27 Aug 2017

(27 Aug 2017, 10:20 am)Jimmi @S830OFT
Supposedly, the StreetDeck is here until Friday.

That comes as a Suprise, you would usually expect operators to have a Demo on trial for around a month.

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - Jimmi - 27 Aug 2017

@S830OFT

Demonstration loans tend to vary by operator and manufacturer, Go North East only had the Enviro400 City and MMC demonstrators for about a fortnight each (the former later got a second two week trial). One thing to bare in mind is we got this on Monday but spent half the week in Ashington depot not doing anything.

(27 Aug 2017, 10:43 am)Jimmi @S830OFT

Demonstration loans tend to vary by operator and manufacturer, Go North East only had the Enviro400 City and MMC demonstrators for about a fortnight each (the former later got a second two week trial). One thing to bare in mind is we got this on Monday but spent half the week in Ashington depot not doing anything.

I hope to sample the StreetDeck on Wednesday, I think it's on a set board by Redcar because it was on the board that starts at Mbro at 08:50.

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - Jimmi - 27 Aug 2017

@S830OFT

It's at Redcar depot, so will either be the 08:50 or 09:50 off Middlesbrough Bus Station then spend the day on Scarborough - Whitby runs and head back to Middlesbrough from Scarborough at either 17:25 or 18:25. Was the 08:50 off Middlesbrough yesterday.

I'm going to try and catch it either on Tuesday or Wednesday.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - omnicity4659 - 28 Aug 2017

7416 has returned to Ashington from refurbishment which saw the high back Civic V3s and USB chargers fitted along with chrome handrails.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - omnicity4659 - 29 Aug 2017

Contactless Payment stickers are currently being rolled out across the whole fleet.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2017 - Jimmi - 29 Aug 2017

(29 Aug 2017, 2:41 pm)omnicity4659 Contactless Payment stickers are currently being rolled out across the whole fleet.

Vast majority of Darlington's buses have had these fitted within the last week or so.