North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - busmanT - 03 May 2023

(03 May 2023, 6:15 am)nova347 So it doesnt include Stockton/Middlesbrough?
It doesn't include Stockton and Middlesbrough as they are in the Tees Valley Combined Authority area. 

Transport North East only covers the North East Combined Authority and the North of Tyne Combined Authority areas.t
https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/latest-news/new-1-bus-fare-for-young-people-and-cheaper-multi-operator-adult-tickets-on-the-way/

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 03 May 2023

(03 May 2023, 9:33 am)busmanT It doesn't include Stockton and Middlesbrough as they are in the Tees Valley Combined Authority area. 

Transport North East only covers the North East Combined Authority and the North of Tyne Combined Authority areas.t
So as usual arbitrary boundaries make bus travel more expensive than it should be

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

(03 May 2023, 9:36 am)streetdeckfan So as usual arbitrary boundaries make bus travel more expensive than it should be

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
The boundaries aren't arbitrary - they are political boundaries, with elected politicians (representing the voters) deciding what applies in their own political area. 

For example Tees Valley has Tees Flex, but there is nothing similar in the Transport North East area.

RE: Pricing - Storx - 03 May 2023

(03 May 2023, 10:02 am)busmanT The boundaries aren't arbitrary - they are political boundaries, with elected politicians (representing the voters) deciding what applies in their own political area. 

For example Tees Valley has Tees Flex, but there is nothing similar in the Transport North East area.

It's complete absurd though. The whole North East should be one transport area not two. There's not a sudden change travelling from Newton Aycliffe to Darlington it's all one community pretty much.

The political boundaries are a complete mess especially when it comes to places like Bishop Auckland and Newton Aycliffe which are massively connected to Darlington with 2 trains and at least 6 buses an hour.

Now those corridors will be ignored as they're both 'out of zone'. It's questionable how connected Darlington is with the rest of Teesside aswell, there's more buses and trains to Durham than there is to Middlesbrough for example.

RE: Pricing - deanmachine - 03 May 2023

(03 May 2023, 11:02 am)Storx It's complete absurd though. The whole North East should be one transport area not two. There's not a sudden change travelling from Newton Aycliffe to Darlington it's all one community pretty much.

The political boundaries are a complete mess especially when it comes to places like Bishop Auckland and Newton Aycliffe which are massively connected to Darlington with 2 trains and at least 6 buses an hour.

Now those corridors will be ignored as they're both 'out of zone'. It's questionable how connected Darlington is with the rest of Teesside aswell, there's more buses and trains to Durham than there is to Middlesbrough for example.

There's always going to be boundaries like this though. There'll always be someone missing out where you draw the line, the only way this could be resolved is by a national strategy so all buses have subsidised fares, like the £2 single, although I'm sure people on the Scottish borders will have similar troubles.

The team briefing for GNE mentions that the £1 fare for the X10 is only valid as far as Peterlee from Newcastle, good luck to their drivers trying to enforce that.

RE: Pricing - Storx - 03 May 2023

(03 May 2023, 11:08 am)deanmachine There's always going to be boundaries like this though. There'll always be someone missing out where you draw the line, the only way this could be resolved is by a national strategy so all buses have subsidised fares, like the £2 single, although I'm sure people on the Scottish borders will have similar troubles.

The team briefing for GNE mentions that the £1 fare for the X10 is only valid as far as Peterlee from Newcastle, good luck to their drivers trying to enforce that.

Aye agreed but I think for the North East all of it should be one. Once you merge them two together then there's not really many missing out. Only really Whitby, Richmond, Great Ayton and Stokesley. 

It might not physically there but there always feel like there's an economic boundary between North Yorkshire / Co. Durham and Teesside.

Economically we're all the same really never mind just for buses. But transport wise stuff like the Durham Coast Line is where the attention is needed but it won't because it's cross area etc. Similar to the Middlesbrough to Bishop Auckland line.

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 03 May 2023

(03 May 2023, 11:02 am)Storx It's complete absurd though. The whole North East should be one transport area not two. There's not a sudden change travelling from Newton Aycliffe to Darlington it's all one community pretty much.

It's stupid that I can could get a cheap fare all the way to Newcastle on the X21, but the much shorter journey to Darlington, because it's out of the zone, is going to cost considerably more.

What about those areas like Newton Aycliffe where some parts are in County Durham and the others in Darlington. When we had the COVID restrictions, half was locked down while the other was open!

(03 May 2023, 11:08 am)deanmachine There's always going to be boundaries like this though. There'll always be someone missing out where you draw the line, the only way this could be resolved is by a national strategy so all buses have subsidised fares, like the £2 single, although I'm sure people on the Scottish borders will have similar troubles.

X10 has different fares for under 19s now,  depending on whether you are travelling across Peterlee or not

RE: Pricing - omnicity4659 - 04 May 2023

(04 Apr 2023, 8:20 am)F114TML Also move the name of the ticket somewhere else - I'm often getting people on who show the ticket but I can't see what it is because they've just received a text or something.
That notification is often deliberate to hide the under-zoning or wrong ticket!

(04 Apr 2023, 8:21 am)N1cholas Wonder if stagecoach would do the same, so many people who think dayriders and megariders are valid on go north east services when they are not
GNE do it on some tickets - just not the majority of them. I'll suggest this idea to our lot, can't remember if there's a part in the app that allows descriptions when showing tickets.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 04 May 2023

I get the point you're making, but the boundaries are always going to need to be drawn somewhere and someone will always complain that it adversely impacts them. The local authority political boundaries make sense, because that's how funding is allocated, budgeted and spent. 

If there was something done between Bishop Auckland and Darlington to include it within this new County Durham zone, for the reasons you mention, then who is going to pay for it; Transport North East or Darlington Council? 

Just because it's not covered in these tickets, it doesn't stop Arriva or Northern doing something commercially with their bus or train fares between the two places.

RE: Pricing - Storx - 04 May 2023

(04 May 2023, 10:02 am)Adrian I get the point you're making, but the boundaries are always going to need to be drawn somewhere and someone will always complain that it adversely impacts them. The local authority political boundaries make sense, because that's how funding is allocated, budgeted and spent. 

If there was something done between Bishop Auckland and Darlington to include it within this new County Durham zone, for the reasons you mention, then who is going to pay for it; Transport North East or Darlington Council? 

Just because it's not covered in these tickets, it doesn't stop Arriva or Northern doing something commercially with their bus or train fares between the two places.

Aye agreed about the funding element but imo they should just have another zone for Tees Valley and work together with the Tees Valley CA on pricing.

https://connectteesvalley.com/smartzoneteesrider/ - There's already a ticket doing it anyway, that easily could be the 4th zone. It's not as if anyone is going to lose out as it's the same 3 operators down there as up here anyway and offer's better value for everyone.

I can't imagine there's many people travelling from the likes of Middlesbrough to Alnwick every day, or even Newcastle really.

RE: Pricing - DeltaMan - 04 May 2023

(04 Apr 2023, 8:21 am)N1cholas Wonder if stagecoach would do the same, so many people who think dayriders and megariders are valid on go north east services when they are not

The issue is operators themselves marketing the headline products as 'unlimited travel' incorrectly - leading to arguments with the driver when a ticket is incorrectly sold and then lost customer as irregular users give up. This issue is far worse in areas where operators do the bare minimum to inform (literally a note on an app)

There are countless examples of operators doing that on the sides and backs of buses. I literally saw that on the back of an Xlines decker this morning with zero context.

If all Transport operators were being customer minded (Metro and Ferry included), then the Network One would be the topline product on offer with a cheaper 'own brand/mode' clearly marked.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 04 May 2023

(04 May 2023, 11:09 am)DeltaMan The issue is operators themselves marketing the headline products as 'unlimited travel' incorrectly - leading to arguments with the driver when a ticket is incorrectly sold and then lost customer as irregular users give up. This issue is far worse in areas where operators do the bare minimum to inform (literally a note on an app)

There are countless examples of operators doing that on the sides and backs of buses. I literally saw that on the back of an Xlines decker this morning with zero context.

If all Transport operators were being customer minded (Metro and Ferry included), then the Network One would be the topline product on offer with a cheaper 'own brand/mode' clearly marked.

I mean this is really one of the biggest failings of deregulated public transport. Fare structures are far too complex and most customers are never going to understand them. In an ideal world, fares would be regulated and with a single zonal/price structure across the board, valid on any form of public transport.

Whilst the new tickets from the 1st July are good, it's still half-arsed and has in fact added an extra layer of ticketing on top of what we've got already. If you opt for the County Durham £4 day ticket, it's great and you can use it across all operators. If you're a regular traveller though, you need to purchase a County Durham ticket from either Go North East or Arriva (same name on three products!), and it's not going to be valid outside of the issuing operator.

The ideal solution would be to rip everything up and start again...

RE: Pricing - omnicity4659 - 04 May 2023

we (Stagecoach) should be withdrawing our own brand tickets from sale when they're superseded by the BSIP ones.

U19/VIP Singles are being replaced by the £1 singles shortly.

RE: Pricing - Storx - 04 May 2023

(04 May 2023, 7:10 pm)omnicity4659 we (Stagecoach) should be withdrawing our own brand tickets from sale when they're superseded by the BSIP ones.

U19/VIP Singles are being replaced by the £1 singles shortly.

Surprised at that, it's quite a hike from £4.50 to £6.00 for people who live in the West End, for example, where multi operator tickets are a waste of time for most people.

RE: Pricing - Thomas12 - 04 May 2023

(04 May 2023, 7:58 pm)Storx Surprised at that, it's quite a hike from £4.50 to £6.00 for people who live in the West End, for example, where multi operator tickets are a waste of time for most people.

Especially if/when the £2 singles end, and the rip off Stagecoach single fares return!

RE: Pricing - Storx - 05 May 2023

(04 May 2023, 9:33 pm)Thomas12 Especially if/when the £2 singles end, and the rip off Stagecoach single fares return!

Yeah totally agreed wonder if there might be more ticket types which haven't been announced yet but they can't because it would leak the Northumberland Rail prices. 

Something like. 

Bus Only - £4
Train + Bus (Northumberland) - £5
Train + Bus + Metro (T&W) - £6
Everywhere - £6.80

Would explain the random price differences between each zone that exists.

RE: Pricing - omnicity4659 - 05 May 2023

(04 May 2023, 7:58 pm)Storx Surprised at that, it's quite a hike from £4.50 to £6.00 for people who live in the West End, for example, where multi operator tickets are a waste of time for most people.

sorry, meant to say if the BSIP tickets are cheaper! own-brand remain if they're not deemed "redundant"

I'd also say the majority of people between Newcastle and the A69 have Network One tickets for some reason, although I suspect that they're mostly bought in error, based on how frequently they're on and off the 39 and 40!

RE: Pricing - busmanT - 06 May 2023

(05 May 2023, 6:01 am)Storx Yeah totally agreed wonder if there might be more ticket types which haven't been announced yet but they can't because it would leak the Northumberland Rail prices. 

Something like. 

Bus Only - £4
Train + Bus (Northumberland) - £5
Train + Bus + Metro (T&W) - £6
Everywhere - £6.80

Would explain the random price differences between each zone that exists.
The "random" prices are the result of political involvement!

RE: Pricing - Rob44 - 06 May 2023

(05 May 2023, 8:10 pm)omnicity4659 sorry, meant to say if the BSIP tickets are cheaper! own-brand remain if they're not deemed "redundant"

I'd also say the majority of people between Newcastle and the A69 have Network One tickets for some reason, although I suspect that they're mostly bought in error, based on how frequently they're on and off the 39 and 40!

The crocodile has a network 1 all zone ticket when she only uses it on the 28/28b/29 services but its actually cheaper than the BNE one ( so she says) due to a massive discount she gets through work.  It also means when she gets kicked off at gateshead cause the bus is ( fill in excuse here ) ............... she can get the metro rather than wait for a bus to continue her journey