North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=2149)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - S830OFT - 24 Aug 2018

Passengers on the Crusader services don't appear to be liking the new announcements. "This is the Crusader 27 service to South Shields" was driving passengers crazy, and with the bus stopping at pretty much every stop it must be extremely annoying, especially for the driver who has to listen to it for the entire journey and back. 

A better idea for informing passengers would be to have the announcements go off at key destinations, for example Heworth Interchange.

Hopefully Go North East change it as it was driving passengers mad.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Dan - 24 Aug 2018

(24 Aug 2018, 6:23 pm)S830OFT Passengers on the Crusader services don't appear to be liking the new announcements. "This is the Crusader 27 service to South Shields" was driving passengers crazy, and with the bus stopping at pretty much every stop it must be extremely annoying, especially for the driver who has to listen to it for the entire journey and back. 

A better idea for informing passengers would be to have the announcements go off at key destinations, for example Heworth Interchange.

The inclusive transport strategy forms part of the Government's proposals to make public transport more accessible for disabled people.

Should they go ahead, these proposals will mandate the fitting of audio-visual Next Stop Announcement systems to almost all buses operating public services.

These proposals also have specific requirements for the audio - one requirement is for the service number and terminus to be announced at every stop where the doors have been opened.

So whilst this is not currently required by law, I'd suggest it's not too far away, and isn't something that is likely to disappear any time soon...

I've driven a lot of buses with Next Stop Announcements, even more so over the last few months since the announcements were changed to announce the service on doors close, and in my view from a drivers perspective you barely hear the announcements. It just blends into the background noise, along with the accompanying rattles, squeaks, talking passengers, etc.

From a passenger perspective, it's much of the same story in my opinion. If you concentrate on something else (your phone, a book, the views outside, the person you're travelling with), have music coming through your earphones, etc, then in my view you tend to blank out the announcements.

If it was "driving passengers mad", I'd expect Customer Services to be receiving a large volume of complaints about it. I wonder if they are?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Citaro5326 - 24 Aug 2018

The 35 has next stops , " this is the see it , do it , Sunderland service 35 to Low Moorsley" on 5330 led

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - ne14ne1 - 24 Aug 2018

(23 Aug 2018, 9:27 pm)Jimmi Agreed. Lost count of the times they've tried to beat the buses round where The Gate is, in some cases they have mounted the kerb and shouted angry abuse at the bus driver for about 5 minutes when the bus had priority and was already making its way round.

Since widening the road outside The Gate as part of the bus loop works, taxis are no longer permitted along that stretch, so this shouldn't happen anymore.
And hopefully if Blackett St is permanently pedestrianised then the pavement parking/driving taxis will be kept away from pedestrians around Monument too.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Jamie M - 24 Aug 2018

(24 Aug 2018, 8:35 pm)ne14ne1 Since widening the road outside The Gate as part of the bus loop works, taxis are no longer permitted along that stretch, so this shouldn't happen anymore.
And hopefully if Blackett St is permanently pedestrianised then the pavement parking/driving taxis will be kept away from pedestrians around Monument too.
Taxi drivers are never penalised, it shouldn't happen but it always will because they do not care, nor do the police, nor do the council.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - ne14ne1 - 24 Aug 2018

(24 Aug 2018, 6:37 pm)Dan The inclusive transport strategy forms part of the Government's proposals to make public transport more accessible for disabled people.

Should they go ahead, these proposals will mandate the fitting of audio-visual Next Stop Announcement systems to almost all buses operating public services.

These proposals also have specific requirements for the audio - one requirement is for the service number and terminus to be announced at every stop where the doors have been opened.

So whilst this is not currently required by law, I'd suggest it's not too far away, and isn't something that is likely to disappear any time soon...

I've driven a lot of buses with Next Stop Announcements, even more so over the last few months since the announcements were changed to announce the service on doors close, and in my view from a drivers perspective you barely hear the announcements. It just blends into the background noise, along with the accompanying rattles, squeaks, talking passengers, etc.

From a passenger perspective, it's much of the same story in my opinion. If you concentrate on something else (your phone, a book, the views outside, the person you're travelling with), have music coming through your earphones, etc, then in my view you tend to blank out the announcements.

If it was "driving passengers mad", I'd expect Customer Services to be receiving a large volume of complaints about it. I wonder if they are?

I agree. I'm a daily GNE user between Gateshead and Newcastle, mostly using either the Crusaders, Angel, or Citylinks and it doesn't drive me crazy at all - and I've never noticed any other customers commenting on it either. 
As you say it often blends into background noise if you aren't purposely listening out for them. 

Although when they started announcing after each stop I did suggest shortening them to simply '21, to, Eldon Square', like London's iBus, however I got used to it within a week. Maybe shortening them is something to consider though.

Apart from a couple of vehicles that seem to have missed the update to silence them while the doors open, preventing them from announcing the number/destination twice, I don't really see a problem.

As a Guide Dog volunteer aware of such issues, and as Dan's pointed out, its very important to announce the number and destination upon leaving each stop. This reassures blind & partially sighted people (along with tourists & unfamiliar travellers) immediately that they have boarded the right service, in the right direction.

(24 Aug 2018, 8:46 pm)Jamie M Taxi drivers are never penalised, it shouldn't happen but it always will because they do not care, nor do the police, nor do the council.

Granted I don't believe a bus lane enforcement camera is in place outside The Gate (as it won't warrant one), to be honest I've only seen the odd stray taxi on that stretch since the changes. Taxis do get penalised on the bus-only Brunton bridge that the Q3 uses however, as theres a camera there and taxis aren't permitted. 
You're right that Northumbria Police never seem to pull people over for obvious offences - whether they're taxis or otherwise.  Dodgy

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Andreos1 - 24 Aug 2018

(24 Aug 2018, 6:37 pm)Dan The inclusive transport strategy forms part of the Government's proposals to make public transport more accessible for disabled people.

Whilst proposals may make it to becoming legislation, unless the government stipulate a prescribed method of announcements, passengers are at the whim of the operator. 
No consistency between them when using 2/3 routes or vehicle types. Imagine a journey with the potential to use 2/3 operators?

PSVAR has a standard. Surely NSA's should apply a standard? 
Not just with the display; but tone, structure and frequency of the announcements. 

After all, a proportion of those unhappy or appreciating the NSA's, may not be able to type that strongly worded email or have the inclination or willingness to overcome personal barriers to ring up to compliment or complain.
CS data may show one thing... Huh

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - pbjd - 25 Aug 2018

(24 Aug 2018, 6:23 pm)S830OFT Passengers on the Crusader services don't appear to be liking the new announcements. "This is the Crusader 27 service to South Shields" was driving passengers crazy, and with the bus stopping at pretty much every stop it must be extremely annoying, especially for the driver who has to listen to it for the entire journey and back. 

I believe you live in North Sunderland so I doubt you use the 26//27 often enough to know whether they're annoying or not - I use them most days, and I've heard no complaints other than from when they were first introduced, but that was down to the fact that they were new, and passengers weren't used to them.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Michael - 25 Aug 2018

Any chance of an update of all the fleet lists?, i have submitted news but nothing has come from it.... pointless feature if moderators aren't allowing it to be post on the news.............

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - S813 FVK - 25 Aug 2018

(25 Aug 2018, 11:21 am)Michael Any chance of an update of all the fleet lists?, i have submitted news but nothing has come from it.... pointless feature if moderators aren't allowing it to be post on the news.............

I’m sure it won’t be quite as simple as just accepting it.

I imagine they will want to retype/edit each submission if necessary so its consistent with the articles already published. This process will most likely get pushed right to the bottom of the list compared to normal everyday life.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Dans_bus_photos - 25 Aug 2018

(25 Aug 2018, 11:21 am)Michael Any chance of an update of all the fleet lists?, i have submitted news but nothing has come from it.... pointless feature if moderators aren't allowing it to be post on the news.............

Would it not just be easier to get rid of the news feed page if their isn't sufficient time to keep it up to date? Is there only Dan who keeps it unto date? I imagine its quite a chore trying to keep it unto date on your own with all the movements that take place, and working all day and trying have a life too.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Jamie M - 25 Aug 2018

(25 Aug 2018, 7:13 pm)Dans_bus_photos Would it not just be easier to get rid of the news feed page if their isn't sufficient time to keep it up to date? Is there only Dan who keeps it unto date? I imagine its quite a chore trying to keep it unto date on your own with all the movements that take place, and working all day and trying have a life too.
Go northern staff? Having free time? Huh.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Michael - 25 Aug 2018

(25 Aug 2018, 7:13 pm)Dans_bus_photos Would it not just be easier to get rid of the news feed page if their isn't sufficient time to keep it up to date? Is there only Dan who keeps it unto date? I imagine its quite a chore trying to keep it unto date on your own with all the movements that take place, and working all day and trying have a life too.

Aye and just have the fleet lists, could work better.

I know he has a life but i wasn't saying he didn't, i more mentioned the submit page is pointless if mods aren't accepting posts.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Adrian - 25 Aug 2018

(25 Aug 2018, 7:32 pm)Michael Aye and just have the fleet lists, could work better.

I know he has a life but i wasn't saying he didn't, i more mentioned the submit page is pointless if mods aren't accepting posts.

Mods don't have permission to review news items. There is no link between forum roles and the rest of the site. The way it is setup at the moment, it is down to Dan to review submissions or to update news and the fleet list. Same applies for the Bygone Era. 

Earning a living is always going to take priority over something that is voluntary. Have some patience and I am sure it'll be done when the chance arises.

(25 Aug 2018, 8:32 pm)Adrian Mods don't have permission to review news items. There is no link between forum roles and the rest of the site. The way it is setup at the moment, it is down to Dan to review submissions or to update news and the fleet list. Same applies for the Bygone Era. 

Earning a living is always going to take priority over something that is voluntary. Have some patience and I am sure it'll be done when the chance arises.

Well i didn't know that

You can delete the posts now, it could be classed as spam now.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - streetdeckfan - 25 Aug 2018

As someone who uses buses with NSA many times a day, I find that I don't notice it too much anymore. At first it was irritating but now it just blurs into the background. The only time I really notice it too much is when I'm on the X21 when its busy and there are people getting on and off at literally every stop. Hearing "This is the Castles Express X21 service to Bishop Auckland" every couple of minutes for 1 and a half hours makes it really hard to ignore!
The only thing about the NSA that still irritates me is the "where this bus terminates" being delayed for around 5 seconds after the stop name. But thankfully I don't hear that too much because the drivers of the 49 have usually changed to the Winlaton service before we get anywhere near Gateshead Interchange

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Dan - 26 Aug 2018

It would be a lot easier - but I still don't think this would be the right thing to do.

The user submissions do help out greatly, as when I do get back into the swing of things, it means I've got a lot there done for me already. I do, as Robert says, re-type it so it's in a consistent style, but still takes a lot less time than doing it from scratch. So my advice to everyone would be to continue doing that on my behalf, and they will (at some point!) be approved.

The news page also feeds the vehicle history pages, and it'd be a great shame to lose these as it's what sets this site apart from the rest. There's umpteen amount of fleet lists available on the net for Go North East, but ours is the only one which has a complete history for the vehicles as well (appreciating it's not all visible from a user's perspective at the moment - more jobs for a rainy day is making all of the old content visible again!)

(25 Aug 2018, 8:32 pm)Adrian Mods don't have permission to review news items. There is no link between forum roles and the rest of the site. The way it is setup at the moment, it is down to Dan to review submissions or to update news and the fleet list. Same applies for the Bygone Era. 

Yes, the last few months have been particularly busy at work, but this should hopefully die down next month. I've barely had time to read/reply to posts on the forum recently never mind doing anything with the fleet lists.

I'm having a rare weekend off next week - busy all day on Saturday but I should hopefully have time to do some work on NEB on the Sunday, providing the hangover isn't too bad!  Angel

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - Dan - 26 Aug 2018

(25 Aug 2018, 9:28 pm)streetdeckfan The only thing about the NSA that still irritates me is the "where this bus terminates" being delayed for around 5 seconds after the stop name. But thankfully I don't hear that too much because the drivers of the 49 have usually changed to the Winlaton service before we get anywhere near Gateshead Interchange

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Yes, this one I admit is quite irritating. Nothing that can be done (yet) on the programming side to decrease the amount of time between the two audio clips, but something we're pushing for!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - GNE6312 - 26 Aug 2018

Recently there has been on the announcements announcing the service the 309/310 dont announce that so all you here is 'next stop is insert stop here'. If anyone knows if this is subject to change. Also when will the 309/310 be getting their terminus point only display and if they do will they display Haymarket or Newcastle for Newcastle runs.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018 - OrangeArrow49 - 27 Aug 2018

Just been on a 32A which crashed at Cowgate Morrisons. The bus sustained left rear bodywork damage.