North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Dan - 04 Jan 2014

Do 'transfers' still exist? I saw someone get one on the 20 on Boxing Day, but a bloke has just asked for one on the 56 and was refused.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 04 Jan 2014

(04 Jan 2014, 3:13 pm)Dan Do 'transfers' still exist? I saw someone get one on the 20 on Boxing Day, but a bloke has just asked for one on the 56 and was refused.

Yeah they still exist.

RE: Pricing - citaro5284 - 04 Jan 2014

(04 Jan 2014, 3:13 pm)Dan Do 'transfers' still exist? I saw someone get one on the 20 on Boxing Day, but a bloke has just asked for one on the 56 and was refused.

Yes, they do. It is a Transfare ticket - link below under Adult Day Tickets

http://www.nexus.org.uk/bus/tickets

RE: Pricing - Dan - 04 Jan 2014

(04 Jan 2014, 5:02 pm)citaro5284 Yes, they do. It is a Transfare ticket - link below under Adult Day Tickets

http://www.nexus.org.uk/bus/tickets

Ah right - I was close with 'transfer' then! Tongue

Wonder if the woman on the 20 said 'transfare', but the dude today on the 56 said 'transfer' and that's why he was refused...

RE: Pricing - CatsFast101 - 05 Jan 2014

(04 Jan 2014, 6:43 pm)ADLEnviro I would expect a driver to know what a customer is requesting by a slight mistake in asking for a product like that.

I will give it a wild guess and suggest the customer asked for a transfare to a destination that it was not possible to use one.

Trouble is with transfare's is no body want's the foot the bill to produce the correct information that needs to be given to staff regarding the product.

On your 20 example they should be sold between East Rainton and Royal Courts on the way into Sunderland and going by the book between the Interchange and Royal Courts on the way to Durham, I can see most driver's refusing this request though even though it is valid.

On the 56 example they should be sold between the Wheatshef and Gateshead in both direction's.

What the idea of a transfare? What does it do and if it's a nexus/Tyne & wear ticket why can't it be used any further than Royal Courts on the 20 to Durham?

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 05 Jan 2014

(05 Jan 2014, 1:34 am)CatsFast101 What the idea of a transfare? What does it do and if it's a nexus/Tyne & wear ticket why can't it be used any further than Royal Courts on the 20 to Durham?

It enables you to transfer between buses, ferry and Metro within Tyne & Wear for a one direction journey.

If I can remember right, it can be used once on the connecting mode of transport - but you have a 90mins to transfer onto that second vehicle, from purchase - I haven't used one for a while, so stand corrected if the terms have changed.

Say you were in Sunderland at 17:00 and wanted to get to a mates house in Whitley Bay for a party - but weren't coming back until the next day.
Rather than by a Day Rover or some other day ticket, you could buy a transfare as long as you were on the Metro by 18:30.

So you get the 9 to North Shields and then jump on the Metro, using your transfare ticket.

The ticket can be used beyond Royal Courts - just not issued.
I imagine this is down to zone/pricing issues.

For kids (before TWPTE/Nexus brought out the day tickets) the transfare was only 5p more than a single ticket.
So a 5p single to Gateshead could be turned into a 10p transfare to the coast.

As we got older, the single fares gradually increased over the years by 5p increments, with the transfare doing the same.

RE: Pricing - CatsFast101 - 05 Jan 2014

(05 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm)ADLEnviro catsfast101 - andreos1 has explained that as I would have but I will add a bit more to the above quote.

You need to remember that a Transfare is for use between two modes of transport, bus to metro, metro to ferry, ferry to bus are all fine, bus to bus isn't valid.

So on the 20 heading out of Sunderland towards Durham.

At Interchange you can board with a transfare from the metro and its valid to alight at any stop before the County Boundary at East Rainton.
You can buy a transfare for change onto the metro at University.

At Royal Courts you can board with a transfare from the metro and its valid to alight at any stop before the County Boundary at East Rainton.
You can not buy a transfare as for the rest of the route it is not possible to transfer onto another mode of transport.

At all stops after Royal Courts to the County Boundry at East Rainton you can alight but can not board or buy a transfare due to the service not passing any other modes of transport.

You still need to take into account the zone system for the fare and remember its different in the other direction.

Transfare really is a mine field.

It sounds very complicated, but I've get what you mean about royal courts now. How much are these things? let's say, Ryhope-Newcastle using 60/61/39 then Metro.

(05 Jan 2014, 6:40 pm)CatsFast101 It sounds very complicated, but I've get what you mean about royal courts now. How much are these things? let's say, Ryhope-Newcastle using 60/61/39 then Metro.

That would be a 3zone ticket - the prices are on the link someone put on earlier.
For one way tickets from the very south of T&W heading North, they're fantastic value.

(05 Jan 2014, 6:31 pm)ADLEnviro Not sure of your age andreos1 but you have just jogged my memory of something there..............................do you remember 5 riders. When it went up to 10p you could buy 5 individual singles from a metro ticket machine for 35p, valid on all modes of transport in Tyne and Wear, was a nice buzz when you put it in the metro barrier and it didn't cancel it or you were mates with the bus driver and he didn't rip it in half. Ohhhh the fun I had as a teenager.

I can't remember those at all.
Can remember it being 5p, then going up to 10p in late 80's early 90's - but no recollection of those tickets.

With the buses being extended over the river into Newcastle, a single was always enough.

A transfare to the Metrocentre and back or to the Coast always seemed such good value that maybe we were blinkered as to other tickets.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 07 Jan 2014

Just read this on bus users uk www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/news/local/all-news/porksen-opposes-student-transport-charge-1-3257438#.Usvdu1nCFqY.twitter

RE: Pricing - busman101 - 07 Jan 2014

(07 Jan 2014, 11:19 am)andreos1 Just read this on bus users uk www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/news/local/all-news/porksen-opposes-student-transport-charge-1-3257438#.Usvdu1nCFqY.twitter

Not a surprise, but not good news for the industry either if it happens - the chances are that it'll drive students, especially in the South, to head to colleges in Newcastle or North Tyneside as it'll be easier and cheaper to get there. That then has an impact on Northumberland College, then supported services to the College which presumably the County won't pay for either and it then has an impact on the commercial network for journeys to the College too. It's a vicious circle, unless the College's compete to do something as they've done in Co Durham.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 12 Jan 2014

Anyone know is the ''East Durham'' daysaver is a new thing? Never saw it before!

''Unlimited travel on East Durham services 201, 202, 206, 208, 209, 238, 239, 259, 260, 265, 923, X35 and X7 (from S'land to Stn Town)

[Image: 2ynigw0.jpg]

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm)Tom Anyone know is the ''East Durham'' daysaver is a new thing? Never saw it before!

''Unlimited travel on East Durham services 201, 202, 206, 208, 209, 238, 239, 259, 260, 265, 923, X35 and X7 (from S'land to Stn Town)

Certainly not new, been around a while I think. Where's this image from?

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 6:30 pm)CatsFast101 Certainly not new, been around a while I think. Where's this image from?

It's on the 'East Durham' page.
https://www.simplygo.com/all-services/east-durham

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 7:06 pm)BJ10VUS It's on the 'East Durham' page.
https://www.simplygo.com/all-services/east-durham

Ah okay, I've seen it there now, looks a little out of place on the page- could be smaller.

On another note does anyone think it might be nice for all the route maps to be designed similar to the way they are the bus briefings?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm)Tom Anyone know is the ''East Durham'' daysaver is a new thing? Never saw it before!

Never seen it before, but it's cracking value for money. Certainly saves buying a 2 zone Buzzfare if you're happy to just use the East Durham buses instead.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 12 Jan 2014

It has an East Coast Trains look about it that image.

The ticket has been about a while.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 8:24 pm)andreos1 It has an East Coast Trains look about it that image.

The ticket has been about a while.

Excellent value, considering it can also be used on the X7 from Sunderland to Station Town.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 12 Jan 2014

Moved above discussion to this thread from the GNE thread.

Another similar example is the one on offer for the TEN - it can also be used on the Tynedalexpress. Very good deals - great to see some positive pricing comments for a change! Tongue

RE: Pricing - Tom - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 8:31 pm)Dan Moved above discussion to this thread from the GNE thread.

Another similar example is the one on offer for the TEN - it can also be used on the Tynedalexpress. Very good deals - great to see some positive pricing comments for a change! Tongue

Isn't it £21 for a week? Very attractive price, considering it's £5.50 for a return!