North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=2138)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Dan - 13 Jul 2018

(13 Jul 2018, 1:45 am)Bus_User Proper destinations... I guess that is an LED type but unless an operator is operating school services with the destination board covered up(which I don't think any do) then why do you have to come across as a bit snobbish I'm afraid to say by saying GNE will have these proper destination blinds when a dot matrix or even a paper blind is more than suitable for services that are not exactly high on the priority list. OK, admittedly maybe a paper blind is not within the contract but don't come across as independents don't have the proper equipment but GNE will. It's all down to money at the end of the day Dan, GNE has bundles to spend on  LED blinds in comparison to an independent operator and that must be remembered and respected.

You've perhaps misunderstood my post... Currently the buses being discussed are running round with vinyls for destination displays on the Tall Ships Park & Ride. As far as I'm concerned, these are not 'proper' destinations, and will be removed ahead of the new scholars contracts starting in September, to be fitted with 'proper' destinations. It wasn't intended as a 'snobbish' jab at any other operator.

On that topic though... Personally I've no issues with operators using buses with flipdot displays opposed to LED - they conform with PSVAR, so no problem as far as I'm concerned. There are a handful which operate with a bit of paper in the windscreen, and a yellow school bus sign as a rear route number display.

In the interests of having a constructive debate as it's been brought up, I am kind of with Andreos on this one. Far too often with contracts, either those which are annually tendered or for bigger 'one-off' jobs like the Tall Ships, it's a race to the bottom as far as quality is concerned.

Again, as in Andreos' case, totally understandable that the council/LA base these contracts on which operator can provide the cheapest and best value solution, but putting that to one side and looking at the perception some passengers will have based on these buses (which is the company's own brand/image etc - it's not the council/LA who are operating these services)... Externally, the bodywork condition on these ex-London B7s which have been acquired by Go North East is in a shocking state... At some point in time I think more or less every panel has been dented, when you see them in the flesh. When you hear the buses before you see them, that also gives off somewhat of a poor perception to passers-by (folk who are normally non-bus users) and probably won't encourage them to jump on-board a bus in that company's commercial network of services, if they were sitting on the fence.

As has been said in the other thread, operators would be willing to provide new(er) vehicles of a better quality, if the council/LA stipulated this in the contract.

Really not sure what gives you the impression that GNE has bundles of money to spend on LED destinations either? If this is a cost that GNE would incur as a result of taking the work on, you'd think it'd either be included within their tender model as a cost which would have to be covered, or it comes directly out of the profits made on these contracts. Going back to the previous discussion, this is why they won't be fitted with any additional features, such as Wi-Fi or USB sockets (it would have added too much cost which probably would have meant that GNE wouldn't have been awarded the contracts!)

One way or the other, it's what should be done by all of the operators operating these contracts, and in no way am I saying that it's every single one of the independents who seemingly aren't doing it. I saw a Henry Cooper Volvo B7RLE operating a scholars service a couple of weeks ago - it was absolutely spotless, the alloys were gleaming, the driver was in a shirt so looked fairly smart, and it was spot on-time in the morning rush hour... I'd doubt even Go North East could commit to this level of quality on all of the contracts they'll operate from September.

[Image: 43196377721_3d6a9b3b5b.jpg]Henry Cooper Coaches: OBR297 by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - RBZ 5459 - 13 Jul 2018

(12 Jul 2018, 6:08 am)Dan 6905 was taken out of service yesterday afternoon at around 3:30pm as it had an issue with the indicators, this has now been repaired so will be out and about again tomorrow.
6931 was out in service all day yesterday until around 8pm - P&R 4 and 5.
6940 wasn't put through MOT test in time at EYMS to make the journey north, which is why 790 (9093) has transferred north on loan this week.

All of these buses will be taken out of service after Tall Ships to allow work to be completed to them to bring them up to standard for September when they start new duties on their scholars services: fitment of LED destination displays, fitment of Go North East's standard CCTV/low bridge warning devices, any other mechanical work that needs to be undertaken, and potentially some going through repaint, to name a few things on the list.

6940 MOT'd and heading up this weekend for the swap.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - makem1 - 13 Jul 2018

In the interests of having a constructive debate as it's been brought up, I am kind of with Andreos on this one. Far too often with contracts, either those which are annually tendered or for bigger 'one-off' jobs like the Tall Ships, it's a race to the bottom as far as quality is concerned.

Again, as in Andreos' case, totally understandable that the council/LA base these contracts on which operator can provide the cheapest and best value solution, but putting that to one side and looking at the perception some passengers will have based on these buses (which is the company's own brand/image etc - it's not the council/LA who are operating these services)... Externally, the bodywork condition on these ex-London B7s which have been acquired by Go North East is in a shocking state... At some point in time I think more or less every panel has been dented, when you see them in the flesh. When you hear the buses before you see them, that also gives off somewhat of a poor perception to passers-by (folk who are normally non-bus users) and probably won't encourage them to jump on-board a bus in that company's commercial network of services, if they were sitting on the fence.

Really not sure what gives you the impression that GNE has bundles of money to spend on LED destinations either? If this is a cost that GNE would incur as a result of taking the work on, you'd think it'd either be included within their tender model as a cost which would have to be covered, or it comes directly out of the profits made on these contracts. Going back to the previous discussion, this is why they won't be fitted with any additional features, such as Wi-Fi or USB sockets (it would have added too much cost which probably would have meant that GNE wouldn't have been awarded the contracts!)

One way or the other, it's what should be done by all of the operators operating these contracts, and in no way am I saying that it's every single one of the independents who seemingly aren't doing it. I saw a Henry Cooper Volvo B7RLE operating a scholars service a couple of weeks ago - it was absolutely spotless, the alloys were gleaming, the driver was in a shirt so looked fairly smart, and it was spot on-time in the morning rush hour... I'd doubt even Go North East could commit to this level of quality on all of the contracts they'll operate from September.

[Image: 43196377721_3d6a9b3b5b.jpg]Henry Cooper Coaches: OBR297 by Daniel Graham, on Flickr
[/quote]
If people think the buses are bad, try Northern rails pacers, and as for Sunderlands docks, part of them look like a chernobyl aftermath, and we have the cheek to charge £20 a car parking!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Charles41 - 13 Jul 2018

(13 Jul 2018, 5:32 pm)makem1 In the interests of having a constructive debate as it's been brought up, I am kind of with Andreos on this one. Far too often with contracts, either those which are annually tendered or for bigger 'one-off' jobs like the Tall Ships, it's a race to the bottom as far as quality is concerned.

If people think the buses are bad, try Northern rails pacers, and as for Sunderlands docks, part of them look like a chernobyl aftermath, and we have the cheek to charge £20 a car parking!
[/quote]

Sunderland docks are a lot better now. I remember visiting the old Redby Travel garage in Hendon in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Walking past the flats was like taking your life in your hands.

With regards to councils taking the cheapest tender. I don't think you can get much worse than PCL Travel using an old Variety Club Sunshine Coach on the former Spirit Buses route.

Charles

Charles

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Michael - 13 Jul 2018

When will 718 enter service at Peterlee?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - G-CPTN - 13 Jul 2018

The GNE X85 runs through Hexham to Newbrough - which apparently replaced a Tyne Valley Coaches route?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - westy3738 - 14 Jul 2018

(13 Jul 2018, 9:20 pm)G-CPTN The GNE X85 runs through Hexham to Newbrough - which apparently replaced a Tyne Valley Coaches route?

Hexham to Newbrough/Haydon Bridge was originally Tyne Valley 881 which ran irregularly. Replaced apprpx 2004 by the Arriva service 804 which ran hourly. Subsequently replaced by the 683 and now the X85.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Malarkey - 14 Jul 2018

Thought I would share this with everyone.

Coach & Bus Week Magazine have in the last week sat down with Commercial Director Stephen King to discuss how he made a name for himself in marketing, in the 4 page article photograph's from Myself and Daniel Graham feature, attached below is the article.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - upt50k - 14 Jul 2018

(12 Jul 2018, 1:19 pm)Dan Yes - as discussed elsewhere on the board, Go North East has been awarded the contracts to operate over 70 Nexus Miscellaneous Works boards from September. The PVR won't increase by 70 as a number of these contracts can be 'tagged' onto services in the main commercial network, and some of these contracts are already operated by Go North East.

So what's here out of the 69xx fleet will stay, and there'll need to be a few more "new" additions to help cover everything...
This seems a lot of work to take on.
Will special schools rotas be formed and will drivers be employed for schools only or can this work be intergrated with existing work?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Tyne_Traveller - 15 Jul 2018

(14 Jul 2018, 6:19 pm)Malarkey Thought I would share this with everyone.

Coach & Bus Week Magazine have in the last week sat down with Commercial Director Stephen King to discuss how he made a name for himself in marketing, in the 4 page article photograph's from Myself and Daniel Graham feature, attached below is the article.

All very well and good, but try finding a timetable leaflet. You wouldn't go in to a top restaurant or even a zero rated greasy spoon without seeing a menu. 

Not everyone has access to a PC nor are they willing to pick up a phone (if you can find the number) and ask. 

Perhaps marketing should look at this.

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Jimmi - 15 Jul 2018

Going back to the discussion of the announcements saying the service it is operating, I'm on a 21 atm and have been hearing the "this is the Angel 21 service..." announcements upon departure from each stop and I don't see the problem with it, seems like just announcing another stop for me, although it seems to delay the next stop being announced, we stopped at the stop before Pity Me, Front Street and the announcement for the stop only just about came up in time for that bus stop. When I stopped paying my full attention to them, it just became background noise.

Another observation on this 21 journey is this contactless notice on the wheelchair ramp (excuse the duff quality, my phone takes a week to respond to the fact that I want to take a photo):[Image: 215a2af5a4167560df59d007ab54673f.jpg]

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Michael - 15 Jul 2018

(12 Jul 2018, 6:08 am)Dan 6905 was taken out of service yesterday afternoon at around 3:30pm as it had an issue with the indicators, this has now been repaired so will be out and about again tomorrow.
6931 was out in service all day yesterday until around 8pm - P&R 4 and 5.
6940 wasn't put through MOT test in time at EYMS to make the journey north, which is why 790 (9093) has transferred north on loan this week.

All of these buses will be taken out of service after Tall Ships to allow work to be completed to them to bring them up to standard for September when they start new duties on their scholars services: fitment of LED destination displays, fitment of Go North East's standard CCTV/low bridge warning devices, any other mechanical work that needs to be undertaken, and potentially some going through repaint, to name a few things on the list.

Thought it would of been after the Sunderland Airshow?, which starts on 27th July, they seem confident all of the work will be done by then. 

The next Major closure is the Metro which Go North East are running 2 out of the 5 Metro replacement services for that half of day.

I thought work would of been done after these days so work/repaints can be continued on the current fleet.

-----

When are we expecting to see rest of the Solo's and Omnidekka's arrive?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Andreos1 - 15 Jul 2018

(14 Jul 2018, 6:19 pm)Malarkey Thought I would share this with everyone.

An interesting article.
Some fame for you too!

(15 Jul 2018, 8:24 am)Tyne_Traveller All very well and good, but try finding a timetable leaflet. You wouldn't go in to a top restaurant or even a zero rated greasy spoon without seeing a menu. 

Not everyone has access to a PC nor are they willing to pick up a phone (if you can find the number) and ask. 

Perhaps marketing should look at this.

I think the new MD said something about having a look at the issue.

One of my big gripes about this new digital age, where everything is online or an app - is that everyone can get online or use an app.
The Rail Delivery Group are proposing discounts for those who use e-ticketing of sorts. 
What about those who can't get e-ticketing? Why should they be penalised?

(15 Jul 2018, 1:42 pm)Andreos1 An interesting article.
Some fame for you too!

I think the new MD said something about having a look at the issue.

One of my big gripes about this new digital age, where everything is online or an app - is that everyone can get online or use an app.
The Rail Delivery Group are proposing discounts for those who use e-ticketing of sorts. 
What about those who can't get e-ticketing? Why should they be penalised?

When does he take over again?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Andreos1 - 15 Jul 2018

(15 Jul 2018, 1:53 pm)Michael When does he take over again?

Pretty sure he leaves Reading at the end of the month. 
Not sure of his start date at GNE. Aug/Sept?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - S813 FVK - 15 Jul 2018

Not a single B9TL/Omnidekka out on the usual 6/47 and 45/47/X71 cycles today - Omnicities are all out instead.

Is this going to be a permanent feature, or is it just a one off for whatever reason (I'm not aware of any extra work which needs double deckers, not that I've looked very hard)?

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Dan - 15 Jul 2018

Hopefully a one-off. There's been a few incidents with double-deck vehicles on the Red Kite this week, so the decision was made to take the 'deckers off the 45/46/47 this weekend pending review next week.

The branded B9s were on other services yesterday - one on the 16 - which also helped to lift the crowds with the Miners Gala in Durham.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

(15 Jul 2018, 5:24 pm)Dan Hopefully a one-off. There's been a few incidents with double-deck vehicles on the Red Kite this week, so the decision was made to take the 'deckers off the 45/46/47 this weekend pending review next week.

The branded B9s were on other services yesterday - one on the 16 - which also helped to lift the crowds with the Miners Gala in Durham.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What kind of incidents?, must be serious for them to have a meeting next week.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - S813 FVK - 15 Jul 2018

(15 Jul 2018, 5:24 pm)Dan The branded B9s were on other services yesterday - one on the 16 - which also helped to lift the crowds with the Miners Gala in Durham.

All four appeared to be on 16/16A yesterday, with Durham diamonds covering on Red Kites.

I'd thought they'd done it specifically because of the Miners Gala, but it appears that them being allocated on that day was more of a coincidence.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018 - Malarkey - 15 Jul 2018

(15 Jul 2018, 1:42 pm)Andreos1 An interesting article.
Some fame for you too!

Was quite unexpected and has given me a bit boost as I have been feeling quite down and not myself recently.