North East Buses
Trains - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Trains (/showthread.php?tid=322)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 28 Jul 2014

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-28524876

Progress on Haymarket tunnels.

RE: Trains - Adrian - 15 Aug 2014

Was pretty impressed to see this beast come through York station yesterday.

[Image: 14732869697_28fd81fcd7_b.jpg]Class 47 - 47580 - "County of Essex" by aureolindn, on Flickr

Anyone know the crack of why it's not being ran by steam though?

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 15 Aug 2014

(15 Aug 2014, 1:30 pm)aureolin Was pretty impressed to see this beast come through York station yesterday.

[Image: 14732869697_28fd81fcd7_b.jpg]Class 47 - 47580 - "County of Essex" by aureolindn, on Flickr

Anyone know the crack of why it's not being ran by steam though?

Presuming it is the Scarborough Spa Express, it is supposed to be steam according to this link: http://railwayherald.com/railtours#

RE: Trains - Adrian - 15 Aug 2014

(15 Aug 2014, 2:19 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Presuming it is the Scarborough Spa Express, it is supposed to be steam according to this link: http://railwayherald.com/railtours#

Yeah that's the one. I had noticed it in the sidings at York on Tuesday morning when I passed through, so had a feeling it would run back on Thursday. It's always a nice sight seeing a proper train!

RE: Trains - Adrian - 19 Aug 2014

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/more-misery-rail-users-north-7637492

Another above inflation fare rise for rail users.

RE: Trains - Adam - 22 Aug 2014

Me and my friends have just had a race from Gateshead down to Scarborough. They were happy enough on the bus whereas I've already vowed to never get back on the X93 again,so I took the train. It went as follows:

11:08 Metro Gateshead - Central Station (forgot to ID it)
11:35 CrossCountry Newcastle - York (220004)
13:40 First TPE York - Scarborough (185136)

and I've won... by miles. Pulled into Scarborough about 30 mins ago. Rang my friends and they were only at Whitby.

RE: Trains - Jimmi - 25 Aug 2014

Government U turn on pledge to scrap hated cattle truck Pacer trains.

http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11430470.Government_U_turn_on_pledge_to_scrap_hated___39_cattle_truck__39__Pacer_trains/

Trains - R852 PRG - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 2:11 pm)Jimmi Government U turn on pledge to scrap hated cattle truck Pacer trains.

http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11430470.Government_U_turn_on_pledge_to_scrap_hated___39_cattle_truck__39__Pacer_trains/

I absolutely despise Pacers. To be honest, I'm more of a steam person myself. The only diesels that I feel are worthy, are Deltics! And they left the mainline in 1981! I think six have made it into preservation. Going back even further, if you swapped Pacers for A4 Pacific's, the world would be much better!

RE: Trains - Jimmi - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 2:13 pm)Marcus I absolutely despise Pacers. To be honest, I'm more of a steam person myself. The only diesels that I feel are worthy, are Deltics! And they left the mainline in 1981! I think six have made it into preservation. Going back even further, if you swapped Pacers for A4 Pacific's, the world would be much better!

They are flaming awful, they always smell like pee, I don't use the train because it only runs every 2 hours for most of the day and because the Pacers are awful and the last few times I used we'd end up stuck in Thornaby because of either signal failure or it broke down and sitting on a Pacer not moving for 45 minutes plus the journey time is not a fun way to spend your birthday.

RE: Trains - Adrian - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 2:13 pm)Marcus I absolutely despise Pacers. To be honest, I'm more of a steam person myself. The only diesels that I feel are worthy, are Deltics! And they left the mainline in 1981! I think six have made it into preservation. Going back even further, if you swapped Pacers for A4 Pacific's, the world would be much better!

Still love the Class 43 HSTs to be honest. Really smooth ride on them, and quite often book my return on the 1600 from London, knowing it'd be a HST heading to Aberdeen!

Trains - R852 PRG - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 4:05 pm)aureolin Still love the Class 43 HSTs to be honest. Really smooth ride on them, and quite often book my return on the 1600 from London, knowing it'd be a HST heading to Aberdeen!

Yeah, I'm just a much a railway enthusiast as I am a bus enthusiast, although I don't use forums and stuff for trains like I do with buses. It would be best to ask a die hard train guy on this one, but I was standing train-spotting at Chester one Saturday afternoon and two old guys with cameras when an East Coast Class 43 came into view and raced past, the two men didn't get their cameras out and stood back. Once they could hear each other again, they said they hated Class 43s because of Jimmy Savile and the 'this is the age of the train' ads back in the late 20th century. That put a smile on my face. Tongue

RE: Trains - AXG675 - 26 Aug 2014

I love Pacers. They are the train equivalent of Mercedes 0709 midibuses. We, on the Tees Valley, are blessed to have the best ride this side of Alton Towers!

Re: RE: Trains - Dan - 26 Aug 2014

(26 Aug 2014, 7:12 am)AXG675 I love Pacers. They are the train equivalent of Mercedes 0709 midibuses. We, on the Tees Valley, are blessed to have the best ride this side of Alton Towers!
Peasant! Tongue

In all seriousness, what's there to like about that screech as you enter/depart Newcastle Central Station?!

I'd compare them to a Dart, in the bus world!

Trains - R852 PRG - 26 Aug 2014

(26 Aug 2014, 7:21 am)Dan Peasant! Tongue

In all seriousness, what's there to like about that screech as you enter/depart Newcastle Central Station?!

I'd compare them to a Dart, in the bus world!

I would compare them to a conked out Pronto B7 (preferably 6041) which had been covered with petrol, crashed into by a Versa, set on fire as a result, and left burning for 3 days!!!

RE: Trains - S813 FVK - 26 Aug 2014

I do love 142s. Just because of how sensitive they are on the track. Picking up every bump. So fun bouncing up and down. Nothing you could ever get on a 156 or any other train. Just exclusive to the whole pacer family (never actually rode on 143s/144s but im guessing they are the same Tongue)

(26 Aug 2014, 10:27 am)Robert I do love 142s. Just because of how sensitive they are on the track. Picking up every bump. So fun bouncing up and down. Nothing you could ever get on a 156 or any other train. Just exclusive to the whole pacer family (never actually rode on 143s/144s but im guessing they are the same Tongue)

Personally, I have a favourite for steam and a favourite for diesels;

Steam:
Gresley A4 Pacific's (6 Preserved)
- Back when 60010 'Dominion of Canada' and 60008 'Dwight D Eisenhower' came back over in October 2012, in preparation for restoration and The Great Gathering, I had a brake van ride at Shildon behind 60009 'Union of South Africa'. I've also had a ride behind 60007 'Sir Nigel Gresley' on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Both were just amazing.

Diesel:
Class 55 'Deltics' (6 or 7 Preserved)
- Again, at Shildon when they had a Deltic Gala on about 2/3 years ago. Can't remember exactly which locomotive, could have been 55022 'Royal Scots Grey', but I definitely remember riding behind one on a brake van train. Also, the clagging they make, brilliant!!

RE: Trains - Tom - 26 Aug 2014

I know nothing about trains! Could be worth looking into them though, see if I can get a better knowledge of them.

(26 Aug 2014, 3:34 pm)Tom I know nothing about trains! Could be worth looking into them though, see if I can get a better knowledge of them.

I'll PM you - gimme an hour! Tongue

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 28 Aug 2014

(26 Aug 2014, 10:27 am)Robert I do love 142s. Just because of how sensitive they are on the track. Picking up every bump. So fun bouncing up and down. Nothing you could ever get on a 156 or any other train. Just exclusive to the whole pacer family (never actually rode on 143s/144s but im guessing they are the same Tongue)

Haven't done a 143 since they were based out of Heaton in the late 80's.
Never ridden a 144 at all.

There is something about the 142. No idea what it is - the soaking you get when it rains, the rough ride, the squeaks - I have no idea.
Prefer a 156 turning up, but never too disappointed to see a Pacer.

Used a 150 for the first time a few months back on the Reading - Basingstoke line.
Wasn't impressed at all, but felt it was wasted on such a short journey, where a 142 would be possibly better.
Compare a 142 doing the runs they do, compared to the 150's going back and forth all day on a half hour/5 station trip - restricted to 75mph due to the line speeds.

Trains - R852 PRG - 28 Aug 2014

(28 Aug 2014, 7:29 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Haven't done a 143 since they were based out of Heaton in the late 80's.
Never ridden a 144 at all.

There is something about the 142. No idea what it is - the soaking you get when it rains, the rough ride, the squeaks - I have no idea.
Prefer a 156 turning up, but never too disappointed to see a Pacer.

Used a 150 for the first time a few months back on the Reading - Basingstoke line.
Wasn't impressed at all, but felt it was wasted on such a short journey, where a 142 would be possibly better.
Compare a 142 doing the runs they do, compared to the 150's going back and forth all day on a half hour/5 station trip - restricted to 75mph due to the line speeds.

I've heard Northern Rail's primary source of criticism comes from the Pacers! Tongue

The seats are disgraceful, granted, but I've got to admit the 141s really do look like Nationals on Rails!