North East Buses
Trains - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Trains (/showthread.php?tid=322)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 28 Aug 2014

(28 Aug 2014, 8:17 pm)Marcus I've heard Northern Rail's primary source of criticism comes from the Pacers! Tongue

The seats are disgraceful, granted, but I've got to admit the 141s really do look like Nationals on Rails!

I love the fact the Iranians bought Pacers and scrapped them before we did!

RE: Trains - 56everyday - 28 Aug 2014

(28 Aug 2014, 8:47 pm)Andreos Constantopolous I love the fact the Iranians bought Pacers and scrapped them before we did!

I think the overhaul that companies such as Northern have done to the Pacers is quite good, however I am desperate for a train which won't squeak like mad over Gateshead when arriving or departing Central Station from or to Sunderland etc

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 29 Aug 2014

(28 Aug 2014, 9:47 pm)56everyday I think the overhaul that companies such as Northern have done to the Pacers is quite good, however I am desperate for a train which won't squeak like mad over Gateshead when arriving or departing Central Station from or to Sunderland etc

For want of a better phrase, you can't really polish a turd.
The National was a great bus - it was designed for the roads, not the rails and as a result, there is only so much that can be done to improve the 142.
No idea if the other classes in the series let as much water in as the 142.

Trains - R852 PRG - 29 Aug 2014

(29 Aug 2014, 8:10 am)Andreos Constantopolous For want of a better phrase, you can't really polish a turd.
The National was a great bus - it was designed for the roads, not the rails and as a result, there is only so much that can be done to improve the 142.
No idea if the other classes in the series let as much water in as the 142.

Like I say, I've heard that Northern Rail's main complaints come from the fact that the Pacers are abominations and should be stripped off the rails and scrapped like the steam engines, then have a few Deltics and A4s replace them........Tongue

RE: Trains - S813 FVK - 29 Aug 2014

These Pacers cant be withdrawn until the Newcastle-Carlisle line is electrified with them operating the services that terminate at Hexham. Same goes for the 156s but they have a good few years left in them.

(29 Aug 2014, 9:10 pm)Robert These Pacers cant be withdrawn until the Newcastle-Carlisle line is electrified with them operating the services that terminate at Hexham. Same goes for the 156s but they have a good few years left in them.

Personally, I know this is irrelevant, but I've always enjoyed riding the 185s by First TransPennine that run through Chester pretty frequently.

Also, those Class 43s East Coast operate are just brilliant, considering they just be coming up 30 or so now!

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 29 Aug 2014

(29 Aug 2014, 9:23 pm)Marcus Personally, I know this is irrelevant, but I've always enjoyed riding the 185s by First TransPennine that run through Chester pretty frequently.

Also, those Class 43s East Coast operate are just brilliant, considering they just be coming up 30 or so now!

Try adding another 9/10 years Wink.
The youngest entered service in 82/83. The originals in the mid 70's.

They are good though, considering their age.
I use Durham station and not many of them call there unfortunately.

RE: Trains - 56everyday - 29 Aug 2014

(29 Aug 2014, 9:23 pm)Marcus Personally, I know this is irrelevant, but I've always enjoyed riding the 185s by First TransPennine that run through Chester pretty frequently.

The Class 43s are much better than the 221/91 s

(29 Aug 2014, 9:35 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Try adding another 9/10 years Wink.

Not really into the modern day stuff, considering all of the best things came from the steam and early diesel era, in my opinion.

Also, speaking of steam engines, on Sat. 27th September, 'The Tynesider' is supposed to be running through Durham, Chester and Newcastle before turning around at Morpeth, I believe. I've heard it's to be hauled by Stanier Jubilee Class 5690 'Leander', which surprises me. You would expect a train that runs deep through ex-LNER territory to be hauled by an A4 or 'Tornado' etc. - I doubt a Jubilee even passed through this section of the ECML, even during BR days.

RE: Trains - R852 PRG - 30 Aug 2014

(29 Aug 2014, 9:35 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Try adding another 9/10 years Wink.

I think East Coast mainly operate their 43s on the London-Hull and the London-Leeds services, and I also think they may have been used on those extended Scotland services. Smile

RE: Trains - Andreos1 - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 10:53 am)Marcus I think East Coast mainly operate their 43s on the London-Hull and the London-Leeds services, and I also think they may have been used on those extended Scotland services. Smile

Aye, the Aberdeen, Inverness services have them on.
If heading over the border early on, often get the Leeds - Aberdeen on a morning knowing it has to be a HST.

CrossStinky often have them on the 19.25ish out of Durham on the Glasgow run too.
Haven't worked out the specific runs, so tend to not take the risk, getting the earlier East Coast.

Trains - R852 PRG - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 2:42 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Aye, the Aberdeen, Inverness services have them on.
If heading over the border early on, often get the Leeds - Aberdeen on a morning knowing it has to be a HST.

CrossStinky often have them on the 19.25ish out of Durham on the Glasgow run too.
Haven't worked out the specific runs, so tend to not take the risk, getting the earlier East Coast.

I hate CrossCountry. I wish East Coast stopped at Chester - it's mainly just First TransPennine. There's nothing wrong with them, it just ruins the idea of variety. A First TransPennine every 2 hours (?) in each direction, a couple of peak journeys by Northern Rail and the odd stopping train by CrossCountry really does spoil it, especially when so many different operators go through the station.

RE: Trains - DanPicken - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 2:42 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Aye, the Aberdeen, Inverness services have them on.

Cross Country have a HST on the 09:42 out of Newcastle towards Plymouth.

(30 Aug 2014, 2:52 pm)Marcus I hate CrossCountry. I wish East Coast stopped at Chester - it's mainly just First TransPennine. There's nothing wrong with them, it just ruins the idea of variety. A First TransPennine every 2 hours (?) in each direction, a couple of peak journeys by Northern Rail and the odd stopping train by CrossCountry really does spoil it, especially when so many different operators go through the station.

There will be a number of factors, but one will be timings that mean not much stops there.
If a CrossStinky is running a few mins in front of an East Coast, it holds up the EC behind.

Cross Stinkys often get held up, so what could be a 10min timetabled lead at York, could (and often is) much less than that.
Coming south, the EC often runs ahead of the CrossStinky (with nowt usually behind it), so there is the possibility that way...

(30 Aug 2014, 3:06 pm)Andreos Constantopolous There will be a number of factors, but one will be timings that mean not much stops there.
If a CrossStinky is running a few mins in front of an East Coast, it holds up the EC behind.

Cross Stinkys often get held up, so what could be a 10min timetabled lead at York, could (and often is) much less than that.
Coming south, the EC often runs ahead of the CrossStinky (with nowt usually behind it), so there is the possibility that way...

Yeah I suppose East Coast do capitalise on limited stops and a fast service, and what can be more luxurious than a Class 43 HST!! :

RE: Trains - S813 FVK - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 2:52 pm)Marcus I hate CrossCountry. I wish East Coast stopped at Chester - it's mainly just First TransPennine. There's nothing wrong with them, it just ruins the idea of variety. A First TransPennine every 2 hours (?) in each direction, a couple of peak journeys by Northern Rail and the odd stopping train by CrossCountry really does spoil it, especially when so many different operators go through the station.

Get onto Network Rail and ask them to extend the platforms at Chester then Tongue

(30 Aug 2014, 3:40 pm)Robert Get onto Network Rail and ask them to extend the platforms at Chester then Tongue

Haha - I suppose there's enough room to be honest. The old goods shed is currently owned by a business (Wensley Roofing I believe), and because of the car park you can't extend North. I think it would have to be South. Smile

RE: Trains - tyresmoke - 30 Aug 2014

East Coast HST Diagrams here

And for completeness, here is Crosscountry ones

Courtesy of www.125group.org.uk

(30 Aug 2014, 3:40 pm)Robert Get onto Network Rail and ask them to extend the platforms at Chester then Tongue

There are a couple on the way to Dundee that are too short for the HST if I remember correctly. Possibly Inverkeithing - could be wrong though.

RE: Trains - citaro5284 - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 7:00 pm)Andreos Constantopolous There are a couple on the way to Dundee that are too short for the HST if I remember correctly. Possibly Inverkeithing - could be wrong though.

Yes Inverkeithing is one heading to Aberdeen