North East Buses
Trains - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Trains (/showthread.php?tid=322)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Trains - MurdnunoC - 31 May 2014

Today was the third day of using my 4-in-8 North East Rail Rover.

1) 10:05 Trans-Pennine service from Newcastle to Leeds
2) 13:44 Trans-Pennine service from Leeds to Huddersfield
3) 15:04 Trans-Pennine service from Huddersfield to Leeds (This train was running approx 35 mins late although I turned up at the station as the train was pulling in)
4) 15:40 Northern Rail service between Leeds and Bradford Forster Square
5) 16:34 Northern Rail service between Bradford Interchange and Leeds
6) 17:49 Trans-Pennine service between Leeds and Middlesbrough
7) 19:42 Northern Rail service between Middlesbrough and Newcastle

Lots of passengers travelling between Newcastle and York/York and Middlesbrough. It looked people were dressed for a day at the races. Was there something of significance on today?

RE: Trains - Adrian - 31 May 2014

(31 May 2014, 10:00 pm)AdamY Today was the third day of using my 4-in-8 North East Rail Rover.

1) 10:05 Trans-Pennine service from Newcastle to Leeds
2) 13:44 Trans-Pennine service from Leeds to Huddersfield
3) 15:04 Trans-Pennine service from Huddersfield to Leeds (This train was running approx 35 mins late although I turned up at the station as the train was pulling in)
4) 15:40 Northern Rail service between Leeds and Bradford Forster Square
5) 16:34 Northern Rail service between Bradford Interchange and Leeds
6) 17:49 Trans-Pennine service between Leeds and Middlesbrough
7) 19:42 Northern Rail service between Middlesbrough and Newcastle

Lots of passengers travelling between Newcastle and York/York and Middlesbrough. It looked people were dressed for a day at the races. Was there something of significance on today?

May Spring meeting at York racecourse.

RE: Trains - MurdnunoC - 01 Jun 2014

(31 May 2014, 10:38 pm)aureolin May Spring meeting at York racecourse.

Thought as much. Both trains were at full capacity with people consuming champagne and wine on the way down. An unscheduled stop was added at Thirsk in both directions. On the way down, I was hoping everyone that was getting off there.

RE: Trains - tyresmoke - 01 Jun 2014

(01 Jun 2014, 9:23 am)AdamY Thought as much. Both trains were at full capacity with people consuming champagne and wine on the way down. An unscheduled stop was added at Thirsk in both directions. On the way down, I was hoping everyone that was getting off there.

The Middlesbrough ones always stop at Thirsk, would be an additional stop in a Newcastle train though.

(01 Jun 2014, 9:42 am)tyresmoke The Middlesbrough ones always stop at Thirsk, would be an additional stop in a Newcastle train though.

I probably misread the destination board at Leeds on the way back. Does it usually stop at Garforth? I don't recall that stop being listed either.

RE: Trains - tyresmoke - 01 Jun 2014

(01 Jun 2014, 9:55 am)AdamY I probably misread the destination board at Leeds on the way back. Does it usually stop at Garforth? I don't recall that stop being listed either.

Yeah they do, there used to be a peak time one that stopped at Cross Gates instead of Garforth but since the timetable change the other week I'm not sure if there is now.

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 01 Jun 2014

Re the earlier comments on infrastructure in Yorkshire - as if to emphasise the points: http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11239670.Work_to_start_on_new_rail_station_for_Bradford_after___10m_grant/

Fourth and final day of my 4-in-8 Day Rover.

1) 10:12 East Coast Service from Newcastle to Berwick
2) 11:12 East Coast Service from Berwick to Darlington
3) 12:58 East Coast Service from Darlington to York
4) 14:56 East Coast Service from York to Darlington
5) 15:35 Northern Rail service from Darlington to Saltburn
6) 16:36 Northern Rail service from Saltburn to Bishop Auckland
7) 18:07 Northern Rail service from Bishop Auckland to Darlington
8) 18:42 Trans-Pennine service from Darlington and Newcastle

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 01 Jun 2014

(01 Jun 2014, 7:53 pm)AdamY Fourth and final day of my 4-in-8 Day Rover.

1) 10:12 East Coast Service from Newcastle to Berwick
2) 11:12 East Coast Service from Berwick to Darlington
3) 12:58 East Coast Service from Darlington to York
4) 14:56 East Coast Service from York to Darlington
5) 15:35 Northern Rail service from Darlington to Saltburn
6) 15:36 Northern Rail service from Saltburn to Bishop Auckland

7) 18:07 Northern Rail service from Bishop Auckland to Darlington
8) 18:42 Trans-Pennine service from Darlington and Newcastle

HS2 or have Delorian started making trains too? Wink

(01 Jun 2014, 7:55 pm)Andreos Constantopolous HS2 or have Delorian started making trains too? Wink

Obviously, the latter was meant to read 16:36. Four days worth of sitting on trains gets to you eventually - as does time travel on the 45 of course!

RE: Trains - Adam - 02 Jun 2014

(31 May 2014, 10:38 pm)aureolin May Spring meeting at York racecourse.

I was there. As a late present for my grandparents' Golden Wedding, we took them to the posh end of the races, making a whole weekend of it.

Went down on Friday on the 14:06 TransPennine Express service. Returned yesterday on the 12:03 TransPennine service. Must say, I am impressed with those trains. Seats are comfortable and they are rather quiet.

Stayed in the Premier Inn on Blossom Street South. Was very impressed with that. Cleanliness was fantastic, beds were comfortable and the restaurant was alright. WiFi worked tremendously well.

At the races, I had two winners. In total, I only managed to lose £4.50 so it wasn't that bad.

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 02 Jun 2014

(02 Jun 2014, 8:59 pm)Adam I was there. As a late present for my grandparents' Golden Wedding, we took them to the posh end of the races, making a whole weekend of it.

Went down on Friday on the 14:06 TransPennine Express service. Returned yesterday on the 12:03 TransPennine service. Must say, I am impressed with those trains. Seats are comfortable and they are rather quiet.

Stayed in the Premier Inn on Blossom Street South. Was very impressed with that. Cleanliness was fantastic, beds were comfortable and the restaurant was alright. WiFi worked tremendously well.

At the races, I had two winners. In total, I only managed to lose £4.50 so it wasn't that bad.

Totally irrelevant, but just up from the Premier Inn, in the direction of the racecourse is a lovely Italian Restaurant called Spuntino's.
Highly recommended, despite mixed online reviews.

RE: Trains - Adam - 03 Jun 2014

(02 Jun 2014, 9:18 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Totally irrelevant, but just up from the Premier Inn, in the direction of the racecourse is a lovely Italian Restaurant called Spuntino's.
Highly recommended, despite mixed online reviews.

ah yes I remember passing it. It seems an alright place.

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 04 Jun 2014

Has anyone seen the incident at Strood station today?
The onboard train camera caught a guy rescuing a woman from the track as the train was pulling in.

No idea if it is on youtube, but is on the 5live fb page.

(03 Jun 2014, 8:33 pm)Adam ah yes I remember passing it. It seems an alright place.

Small and compact.
Full of Italians - which is always a good sign...

(04 Jun 2014, 11:13 am)Scott Double deck trains in Italy. The best way to get the nice views! Been on bendybuses there as well.

They have them in Holland too.
Not much to see, apart from Windmills, fields, canals and Tulips Smile

RE: Trains - MurdnunoC - 04 Jun 2014

Plans for double-decker trains for Britain were on the cards as early as the late 1930s. Stock was trialled in the late 40s/early 50s but the trains never made it to British lines - largely because tunnels and bridges constructed in the Victorian-era did not have the necessary height clearance. As both the BTC and Railway Executive were essentially running the railways on a shoe-string budget, the money was simply not there to make wide-scale improvements to accommodate this new type of train. When, in 1955, the railways finally received money from the government to invest in new infrastructure and new trains, it was largely squandered on building new steam-locomotives and large marshalling yards which saw little use.

Anyway...I'm drifting off the point now.

Here's a link to a short Pathe News Reel showing double-decker trains in Britain.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/double-decker-train

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 21 Jun 2014

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27929846?ocid=socialflow_twitter

A unique way to travel across Mexico.

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 11 Jul 2014

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/11/pensioner-couple-jump-in-front-of-train-in-suicide-pact-after-daughter-moves-back-in-4794464/

Very sad.

RE: Trains - Adrian - 11 Jul 2014

(11 Jul 2014, 12:19 pm)Andreos Constantopolous http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/11/pensioner-couple-jump-in-front-of-train-in-suicide-pact-after-daughter-moves-back-in-4794464/

Very sad.

Indeed, and for the train driver too. Often forgotten about as a victim of these tragedies.

RE: Trains - R852 PRG - 11 Jul 2014

(11 Jul 2014, 12:19 pm)Andreos Constantopolous http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/11/pensioner-couple-jump-in-front-of-train-in-suicide-pact-after-daughter-moves-back-in-4794464/

Very sad.

That's terrible Sad......

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 17 Jul 2014

Haven't checked out the reasons why, but the High Level seems busy with trains this morning.

The last 45 mins has seen:
CrossCountry, East Coast, Northern and DRS/Network Rail (pulled by what sounded like Deltics) sets heading north and south.